• 130 results
#101 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@impy: Zombie Apocalypses are for wusses. The Magical Bear apocalypse will be much worse.

Fact: The Illuminati are real. They are secretly evil lesbian alien unicorns in disguise. The magical bears are real too. They disguise themselves as Mexicans, gays, Russians, and radicals from both sides of the political spectrum. They are preparing to launch an all-out attack on us from space with the satellites that they bought from Google. But first they have to weaken the good people of Americaland by converting us all into pedophiles. Anyone who doesn't take this seriously is a homosexual Obama supporter.

#102 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@impy: I feel like there should be a character from my little pony laughing manically as I read this. Perhaps while holding his hooves up menacingly. Can hooves be held up menacingly?

#103 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@impy: I feel like there should be a character from my little pony laughing manically as I read this. Perhaps while holding his hooves up menacingly. Can hooves be held up menacingly?

SHHHHHH don't mention My Little Pony. It's an Illuminati propaganda tool.

#104 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@impy: But you can relax because Bruce Campbell will save us all and make the world a more groovy place for all.

#105 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: But Kanye West will kill Bruce Campbell before he can save the world!!!!

#106 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@impy: Bruce laughs at your petty Kanye and will destroy him with a glance

#107 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

So she cleans up well, what's the big? She matured a little, dressed in evening wear and showed that she doesn't need to act like a boy all the time. Now, if they would just give the princes more butch makeovers, say for a night of dancing and carousing, then we'd see some action.

#108 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: But Kanye raps the words of evil, death, and immorality. He will morally degenerate Bruce to death.

#109 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@impy: Bruce's aura of pure awesome cannot be penetrated by Kanye

#110 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000:

I sincerely don't see how Merida can be construed as being written as a "male" character. I see her having being written as a character -- regardless of her gender and touching base on her not wanting to get married isn't a reflection of her sexual preference but a reflection of what she felt would be a restriction placed on her due to the societal climate. Her being a lesbian has no bearing on her appearance -- especially as a young girl and same goes for supposed masculine and/or feminine traits. Unless you believe lesbians exhibit "masculine" traits only and homosexual "feminine"? In which case, there isn't much to add to our conversation as that is clearly your opinion and nothing else.

Your assertions about male characters being re-written as female confuses me. Why couldn't they be (and vice versa)? I identified pretty strongly with Sarah Connor in the Terminator films as I did with many female lead characters in movies and television shows which focus on a female's ability to lead and be physically strong -- probably because I myself am able to lead and be physically strong. I am not claiming there isn't differences (whether its societal or biological) when it comes to gender but there is no ownership of one "trait" over the other as everyone is capable of exhibiting all to an extent. Hetero and homosexuals alike. Feeding into stereotypes is something to be avoided.

#111 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio
#112 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: It wasn't an attempt at attention, it was a serious question because I found it sad if it was true. I guess with all the problems in the world like disease and hunger, we should pay more attention to the way a disney princess looks instead. If you don't see what's wrong with that then there's no hope for you because this shouldn't be international news. This is an over hyped problem people like you are trying to make a big deal out of when its not a big deal.

#113 Posted by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: A dude got beat to death the other day and the Bakersfield PD was caught red handed trying to cover it up and it got virtually no media attention while this was an international headline.

#114 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Exactly, events like that happen all the time but nobody cares to cover it or bring it to attention. But all of a sudden Disney changes one of their princess a little and stop the presses, we have international headlines. This is clearly a big issue that everybody needs to hear, even the people in North Korea. Its so important, King Jong Un decided to tell his people about this because they are going to be devastated when the hear this.

I honestly wonder how we got this far as a race because there are a lot of people out there who I question their thinking ability. How can this seriously be a huge issue??????? Its beyond me.

#115 Edited by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: And next week there will be some other horrible tragedy that will be ignored because a Kardashian bought a new car, or changed her hair color.

