Predictions: 5 Best Films of the First Quarter of 2011

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

With 2010 drawing to a close, it is time to look forward to 2011 and the new releases it will bring. It is difficult to predict what will be all the good films for the whole year, due to scheduling changes and lack of information (and the fact that it is unlikely anyone will remember in December a prediction made a year before). Therefore, I will instead predict what will be the best films of the first quarter of 2011. Due to it probably being the quarter containing the least amount of films (and the ones it has often having little-to-no information readily available on them) I have listed only five choices--though unlike in the past I have given each of them a rank (1 being the best, 2 being second, etc.). Please remember that at the time I write this Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has lost its original release date and its new one is to be determined; if it gets a slot similar to its original I will be delighted. Anyway, here goes:

( image from IMDB)

5. Red Riding Hood(March 11): Director Cathrine Hardwicke has proven the ability to pump adrenaline into anything, from Thirteen to The Nativity Story to even (!!cough!!) Twilight, and scary fairy tales are usually awesome, so its no wonder there is excitement for this horror-fantasy retelling of the legend "Red Riding Hood," re-done Hollywood (but thankfully not-Disney) style with romance (duh) and a were-wolf (YEAH!). Sure, it loses a few points for replacing the traditionally child protagonist with the decidedly-adult Amanda Seyfried and it might have trouble obtaining the depth to be one of the year's best, but RRH's exciting premise should make this experience entertaining and maybe even memorable.

( image from GeekTyrant)
4. Sucker Punch(March 25): While I have yet to see Watchmen and was a bit to young when 300 came out, I have to say that Legend of the Guardians was pretty freaking awesome! Sure, it wasn't quite as thoughtful as Lord of the Rings , but it had enough morals to be the perfect family fantasy and some of the most gorgeous visuals I have ever seen. Furthermore, at the same time Tim Burton was making Alice in Wonderland Disney-clean that kiddy-flick managed to contain the year's best action! So, whether you think he's right for the Superman-reboot or not, it is imperative that we understand that whatever Guardians's mastermind Zack Snyder has next is very likely going to be big. While an unusual choice for a sci-fi/fantasy/anime epic considering all the events take place in the protagonists mind to help her cope with stressful events, one should not write off a movie that seems to have more explosions and robots than Star Wars. Yes, its moral appears to be the exact same as Precious (switch "abusive home" with "abusive institution"), but there could be a little extra here to make this something powerful. And if not you might want to remember that Precious didn't have THIS:

( image from GeekTyrant)

Please not that the next picture is for an entirely different movie.

(image from IMDB)

3. The Company Men(January 21): Given the current economic downturn, this allegedly-enlightening story of a man (Ben Affleck) coping with his recent unemployment and subsequent depression is quite timely. However this could be good anytime if its done right, and (despite the unsavory rating explanation) the trailer seem and descriptions seem to indicate they did. Featuring an impressive cast for a limited release, this John Wells production has Chris Cooper, Maria Bello, Kevin Costner, and Tommy Lee Jones.

(image from IMDB)

2. The Beaver(March 23):Red Riding Hood has an interesting premise, but this one wins the originality award: A depressed man going through an unpleasant divorce and rocky period with his son decides to have an alternate personality take over his life in the form of an abandoned beaver puppet he operates. Half comedy/half drama, this Jodie Foster-directed movie could be offensive and cynical, or it could be truly moving tale.

(image from IMDB)
1. Biutiful (January 28): Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's first directorial feature since Babel, Biutiful is the critically-lauded entry from Mexico for the Academy Awards' Best Foreign Language Picture. However, due to the unique requirements for that category, Biutiful is not a 2010 film, since American viewers can't see it until January (unless they buy the DVD online). The story of a compassionate-father deep-in-organizes crime who wants to solve lose ends and ensure a good future for his children before he dies. Yes, last year's most praised foreign film was the odiferous The Secrets in their Eyes; still, the critic community is right more often than not and I am going to take their word and get excited for this movie. I hope you do to.

I wish luck to anyone who follows my advice and sees these films. I will post again when they are out to evaluate their merits (and my MAD predicting skills). I would love to hear your picks too, so feel free to post whether you are reading this on screened or my more complete website cinetim.blogspot.com. :) 
Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Renee

OMG Sucker Punch and Red Riding Hood look AH-MAZING! I will def be seeing them.

Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Renee said:
"

"
:) 
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone else??

Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Daydream

From what I can tell, Sucker Punch has: girls, guns, dragons, girls, violence, and girls. That's a winning formula.

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LightBright

Out of all of those I only really want to see Sucker Punch. The Red Riding Hood trailer made me gag. 

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Renee said:
"

"
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Daydream said:
"  From what I can tell, Sucker Punch has: girls, guns, dragons, girls, violence, and girls. That's a winning formula. "
lol@LightBright said:
" Out of all of those I only really want to see Sucker Punch. The Red Riding Hood trailer made me gag.  "
really?  why?
Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I am looking forward to Sucker Punch.

RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RLAAMJR

i'm definitely gonna watch Red Riding Hood, for a fact that i like BB Hood and they made the story dark.",)

I'm just wondering why you didn't include: "I Am Number 4"

Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RLAAMJR said:
" i'm definitely gonna watch Red Riding Hood, for a fact that i like BB Hood and they made the story dark.",)  I'm just wondering why you didn't include: "I Am Number 4" "
well, for starters they have kept everything so under wraps.  also, it did not seem to have the originality or seriousness as my other entries.  i am not against it, i just don't think it has shown anything indicating it will be something really special.  it could be, but it hasnt seemed so yet.  @Illyana Rasputin said:
" I am looking forward to Sucker Punch. "
everyone seems to be (at least here and on screened) :)