PS3 help!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jwalser3

Hello, I've had this Ps3 since 2007(I believe) it's the fat version. And I have restarted playing it again. Playing Battlefield 3 and Mortal Kombat.

Now here is the problem, the heat, and the noise! After around 15 minutes of playing it sounds like a fighter jet engine. And the heat isn't too bad. I have tried every way I know.

By vacuuming the vents to get the dust out, and putting a fan beside it to cool it off. I read the putting it on it's side helps it, but for me, not so much. I have been thinking about getting a cooler for it. But all the reviews says it ruins your system. And that it breaks after a couple of months. I try and put up with the sounds, but I feel like the thing will explode if I play any longer at points. So am I better off selling it and getting a new one? Or is there a special thing I can do to extend my Ps3s life?

No console war

No PC is master race

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I would imagine that people exist who could fix it for you. If you at least get a quote you can decide whether it is worth getting it fixed or buying a new one

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jwalser3

@guttridgeb:I'd rather not have to buy and new one. Or pay some one to fix it for me. If there is not hope for my ps3 I will but I wanted to know if there is anything I could do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@jwalser3: If you at least get it checked out it isn't then necessary to pay for it to be fixed. That way if you can do something yourself the PS3-fixers (not sure what the actual term would be) can let you know, provided they are honest. I recently thought I had a broken Xbox 360 but when I brought it to someone to get it fixed there was just something stuck in the fan, it meant that I didn't have to pay at all and they were fine with it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@jwalser3: You may get the yellow light of death soon, thats what happened to my PS3 not long ago
utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By utotheg38

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jwalser3: You may get the yellow light of death soon, thats what happened to my PS3 not long ago

This.

It sounds like the fans may give out If you continue to push It.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess the warranty expired some years ago. Sony could refurbish it, but it will still cost you.

To me, it sounds like the Heat Sink isn't really absorbing much of the heat created by the "Cell" CPU. That CPU generates alot of heat and fast, and the Heat Sink (A row of metal walls) supposed to absorb that heat.

Two heat sinks in a PS3 (One that surronds the CPU (Cell Engine) and another one that surrounds the GPU.

Since the heat is generating faster than the Heat Sink can absorb and become recooled, The problem must be because of the fan. The fan is supposed to re-cool the Heat Sink so that the heat can disperse better. If the fan is not working like it should, you must have a vent block. All the vents have to be open. Meaning no placing console on the carpet or have near by objects blocking the path for the air to escape. You can clean the vents and fan from dust, but make sure the air path are not blocked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, while Sony was in development of the Cell, they seemed to not have thought twice about the air circulation of the console, because the Cell Engine is a huge CPU. That's why they made the Cell smaller with less transistors for the newer models, so that the fan can keep up with the lower emission heat and the air that circulates is cool to warm rather than blowing constant hot air back into the machine.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xanni15

See if you can sell it to someone else then use the money to buy a new one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and I forgot to mention, Like a car engine and its headgaskets.

Once the CPU is overheated in an extended time, it's game over.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By renamed040924

Get the slim you knob.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jwalser3

@Xanni15 said:

See if you can sell it to someone else then use the money to buy a new one.

I'll probably end up doing that.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By x_29

It seems your PS3 is getting old. You might need to buy the slim.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jwalser3: You may get the yellow light of death soon, thats what happened to my PS3 not long ago

same thing happened to me....called Sony to see about getting it fixed and they wanted $125 to fix it and would only give a year warranty on the fix...not worth it imo so I took that $125 added $175 and got a Uncharted 3 bundle that included of course Uncharted 3 and a 300 gb slim model

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself

@jwalser3: also if you have the 60gb backwards compatible model then you can sell even a broken model on ebay for big bucks

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By superstay

@guttridgeb:

Awww poor baby *In baby voice* You know theirs people who could help you with that. dO.Ob

(JK)

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KnightRise

@jwalser3: I feel your pain. I've had my PS3 since 2007, the original 80GB backwards compatible with four USB slots. She's a tank, only froze once and that was over two years ago while playing a PS2 game and repeatedly pressing start. But she's getting up there in age, a little louder here and there, loading slower, getting hot a little faster. I'll miss her when she's gone.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By nickthedevil

@jwalser3: The fan is broken. or too dirty. If you can open it up gently, and correctly, you can fix it. Warning: If you're confident enough only. at your own discretion.

TheInfamousGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheInfamousGod

@x_29: mine still works perfectly for me and its the fat one.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jwalser3
No Caption Provided

@KnightRise:If my baby dies you're invited to the funeral.

TheInfamousGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheInfamousGod

@jwalser3: how well did you take care of it?

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jwalser3

@TheInfamousGod:Played it A LOT for the first couple of years. Then I actually stopped playing for awhile because I notice it got a lot louder. But not to long ago(about a month and a half) I started playing again. But while I stopped playing it sat by my TV collecting dust, so I vacuumed the vents out.