• 61 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by pooty (11437 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I'm naive on this subject. But I thought race relations were getting better in America. I see different races working together, eating together, laughing together, having babies together. Of course I knew a few select people were still racist but this is WAY more then I thought. I can't link from my computer so maybe the first commenter can link this page for me:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/27/14740413-ap-poll-majority-harbor-prejudice-against-blacks?lite&ocid=msnhp

#2 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course It Is

#3 Posted by SC (13266 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats the tricky thing. Chances are race relations are getting better in America, in some ways. In other ways it might be getting worse. In other ways it might be getting more divergent and complicated. That affects how people should be polled, which creates inconsistency with comparing data which... so on. Then you have variables like people being more honest and upfront about questions involving race, you might even have backlash from progress. Had a rough look though - some interesting stuff covered in link.  
 
Here it is linked for the now.  
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/27/14740413-ap-poll-majority-harbor-prejudice-against-blacks?lite&ocid=msnhp 

Moderator
#4 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignorance imo by People that have not contact with other communites.

I live in London & have friends from all types of back rounds & the majority of problems i have had have been with young white males.Not saying ive never had a confrontation with a Black Guy but the majority seem to be young white guys.

& believe me the area of North London where im from has a large black community from the West Indies,Nigeria & East African countries.

#5 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's growing per se, I just think people are being more brazen about it.

#6 Posted by pooty (11437 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Prime: Ignorance imo by People that have not contact with other communites.

That has a lot to do with it. There are entire STATES, not just cities, that population is less then 5% minority. all the majority can go by is what they see in the media.

#7 Posted by King Saturn (224502 posts) - - Show Bio
some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. 
[=
#8 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

This could have been predicted. Aside from that i'll be nitpicky here. Why is it that the article refers to whites as americans yet the minority is referred to as blacks, and Latinos. ow are they any more american the black or hispanic people?

#10 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

This could have been predicted. Aside from that i'll be nitpicky here. Why is it that the article refers to whites as americans yet the minority is referred to as blacks, and Latinos. ow are they any more american the black or hispanic people?

Of Course, White people build this all by themselves.

>_>

#11 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

This could have been predicted. Aside from that i'll be nitpicky here. Why is it that the article refers to whites as americans yet the minority is referred to as blacks, and Latinos. ow are they any more american the black or hispanic people?

Of Course, White people build this all by themselves.

>_>

Yea i know

#12 Posted by cameron83 (7562 posts) - - Show Bio

Things like this I just don't really care about anymore.I've stopped caring long time ago.

#13 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

The internet has given people balls to say what they really felt, and to find people who think like minded as them. Its not that its increasing, its that is showing more. Its like saying there are more gay people now than a hundred years ago. That wouldn't be true, its actually more people are out than they were a hundred years ago.

#14 Posted by mikethekiller (8463 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a lot more racist are just coming out of the closet so to speak.

#15 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@Chaos Prime: Ignorance imo by People that have not contact with other communites.

That has a lot to do with it. There are entire STATES, not just cities, that population is less then 5% minority. all the majority can go by is what they see in the media.

I agree with u..Same here in the UK.Probably not cities but some town & Villages still think that tea can only be drunk in china Tea cups & that every muslim is a terrorist.

#16 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

Wwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaa....

Stereotypes yeah, but full out racism. I wouldn't have ever guessed.

#17 Posted by Nefarious (21429 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised.

#18 Posted by The Stegman (25166 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism to me, is the single most illogical thing on the planet, I can get if you dislike someone due to experiences you've had with that one person, but to hate an entire race, often times without any sound reason why is just lunacy...but hey, we're human, hating is what we do best I guess.

#19 Posted by TheThe (1748 posts) - - Show Bio

"I have a dream" . Nearly 50 years later, the dream has still to come true.

#20 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

The race war

Who will win?

lol

#21 Posted by Dernman (15264 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody.

#22 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

This could have been predicted. Aside from that i'll be nitpicky here. Why is it that the article refers to whites as americans yet the minority is referred to as blacks, and Latinos. ow are they any more american the black or hispanic people?

Maybe to specify what white people they are talking about in the article. I don't imagine the ratio of racist whites in any given country is the same. ...that or the dude that wrote it is just ignorant.@pooty said:

@Chaos Prime: Ignorance imo by People that have not contact with other communites.

