• 61 results
Edited 9 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Press a button, pick a power. (56 votes)

Red 2%
Blue 7%
Yellow 11%
Green 7%
Orange 5%
Purple 9%
Grey 30%
Pink 29%

If you press one of these buttons, you get the superpower that goes with it, you can only press one button, and you're stuck with that power for life, which would you choose? Also, if you'd care to explain why, that would be cool too.

#1 Edited by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink!

#2 Posted by The Stegman (23059 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink easily.

#3 Edited by Deadite (20702 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink. Then maybe I can cure cancer and other illnesses. Maybe.

#4 Posted by Black_Arrow (2489 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey easily. With that I could fly and simulate super strength how awesome is that

#5 Edited by Nightcraft (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Red is just a weaker form of Purple. If you can phase through anything, than by logic you should be able to phase through light, thus becoming completely invisible!

#6 Posted by TheCannon (17910 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink.

#7 Posted by judasnixon (6193 posts) - - Show Bio

Purp Bitches!

#8 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go Grey. I may not be able to heal wounds like Pink, but I can effectively bandage them with nothing. And like Black Arrow said, I can simulate strength and fly as fast as I can think, presumably, which makes Blue and Orange redundant. Not to mention I could create a forcefield to insure I'm always pretty much invulnerable.

#9 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15169 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey wins. TK is too flexible. You can do so many things on the premise of "move an object", it just requires creativity and knowledge.

#10 Edited by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (9500 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw that poster before, I got the power I didn't want i:

#11 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were to choose blue, how fast would I be able to fly?

#12 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19916 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite said:

Those are fatal aren't they?

Grey wins. TK is too flexible. You can do so many things on the premise of "move an object", it just requires creativity and knowledge.

@jonsmith said:

Gotta go Grey. I may not be able to heal wounds like Pink, but I can effectively bandage them with nothing. And like Black Arrow said, I can simulate strength and fly as fast as I can think, presumably, which makes Blue and Orange redundant. Not to mention I could create a forcefield to insure I'm always pretty much invulnerable.

These.

#13 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20027 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey easily. With that I could fly and simulate super strength how awesome is that

my thoughts

#14 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

Really guys? Pink? Non fatal wound as in bruises I suspect and minor cuts/scraps right? That's noobish :P

Yellow ftw!

#15 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey or Green i cant decide.... Actually it i cant change into a person so I'm going with grey.

#16 Edited by Deadite (20702 posts) - - Show Bio
@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

@deadite said:

Those are fatal aren't they?

It says fatal wounds. I'm not sure if those counts but even if terminal illnesses are out of the question, there're probably still some incurable anomaly that happens to fell into this ability's range.

Missing a thigh muscle can cripple a person, they would likely have to rely on a cane for the rest of their life just because of missing that little piece of hardware. Maybe growing it back, or some sort of restructuring using the nearby muscle would be possible with this.

You can also avoid risky surgeries like brain biopsy with this ability, as long as it's a non-fatal wound. The area would be a lot safer to treat using this ability, and by doing so, people dodges the risk factor from those surgeries.

Burn trauma, another nasty scenario. A lot less nastier if this ability includes skin growth, that is, and it would also touch on cosmetic surgery.

#17 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

Loophole much?

You call it a loophole, I call it an unspoken perk.

#19 Edited by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@monsterstomp said:

Loophole much?

You call it a loophole, I call it an unspoken perk.

I call it BS :P

Myself being a constent victim of these conversational loophole tacticians.

#20 Posted by Deadite (20702 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite: Loophole much?

I kind of take these as practice sessions. Some people wonders about religion, afterlife, I do too, but another thing I like to do is practice to get the perfect answer when the 3-wishes-Jeannie comes knocking my front door :D

#21 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite said:

@monsterstomp said:

@deadite: Loophole much?

I kind of take these as practice sessions. Some people wonders about religion, afterlife, I do too, but another thing I like to do is practice to get the perfect answer when the 3-wishes-Jeannie comes knocking my front door :D

Fair enough. But the OP did specify non-fatal wounds. Doesn't mean you can try and work your way around healing a fatal tumour haha

#22 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite said:

'Course, you're not taking into account that with telekinesis, we'd presumably have to have some form of sensing what we're moving despite not having any physical contact with it. That being the case, those of us who chose the Grey button will also be able to cut out tumors, feel around inside someones head or body for anything out of place (like a tumor, or worm) allowing us to know for a fact we got all of it without poking around, hold broken bones together and move them back into place, holding them together in an internal splint to minimize pain and mobility loss.

