pro-Russian insurgent admits mass slaughter of 15 Ukrainian POWs

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Did anybody read the account of a pro Russian insurgent leader who casually admitted that he had personally slaughtered up to 15 Ukrainian POWs to a newspaper reporter( I think it was in today's Irish Times or Irish Independent but I'm not certain).

I have long been skeptical of claims of atrocities and war crimes made by EITHER side in the conflict in the Ukraine, if only because(a) "atrocity stories" are a staple of war propaganda dating back as far as the Crusades (b) false allegations of atrocities tend to distract attention from bona fide ones( remember stories of the Belgian baby with its hands reportedly cut off by German soldiers in WWII, claims that the Kaiser was ordering that Allied POWs dead bodies be boiled down for soap and my personal "favourite" -reports of "rape camps" maintained by Slobodan Milosevic and Muammar Gadhafi respectively???- see Phillip Knightley's "The First Casualty" for a critical study of war reportage from the Crimean War to the Gulf) but if true, this cries out for ifurther investigation at the very least! (if not ratification and signature of the Rome Statute of the ICC by the Ukraine ASAP_)

anybody thik as I do?

Terry

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be suprised if it actually happened. By now, the Pro-Russian side knows the rest of the world won't do jack sh*t, so they can pretty much do whatever they want,

I know you have to take these stories with a healthy amount of skepticisim, but at the same time, multiple news sources are reporting this, so it must have some degree of truth.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Before someone comes in and insults Russia and Putin let me say this.

When the Berlin Wall fell and Yeltsin came into power, Western values of government policies and economy appealed to them. A lot. It remained so until the American promise that the Russian Federation can rebuild and find its own path in a post-Cold War world is broken, time and time again when one by one of the former Soviet states enter into NATO. This begins an encirclement over Russian territory by allowing the US to position weapons within the Latvian-Russian and Estonian-Russian borders. When the Russians become more and more fed up by the day, the Communists gain ground and threaten to take over Russia once more.

Sorry to say, I'm not Russian, pro-Russian, or anti-American but if I were in Putin's shoes I would do exactly what he's doing right now. People label him war criminal and murderer, but all he has been guilty of is fulfilling the Russian people's will and keeping the Communists from being voted, democratically I say, into power.

Now as for the article, the OP has always been making anti-military bait threads, whether it's Putin or Obama.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: Like you said yourself what you said has very little to do with the article, guy apparently killed 15 POW's

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dextersinister: This usually ends in an "Obama/Cameron/the EU should slam Putin in the face" debate. Yes, killing POWs are terrible, that's common sense.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apropos of NATO's allegedly "broken promise not to expand", given that the whole purpose of the Cold War was to make certain that the states of the former USSR/Warsaw Pact were entitled to determine their own future( as was humanity at large) free of the Kremlin diktat, are those making this argument seriously suggesting that if and when say Poland or the Baltic States applied to join NATO, we should have said "sorry old bean, no can do- it might piss off the Russians!"? It NEVER ceases to astonish me that the very type of liberal/leftist who would correctly bristle at the suggestion that the US is entitled to treat say Cuba or Venezuela any old way because "it is within the US sphere of influence" seems willing to consign the former WP members and Soviet Republics to Putin's not so tender mercies(Granted he is NOT Stalin but such as I have seen of his regime is sufficiently illiberal that I would not lightly do so) it was "within the Russian sphere of influence".

As George Orwell would put it " two legs bad , four legs good!" in his classic "Animal Farm" ( meaning Anglo-American imperialism bad, Russian imperialism good)! As for the complaint about "encirclement"- SO (Insert expletive here) WHAT? During the Cold War we all slept peacefully in our beds knowing that we could be vapourized by an ICBM fired from deep within US/Soviet territory or from a submarine deep beneath the Atlantic. Back to the point of my OP- the wilful killing of POWs is considered a war crime( see Wikipedia entries for "Le Paradis massacre" "Stalag Luft III murders" "Malmedy massacre").

Terry

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's horrible. Evidence would still be required, but I wouldn't be surprised at either side committing atrocities like this.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Link?

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: What he said. I wanna see the source of such info.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paracelsus: So if US, France, and Germany formed an alliance against UK and blockaded England using their navies, you'd be fine with it?

I mean of course the Americans can't say no to French and Germans willing to join them right?

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By albusan

If you want to laugh at some Russians watch Netflix DareDevil.