• 105 results
#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

I made this thread in light of the recent cheerios commercial that was released.

Well as you can see, the commercial features an interracial couple. It's not something to be in outrage over considering today's society. But the literal controversy that this ad made forced youtube to close the comments section. Lot's of people were in disgust about it and were throwing out racial slurs like the N word and even said they "wanted to hurl."

So I wanted to see what you think.

#2 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

I made this thread in light of the recent cheerios commercial that was released.

Well as you can see, the commercial features an interracial couple. It's not something to be in outrage over considering today's society. But the literal controversy that this ad made forced youtube to close the comments section. Lot's of people were in disgust about it and were throwing out racial slurs like the N word and even said they "wanted to hurl." I honestly see nothing wrong with it and am surprised.

So I wanted to see what you think.

I actually love this commercial.And the simple fact that some people don't like seeing an interracial couple in a commercial (or even in society) is f*cking pathetic and biased.These are the type of people incapable of logical thought.

And it's not like that racist Mountain Dew commercial. But I am honestly in disgust with those people and disappointed and I applaud Cheetos for this.Apparently some people are still ignorant as they used to be. Thankfully,they are in the minority...but they are still a problem...

#3 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing that bother me about this is that there'd be cheerios all over the floor/couch, etc. Very untidy.

Anyway, racism is bad, interracial relationships are fine. Simple enough. :)

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

That's one of my favorite commercials.

#5 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing that bother me about this is that there'd be cheerios all over the floor/couch, etc. Very untidy.

Anyway, racism is bad, interracial relationships are fine. Simple enough. :)

lol this. She better clean it up.

And what's funny is that I've seen the comments before they were taken down and the comments of other videos. I mainly saw people approve of this commercial,however,I also saw ignorant bias bigoted racists who still believe in their intolerant,ignorant bigoted thinking.These illogical people really make me sad and it's also sad how sometimes they have more impact than the modern,logical majority. (It's also ignorant to think that it was just white men and black women that found this offensive.(of course not all,not even most or half,that goes without saying).But it was also people of any race and black men and white women that also found this offensive.Kinda ignorant to think that it's only (some) white men and (some) black women.) But still,sad how some people refuse logic and even fact and only act upon raw bias.

#6 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people have a preference and they want to be with people that look like them.

Liberals always want to shout "racism" when there isn't any.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12950 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people have a preference and they want to be with people that look like them.

but that doesn't explain why people would start whining and throwing racial slurs when an interracial couple is portrayed in a commercial does it?

#9 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually found the ignorance from the comments amazing.Again,while majority are logical human beings,other people are ignorant and biased bigots.

I read from one comment:

I didn't expect any different from White people (or White men)

This actually made me sad.It really does. The ignorance in these statements. In my head,I already dissected and debunked that illogical ignorant statement,but the fact that many people are this simple-minded and bigoted just makes me f***ing sad.Sometimes,I just have a feeling to condone murderers and serial killers. While people like this aren't necessarily racist by definition,they do have REALLY racist and ignorant views....IDK why,but it seems like Ignorance and Bias is the enemy of logic. Or maybe the absence of it.

#10 Posted by nickthedevil (12066 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... I a dark haired hispanic/ Lebanese guy who's having children with a ginger girl.

Come at me, bro.

#11 Posted by Mattersuit (4270 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism bad.

We can all agree on that.

#12 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is, the YouTube comments section is a horrible horrible place and just because it got shut down because a bunch of anonymous 15 year old's spewed racial hate (whats new?) it doesn't reflect on anyone aside from how horrible internet trolls can be.

#13 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well,such a beautiful commercial. Just still shows how ignorant people can be. Or more on the lines of how the ignorant minority sticks out.

And just for the ignorant retard who posted the comment I stated earlier. There are racists in every race. No more in any other. That means that there are racist black people,racist white people,racist asian people,racist latinos/latinas,etc. That comment just showed me how irrational and ignorant some people can be.And people like him (or worse,people who are actually racist) that are incapable of rational/logical thought,while at the same time ignorant and bias and even with views that are not even based on fact. Just based on intolerance and bigotry and bias and ignorance.The same people who have NOT ONE logical thought in their head to recognize fact and the same bigots who can make such a beautiful commercial controversial.