Not QUITE as good as outright healing, but with the other applications somewhat superior.

#23 Edited by Deadite (20702 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@deadite said:

'Course, you're not taking into account that with telekinesis, we'd presumably have to have some form of sensing what we're moving despite not having any physical contact with it. That being the case, those of us who chose the Grey button will also be able to cut out tumors, feel around inside someones head or body for anything out of place (like a tumor, or worm) allowing us to know for a fact we got all of it without poking around, hold broken bones together and move them back into place, holding them together in an internal splint to minimize pain and mobility loss.

Not QUITE as good as outright healing, but with the other applications somewhat superior.

Hmm, I was so invested in Pink, I didn't see that Grey would have this kind of perks. (What a weird sentence.

Would Telekinesis comes with this level of psychic power?

Maybe it could be use to communicate with people with Autism.

#24 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

Yellow wins me any day. Coincidence that yellow is my favourite colour. Reading thoughts could be very advantageous in its own right and suits me best. If I want to know what a girl is thinking, I could be there to suit her needs. I could trick people into believing I relate to them. I could deduce if someone was seriously going to physically hurt me and anticipate.

#25 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

Yellow wins me any day. Coincidence that yellow is my favourite colour. Reading thoughts could be very advantageous in its own right and suits me best. If I want to know what a girl is thinking, I could be there to suit her needs. I could trick people into believing I relate to them. I could deduce if someone was seriously going to physically hurt me and anticipate.

And then you use that telepathy to do that, keep doing it to get ahead in life, and one day you wake up, look in a mirror, and realize you've used your gift of telepathy to bury whoever you once were in favor of always telling people exactly what they want to hear. No personality or opinion of your own, you yourself are just a mirror to tell people what they want.

And beyond doing that, what good is telepathy? You can't control someones thoughts, just know them. I know! You could read someones bank account numbers and steal their cash! Wait, no, you'd have to be able to forge their signature or present their I.D. and pass for them... You could read the mind of a murderer and alert the police! Wait, you have no actual evidence... You could... Yeah, I got nothing.

Beyond being a sycophant, which would naturally make people wanting to hurt you even more minimal than it already is in this world, what good is telepathy, exactly?

#26 Edited by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: Doesn't work like that. It's simple physics. I read thoughts. Not, I read thoughts and get consumed by my alter ego, and all for nothing because reading thoughts is useless. It's just, I read thoughts. It's simple engrish.

#27 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't work like that. It's simple physics.

What... I apologize if I came across as a bit of a d***, that wasn't my intention, but can you elaborate further? I'm genuinely curious as to what you could do with telepathy these days.

#28 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@monsterstomp said:

What... I apologize if I came across as a bit of a d***, that wasn't my intention, but can you elaborate further? I'm genuinely curious as to what you could do with telepathy these days.

I thought you were joking around

#29 Edited by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@monsterstomp said:

If you want to live a mostly honest life. Security, PI work, police work, for starters

#30 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought you were joking around

I was, but I realized after posting that it could be misconstrued as me being an a**hole and mocking/insulting your choice by calling it functionally useless, when in fact I was preemptively going through potential uses and arguing against them, in the hope you would tell me how you would use it in such a way as to make it more useful than any of the other abilities. Hence, I apologized on the off chance I had offended.

Regardless, I wasn't saying you'd get flooded with thoughts or slip into an alter ego, I was saying that you'd read someones mind and tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. They'd realize something was off because of how exact you were, and run away. You'd get better at it, rephrasing their thoughts to make it more subtle, make it seem like it really is all your idea. You'd do it to get laid once. Then you'd do it to get a raise at your job. You'd do it to get a promotion. You'd do it to get out of a ticket. Get some leeway on bills.

Every time a normal person would have to choose their words carefully, or use the force of their personality or experiences to get by, your words would already be there, waiting. All you'd have to do is pluck them out and move them around. No thinking of your own needed. And like any ability, don't use it enough, it gets rusty. And then, like I said, one day you wake up, and that ability is gone. You won't even realize you're doing it anymore. That's how used to it you'll be. Like muscle memory. So easy. So ingrained. So habitual. Just reach out, read what they want you to say, and then say it with a smile. No opinions of your own, that's not what people want to hear. No personality, people want to hear from someone else what THEY'D say to themselves.

There's even a working example: You ever see X-Men: First Class? Charles Xavier does the whole 'say what they want to hear' trick. Often. And at the end of the movie, when Magneto dons the helmet that blocks that, Xavier has to think of the right words on his own for the first time in a long time. And what does he say? The absolute worst thing you could say to someone like Magneto. Because he hasn't had to use his own words in a long time. Do you see what I'm saying?