#116 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Pretty much summed up the news right there. I'm dreading the day Kim's baby is born because I know its going to be nonstop news coverage on a talentless idiot instead of giving people real news.

#117 Edited by joshmightbe (24761 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: Not sure whose more to blame for that, the news for showing it or the morons who eat the s**t up

#118 Edited by SC (13396 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@lykopis: It wasn't an attempt at attention, it was a serious question because I found it sad if it was true. I guess with all the problems in the world like disease and hunger, we should pay more attention to the way a disney princess looks instead. If you don't see what's wrong with that then there's no hope for you because this shouldn't be international news. This is an over hyped problem people like you are trying to make a big deal out of when its not a big deal.

Most of the best people I know as far as competency in fixing the worlds problems as far as knowing how to fix the worlds problems, don't oversimplify problems and are well aware there is a very inconsistent perception as far as how societies and people deal with problems. Its a human thing you see, and actually as odd as it sounds it is actually important to have range with our problems as a species - because societies are made up of a bunch of different types of people at different intelligences, life experiences, psychological coping abilities, wealth, education, age - many many singular complicated things than tend to get more complicated as additional variables are added. Its a similar problem trying to explain the benefits of having scientists spending so much money on science things instead of feeding the poor.

How people view and understand gender and how other people do is very important, a few years ago a study on gender and maths actually created a situation where peoples understanding and perception of the results of that study (girls aren't as good as boys in maths) affected how well girls did in studies where maths was treated competitively. Oh ones who were aware of the earlier study - however that early study was shown to be a bit faulty, ironically though its results having an effect that would almost be a self fulfilling prophecy. Still if peoples perceptions and psychology affects how they do in tests meant to measure objective skills, competency and abilities then it means the results may be skewered and we may miss out on the best possible scientists in multiple fields which has a very real affect on reality as far as curing disease, deeding people, and revolutionary advances in all manner of fields.

So with that in mind, it is kind of an oversimplification to imply that people are taking a Disney Princess redesign too seriously or more seriously than world hunger because reality isn't about categorizing Disney Princess redesign apart from World Hunger both those things exist in the same space and are more complex than a persons ability to make a post about either on a comic book website forum, which unintentionally only adds to the supposed irony. If all this was only about a redesign then the reaction might be over-proportionate, but what does that say for the reaction to the reaction? Satirical? An attempt to enlighten people? Depends really, the only problem is that it usually involves an inability to accurately gauge what others are talking about and how its related to other things. Here's another example -

@joshmightbe said:

@norrinboltagonprime21: A dude got beat to death the other day and the Bakersfield PD was caught red handed trying to cover it up and it got virtually no media attention while this was an international headline.

"So what?" (thats a sarcastic "so what" not aimed at you Joshmightbe) - modern day living has more human slaves than any other time, with many of these slaves raped and eventually killed, who cares about one guy and some small scale corruption?

Well.. again its not really about having to pick one or the other, its more about understanding how the media works, defining what news is and how to sell it, the ratio of news as far as entertainment to accuracy to information to truth, human psychology, group psychology, societal priorities, money. How much information can the human brain handle as far as news? Lots of things - identifying why think and understand, cope, deal, react to things individually and in groups. Newsflash - people suck at thinking in terms of truth and objectivity - when they think about themselves, others, everything its through very faulty lens and senses, only relatively faulty though. Depends what we are talking about. Good enough to guide food into our mouths and punch a guy, and walk, but not so good at guessing why and how other people view things, value things, understand things. It leads to a lot of noise and misunderstanding. This Princess thing is actually more about very core human people issues and how they interact with each other. I'm a robot so I don't care, I am in my lab trying to figure out how to make edible tasty bacon flavored cardboard.

#119 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I blame both. Leaning towards people who watch it because they could easily stop but choose not to, while the news is trying to make money.

#120 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Good luck with your cardboard. I've always wanted bacon flavored cardboard!

