Question: WHERE is GOD in the Marvel Universe???

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Has NOBODY ever thought of asking where is GOD in the Marvel Universe- one where mutants, mythological deities , artificial life forms( Vision, the original Human Torch , Jocasta) and various other metahuman entities both good, bad and ambiguous?

I'll answer this rhetorical question: He is alive and well and very much a part of the Marvel( and presumably its DC counterpart)Universe. Not only do several heroes and heroines( the late Nightcrawler of the X-Men, the FF's Invisible Woman and quite possibly the Human Torch, the Thing and Presumably in his own abtruse way, Mr Fantastic- not noted for conventional piety, Firebird and even baddies like the Punisher and the original Venom , Eddie Brock expressly believe in Him). Not only do we see the FF travelling or being transported to Mephisto's realm (which he unoriginally terms "Hell") but on one celebrated story, they even go to Heaven but meet God-in the shape of longtime FF artist Jack Kirby.

Even Captain America- hardly the most seemingly devout of individuals( at least in the spiritual sense) has been quoted as saying that a "God of love is mine".

it may be argued that the presence of pagan deities who also double as superheroes( Thor, Hercules, Valkyrie) and individuals such as Wolverine who hardly seem to serve any divine purpose disavows my argument but this overlooks the theological saw that "God moves in mysterious ways" and "God writes straight with crooked lines". ANYBODY who helps preserve His creation ( Earth and its human inhabitants) from enslavement or destruction arguably does His will(even if they don't acknowledge His exist- whether on ideological grounds pace the Soviet Super Soldiers- or just on general reasons pace Wolverine( in X-Men #165 he tells Nightcrawler that he doesn't believe in any thing that he can't see or sense)

Anybofy else think as I do?

Terry

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

He's Above all others. 

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By isaac_clarke

@The Stegman said:

He's Above all others.

This answer has some fun humor behind it.

@Paracelsus said:

Has NOBODY ever thought of asking where is GOD in the Marvel Universe- one where mutants, mythological deities , artificial life forms( Vision, the original Human Torch , Jocasta) and various other metahuman entities both good, bad and ambiguous?

I'll answer this rhetorical question: He is alive and well and very much a part of the Marvel( and presumably its DC counterpart)Universe. Not only do several heroes and heroines( the late Nightcrawler of the X-Men, the FF's Invisible Woman and quite possibly the Human Torch, the Thing and Presumably in his own abtruse way, Mr Fantastic- not noted for conventional piety, Firebird and even baddies like the Punisher and the original Venom , Eddie Brock expressly believe in Him). Not only do we see the FF travelling or being transported to Mephisto's realm (which he unoriginally terms "Hell") but on one celebrated story, they even go to Heaven but meet God-in the shape of longtime FF artist Jack Kirby.

Even Captain America- hardly the most seemingly devout of individuals( at least in the spiritual sense) has been quoted as saying that a "God of love is mine".

it may be argued that the presence of pagan deities who also double as superheroes( Thor, Hercules, Valkyrie) and individuals such as Wolverine who hardly seem to serve any divine purpose disavows my argument but this overlooks the theological saw that "God moves in mysterious ways" and "God writes straight with crooked lines". ANYBODY who helps preserve His creation ( Earth and its human inhabitants) from enslavement or destruction arguably does His will(even if they don't acknowledge His exist- whether on ideological grounds pace the Soviet Super Soldiers- or just on general reasons pace Wolverine( in X-Men #165 he tells Nightcrawler that he doesn't believe in any thing that he can't see or sense)

Terry

God's at their desk writing / drawing the next big thing.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tell that to the nordics.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By satyrgod

The God of the Marvel Universe is the Publisher, followed by his generals, the editors, and the minions, or writers.  Any other is ideology.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By charlieboy

I think their are characters that believe in God in the Marvel universe and there are those that don't. It's just like the real world. God isn't really shown in the comics because not all of it's readers are Christians which is probably the best way to go.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkxSeraph

*yawns* He, in the words of Tom Waits, is away on business.

In all honesty--who cares? I'm not going to bash religion here, but demanding a religious 'reality' of any fictional universe is an exercise in futility. Heck, look at DC. The 'entity' the created life sure isn't Allah or Yaweh.

However, maybe you can answer the Problem of Evil with the fictional universe in a way that isn't silly.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA
No Caption Provided
lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lorbo

@Paracelsus said:

Terry

It's Jeph Loeb. LOEB FOOORCE!!!

No Caption Provided
Begonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Begonder

@Paracelsus said:

Terry

Only THAT writer thinks Jack Kirby is God, but on a more realistic point, Marvel's God is Stan Lee... Jack Kirby was working for Stan and he was the collaborator for some limited time. Jack was also jumping between Marvel and DC, while Stan was the sole definition of Marvel. He created the name MARVEL.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By SavageDragon

@Begonder:

Yeah but Kirby envisioned and essentially created more than half the Marvel Icons. Without Kirby's artistic representation all the characters we know and love could have looked completely different. There will never be another like him.

As to the OP i say there is no one "True God" in the Marvel Universe. There are just many powerful entities. Some are aliens, some are extra dimensional overlords, some are considered gods. To say the one true God created Odin, Galactus, Mephisto, Celestials and others like them is to equate God with the and creative staff.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ms__omega
No Caption Provided
2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 2chimcha3

The concept of God is very interesting in the Marvel Universe because of character like Thor and those even more powerful. If you've been reading Thor God of Thunder, he does a superb job explaining what it means to be a god like Thor in the Marvel Universe. Gods like Thor aren't like THE GOD. And as for THE GOD, it can be thought of as we think of it in the real world. You either believe or don't.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By wildvine

@Paracelsus

In the mini series Howard the Duck, Max Howard dies and goes to Hell, where he meets God who had been at the bar since WW2, I believe. He was down there a while anyway.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rumble Man

@SoA said:

No Caption Provided

The Fantastic Four meet ‘God’. Its a 'neutral' god there, news flash not YHVH but Jack Kirby

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By SoA

@Rumble Man: I was looking for what you put as your answer but went with the motivational-style poster

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rumble Man

@lorbo:

It's Jeph Loeb. LOEB FOOORCE!!!

burn that mofo

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@SoA said:
No Caption Provided
 OG JACK KIRBY
 OG JACK KIRBY
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

He's in Heaven.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@sagejonathan said:

The concept of God is very interesting in the Marvel Universe because of character like Thor and those even more powerful. If you've been reading Thor God of Thunder, he does a superb job explaining what it means to be a god like Thor in the Marvel Universe. Gods like Thor aren't like THE GOD. And as for THE GOD, it can be thought of as we think of it in the real world. You either believe or don't.

Well, in MU, thor isn't God. He's asgardian.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoungJustice

I think that all gods are in Marvel, it is a world where all beliefs co-exist. Or they just don't care..

Magethor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Magethor

@PrinceAragorn1: @YoungJustice:

I think you guys are confusing GOD with pantheon (man made) deities. Every culture from past to future have these Pantheons.

THE PANTHEONS OF GODS:

The Asgardian Gods of the Nordic Lands

No Caption Provided

The Olympian Gods of Greece

No Caption Provided

The Aboriginal Gods of Australia

No Caption Provided

The Ahau Gods of the Mayans

No Caption Provided

The Akua Gods of the Polynesian Islands

No Caption Provided

The Amatsu-Kami of Japan

No Caption Provided

The Annunaki Gods of Mesopotamia

No Caption Provided

The Apu Gods of the Incas

No Caption Provided

The Daevas of India

No Caption Provided

The Deviants

No Caption Provided

The Dievas of Russia

No Caption Provided

The Diwatas of the Philippines

No Caption Provided

The Eternals

No Caption Provided

The Externals

No Caption Provided

The Heliopolitan Gods of Egypt

No Caption Provided

The Inuit Gods of the Northern lands

No Caption Provided

The Jumala Gods of Finlad

No Caption Provided

The Manidoog Gods of Native America

No Caption Provided

The Tenger Gods of Mongolia

No Caption Provided

The Teteoh Gods of Mexico

No Caption Provided

The Tuatha de Danaans of the Celtic lands

No Caption Provided

The Vodu Gods of Africa

No Caption Provided

The Xian Gods of China

No Caption Provided

The Yazatas of Persia

No Caption Provided

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoungJustice

God could technically be put under that category, he is a book..technically..

Magethor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Magethor

Any Pantheon of Earth is not Marvel's GOD, unless you consider Stan Lee that God who even he was created by another and it's not an Asgardian or a Gaea or a Living Tribunal. It was an the thing that created everything that consider the real universe.

Magethor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Magethor

Jack Kirby did not envision the "majority" of the Marvel icons. Stan Lee did. Kirby was the medium. Stan would tell Kirby what to draw, Kirby would draw it. Stan would say, "Yeah, that's it." or "No, I don't want it like that, that's not how I want it." and he would go to detail with Kirby about what he wanted drawn.

The only list of Marvel characters that Kirby actually created on his own were the Eternals and Celestials, but he borrowed their concept from his previous creations 6 years back, the New Gods of DC. But his 'envision' of how the Celestial's looked like was based off of Galactus, another one of Stan Lee's envisioned characters.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lorbo

@Magethor

That pic was epic man. Really clears up the whole god thing or did it just make thing MORE confusing LOL. I was wondering when it would it end, but it just kept going and going. LOL.

Welcome to mankind, they have just as many gods, more actually. LOL.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Magethor: No we're not confusing anything. (I'm not at least).

In the comic verse they are considered as asgardian/olympians etc. So they can't be called Gods.

But in real life, They are considered as Gods, Not the eternals or fictional ones, but most had people who worshipped them: like norse believing in odin, thor, etc. Greeks/orphic in zeus, Muslim in Allah, Hindu in Devas, Christians in Yahowah (I copy pasted this from a yahoo answer, not being in comics keeps him from being famous lol) and so on. Not every religion believes in existence of single God and none is more correct than the other..

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Certain people consider the christian god a man-made diety as well. *shrug* To put polytheistic religions up as fictional and show a clear bias toward a monotheistic isn't looking at the situation objectively.

Just tossing that out there. No one sees any more evidence in their daily lives of monotheistic religions' god than they did in the past of polytheistic religions' gods.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rumble Man

@DarkxSeraph: polytheism is cool

just like a justice league or avengers

mono is like a lame one man show

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@DarkxSeraph said:

Certain people consider the christian god a man-made diety as well. *shrug* To put polytheistic religions up as fictional and show a clear bias toward a monotheistic isn't looking at the situation objectively. Just tossing that out there. No one sees any more evidence in their daily lives of monotheistic religions' god than they did in the past of polytheistic religions' gods.

"certain people consider"? implying?

@Rumble Man said:

@DarkxSeraph: polytheism is cool

just like a justice league or avengers

mono is like a lame one man show

XD if you sit back and relax about things a bit (taking particular care there are no fanatics around)

It's very much as you say..

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarkxSeraph

@Prince Aragorn--

I'm not implying anything of anyone here. Just saying, certain people (such as Aetheists, or non-christians) consider him a creation of man. *shrug*I'm not here to get into a religious debate. And I'm not bashing those that thing this, or those that believe in the christian god. I'm not christian, myself, but that doesn't mean I have to disrespect the religion.

It is, however, a point to bring up if one is saying that all polytheistic religions are 'created by man.'

Edit: For those unaware, I cannot @reply--so, apologies. Ancient browser on a work computer.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rumble Man

@PrinceAragorn1:

Zeus is superman

Herc is batman

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@DarkxSeraph: ok..

@Rumble Man: ?what?

Avatar image for ancient_spirits_0f_evil
Ancient_Spirits_0f_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heheh, therr iss a reasson why polytheistic gods have faded away in beliefs... It is because.. they contradict eachothers...

at least! in Monotheism, you! can! blame only ONE GOD!! instead of the head aching many! Yesssss,,...