Random thoughts on SuckerPunch

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By thehummingbird

Going into see SuckerPunch last night I was extremely ecstatic and overwhelmed, I had thought of the movie as almost being a cross between Rule of Rose, and Alice and Wonderland, meets an insane asylum. My expectations was not far off, the movie was full of symbolism and wonder, I think most of the cause for the bad reviews, is because the reviewers seem to be to ignorant themselves to even be able to comprehend the message SuckerPunch offered. My topic however was not intended to enlighten you on the ignorance our society seems to suffer from, but  show some of why the artistic vision of SuckerPunch, was at least to me almost magical. The movie starts out with an extremely well thought out opening offering us both a disconnected since from the main character, as well as a perfect song choice, which I think the lyrics on the surface may seem to fit the movie perfectly, but I dare anyone to go annotate this song in depth, and really see how well it matches up.  Getting back on topic the opening the disconnected feeling from our female hero here is offered to place the movie in a more storybook format, also the disconnection could be used to help emphasize the intended dream like state through out the whole movie. This is where I believe the movie begins to lose people is when BabyDoll's dream turns into yet another dream. This is not like inception at all. To add I have know idea why anyone thought Inception was original. It offered less mind screw than 99% of the anime I have watched, SuckerPunch on the other hand offered plenty of things to entertain the mind and allow to think and even take it down to a more psychological level, of what all the possible and symbolic meanings of BabyDoll's dream could be. In her first dream BabyDoll is I guess a form of Stripper, this is a very I think by most standards a demeaning job to have, while her dream within this dream, is where she is in a position of power. Both of these circumstances are imagined by her, own by which she serves, and where she herself is in control. Just that can offer us so much insight into BabyDoll's inner conflict and struggle. Not to mention the circumstances which BabyDoll goes into the asylum under. It may seemed stereotyped, but the way the ideas are presented are not. Rather than relying on hefty dialogue, the movie revolves mainly around the symbolism through the actions of the characters. I am not referring to the symbolic meaning, however of the five key items, while I think they were essential to the story I do not think their symbolic meaning was as essential, as many of the others. I thought another amazing thing about SuckerPunch, was how they made BabyDoll, turn into almost three different characters allowing her to complete at least three different heroes journey charts. The crossing from the known to the unknown was constant as well as the characters call to action, it was always different, as I said you could almost divide into three completely different people. Sorry this is more of a rant than anything else.....So how did everyone else like the movie? any insights....MY ONLY COMPLAINT WOULD BE THE PG-13 RATING IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN R AND THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE EDITED IT I BELIEVE THIS WOULD HAVE ADDED MORE CHARACTER COMPLEXITY AND EXPLAIN A LOT MORE! I will just buy the unrated blu-ray though...>.> sorry for the rant...and perhaps throughly annotate my thoughts rather than just throwing them around like this...and actually explain what I mean...

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I can't really give my Opinion as i haven't seen it yet. But you make it some like it has great character development as well as being deep psychological wise. So you've convinced me to go see it.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thehummingbird
@The Umbra Sorcerer:  

The psychological levels are good, it is the character development that is more subtle, and I think the edited scenes would have offered more insight into the character they were just to dirty to include, so the movie seemed to action based when in fact, it just lacked some of the dirty scenes that added to our characters...I hope you like it, XD but do not blame me for my bad review if you do not.....>.> I might have overly interpreted it some..I do that with everything...^.^' Even the actions scenes are fun to watch though the girls are stylistically amazing and the affects (which I normally do not emphasize much I believe story over looks) were great...Like I said because of the edits their seems to be more action..because it is more appropriate for a PG-13 movie...than sex scenes and abuse....
Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thehummingbird: Ahhh i see. Your right then they should have just changed the rating to include the better scenes. Everyone would have seen it eventually no matter what the age rating or the age of the person. But i have to agree do tend to interpret things a bit much myself esp in books and stories i tend to do it. But im sure i will enjoy it none the less. 
Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Well, I dont really plan on seeing sucker punch, but it maybe ill rent it if its as good as you say it is.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
Sucker Punch was a strange movie IMO... the Action Scenes in the Film were Incredible... and there were a good bundle of them... but the overall plot of the film was very eh... lackluster to say the least... the Movie was not Terrible nor was it Four Stars... I would give it like a 6.5 / 10... the action scenes were too great to give it something less...
jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jeanlucpicard

For me, it's one of those 5 dollar bin movies or d/l off the internet watch like 15 minutes of it and then delete it.
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I almost thought about going to see this in theaters but I wasn't sure if it was going to be a huge misfire, so I'll wait for when it comes out on blu-ray.

Avatar image for valendianknight
ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValendianKnight

I have not seen it but I highly doubt Snyder had any deep rooted intention other than giving scantly clad women weapons and making them fight a melting pot of ideas from other movies, like samurais and robots. I hope the movie proves me wrong but it's doubtful it will. People will seek meaning in anything, even when it's not there.