• 88 results
#1 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you guys think about all these Politicians using there Religious Beliefs to pull people to vote for them ? Do you think its right to just vote for someone based on their faith ? Should there be more emphasis on the social issues that plague are country today ?

#2 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, Politics-nothing in line with faith.

And I'm outta here.

#3 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio

Its getting really stupid how guys like Mike Huckabee just use there Beliefs to say that they are the right President for our country. I mean doesnt the Good Book say Thou Shall Not Kill and yet he has the Highest Percentage of Executions of the Death Penalty than any of the other politicians. Its just so screwy.

#4 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Right.....I live in Canada, so I don't really follow American politics too much, so I can't comment on to much there.

But exploiting someone's beliefs in order to get their vote to win an election sickens me. It's like if there's someone black running and someone white running and the white guy says "I'm white, a lot of you are white too-vote for me if you're white!". It's just stupid.

#5 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Right.....I live in Canada, so I don't really follow American politics too much, so I can't comment on to much there. But exploiting someone's beliefs in order to get their vote to win an election sickens me. It's like if there's someone black running and someone white running and the white guy says "I'm white, a lot of you are white too-vote for me if you're white!". It's just stupid."

Exactly.

#6 Posted by Reject (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Right.....I live in Canada, so I don't really follow American politicstoo much, so I can't comment on to much there.But exploiting someone's beliefs in order to get their vote to win anelection sickens me. It's like if there's someone black running andsomeone white running and the white guy says "I'm white, a lot of youare white too-vote for me if you're white!". It's just stupid."

That's politics for you.

#7 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio

How can that Dookie Head keep us funding this Expensive War we are in over in Iraq ? He is just so stupid

#8 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats with this ''The south will rise again'' confederate crap'
#9 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Smiths said:
" Whats with this ''The south will rise again'' confederate crap' "
What?
#10 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
Texans keep talking about succeeding from the union and becoming there own country.

The founding fathers separated church and state for a reason.   Voting should be based on the issues at hand, not whether or not you're the same religion as the politician. 
#11 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
Texans keep talking about succeeding from the union and becoming there own country.  The founding fathers separated church and state for a reason.   Voting should be based on the issues at hand, not whether or not you're the same religion as the politician.  "
That is not really an issue, myself and other intelligent Americans usually ignore them
#12 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
Texans keep talking about succeeding from the union and becoming there own country.  The founding fathers separated church and state for a reason.   Voting should be based on the issues at hand, not whether or not you're the same religion as the politician.  "
That is not really an issue, myself and other intelligent Americans usually ignore them "
The problem is the vast number of unintelligent Americans.
#13 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
That is not really an issue, myself and other intelligent Americans usually ignore them "
The problem is the vast number of unintelligent Americans. "
So true
#14 Posted by The Mast (770 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"

What do you guys think about all these Politicians using there Religious Beliefs to pull people to vote for them ? Do you think its right to just vote for someone based on their faith ? Should there be more emphasis on the social issues that plague are country today ?

"

No. Religion needs to be kept as far from politics as humanly possible. If you can't do that, don't volunteer for the job.

You can choose to believe in God all you want, but you are governing a nation full of varied religious and non-religious people, so you can't go around making laws based on your beliefs. A woman should never be denied an abortion based on the ALLEGED wishes of a god she doesn't even believe in.

Utterly disgusting.
#15 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "

Why do they want to become their own country?
#16 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
this was one of the first threads I ever created on this site... how in God's Name did you find this ?
#17 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"this was one of the first threads I ever created on this site... how in God's Name did you find this ? "

#18 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
wow... I didnt think I would have ever seen this thread again... hopefully someone will bump up my Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. thread before the month goes out... 
lol 
#19 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

While this thread is under the effect of a black lantern ring I'll drop in this:   

In order to vote it should be required to get a license (kinda like a driver's license) which needs to be renewed every couple of years. You get said license by passing a test, not necessarily an IQ test but a "political / world view" knowledge test. You shouldn't be allowed to vote if you don't know the first thing about what's happening outside of your small town. I know there's a problem actually getting people to vote so applying a policy like this would probably make even less people vote which brings me to my other point: you should be able to vote from home (either with a form mailed to you or online) - it's 2010 damn it!

#20 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow two years the most that I've gotten was four months

#21 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" Wow two years the most that I've gotten was four months "
how long have you been on this site ?
#22 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"

"

The same reason Other do the same becase they are a female and others because they are aftrican american
#23 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:
Little over a year
#24 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

King Saturn I searched politics and this threrad came up. Did not wanna make a thread that already existed.
#25 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Smiths said:
" @Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
Why do they want to become their own country? "
Who knows? I would guess lack of intelligence. Apparently they all forgot how pissed Mexico was when they lost Texas. Would be interesting to see what would happen if Texas suddenly wasn't part of the US.  I'm guessing Mexico would be getting a little bigger, lol.
#26 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
" @Green Skin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Mr. Smiths said:
What? "
Why do they want to become their own country? "
Who knows? I would guess lack of intelligence. Apparently they all forgot how pissed Mexico was when they lost Texas. Would be interesting to see what would happen if Texas suddenly wasn't part of the US.  I'm guessing Mexico would be getting a little bigger, lol. "

U.S. would take a big hit if Texas was not apart of it anymore.
#27 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" @King Saturn: Little over a year "
@Mr. Smiths said:
" King Saturn I searched politics and this threrad came up. Did not wanna make a thread that already existed. "
alrighty x 2 
#28 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW TOPIC! 

sara palin (whatever her name is) is an idiot

#29 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1 said:
" NEW TOPIC!  sara palin (whatever her name is) is an idiot "
yeah... she is played out now though
#30 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:  
nope. she is currently making an idiot of herself 

did you hear about her writing down her speech on her palm?
#31 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1 said:
" @King Saturn:  nope. she is currently making an idiot of herself  did you hear about her writing down her speech on her palm? "
but we already know how dumb she is... she cant make herself look any more stupid because most people already see her as a complete idiot 
#32 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:  
hmmmmmmm now that you put it like that i never did think highly of her lol
#33 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
indeed
#34 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4156 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1: I don't see what the big deal is, she didn't write the whole speech on her hand, she wrote like four key talking points. So what she didn't want a piece of paper or a prompter. I really don't understand the constant slamming she gets from people about that. Hell when Obama's prompter went out he didn't know what he was talking about. The last President I remember not needing the prompter was Clinton, he was half way through his speech when they got it working and he didn't miss a single beat.
#35 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
Redneck Teleprompter

Crib notes written on a public speaker's hand in order to
remind him or her what to say during a speech or interview.

Sarah Palin glanced at her redneck teleprompter during her
interview a the Tea Party Conference in Nashville.
#36 Posted by TheGuy (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that Atheists are The most distrusted minority in America according I think to a CNN poll; yeah, we're pretty backward as a society to depend on values defined by Religoon instead of the needs of society. 

Might I add, Obama was never significantly active in religion before he started his political career. Hell, try to find a congressman who is religiously unaffiliated, its like trying to find  a needle in a haystack. Being an atheist is political suicide in the USA and most other countries.

#37 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGuy: 
truth in the Obama part. if i remember correctly he even disavowed his own church
while he was campaigning, though in a large part due to shenanigans they tried
to pull on his behalf.
#38 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" @FLCL1: I don't see what the big deal is, she didn't write the whole speech on her hand, she wrote like four key talking points. So what she didn't want a piece of paper or a prompter. I really don't understand the constant slamming she gets from people about that. Hell when Obama's prompter went out he didn't know what he was talking about. The last President I remember not needing the prompter was Clinton, he was half way through his speech when they got it working and he didn't miss a single beat. "

it just looks so stupid,its like she is asking her opposers to bomb her
#39 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4156 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1: But what makes it stupid? If she hadn't brought anything out and forgot what she wanted to talk about, then ya she would look stupid. But writing it on your hand, what's the big deal? Haven't you ever jotted anything on your hand for quick reference. The only reason people are making a big deal over it is because its Sarah Palin.
#40 Posted by The Mast (770 posts) - - Show Bio

Sarah Palin has done more than enough to prove she belongs nowhere near any kind of governing power LONG before this.

#41 Posted by Do I have to give a name? (971 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mast said:
 No. Religion needs to be kept as far from politics as humanly possible. If you can't do that, don't volunteer for the job.  You can choose to believe in God all you want, but you are governing a nation full of varied religious and non-religious people, so you can't go around making laws based on your beliefs.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too. Policies should be made on the needs of society as a whole, not on the moral opinions of a select few.
#42 Posted by The Mast (770 posts) - - Show Bio
@Do I have to give a name? said:
" @The Mast said:
 No. Religion needs to be kept as far from politics as humanly possible. If you can't do that, don't volunteer for the job.  You can choose to believe in God all you want, but you are governing a nation full of varied religious and non-religious people, so you can't go around making laws based on your beliefs.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too. Policies should be made on the needs of society as a whole, not on the moral opinions of a select few. "

If one can consider them moral opinions.
#43 Posted by Do I have to give a name? (971 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean in the sense that the person considers them moral or immoral. Not in the sense of whether they actually are or not. I think morals can be highly subjective things to be honest.

#44 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio
@Do I have to give a name? said:
" I mean in the sense that the person considers them moral or immoral. Not in the sense of whether they actually are or not. I think morals can be highly subjective things to be honest. "
I agree with this.
#45 Posted by Lunacyde (17650 posts) - - Show Bio

People don't trust Atheist because they view them as believing in nothing.

#46 Edited by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
i only listen and vote for politicians whose personal life i am aware of or my church tells me about them or is part of my religion.

i know politicians all have good or bad  reasons for getting into politics and agendas. their message, reason and platforms as important is it is, is not more important then saving ppl's souls and making sure that the fabric of our country is a good christian based nation with good morals.

if he or she isnt married by the time she/he is old enough to run for office, i think that says something about the person and i dont want someone like that in a position of power and change. i think having a family is a measure of a person.

the politician who is pro life is another reason i would vote for them. no one but my God has the right to take life and is able to decrease or prolong a person's life.

so long that the person shares my beliefs i would vote for them otherwise ur just serving the Devil and ur an atheist.  :)
#47 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

*sets and baits trap* 
ABORTION IS WRONG!!!! 
 *sits back relaxes and enjoys the show*

#48 Posted by Lunacyde (17650 posts) - - Show Bio

i only listen and vote for politicians whose personal life i am aware of or my church tells me about them or is part of my religion.  

So you are against thinking for yourself.

i know politicians all have good or bad  reasons for getting into politics and agendas. their message, reason and platforms as important is it is, is not more important then saving ppl's souls and making sure that the fabric of our country is a good christian based nation with good morals. 

So it's more important to know why they began their political career, than to know what thier platform is? 

if he or she isnt married by the time she/he is old enough to run for office, i think that says something about the person and i dont want someone like that in a position of power and change. i think having a family is a measure of a person.  

So now being married is some kind of qualification for knowing how to run a country? It's people like you that scare me. Secondly not being married doesn't make you any worse of a person. 

the politician who is pro life is another reason i would vote for them. no one but my God has the right to take life and is able to decrease or prolong a person's soul. 

Maybe so, but a President doesn't have the power to overturn Roe v. Wade so not a good reason to vote for someone. Why not vote based on a myriad of other things the president actually has control over.

so long that the person shares my beliefs i would vote for them otherwise ur just serving the Devil and ur an atheist.  :)  

Who says your beliefs are the correct beliefs?
#49 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
i was being sarcastic and showing some very stupid reasons that ppl vote and things you hear on the news and town/city  meetings.... it's a sad commentary on the ppl that help change and guide politics,....

the fanatics/ old generations  vote more then the ppl whose life's are effected b/c they are too apathetic to care.

#50 Posted by Lunacyde (17650 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking: Alright good....because everything you just said was so ridiculous I was having a hard time believing anyone would say that lol