#1 Posted by Shatterstar (4439 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend and I are about to try to learn linux together do you have any suggestions for beginners that have a little programming knowledge?

Second, do you ever check the PMs? I've sent like 5, no responses.

#2 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

LAMP is actually the resident Heavy Coder. I do mostly frontend work, which means design, css and smarty! I'll check over my PMs, likely they got lost from last week.

Staff
#3 Posted by Shatterstar (4439 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok cool, same question about Linux to Red L.A.M.Pee. or anyone else that has a suggestion.

#4 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

What is that you want to learn on linux? What do you plan on doing with it?

Do you want to be a system administrator for linux? Do you want to know how to build/run a website using a linux box?

Staff
#5 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Ruling the world with LINUX!!!!

#6 Posted by Shatterstar (4439 posts) - - Show Bio

Just want to learn how to use it and get a feel for it, eventually make it our primary personal OS.

#7 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

A great place to start is to pop a live distro (knoppix, ubuntu live, etc). Most of the GUI stuff should be fairly intuitive. Learn the terminal. There are lots of places online where you can learn shell commands and stuff. Most Linux programmers do most of their work on the terminal. If you really like it try to install it. I started with a dual boot, moved slowly to more and more linux, then eventually destroyed my windows partition to have some more storage space.

#8 Posted by Shatterstar (4439 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thanks for the ideas

#9 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

who is your favorite superhero?

#10 Posted by consolemaster001 (4480 posts) - - Show Bio