Police getting out of hand.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@batwatch said:

I'm very suspicious of authority in general, so unsurprisingly, cops make the list.

I think there is a real problem. The federal government has been dumpling tons of cash on local police departments to armor up which is troubling in and of itself. For instance, my town of thirty thousand got an armored troop transport capable of taking bomb blasts the other day. Why? Just in case. This sort of militarization has been going on across the country from what I've heard. There's a book called Government of Wolves that documents this thoroughly

Then, there's a bad attitude among some police officers, and I've also heard reports of this spreading though this part is just hearsay. I can say that in my own town, I know lots and lots of people who have had bad experiences with cops; rarely outright abuse mind you, but minor harassment and lots of attitude. Many cops act like they are better than you, and with any class that has special privileges, this is likely to happen. Every time I see a cop speeding down the road, I want to scream in rage since I'd be pulled over for doing the same.

With racism, my gut instinct is to say it's not a huge factor because I don't see much racism in my daily life, but I do have a friend who married a cop, and the first time I met him, I heard him mention pulling someone over because they were black. It was across the room and I didn't hear the whole conversation; it might have been a joke, but ever since then, I've wondered if it really is a big problem among cops.

Regardless, I don't believe most cops are bad. Obviously, there are some bad ones, but if most caps were evil, the nation would be in much worse shape. I think the biggest problem is just this attitude of being elite that many I've seen have had, and I hope police will try to keep that in check.

And of course, there are lots of wonderful things police do for us everyday, and those moments go largely unrecognized, so for every good cop in the world, thanks and keep doing the good work guys!

Basically this. A lot of SWAT departments are getting anti-terrorism funds and military surplus gear, and basically are just sitting on them. Sooner or later, more and more minor incidents become 'SWAT worthy" to simply justify the large amount of funds, training, and equipment the police department is getting. That's why more and more of the police brutality incidents in the US come from SWAT raids on a kid in Nowhereville, Nebraska for possession of like 1 gram of pot or something like that.

In any case, I agree that the problem of police corruption is a major problem in other countries far more than it is in the US, but as usual on this site, world problems are only talked about in the context of one country. I have a best friend from Venezuela (who now lives in Miami) and he tells me every time I see him about how police in that country are basically OWNED by cartels. Yeah sure, the USA has its problems with bored departments and the oversized application of force, but compared to other places, it seems trivial in comparison.

Anyone played Max Payne 3 here?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2 said:

@stormdriven said:

@armiv2: Nooooooo, I already used those :(

Oh...oh yeah...

Well How Stupid Mr. Bates of me.

That long chain was fun while it lasted, but I guess it had a Death Wish.

Nothing lasts forever. It was a nice little love affair, but as it goes, If You Love Someone Set Them Free.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By cameron83

Okay,not even joking. Are you seriously defending police brutality/power abuse? I'm not talking about if there is severe resistance with guns like it is in a mafia movie,btw....

You actually think that people deserve it?

......What is wrong with you,dude?

By the way,I'm referring to police brutality/abusing power,just so there's no misunderstanding.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156 Lunacyde  Moderator

@lunacyde said:

@wolverine08 said:
Loading Video...

:D

One of these days someone is going to throw all 100lbs of you out a window....and you're going to want police to catch them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddd, Wolverine08 once again successfully baits :D

You people are too easy.

I'm just playing along buddy ;)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

I forgot what county it was here in Cali, but they make Officers wear cameras that civilians can request to turn off (they are on all the time) and it's led to 80% less complaints and it think it would be a great idea to test nationally

Interesting idea.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: If you agree with such a well thought out intelligent post that actually makes sense to both sides then why the f*ck would you say "f*ck the police"? I don't care that people criticize them. I really don't. I only care when people say f*ck the police, because when you say that, you're saying you think the world would be better without them. It's only the response for the ignorant and uneducated.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: I think most people that wave the police brutality card did something to deserve it. That isn't always the case, but I have witnessed a lot of it first hand. For example, a guy sued for police brutality after an officer witnessed him raping a young girl, instead of looking at the guys deeds, all fingers were pointed at the cop for beating him. Whether you agree or not with police brutality, most people I see arrested kinda deserve it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By cameron83

@cable_extreme said:

@cameron83: I think most people that wave the police brutality card did something to deserve it. That isn't always the case, but I have witnessed a lot of it first hand. For example, a guy sued for police brutality after an officer witnessed him raping a young girl, instead of looking at the guys deeds, all fingers were pointed at the cop for beating him. Whether you agree or not with police brutality, most people I see arrested kinda deserve it.

