Posted by Paracelsus (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

By now most readers will have heard of Pope Francis's speech asking for forgiveness over the "abuse scandals" that have repeatedly rocked the Catholic Church all over the world(most secular news outlets even in largely Protestant Britain have mentioned it not just in newspapers but on TV and radio).

It's easy to be cynical on this issue and say nothing changes, but I think those that do are going from one extreme to the other . Like it or not there are times when you MUST accept that expressions of contrition are real.

I think the Pontiff is sincere on this issue.

What do YOU think?

Terry

#1 Posted by aquaman01 (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

People can hate on the people who have done the horrible things all they want and never trust the Catholic church and not be wrong. What they have done is inexcusable and will take decades, probably more than that, to even begin to forgive them. However, people should also take what the Pope said in consideration as not all, nay, most catholic churches have never harmed a child. Just because a few did horrible things doesn't mean we should blame everybody. I agree with this Pope and actually find him to be awesome lol.

#2 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio

We will probably never know the number of people who have suffered abuse from the catholic church. Maybe the pope and the church will have the right to ask for forgiveness when more has actually being done.

#3 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

The Pope is a child abuser? 0.0

#4 Edited by StardustCrusader (471 posts) - - Show Bio

We will probably never know the number of people who have suffered abuse from the catholic church. Maybe the pope and the church will have the right to ask for forgiveness when more has actually being done.

This

Until they do something, these are just cheap words.

#5 Posted by The_Deathstroker (7963 posts) - - Show Bio

The atheism is strong in this thread.

#6 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

That's good that he finally said something about it, but how about doing something about it.

#7 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy said:

That's good that he finally said something about it, but how about doing something about it.

agreed. if it was his kid im betting he would sing a whole different tune

dont get me wrong i respect this new pope for a lot of things but the whole child abuse thing imo cant be forgiven

#8 Edited by Squares (6909 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't believe that forgiveness for child abuse is something that can just be given, it needs to be earned. Maybe that's just me, though.

#9 Edited by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my favorite Pope.

#10 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (10767 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Pope I'd like to have a drink with

#11 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm...

#12 Edited by MaccyD (4186 posts) - - Show Bio

Francis is the type of pope that the Church needs after those scandals.

#13 Posted by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

The kind of environment that nurtures and encourages child abuse is fascinating to me (in the most WTF way possible). The amount of victims and abusers that have come forward is astonishing. Just plain astounding. Some may question Pope Francis for asking forgiveness, but that's kind of the Catholic Church's thing (besides abusing young boys). They're all about forgiveness. Besides, it's a big deal that he's acknowledging it instead of ignoring it and trying to sweep it under the rug like they did for years.

#14 Posted by Paracelsus (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step- it may take decades or maybe even centuries(hey the Church thinks in terms of centuries anyway), but I think the first step has been made!

Terry

#15 Posted by Black_Arrow (3201 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't deserve it .