So what OTHER uses of telepathy do you have in mind?

#31 Edited by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

I pick Grey because of what you said also you could simulate mental force fields as well psudo invulnerability :)

#32 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

pink. i need a healing power to heal myself.

#33 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith

I was, but I realized after posting that it could be misconstrued as me being an a**hole and mocking/insulting your choice by calling it functionally useless, when in fact I was preemptively going through potential uses and arguing against them, in the hope you would tell me how you would use it in such a way as to make it more useful than any of the other abilities. Hence, I apologized on the off chance I had offended.

Regardless, I wasn't saying you'd get flooded with thoughts or slip into an alter ego, I was saying that you'd read someones mind and tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. They'd realize something was off because of how exact you were, and run away. You'd get better at it, rephrasing their thoughts to make it more subtle, make it seem like it really is all your idea. You'd do it to get laid once. Then you'd do it to get a raise at your job. You'd do it to get a promotion. You'd do it to get out of a ticket. Get some leeway on bills.

Every time a normal person would have to choose their words carefully, or use the force of their personality or experiences to get by, your words would already be there, waiting. All you'd have to do is pluck them out and move them around. No thinking of your own needed. And like any ability, don't use it enough, it gets rusty. And then, like I said, one day you wake up, and that ability is gone. You won't even realize you're doing it anymore. That's how used to it you'll be. Like muscle memory. So easy. So ingrained. So habitual. Just reach out, read what they want you to say, and then say it with a smile. No opinions of your own, that's not what people want to hear. No personality, people want to hear from someone else what THEY'D say to themselves.

There's even a working example: You ever see X-Men: First Class? Charles Xavier does the whole 'say what they want to hear' trick. Often. And at the end of the movie, when Magneto dons the helmet that blocks that, Xavier has to think of the right words on his own for the first time in a long time. And what does he say? The absolute worst thing you could say to someone like Magneto. Because he hasn't had to use his own words in a long time. Do you see what I'm saying?

So what OTHER uses of telepathy do you have in mind?

It wasn't offensive, it was difficult to tell if you were serious or joking.

I think in this aspect, you'd have to consider that everyone in the world is morally different, sure reading thoughts could put you ahead in life. Anticipating peoples needs and manipulating people isn't like me though, I'd probably have little need for it. Sure it'd be fun and addictive for a while, like any video game, but eventually (as with everything) you get bored. And I do mean EVERYTHING, even something as complex as love, you get bored. I see what you're saying, but you ignore the fact that everyone has different morals and intentions.

What would I initially use it for? Yeah I'd be more confident with chicks because I'd know if they dig me, but just because I don't relate to them but COULD come off like I do, I wouldn't do it. For example, if she liked Metallica (which is the completely different genre type that I like), I wouldn't bother trying to make a serious relation ship. Sounds kind of intolerant if I wouldn't date a chick because of the music she likes, so I'll give another example. I could review any detail about her, like occupation, family and living habits, and if I don't relate, I wouldn't bother really. Why should I?

Another perk is the ability to tell if someone is lying or not. I'd only pluck into their minds if it was a serious question like "Where were you all night?" and if she goes "Just hanging with friends" I'd probably only use it then.

Other than that, the fun will bore me over time, just like anything and everything.

But I'd still choose it over any other power there. We have invisibility, which does nothing for good people, really. Then we have the ability to fly, it's not like we can survive march level speeds. Shape-shifting may be cool, but again to what end? March 1 running speed, we don't even have the reaction to keep up with it. Phasing, er cool, we can walk through solid objects. Telekinesis, what are you going to do with that? Lift a car? And healing... I heal non fatal wounds in 3 days, like anyone else. I just chose the more versatile one and something I could use.

#34 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

But I'd still choose it over any other power there. We have invisibility, which does nothing for good people, really. Then we have the ability to fly, it's not like we can survive march level speeds. Shape-shifting may be cool, but again to what end? March 1 running speed, we don't even have the reaction to keep up with it. Phasing, er cool, we can walk through solid objects. Telekinesis, what are you going to do with that? Lift a car? And healing... I heal non fatal wounds in 3 days, like anyone else. I just chose the more versatile one and something I could use.

Well let's see... Do you know that little bit of breathlessness you get when you see someone you like? That bit of nervousness? Butterflies in your stomach? That's a physical thing. Which, by using telekinesis correctly, I could artificially induce by squeezing certain organs to mess with blood flow. You could see if someones into you, yes, I could MAKE them think they're into me with telekinesis.

On top of that, I could make myself functionally invulnerable with forcefields, just in case. I could fly, and again, forcefields, so that mach level speed isn't bothering me, and in flight, there's nothing to run into so I don't NEED great reaction time if I have to get somewhere fast.

As for more every day situations, I could use it to bring something to me, obviously. If I wanted to steal some money, it'd be child's play: pull some cash out of their wallets, let it float to the ground, gradually pull it towards me as if it's pulled by the wind. Stick to cash, and non public places so other people don't snatch it up, and I'm fine.

For LEGAL things, I could multitask. Say I have a job on computers, or with paper work, with telekinesis, I could do all of it simultaneously, either by using multiple keyboards/computers, or pencils. It'd be a bit tricky to start with, but I'd acclimate. There are a myriad other applications for such an ability that wouldn't give it away if I'm careful.

As far as subtle things to actually help people, were I so inclined to be a superhero: Oh, someone pulls a gun? Whoops, I just flicked on the safety before they could fire, and kept it stuck there. Criminals these days. Pull a knife? It's a miracle it didn't cut someone. Must need sharpening or something. A fire? The flames and smoke just didn't reach people.

All done without ever giving myself away as having powers.

#35 Edited by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith

Well let's see... Do you know that little bit of breathlessness you get when you see someone you like? That bit of nervousness? Butterflies in your stomach? That's a physical thing. Which, by using telekinesis correctly, I could artificially induce by squeezing certain organs to mess with blood flow. You could see if someones into you, yes, I could MAKE them think they're into me with telekinesis.

On top of that, I could make myself functionally invulnerable with forcefields, just in case. I could fly, and again, forcefields, so that mach level speed isn't bothering me, and in flight, there's nothing to run into so I don't NEED great reaction time if I have to get somewhere fast.

As for more every day situations, I could use it to bring something to me, obviously. If I wanted to steal some money, it'd be child's play: pull some cash out of their wallets, let it float to the ground, gradually pull it towards me as if it's pulled by the wind. Stick to cash, and non public places so other people don't snatch it up, and I'm fine.

For LEGAL things, I could multitask. Say I have a job on computers, or with paper work, with telekinesis, I could do all of it simultaneously, either by using multiple keyboards/computers, or pencils. It'd be a bit tricky to start with, but I'd acclimate. There are a myriad other applications for such an ability that wouldn't give it away if I'm careful.

As far as subtle things to actually help people, were I so inclined to be a superhero: Oh, someone pulls a gun? Whoops, I just flicked on the safety before they could fire, and kept it stuck there. Criminals these days. Pull a knife? It's a miracle it didn't cut someone. Must need sharpening or something. A fire? The flames and smoke just didn't reach people.

All done without ever giving myself away as having powers.

1. Do you know what internal organs and nerves to tug on? Highly doubtful, since its got something to do with the brain receptors. Good luck standing there holding your hand out trying to mess with something at microscopic levels.

2. Ever think about the exposure you'll receive if you use it on an every day basis? What people may think about you? You'd be considered a threat in some laws. Also, are you truly loose on morals that you'd steal from people?

3. It's realistically impossible for someone to carry out multiple tasks at once. Say you have a biology test to study for, a law assessment to write and a book to read for English class. You'd need the mind of a genius to absorb all that information. Think of the migraines you'll get just for pushing your mind to such limit.

#36 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Do you know what internal organs and nerves to tug on? Highly doubtful, since its got something to do with the brain receptors. Good luck standing there holding your hand out trying to mess with something at microscopic levels.

2. Ever think about the exposure you'll receive if you use it on an every day basis? What people may think about you? You'd be considered a threat in some laws. Also, are you truly loose on morals that you'd steal from people?

3. It's realistically impossible for someone to carry out multiple tasks at once. Say you have a biology test to study for, a law assessment to right and a book to read for English class. You'd need the mind of a genius to absorb all that information. Think of the migraines you'll get just for pushing your mind to such limit.

1. The brain receptors DO have something to do with it: The butterfly in stomach thing is caused by anxiety triggering fight or flight, and thus pumping adrenaline and increasing blood flow. Think of it as a VERY mild panic attack. So how do I artificially stimulate this response? Rather simply: Grab the heart or lungs, pump a few times, very, very, lightly. This will increase blood flow in a similar way and thus activate this feeling. And I wouldn't need to hold out my hand: I'd do it with my mind. No need to be Magneto about it.