I don't think "most people" deserve something so horrible and inhumane anymore than most cops deserve to be deemed as "bad". I am not knocking your experience (not at all),and there are cases where situations happen due to what the civilian caused,but whatever the case,actual brutality and abuse of power is NOT justified (and there are varying results from death to just general harassment,which in turn creates a lack of trust and respect in an entire community). The very concept of it is unjust. I really don't hope that you truly think that most cases of police brutality,especially against young minority groups,is just a general case of a criminal crying wolf. It's a bit of an unfair generalization to make.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP was probably just butthurt from getting pulled over

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: well, I respect your opinion. But I think most people deserve it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@cameron83: the main arguments agaisnt police brutality assume that they are brutalizing the innocent, that they are evil unjust people. However, you would be surprised about the heinous stuff that they witness and react to. The young minority groups that they "target" with police brutality falls under the category of wordplay. These minorities are the product of their environment (as we all mostly are). The fact that the majority of the people claiming police brutality are a racial minority directly correlates with the racial percentage of people that go to jail. This means that this minority deals more crime for the cops to react to.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: . . IIRC He backed a cop for killing a man for “resisting” arrest.. so it's not really shocking.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: the cop didn't kill the guy, he died of a heart attack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah and crime is SO tame nowadays.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, if an officer is allowed to beat the shit out of you if you commit a crime, then I don't see the difference with self-made justice.

That said, police violence isn't the main problem, it's one of the many symptoms of social crysis, like prision, which is a way to play around the real problem instead of solving them (like the spread of poverty and ignorance that ignites crime).

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By DBVSE7

@cable_extreme: not even going to get into this in detail, but yea what was the cause of the heart attack?.. Cause you know the choke hold didn't help at all.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: a lot of factors, his weight, diet, heart rate, resistance etc...

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By cameron83

@cable_extreme said:

@cameron83: the main arguments agaisnt police brutality assume that they are brutalizing the innocent, that they are evil unjust people. However, you would be surprised about the heinous stuff that they witness and react to. The young minority groups that they "target" with police brutality falls under the category of wordplay. These minorities are the product of their environment (as we all mostly are). The fact that the majority of the people claiming police brutality are a racial minority directly correlates with the racial percentage of people that go to jail. This means that this minority deals more crime for the cops to react to.

So,are you saying that these young minorities are mainly criminals due to their environment,and the police are only reacting to what they see? That most cases of police brutality are just cases of criminals,basically,just crying wolf? This seems like an incredibly large generalization. Doesn't that seem a little,idk,biased to you? Or very very very biased?

I mean,it just seems like you only see the side of the cops.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: And I take it that the chokehold had MAJOR help in that right?

You know the whole Asthma and choke hold hard to breathe combination that could easily cause a man if his size a heart attack.

Just an example of police getting out of hand.

Ehh.. but from what I've seen I guess he deserved that right.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: everything that isn't 40 plus pages long is going to be a bit generalized.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By cameron83

@cable_extreme said:

@cameron83: everything that isn't 40 plus pages long is going to be a bit generalized.

Yeah,but it just seems like you are grouping up most cases of police brutality as nothing but a case of criminals that are just placing blame on cops,and all they really got was a slap on the wrist. I mean,my god,I can't even comprehend this.....It's like if I group every cop as one that accepts bribes just because there are many that do. I guess that seems fair. It doesn't really seem like you are looking at this fairly imo.

If only I could believe such things,but they seem a bit ignorant/one-sided,not that there aren't cases where it's true,but that's like saying most cases of rape against females is just them trying to get their male friends in trouble....It just seems....so.......incredibly......ignorant.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am speaking for myself, and I have never had a problem with police. I see reported issues of police brutality stand out mainly because if you report the good things cops do you would have an update every 5 mins. I believe there are bad cops out there, but thats because they are bad people in general. I have walked around , at night, with my hoody up, and I am black, no cops stop me, pull me aside, give me dirty looks. One time a cop asked me if i was smoking weed, and that's because a bunch of people blamed me so they wouldnt get in trouble. I said no, explained the situation, and said I could get back on the bus.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

I am speaking for myself, and I have never had a problem with police. I see reported issues of police brutality stand out mainly because if you report the good things cops do you would have an update every 5 mins. I believe there are bad cops out there, but thats because they are bad people in general. I have walked around , at night, with my hoody up, and I am black, no cops stop me, pull me aside, give me dirty looks. One time a cop asked me if i was smoking weed, and that's because a bunch of people blamed me so they wouldnt get in trouble. I said no, explained the situation, and he said I could get back on the bus.

Those people seem like d*cks.

Most of the experiences I have had with cops were good,and even my dad who hates most cops have admitted that there were good ones in many situations (I don't agree with him about there being a bad majority),but I cannot comprehend how people on the internet can deny that things like corruption exists,or they downplay it as being something that only happens once every 10 years. I wish I could believe that,but I'm not 10 anymore.....but at the same time,people who usually say this are usually people that aren't exactly in the target range of whatever the social matter is. What I mean by that is,if someone made the point of transgender people being targeted by many cops,it's not surprising if many of the demographic that says that most of these cases are fabricated....never experience being targeted,because they were not transgender. Same with things regarding minorities and/or gender. If that makes sense.

