#1 Posted by mavfan626 (4125 posts) - - Show Bio

I was talking to a friend who also seen the film and pointed out that at the end of the film you see an alien (like from AVP) and it seemed that it might of been the first one but it was set in 2099 (or something) but AVP was set in now times right? so does that mean that the AVP/AVP2 movies are now separate from the Alien saga?

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Ridley Scott doesn't accept AVP as canon.

#3 Posted by mavfan626 (4125 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: I guess but until Promethus it all worked together pretty well and did he state that?

#4 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

AVP isn't canon. That being said, the alien xenomorph did exist prior to the events of Prometheus. If you looked closely to the mural that Holloway was looking at, you would have seen an alien Queen along with two facehuggers. 

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing though. The AVP xenomorphs were not just existing on the "now times". They were existent on the start of civilization. But as I said, Alien creators really thought AVP screwed the franchise. Prometheus was even rumored to have been made to erase the AVP continuities.

#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Alien is Ridley Scotts, I would go with Prometheus trumping the AvP movies.

#7 Posted by nick_hero22 (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

One thing though. The AVP xenomorphs were not just existing on the "now times". They were existent on the start of civilization. But as I said, Alien creators really thought AVP screwed the franchise. Prometheus was even rumored to have been made to erase the AVP continuities.

Too bad nothing in Prometheus contradicts what is in the AVP Universe, Xenomorphs have existed much longer than the Proto-Xenomorph in Prometheus.

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22 said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Too bad nothing in Prometheus contradicts what is in the AVP Universe, Xenomorphs have existed much longer than the Proto-Xenomorph in Prometheus.

Can't say that for sure.

#9 Posted by nick_hero22 (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@nick_hero22 said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Can't say that for sure.

Proof, because the time gap between Prometheus and Aliens is 29 years, in Aliens the crew lands on LV-426 and finds a fossilized Space Jockey along with a ship full of xenomorph eggs supporting the theory that the Proto-Xenomorph wasn't the first of his kind. There are no contradiction in Prometheus.

#10 Posted by BatWatch (2723 posts) - - Show Bio

@mavfan626 said:

I was talking to a friend who also seen the film and pointed out that at the end of the film you see an alien (like from AVP) and it seemed that it might of been the first one but it was set in 2099 (or something) but AVP was set in now times right? so does that mean that the AVP/AVP2 movies are now separate from the Alien saga?

The imdb page doesn't view Predator/Alien as cannon.

#11 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

First off

we don't mention AVP, the first one was lame but the second one was repugnant.

Second

we don't mention Alien Resurrection

#12 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Plot error(s)

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (44096 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch said:

Plot error(s)

Staff
#14 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: EY, I'm not one of those douches that's going to say its "anti science fiction" and discuss how it addresses racism through David. Just sayin', sh*t was all over the place.
#15 Edited by k4tzm4n (44096 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch said:

@k4tzm4n: EY, I'm not one of those douches that's going to say its "anti science fiction" and discuss how it addresses racism through David. Just sayin', sh*t was all over the place.

I really hope they use that quote for the blu-ray cover.

And yeah, I'm just being a jerk. I loved Prometheus, but man, it's a frustrating film to talk about.

Staff
#16 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Yeah, I feel like everyone tries to over-analyze it, and it becomes miserable to talk about with most people.
#17 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

I really hope they use that quote for the blu-ray cover.

And yeah, I'm just being a jerk. I loved Prometheus, but man, it's a frustrating film to talk about.

I have this problem to. I did laugh to myself when I read somewhere someone saying elements of the plot were basically AVP but without the Predators

#18 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay: Wow, actually, I never thought about that. Haha, they're pretty similar, now that I think about it with the ancient civilizations and such...
#19 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: It will mess with your memory of the film I'm telling you:

Both have a Wayland, Both have discovered an Ancient alien relic and take the perilous trip to discover the truth, Both deal with the rise of civilizations and alien intervention. Scott just has a more polished vision, however dare I say it AVP might just be a bit more watchable due to the fact it never tried to get to far above itself like Prometheus as much as I really enjoyed it.

#20 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay: Haha damn, that's pretty similar. 

I actually had a good time watching AvP, mostly because everyone was laughing in the theater, and then a kid fell from the top of the stairs and rolled all the way to the bottom. But yeah, Prometheus was up its own ass from the start.
#21 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: Lol I still enjoy AVP too, I think it's not aged to badly considering its just a big monster mash up essentially.

#22 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay: haha its pretty trashy, but yeah, good ol silly fun.
#23 Posted by marzipan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Alien" franchise was Ridley Scotts creation so if he wants to say f*ck the AvP franchise that is his prerogative. Further more I doubt very much he was on board with the Xenomorph being on board the Predator spacecraft in Predator 2. I think Ridley Scott is just bring the story back home. Evidence of this is in the secondary story that got lost in the enchantment of waiting for the Xenomorph to make it's appearance in the film, the second story is the one involving androids specifically David. If you character reference the androids in Ridleys franchise David would be the first android to act out against the crew he was programmed to look after as was Ash from "Alien" whom turned homicidal on his crew (Ripleys crew) when attempting to carry out his secondary mission (get a xenomorph specimen back to earth). The Android Bishop explains in James Camerons film that the older generation androids were always "twitchy" this includes David as he did not have the "behavioural inhibitor" has noted by Android Bishop.

Some theories of mine concerning the timeline: Bishop from Alien 3 is likely the real Bishop, decendant of Peter Weyland (Prometheus) great grandson or great great grandson based by the time gap (Peter Weyland looked to be in his early 40s in 2023, Ellen Ripley was born in the late 22nd to early 23rd century).

Xenomorph history: If you read up one the known (fictional) history of these creatures their exact origins are unknown meaning that the Xenomorph at the end of Prometheus could be a likely candidate as the 1st of it's species. That being said if you look at it's physical appearance you can see it has common traits of the Xenomorph Queens that we know (the wider more angled inner mouth as opposed to the smaller snappier of the xenomorph soldiers more over it has to be a queen (likely the queen featured in "Aliens") based on our knowledge of these creatures. If there are no queens around the Face Huggers implant a queen embryo in it's host. More on the physical appearance of the Queen, though at the end of Prometheus the Queen doesn't have the protruding ridges that we have see in Aliens this is explained through a xenomorph database, that the pronounced ridges come during maturity.

#24 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well...