2. I don't NEED to do it on an every day basis. As far as flight goes, yeah, that'd be cool, but I wouldn't do that every day. Know what I COULD do everyday? Get a car, roll it's wheels with telekinesis, get where I'm going without ever needing to pay for gas. Properly applied telekinesis, in the way I'm describing using it, is all about subtlety: Done right, no one will even know anything unusual has occurred. And no, I probably wouldn't steal from people. That was an example. Like the gun safety thing I noted above: I COULD yank the gun out of his hand with telekinesis. Or I could hold the safety on until he's stopped by someone else and no one's any the wiser that I was involved. Subtle, see?

3. I don't need to study. That requires actively in taking and processing information for later use. And while doing something like working on multiple keyboards WOULD be difficult, I have the utmost confidence in my ability to do it. Provided I proofread afterwards to insure everything's alright. And besides: Migraines are temporary, saved time is forever.

#37 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith:

The brain receptors DO have something to do with it: The butterfly in stomach thing is caused by anxiety triggering fight or flight, and thus pumping adrenaline and increasing blood flow. Think of it as a VERY mild panic attack. So how do I artificially stimulate this response? Rather simply: Grab the heart or lungs, pump a few times, very, very, lightly. This will increase blood flow in a similar way and thus activate this feeling. And I wouldn't need to hold out my hand: I'd do it with my mind. No need to be Magneto about it.

Yeah because grabbing their internal organs won't be painful.

As I suspected, each to their own. I have more use for telepathy, you have more use for telekinesis. No need to call each other out for it.

#38 Edited by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah because grabbing their internal organs won't be painful.

As I suspected, each to their own. I have more use for telepathy, you have more use for telekinesis. No need to call each other out for it.

Fair enough, enjoy reading people's deepest darkest secrets. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy being awesome.

Seriously though, I didn't mean to offend or call you out on your choice, I was just curious as to what you intended to do with it, and notify you of what might be the consequences to see how you'd respond to them. Telekinesis seemed like such a ringer for me I couldn't see why anyone else would WANT any of the other buttons, so I figured I must have missed some serious perks.

#39 Posted by MonsterStomp (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith:

Fair enough, enjoy reading people's deepest darkest secrets.

Will do! Enjoy tugging on peoples internal organs and killing them by mistake.

#40 Edited by Manchine (3970 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have more fun with grey. =)

#41 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey

#42 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with pink!

#43 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17583 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for grey. Would be very useful.

@deadite said:

@jonsmith said:

@deadite said:

Hmm, I was so invested in Pink, I didn't see that Grey would have this kind of perks. (What a weird sentence.

I don't think you would need psychic powers for that.

I mean if you had those powers you would be able to communicate with everyone on the same level

#44 Posted by Immortal777 (6892 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink.

A lot of these powers would do more damage to the body than good.

#45 Posted by RoyceLunar (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Pink

#46 Posted by The Stegman (23059 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite said:

@jonsmith said:

@deadite said:

I think Sylar from Heroes did something similar with his TK, he cut a tumor out of a woman's brain, healing her.

#47 Posted by sharingan_eyes (89 posts) - - Show Bio

ATTENTION!!!!!

I found this on the internet, and yeah, it's not very detailed and can cause confusion, so I'mma add a bit more.

Red: Pretty well detailed, you can turn yourself and WHATEVER you're touching invisible, including clothes and other people.

Blue: You can fly up to 100 mph

Yellow: You can read anyone's thoughts, yeah, pretty simple

Green: You can turn into any non extinct animal without necessarily knowing their exact physiology.

Orange: You can run at the speed of sound (think early Quicksilver)

Purple: Yeah, think Kitty Pryde.

Grey: Telekinesis...pretty much that.

Pink: Since this is causing a lot of confusion, you can heal any non fatal wound, including, non fatal stabbings, gunshots, burns, cuts etc. You can also heal ailments like colds, flus, etc. As for cancer, you can heal it in its early stages, but once the victim is in critical condition, you will be unable to cure them.

#48 Posted by Deadite (20702 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader

Do you think it would be able to establish communication with people with autism? People with Autism have brain that have trouble processing signals to their brain. It would be interesting if there're feats relating to communicating with Autism.

It's like communicating with someone that's living in another dimension.

@deadite said:

@jonsmith said:

@deadite said:

I think Sylar from Heroes did something similar with his TK, he cut a tumor out of a woman's brain, healing her.

So, you think that Grey would be better than Pink?

#49 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17583 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

Orange