Ralph Miliband and the "Daily Mail", who is the real"hater of Britain"???

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

British readers may have noted the flap over last week's article in the "Daily Mail" claiming that Ralph Miliband, father of Labour leader Ed, "hated Britain"( and implied that the "apple didn't fall far from the tree"- in other words, like father, like son) because he was a Marxist academic, citing diary entries as well as a claim that we would have welcomed an Argentinian victory in the 1982 "Falklands War".

Critics have noted that reading between the lines, the article( ironically written by one Geoffrey Levy, presumably himself of "the Hebraic persuasion"- ie Jewish as are the Milibands, although they are not conventionally practising) sugested that Miliband senior( and rpesumably his son) was a quintessential unpatriotic outsider, ie a "rootless cosmopolitan" as both Nazis and Stalinists would have termed Jews.

Leaving aside the dubious history of the "Mail" in the 1930s when it not only supported Mosley's British Union Of Fascists and appeasement of the Nazis( as late as July 1939, the paper's proprietor Viscount Rothermere publicly and proudly posed for a "he's my pal" style photo with Nazi leader Adolf Hitler), the attack on a long dead family member of an opposition politician strikes me as "dirty pool". Several commentators(including several of his former students at the London School Of Economics and a biographer, neither of whom subscirbed to his politics) noted that the diary entries used to support the charge that Miliband pere "hated Britain" were cherry picked and quoted out of their immediate political context( ie as part of a criticism of the complacency of the pre-war British leadership, made also by the late George Orwell) and that he had served his adopted country in the Royal Navy when he was old enough to enlist for military service.

We may not have agreed with Miliband pere;s Marxist views but unlike his colleague Eric Hobsbawn( an unregenerate Stalinist if ever there was one), there was never the slightest evidence that he supported or defended regimes such as Stalin's Soviet Union, Mao's China or Castro's Cuba( unlike the Mail's flacking for the BUF or the Third Reich- what was that about support for tyrannical ideologies or regimes?)

I admit that the charge of "anti-Semitism" or "self-hating Jew" is often bandied around irresponsibly(esp to demonize critics of the policies of the State of israel. If a given critic is a Gentile, then he or she is an"anti-Semite", if Jewish, they are "self-hating Jews"-talk about heads I win, tails you lose!), but it seems hard not to note the overtones of prejudice that Levy's article contained.

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#1 BumpyBoo  Moderator

I think really that the article was grasping at straws, and certainly trying to imply all manner of unsavoury things with regards to Miliband Snr - more ludicrous still when you see what they are allegedly basing these claims on. To say they are stretching the evidence is an understatement. That this supposed "scandal" should occur when Ed has just made what is, by most accounts, the most successful speech of his career, at a time when his talk of repealing the bedroom tax etc. is finally causing people to discuss him as a serious candidate for Prime Minister - well it is hardly a coincidence. Typical Tory smear tactics, IMO, and reminiscent for me of the communist accusations levelled at anyone with half a heart or any sympathy toward the poor in early 20th Century USA :/

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Daily Mail should not be taken seriously as a newspaper. They are an incredibly bias news paper with a right wing agenda. They will continue and always have made up such stories.

They are loving all the attention they are getting with this story.

I am not a supporter of any political party but anyone with half a brain can smell the rotten stench of the Mail from a mile off. Except for those who enjoy being fed such ignorant biases.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BumpyBoo  Moderator

The Daily Mail should not be taken seriously as a newspaper. They are an incredibly bias news paper with a right wing agenda. They will continue and always have made up such stories.

I am not a supporter of any political party but anyone with half a brain can smell the rotten stench of the Mail from a mile off. Except for those who enjoy being fed such ignorant biases.

YES. Oh my gosh yes, very nicely said :)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By laflux

@bumpyboo said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I think this might impress you guys

Loading Video...

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@laflux: Thanks, hadn't seen that. Hehe, good on him! What a hero >:)

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@laflux: He summed things up rather nicely there. I actually managed to catch that bit on the TV.

@bumpyboo said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Thanks. What you said was spot on too :)

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Chaos Prime

Gutter press at its finest thats the Daily Mail.

Talk about he who is free from sin cast the first stone.This publication as already mentioned has a history of being associated with some very shady characters/Groups.

I do hope Ed takes this as far as he can & takes em to the cleaners.