That has a lot to do with it. There are entire STATES, not just cities, that population is less then 5% minority. all the majority can go by is what they see in the media.

OMG yes! I can't even tell you how many of my relatives think I live in the ghetto just because black families live on my block. It's so stupid.

#23 Posted by Lunacyde (19453 posts) - - Show Bio

I would never put all of my faith in one particular poll.

However, although a good number of people don't care about race, I think the number of extremists and people on the fringe is indeed growing. I don't think the average person is any more racist now, but it's my perception that the people out away from the middle are becoming more polarized.

#24 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Mostly down South, Up north, people are willing to physically fight the racists.

@The Stegman said:

Racism to me, is the single most illogical thing on the planet, I can get if you dislike someone due to experiences you've had with that one person, but to hate an entire race, often times without any sound reason why is just lunacy...but hey, we're human, hating is what we do best I guess.

It is but afte ra while, you learn the reasons behind it.

#25 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

(Unrelated) Where I live there are more racist blacks and Hispanics than whites. It's not just whites, it's pretty much everyone these days. There are more anti-white hate crimes where I live (Los Angeles) than anywhere I have ever lived and I have lived in some rough places.

#26 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobiwankenobi said:

Wwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaa....

Stereotypes yeah, but full out racism. I wouldn't have ever guessed.

This.

#27 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Have them keep an eye out for red boot laces. Apparently it's a thing with them and they'll attack random people to 'earn them'. Stupid but makes them a bit easier to spot.

#28 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it "growing" or are people just more vocal? Polls are funny in that you can have several with contradicting results. Not saying this poll is wrong, or even inaccurate, but it is a poll. There's a new poll that says interracial marriages are not only at an alltime high, but that they earn (as a household) more then "traditional same race marriages." I thought that was an encouraging poll as the product of such a union myself. Anyway, as for the topic, I dont really know what to think. Racism exists and it always will. But in what forms is what I'm more concerned with. I could care less if people dont like a race, and as such, choose to avoid them. But if its preventing qualified people from employment, couples from getting married, or random violence, then that I have a problem with.

#29 Posted by Owie (3814 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I saw this poll and I think it makes sense. When something is seen as being on the downswing, but then examples of it are put in their face, they get riled up. So people have generally gotten more accepting of race in some ways, but then when you've got a black president, the people who are less comfortable with people from other races feel threatened, and get more vocal, and that puts it in the public forum again. Eventually it will go down, but it will take a while for some people to get over the fact that whites are not going to be the majority for much longer.

#30 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought was that this was just another poll which skews numbers. But after reading the article -- I'm not so sure. I do believe racism is everywhere, including where I am but there is definitely a sense of it when I visit the States.

What I did find particularly interesting is that Democrats were about 30% likely to exhibit racist attitude as compared to approximately 70% Republican when approached by the poll-takers one on one. You would think that this is obvious but when they took the online test, they were pretty much even. So, if anything, it reveals an ignorance about situations in which ethnic stereo-typing is prevalent. I would love to get a hold of the online test, if only to gauge the subtle nuances between its multiple choice answers.

#31 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism is sick, and to top it off, the Clan's been expanding like crazy to almost 2,000 congregations/affiliates (white supremacist etc.)

But then I notice something...the only racism every bothered to be acknowledged is the one done by white Americans. How many times have I read about a Caucasian elder or a little kid (one was set on fire right after the Treyvon Martin case for the sole purpose of being a white kid) getting the stuffing beat out of them just because they're not a "brother" or "sister"? Heck, the New Black Panthers even advocated the murder and forced abortion of what they called "white cracker babies."

But ask anybody and there's no racism in calling derogatory names to a Caucasian/European white person. You can kill or maim them as much as you want because it ain't racist to do so (although if the cops get a hold of you, that's a whole 'nother story.)

My sociology teacher at one point in my senior year of high school said it plainly: There's only one race-the human race.

It's about time people started getting that through their thick skulls, before more people of any race or religious group gets killed.

And FYI, Republicans are always called racist. But all the times I've been to a Tea Party, there's never been one mention of race. No swastikas. No hate. NOTHING. So I'd much appreciate the people that point fingers at Republicans if they get off their high horses and actually bother to attend a grouping, regardless if you believe in their ideology or not.

Myself, I haven't been to an Occupy Movement. Not so much because I don't agree with them, but that the people there sometimes say and do things that shouldn't be said aloud in public in front of news cameras.

#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Racism to me, is the single most illogical thing on the planet, I can get if you dislike someone due to experiences you've had with that one person, but to hate an entire race, often times without any sound reason why is just lunacy...but hey, we're human, hating is what we do best I guess.

You are on a roll today! Full heartidly this

#33 Posted by The Stegman (25166 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991:  
 


@The Stegman said:

Racism to me, is the single most illogical thing on the planet, I can get if you dislike someone due to experiences you've had with that one person, but to hate an entire race, often times without any sound reason why is just lunacy...but hey, we're human, hating is what we do best I guess.

You are on a roll today! Full heartidly this

I've had not one, but TWO bowls of Wheaties! 
#34 Posted by _Zombie_ (10460 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm absolutely shocked at this revelation.

#35 Posted by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this is news to me.

#36 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

Every race is racist and every race is mistreated. It's just an unfortunate part of life.

#37 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Black said:

Every race is racist and every race is mistreated. It's just an unfortunate part of life.

I was expecting better from a person with the username black

D:

#38 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

And yet they won't mention any of the methods they used to determine these "statistics". I think this is a bunch of baloney.

#39 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38: Hehe, sorry bro.

#40 Posted by pooty (11437 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde: I would never put all of my faith in one particular poll.

Agreed

@NlGHTCRAWLER: It's not just whites, it's pretty much everyone these days.

very true.

@Gambler: I could care less if people dont like a race, and as such, choose to avoid them. But if its preventing qualified people from employment, couples from getting married, or random violence, then that I have a problem with.

Same. I don't care about your feelings, it's your actions that matter

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: But then I notice something...the only racism every bothered to be acknowledged is the one done by white Americans

True but you have to remember not only are they the majority race by numbers but they also have a long long history of racism also

@_Black: Every race is racist and every race is mistreated. It's just an unfortunate part of life.

QFT

@utotheg38 said:

@_Black said:

Every race is racist and every race is mistreated. It's just an unfortunate part of life.

I was expecting better from a person with the username black

D:

I have no idea how you could disagree with his statement. Minorities are racist because of racism shown to them by a few.

#41 Posted by King Saturn (224502 posts) - - Show Bio
@Matchstick said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Have them keep an eye out for red boot laces. Apparently it's a thing with them and they'll attack random people to 'earn them'. Stupid but makes them a bit easier to spot.

hmmm... now this is an very interesting tidbit. 
 
@Jnr6Lil said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Mostly down South, Up north, people are willing to physically fight the racists.


people down here fight racism too... it's just we seem to have more activity from the enemies than up north. 
#42 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

There was no time where xenophobia in the West was decreased. Just authorities who told peeps that times changed and s#!t. People of non-European descent or non-Christian belief will always be seen as second class human beings.

#43 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty:

It depends on where you go though.

I've heard of neighborhoods near me in SoCal where only Mexicans are allowed. If you dare peak in if you're white, black (etc.) you'd wish you weren't born your race.

#44 Edited by Edamame (28310 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I don't think that you can really measure such a thing. A lot of people these days (especially in the West) are politically correct about almost everything so that they don't look or sound bad. It's not like people are going to openly admit and state that they are racist or anything else. This poll also failed to mention that there are Whites who occasionally discriminate against other Whites, Blacks who occasionally discriminate against other Blacks, etc. For instance, there is some tension between the Irish and the Italians in parts of Boston, and the Slavs (especially the Polish) are not always regarded very highly. The Polish are often seen as only "average". The Scots-Irish in America are occasionally regarded as "Appalachia white trash". Furthermore, Blacks occasionally discriminate against each other on the basis of how dark or light one's skin color is. This also happens in some parts of Latin America, India and Africa. You can see what (psychological) effects Colonialism and Slavery can have on certain groups of people around the world.

My point is that people can (and will) discriminate against each other for whatever reason they want to or for whatever reason that can come up with. It's a never-ending process/phenomenon.

#45 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

its surprise me when i saw the poll on the news, but i think racism its stupid its should end.