#121 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

You lost me with Controversy. This is a non issue and really who cares.

People are dying in Syria, our debt is skyrocketing, and NK is playing with fire and we are talking about a fictional princess?

On a more serious note. I see nothing wrong with them changing her appearance. Disney owns the rights and could make her a 10 foot tall beer women and there is nothing we could do about it.

#122 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're missing the point. News is called NEWs for a reason! News is where you learn about the new s**t that's happening in this f**ked-up world. Everybody already knows that disease and hunger are huge problems that need to be dealt with. It's not logical to have a news headline saying "Poverty Still Terrible in Third-World Countries." What is logical is to start, join or support an organization that tries to help with the problems you mention in your post, or for a headline to say "Significant Progress Made in Eradicating Polio."

Sexism is definitely a problem. I personally don't raise it to the level of importance that I do disease and hunger, but it's okay if sexism makes international news.

#123 Posted by ARMIV2 (8853 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, why is this thread now going into topics about what qualifies as news and what doesn't when the point of this topic is already contained and dedicated solely to the subject matter at hand?

#124 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you attempting to do?

Why are you asking a serious question about something you are only guessing at?

Why are you sad about a stranger's post on the internet over something you don't think is a big deal?

Who said we should pay more attention to the way a Disney princess looks as it relates to what you find is more important?

Who said this is more important than world hunger?

Who said this is more important than disease?

Who said this is something which should be paid more attention to in relation to the problems of the world?

Why do you ask serious questions with an epic smack to the head ala Godzilla?

Why is it an either or scenario? Is there a finite amount of news allowed where you come from? Did this prevent you from learning about the horror that exists all around us?

Is my interest in the story preventing you from making a difference is curing disease and solving world hunger?

Why do you think you know what kind of person I am based on my opinion about a fictional character?

Why are you in charge how much hope I am allowed to have? Is there no more left in the Great Bowl of Hope of which you preside over?

Hey.

Wait a sec.

Know what? I think you are on to something...we should stop all news reporting which have nothing to do with disease and war and world hunger! THERE ARE SERIOUS ISSUES OUT THERE! Stop the sports reporting and politics and 7 day weather forecasts and the county fairs coming up! We've got things to do -- information we need getting out there with this limited amount of news reporting we are rationed so unfairly. Oh -- and while we are at it, let's stop this forced entering of threads where we are exposed to my former kind of people who have no hope since hyperboling is blocking the way of peace and happiness.

Thanks, buddy. I'll wait for your instructions on how to save the world.

#125 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Exactly, events like that happen all the time but nobody cares to cover it or bring it to attention. But all of a sudden Disney changes one of their princess a little and stop the presses, we have international headlines. This is clearly a big issue that everybody needs to hear, even the people in North Korea. Its so important, King Jong Un decided to tell his people about this because they are going to be devastated when the hear this.

I honestly wonder how we got this far as a race because there are a lot of people out there who I question their thinking ability. How can this seriously be a huge issue??????? Its beyond me.

(Psst -- it's Kim Jong Un. You might want to make sure you get his name right, especially since you are fighting the good fight and all -- considering people's ability to think might be at risk here.)

#126 Posted by Deranged Midget (17973 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright guys seriously? We need to lower the level of hostility up in this crazy mess of a thread.

Keep it a calm and respectful discussion and enjoy the varied opinions on the matter! No need for anyone to get worked up :)

#127 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Its so important, King Jong Un decided to tell his people about this because they are going to be devastated when the hear this.

I died. Pure epic fail, right here.

#128 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget:

**tears up partially completed outline of manifesto**

Oh well. It would have taken up most my night anyway.

#129 Edited by Deranged Midget (17973 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Just make fun of my obsession with Spider-Man and Superman or you could go as far to insult my intelligence for lacking any appreciation for Emma Frost.

Night completed!

#130 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23871 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm... When did this thread went from discussing Meridah's altered design to North Korea?

#131 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio