Question About the Oscars: How Can Foreign FilmsWin(EXPLANATION)

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Ok, so I know there is this rule to win the Oscars a film needs to have been released in California.  But i guess that does not apply to the foreign picture because not all of them even got a US release.  So i was wondering could films that had been released in a previous year in their home country win in the US for the following year.  For example, i didn't get to watch The Secret in Their Eyes because it didn't come out till 2010 in the US, but it won best foreign film.  However i was wondering now could it get best picture this year a year after getting best foreign picture??

Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Tomokata

The being released in California rule does not apply to the foreign film or documentary categories, I believe.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Tomokata:   but to be eligible for best picture it doesn't matter when its home release was, it just matters when its us release was??
Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Tomokata
@Violet-Eyed Dragon: Correct.  A film will become eligible the year it is actually released in Los Angeles.  I think Hurt Locker actually  had a limited released a few years ago, but since it didn't get shown in Los Angeles, it wasn't eligible for the Oscars until 2010, because it hadn't been shown in LA. 

Edit:  Except for foreign language