I agree with this article:

http://www.parents.com/blogs/dadabase/2013/06/05/deep-thoughts/the-just-checking-cheerios-ad-minus-the-racist-trolls/

Just....ignorant/

#14 Posted by The Stegman (23941 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it on YouTube? If so, the racism can be expected.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with interracial relationships.

#15 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

You Tube is the wild west, with zero rules or moderation, if there is, I'm not seeing it. Never take what they say as serious.

as for Interracial dating, it's all good

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

That is just plain sad, pathetic ignorant and quite staggering that they actually had to block the comments because of the amount of racism. I mean its a bloody cheerios advert that pops up on a video that you ignore and click the "skip ad" button. But oh no the bigot brigade are out in full force on the cheerio advert. Obviously those people don't have the brain capacity to do anything else but spam a cheerio advert video. Uhhh

On another not...

That advert did make me chuckle a bit when he had all the cheerios on him. Id put them back in the box and still eat them. Am I just frugal or would anyone else do that? I mean it does seem like a waste.

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

You Tube is the wild west, with zero rules or moderation, if there is, I'm not seeing it. Never take what they say as serious.

some people on there are just like us,however....logical

That is just plain sad, pathetic ignorant and quite staggering that they actually had to block the comments because of the amount of racism. I mean its a bloody cheerios advert that pops up on a video that you ignore and click the "skip ad" button. But oh no the bigot brigade are out in full force on the cheerio advert. Obviously those people don't have the brain capacity to do anything else but spam a cheerio advert video. Uhhh

On another not...

That advert did make me chuckle a bit when he had all the cheerios on him. Id put them back in the box and still eat them. Am I just frugal or would anyone else do that? I mean it does seem like a waste.

lol. Cheerio prices are high.

But ignorance is something sad,isn't it?

#18 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

On another not...

They are? I don't really eat them that often to be honest.

It is but it comes in leaps and bounds that is the real sad thing.

#19 Edited by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

On another not...

yup. It usually comes from Ignorant and Bias bigots who are incapable of rational thought and don't really base their views on logic or fact,but it seems the opposite.

And it's sad that this minority can have such a high influence (they are one of the highest trolls out there). And some people have ignorance and/or bias,but to a lesser degree.

Like,for example,thinking that mainly black people are ghetto,or that white people are racially insensitive (or just racist). Or just thinking that race means anything (like that,if you are black/white,then you most likely like rap/country music.Or just ignorant generalizations in general).

Or thinking that Italian= loves pizza

Or just thinking that race actually means anything.

But these people,in this case that are intolerant bigots seem to be afraid of change and logic.

#20 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

On another not...

yup. It usually comes from Ignorant and Bias bigots who are incapable of rational thought and don't really base their views on logic or fact,but it seems the opposite.

And it's sad that this minority can have such a high influence (they are one of the highest trolls out there). And some people have ignorance and/or bias,but to a lesser degree.

Like,for example,thinking that mainly black people are ghetto,or that white people are racially insensitive (or just racist). Or just thinking that race means anything (like that,if you are black/white,then you most likely like rap/country music.Or just ignorant generalizations in general).

Yeah. But then I do wonder if its such a small minority or not at times. I mean all of humanity is ignorant to a degree. Guess it depends on what degree each person is ignorant to though really.

#21 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (24111 posts) - - Show Bio

This,the comments on Youtube is probably the worse on the internet. As for Interracial dating,we are all humans,we share 99.9% of the same gene Genomes ,we are one and the same if you say otherwise you are going against facts.Race is only what we humans perceive it to be,personally I have no problem with Interracial dating.

#22 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

This,the comments on Youtube is probably the worse on the internet. As for Interracial dating,we are all humans,we share 99% of the same gene Genome,we are one and the same if you say otherwise you are going against facts.Race is only what we humans perceive it to be,personally I have no problem with Interracial dating.

agreed.Race means nothing (socially anyway).

#23 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

That ad was pretty cute. I do not know what peoples problem is with interracial dating or marriage its about high time we do away with segregating people or even categorizing people by color of there skin. From now on we should all just be humans.

#24 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6450 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the commercial is adorable. But anyway, as for the racist YouTube comments, what do you expect? It's YouTube. Mostly just trolls being stupid anyway.

#25 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm cool with interracial dating/marriages. I read some article where apparently children of mixed heritage have both a physical and mental advantage on a genetic level. Plus, many of the mixed girls I know look gorgeous ;D

@br_havoc said:

That ad was pretty cute. I do not know what peoples problem is with interracial dating or marriage its about high time we do away with segregating people or even categorizing people by color of there skin. From now on we should all just be humans.

Someone's been reading Uncanny Avengers....xD

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Being surprised by racist Youtube comments is like being surprised by cold ice.

#27 Posted by russellmania77 (15017 posts) - - Show Bio

Ze hal

#28 Posted by Racob7 (5540 posts) - - Show Bio
@br_havoc said:

#29 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

What a cute little girl and a cute commercial and it's about freaking time. I was in a store not long ago and noticed a four sided display for something (don't actually remember what) but on the top of each side, the four major racial food groups were represented: brown, black, white and Asian. All couples with one to two children, nothing interracial, everyone keeping to themselves and it made me laugh at the stupidity. To me, a hot girl is a hot girl, regardless of color, same with anyone else I wish to get along with. Humanity has to get over this backwards notion that different skin color means bad. It's why aliens refuse to show themselves damn it! They are laughing at us! Laughing I say!!!

#30 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: LOL why yes I have been reading Uncanny Avengers, I personally thought that it did a good job making that point.

@racob7: Very wise words from Morgan Freeman.

#31 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Great commercial! I'm white dating a punjabi girl and youtube isn't the only place you get comments... People tend to stare as well

#32 Edited by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that interracial dating is still an issue in some circles is pretty sad..

#33 Edited by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

No one is offended by this commercial.

#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

That has absolutely nothing to do with the controversy OP was talking about.

#35 Posted by mikethekiller (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't we just all get along.

#36 Posted by Edamame (28080 posts) - - Show Bio

There's nothing wrong with it.

#37 Edited by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

Great commercial! I'm white dating a punjabi girl and youtube isn't the only place you get comments... People tend to stare as well

well those people are ignorant bigots. You two have a right to date each other if you damn please. For people to even think regardless or anything akin to that is not only pathetic,but ignorant and just wrong (not even talking morals).

@edamame said:

There's nothing wrong with it.

agreed.

#38 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that interracial dating is still an issue in some circles is pretty sad..

#39 Edited by Edamame (28080 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Right? I mean, if you like someone, then you should simply start a relationship with him/her. I don't see what the big deal is.

Some people are just too complicated for me. lol :(

#40 Edited by Dabee (2386 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, when I first saw this, I thought it was going to be a debate over whether interracial dating was okay or not. (If you started the thread, I would assume you were against it.)

I'm glad it's not like that, I was hoping it was something better. I love the commercial, though, lol. There are idiots everywhere, especially in the YouTube comments section.

@hawkguy said:

Mind me asking where you live? Not like, address and polar coordinates and everything, but like... South?

I think you're missing the point. ALSO: Don't make this political, please.

@docnick said:

Well... I a dark haired hispanic/ Lebanese guy who's having children with a ginger girl.

Come at me, bro.

I think your kids are going to have superpowers.

Also, congratulations! :-D

#41 Edited by JulieDC (909 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm biracial (black/white) and I remember looking up at the TV at the same time this commercial came on (normally I ignore the television altogether) and I was actually quite shocked to see it. I live in one of the most segregated cities in the Midwest where people had a hissy fit over an interracial couple appearing on a local magazine. So the first thing that came to my mind was that "Cheerios is going to anger a lot of people". Wasn't surprised to find that they in fact got into trouble over it.

Oddly enough, for all the racism I hear about interracial dating where I live and towards me, I never got offended by being called the n word or half breed or mutt...but I do tend to find myself getting annoyed by people that love to say they are colorblind. There is something very paternalistic about it and it always felt like it denied reality as if acknowledging race is a bad thing.

#42 Posted by Joygirl (19401 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my gato, for seriously, just shtoop whoever you want. Interracial breeding actually strengthens our genetics anyway, kinda like asari.

#43 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: no I actually live near Toronto in Canada! Doesn't bother me at all though, in fact, sometimes we look weirdly right back at them, even act like we're whispering things about them :D

#44 Posted by SOG7dc (6992 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

1. We're all one race. the human one

2. that commercial was beautiful in every way....except for wasting perfectly good cheerios

3. any woman and I mean any woman who has a beautiful heart and mind is my type

and 4. "race" is really meaningless to me. you look how you look. look at me:

im mixed with indian, Mexican, white, black (I know shocking right) French, and Dominican. but you wouldn't know unless I told you

#45 Posted by akbogert (3217 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, if you had just posted the commercial, I would have smiled, thought "well, that was nice, but maybe not worth making a thread about" and moved on. The fact that the couple was interracial legitimately would not have even registered as a thing.

I'm kind of sad that for many people it is.

#46 Edited by ARMIV2 (8434 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what I did when I saw this commercial for the first time? "Oh, hey, that's pretty cool. That is one cute kid. I like Cheerios."

Racism is flat out retarded.Interracial relationships are awesome. As I am the proud product of a mix-race union, I back 100% people of different ethnicities wanting to get together. People who get offended at this sort of thing make me feel sick. Does the idea of a black man and a white woman being together make them feel bad? Is it their child? Well without trying to incur too much hate into my words here, f*** those guys right around the corner. Almost everyone I know is a mutt in some way or another, does the thought of such people (such as myself, not even!) going about on the planet disgust the naysayers of this commercial so much? Well f*** those guys again.

#47 Edited by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio
@sog7dc said:

@pfcoolio14:

2. that commercial was beautiful in every way....except for wasting perfectly good cheerios

im mixed with indian, Mexican, white, black (I know shocking right) French, and Dominican. but you wouldn't know unless I told you

Damn...your family history is all over the place! And....what are you so happy about!?

@armiv2 said:

You know what I did when I saw this commercial for the first time? "Oh, hey, that's pretty cool. That is one cute kid. I like Cheerios."

Racism is flat out retarded.Interracial relationships are awesome. As I am the proud product of a mix-race union, I back 100% people of different ethnicities wanting to get together. People who get offended at this sort of thing make me feel sick. Does the idea of a black man and a white woman being together make them feel bad? Is it their child? Well without trying to incur too much hate into my words here, f*** those guys right around the corner. Almost everyone I know is a mutt in some way or another, does the thought of such people (such as myself, not even!) going about on the planet disgust the naysayers of this commercial so much? Well f*** those guys again.

completely agree.Race means nothing. I think that anyone can date whoever they damn want. I don't know why ignorant illogical/irrational bigots must exist.Thank god they are in the minority but dammit they are annoying.

#48 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:

Wow cameron, this must be a sensitive topic to you, you've posted like15 times already

#49 Posted by SOG7dc (6992 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@pfcoolio14:

Damn...your family history is all over the place! And....what are you so happy about!?

@armiv2 said:

completely agree.Race means nothing. I think that anyone can date whoever they damn want. I don't know why ignorant illogical/irrational bigots must exist.Thank god they are in the minority but dammit they are annoying.

I know right lol I love my family though. you should have seen the look on my sisters' boyfriends face when he came to meet us and saw two "black" older brothers lol. and im so happy because of I finally got my ears pierced lol

#50 Posted by cameron83 (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:

Wow cameron, this must be a sensitive topic to you, you've posted like15 times already

lol sorry.I get out of control sometimes.I just hate ignorance and bigotry/bias (bigotry is a form of bias).

I mean....why are earthlings so f***ing stupid!!