#46 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edamame said:

Well, I don't think that you can really measure such a thing. A lot of people these days (especially in the West) are politically correct about almost everything so that they don't look or sound bad. It's not like people are going to openly admit and state that they are racist or anything else. This poll also failed to mention that there are Whites who occasionally discriminate against other Whites, Blacks who occasionally discriminate against other Blacks, etc. For instance, there is some tension between the Irish and the Italians in parts of Boston, and the Slavs (especially the Polish) are not always regarded very highly. The Polish are often seen as only "average". The Scots-Irish in America are occasionally regarded as "Appalachia white trash". Furthermore, Blacks occasionally discriminate against each other on the basis of how dark or light one's skin color is. This also happens in some parts of Latin America, India and Africa. You can see what (psychological) effects Colonialism and Slavery can have on certain groups of people around the world.

My point is that people can (and will) discriminate against each other for whatever reason they want to or for whatever reason that can come up with. It's a never-ending process/phenomenon.

That is also true.

Still, the article linked in the OP didn't state how or what methods they used to determine these "statistics", and as most statistics are fudged up the wazoo, I'm pretty sure they're not accurate. Of course "racism" is alive, but it's just another form of people bullying people around for some arbitrary fact, like you pointed out, Edameme. We can't ever get rid of it, and it'll always be fairly prevalent; but I seriously don't think the numbers in the article are accurate. If they are accurate, many of the people who were seen as discriminating against blacks, for example, probably had very mild feelings and they were probably partially justified through past experiences. That's not to say that blacks are bad or anything, but people have bad experiences with other people, and it colors the way they view that group of people (whatever group that might be). It might not be severe though.

Basically, I still don't think it's as big a deal, as a whole, as the article would have us believe. It certainly does exist though.

#47 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

The Time Lord in me is sad to hear this.

#48 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

Racism is sick, and to top it off, the Clan's been expanding like crazy to almost 2,000 congregations/affiliates (white supremacist etc.)

But then I notice something...the only racism every bothered to be acknowledged is the one done by white Americans. How many times have I read about a Caucasian elder or a little kid (one was set on fire right after the Treyvon Martin case for the sole purpose of being a white kid) getting the stuffing beat out of them just because they're not a "brother" or "sister"? Heck, the New Black Panthers even advocated the murder and forced abortion of what they called "white cracker babies."

But ask anybody and there's no racism in calling derogatory names to a Caucasian/European white person. You can kill or maim them as much as you want because it ain't racist to do so (although if the cops get a hold of you, that's a whole 'nother story.)

My sociology teacher at one point in my senior year of high school said it plainly: There's only one race-the human race.

It's about time people started getting that through their thick skulls, before more people of any race or religious group gets killed.

And FYI, Republicans are always called racist. But all the times I've been to a Tea Party, there's never been one mention of race. No swastikas. No hate. NOTHING. So I'd much appreciate the people that point fingers at Republicans if they get off their high horses and actually bother to attend a grouping, regardless if you believe in their ideology or not.

Myself, I haven't been to an Occupy Movement. Not so much because I don't agree with them, but that the people there sometimes say and do things that shouldn't be said aloud in public in front of news cameras.

Agree with everything you said

Yeah Klan's pretty much everywhere, Though like I said before, Today they're not as big of a threat, considering black people now can get themselves guns and the law's not as biased , whereas back in the 50s and 60s it would be harder to do.

#49 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn said:

@Matchstick said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Have them keep an eye out for red boot laces. Apparently it's a thing with them and they'll attack random people to 'earn them'. Stupid but makes them a bit easier to spot.

hmmm... now this is an very interesting tidbit.

@Jnr6Lil said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Mostly down South, Up north, people are willing to physically fight the racists.

people down here fight racism too... it's just we seem to have more activity from the enemies than up north.

Which makes sense. South always been more racist than the North

#50 Posted by King Saturn (224502 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:

@King Saturn said:

@Matchstick said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Have them keep an eye out for red boot laces. Apparently it's a thing with them and they'll attack random people to 'earn them'. Stupid but makes them a bit easier to spot.

hmmm... now this is an very interesting tidbit.

@Jnr6Lil said:

@King Saturn said:

some people I know that live down the street from me got jumped by some KKK style white folks... it seems that racism is still alive and heavy in certain areas... I thought Florida was getting away from it a little bit... but considering Florida is a Republican State that is heavily dominated by older white people... I guess I should have been thinking a little more. [=

Mostly down South, Up north, people are willing to physically fight the racists.

people down here fight racism too... it's just we seem to have more activity from the enemies than up north.

Which makes sense. South always been more racist than the North

yeah... but don't make it like we are weak or something down here.