I bring that up since that seems to be the stance of half the people on the internet....but I am rambling now,so whatever.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that soldiers in war zones show greater impulse control than police.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that soldiers in war zones show greater impulse control than police.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Lunacyde  Moderator

Yeah especially those ones that urinate on the corpses of dead combatants...

But in all seriousness, you get bad apples in every group.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By MonsterStomp

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

Never heard of such disturbing news before. But I'm sure the military would have those people suspended or dishonourably discharged for their appalling actions. The military is extremely particular with their reputation. They can't afford the publicity. I find it hard to believe that soldiers piss on other peoples corpse, but I guess its possible.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Lunacyde  Moderator

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

Never heard of such disturbing news before. But I'm sure the military would have those people suspended or dishonourably discharged for their appalling actions. The military is extremely particular with their reputation. They can't afford the publicity. I find it hard to believe that soldiers piss on other peoples corpse, but I guess its possible.

Simply google U.S. Marines pissing on dead Taliban. I assure you it is real. I would post links, but this computer will not cut and paste onto comicvine for some reason.

Also you seem completely unaware of the massive problem the military is having with rape and sexual assault in it's ranks. It is egregious how widespread it is and how many soldiers have gotten away with it.

Once again this is not a majority of soldiers but a small group of them making them all look bad. It happens in any group.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By MonsterStomp

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

Simply google U.S. Marines pissing on dead Taliban. I assure you it is real. I would post links, but this computer will not cut and paste onto comicvine for some reason.

Also you seem completely unaware of the massive problem the military is having with rape and sexual assault in it's ranks. It is egregious how widespread it is and how many soldiers have gotten away with it.

Once again this is not a majority of soldiers but a small group of them making them all look bad. It happens in any group.

Well, to be fair, I'm in another country, so of course I'm a little unaware of what happens in the U.S Military.

But fair points.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

Well, to be fair, I'm in another country, so of course I'm a little unaware of what happens in the U.S Military.

But fair points.

..........Damn foreigners.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@monsterstomp said:

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

@lunacyde said:

@monsterstomp said:

But fair points.

I'm not defending anyone who does wrong, simply trying to give a more accurate and well-rounded viewpoint on the subject. There are always going to be a few bad apples in any group. This however does not mean that we shouldn't try to weed them out or punish them for wrong doing.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A medical examiner just ruled on Friday that Garner died from compression placed on his chest and neck from the choke hold applied to him and declared it a homicide.

The cop killed him.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme said:

A medical examiner just ruled on Friday that Garner died from compression placed on his chest and neck from the choke hold applied to him and declared it a homicide.

The cop killed him.

You should already know the answer that you'll get.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@wolverine08: @cameron83: at the date of the argument this is the information I had to go on. They found this out two days ago, I was unaware and stopped following the story. Here is the article I was referring to.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-new-york-man-put-in-police-choke-hold-dies-during-arrest/

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Deathstroker: Mainly because you said "I wanna know who all is one of those f*ck the police people so I can be mad at them" or something to that effect on the original thread, and I thought that was hilarious. Also, I thought you were talking about "f*ck the police" in that specific situation (the chokehold one), and not in general. Obviously no one seriously thinks the world would be better without police, and I never said anything to that effect, but you wanting to gang up everyone in this imaginary camp was just too cute to pass up.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: "Obviously no one seriously thinks the world would be better without police,"

Wrong. That's what the nut cases that say "F*ck the police" mean. Many people seriously think that.

And alright. You make yourself sound like a really nice dude. I wish there was more people out there like you, the world would be that much better.

spartankobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By spartankobe

*sighs*

Not every cop is a murderer who abuses his/her power.

Just like how not every warrior is a heartless killing machine, arrogant jerk, and/or "evil". Your opinion on a war does not reflect on what everyone else thinks. Nor do your feelings on the justification on the killing of other human beings represent what others think, nor does it mean you are right and everyone else that does what you don't agree with is wrong.

There will always be a couple cops and soldiers that abuse their power and act like completely arrogant jerks and make everyone else in their service look bad.

This has been happening ever since the police and armed forces of a country were made.

The reason you hear about it so much now is because of how fast news travels, and because as the population grows, the police force will have to get more members to police more people. This in turn leads to a higher chance of corrupt cops being hired.

You people need to stop acting paranoid.

lol

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: "Obviously no one seriously thinks the world would be better without police,"

Wrong. That's what the nut cases that say "F*ck the police" mean. Many people seriously think that.

And alright. You make yourself sound like a really nice dude. I wish there was more people out there like you, the world would be that much better.

those are the people who do things wrong and get caught. Same with people who chant "Free (insert name of dumbass friend who did something illegal and got caught)" Why should he go free? because he's your friend? Why "f*ck the police"? because they were the ones who caught your friend doing something bad?

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers