#1 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

So...what exactly are we supposed to be posting?

#3 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheBatman586:
Your thoughts on these vids and on the horror industry
#4 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

videos are kinda neat. very amateur, very raw. but i see the potential there.

If this is going to be comicvine's offical Horror Discussion thread then I welcome it. I love to talk about all things Horror.

I'm a huge fan of the 70's Exploitation and Shock Cinema (like Cannibal Holocaust, Caligula, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left and such.), I am also really into the 80's Slasher and Trash Cinema (like Friday the 13th and Street Trash respectively).

#5 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula:
Welcome! I'm a fan of Creature Features(such as Jaws, Aliens, and Predator), Hauntings(The Grudge series), Zombie Flicks(Dawn of the Dead), and Magical Monsters(Evil Dead/Army of Darkness)
#6 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been much of a gore type person they never really have any plot to them i like horror movie in general but its usually the demonic 
possession ones i watch because they actually scare me some

#7 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool said:
" @Caligula: Welcome! I'm a fan of Creature Features(such as Jaws, Aliens, and Predator), Hauntings(The Grudge series), Zombie Flicks(Dawn of the Dead), and Magical Monsters(Evil Dead/Army of Darkness) "
awesome i can dig some Zombies. I'm a Lucio Fulci fan.

@Sherlock said:
" Never been much of a gore type person they never really have any plot to them i like horror movie in general but its usually the demonic  possession ones i watch because they actually scare me some "

good none gory horror flicks are.

Grudge
the Last the Exorcism (only slightly Gory)
They Live
The House
Dark Knight of the Scarecrow
#8 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

I think now a days too many people associate Gore flicks with being a Horror movie.

#9 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
" I think now a days too many people associate Gore flicks with being a Horror movie. "
I like you

@Caligula:
Ever see 1408?
#10 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock: It's almost become a pet peeve of mine. Especially the stupid SAW movies.
#11 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:

@Caligula: Ever see 1408? "
yep. it was decent. I wasn't thrilled but, it entertained me for the length of it so that's what counts.

@Alurvelve said:
" I think now a days too many people associate Gore flicks with being a Horror movie. "

Gore can be Scary. if in the right hands. (i.e. Lucio Fulci and Sean S.Cunningham).

I like both sides of the Horror Spectrum, really suspenseful stuff, as well as the really violent stuff.
#12 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
" @Sherlock: It's almost become a pet peeve of mine. Especially the stupid SAW movies. "
First was good after a while though they just got old@Caligula said:
" @Sherlock said:

yep. it was decent. I wasn't thrilled but, it entertained me for the length of it so that's what counts.

@Alurvelve said:
Gore can be Scary. if in the right hands. (i.e. Lucio Fulci and Sean S.Cunningham).  I like both sides of the Horror Spectrum, really suspenseful stuff, as well as the really violent stuff. "
My thing is that most of the slasher one new friday the 13th one for instance have absolutely no plot at all just a lot of killing which doesnt interest me i dont mind gore but it has to have some sort of story to keep me interested and it help when i actually get scared which i can tell you takes some doing
#13 Posted by tensor (4631 posts) - - Show Bio

horror movie story an plots are weak these days its not the same lets hope the rite is good

#14 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:
" @Alurvelve said:
" @Sherlock: It's almost become a pet peeve of mine. Especially the stupid SAW movies. "
First was good after a while though they just got old@Caligula said:
" @Sherlock said:

@Alurvelve said:
Gore can be Scary. if in the right hands. (i.e. Lucio Fulci and Sean S.Cunningham).  I like both sides of the Horror Spectrum, really suspenseful stuff, as well as the really violent stuff. "
My thing is that most of the slasher one new friday the 13th one for instance have absolutely no plot at all just a lot of killing which doesnt interest me i dont mind gore but it has to have some sort of story to keep me interested and it help when i actually get scared which i can tell you takes some doing "
lol. i actually liked the new Friday the 13th film and all of the SAW movies. But I like smart Horror flicks too. I think both types have their place in the horror community.
#15 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more of a fan of psychological horror, rather than plain old blood-and-guts. I like it when, at the end of the movie, most of what happens is left open-ended, and the monster/entity isn't really shown, only vaguely defined. 
Movies like The Blair Witch Project or The Fourth Kind are good examples of this.

#16 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheBatman586 said:
" The Blair Witch Project"
I couldn't stand this movie. Went to the theater to see it too. Was severely disappointed. Best part imo was when the one dude mention how he kicked the map into the water, and did his little animation to show it.
#17 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@tensor said:
" horror movie story an plots are weak these days its not the same lets hope the rite is good "
i take it you haven't seen. Ponty Pool, Splice, Pig Hunt, or Trick r' Treat.
#18 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: I found Splice to be boring. Haven't seen the others you mentioned though.
#19 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheBatman586 said:
" I'm more of a fan of psychological horror, rather than plain old blood-and-guts. I like it when, at the end of the movie, most of what happens is left open-ended, and the monster/entity isn't really shown, only vaguely defined. Movies like The Blair Witch Project or The Fourth Kind are good examples of this. "
Blair Witch : Brilliant
Fourth Kind : Not so Much
#20 Edited by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:

" @Caligula: I found Splice to be boring. Haven't seen the others you mentioned though. "

you probably wouldn't like Pig Hunt, it is extremely violent and Gory. but it's a Dark Comedy done very well with a great soundtrack by Les Claypool. 

But I think you'd like Ponty Pool and Trick r' Treat alot based on your comments.
#21 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
" @Caligula: I found Splice to be boring. Haven't seen the others you mentioned though. "
Splice to me was kinda like an Aesops fable (Had a moral) 

Never mess with genetics and make a human whatever hybrid because it will grow up to be really horny and when you dont give it some it will kill you
#22 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: Give me a short run down of those two. I'll pick one of them up this weekend and watch it.
#23 Edited by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:

" @Caligula: Give me a short run down of those two. I'll pick one of them up this weekend and watch it. "

Ponty Pool takes place over the course of one night in one location, that location being a Radio Station. Where it's a Talk Radio Show, and the host is talking with residents of the town that seem to be under the attack of some kind of creatures or zombies. but you don't see much until the very end. most of it is built on suspense of listening to these frightened callers. very Orsen Wells-ish.

and Trick R' Treat is film about several different people's interlocking stories on a halloween night.
#24 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:
" @Alurvelve said:
Splice to me was kinda like an Aesops fable (Had a moral)   Never mess with genetics and make a human whatever hybrid because it will grow up to be really horny and when you dont give it some it will kill you "
lol. very crude but true.
#25 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19633 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched some of Trick r' Trick today, I liked what I saw!

#26 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Mercury said:
" I watched some of Trick r' Trick today, I liked what I saw! "
hell yeah. that movie was totally worth the wait. the Trailer came out way back when 300 was in theatres it was one of the Trailers. It was supposed to go to theatres, but never did. People who saw the trailer waited for years until it was finally released on DVD just last year in 2010.
#27 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19633 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: I remember that too, I wondered what happened to it. So far i'veseen it from the beginning to when the teenagers went to Quarry. 
#28 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Mercury said:
" @Caligula: I remember that too, I wondered what happened to it. So far i'veseen it from the beginning to when the teenagers went to Quarry.  "
yeah that's like the second story. they all connect if you watch all the way through, The main characters interact at some point in the night, it's like 9 degrees of Kevin Bacon only with Horror Protagonists/Antagonists.
#29 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19633 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula:  I picked up on that, the box robot wife bumped into the blonde Cinderella girl.
#30 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Mercury said:
" @Caligula:  I picked up on that, the box robot wife bumped into the blonde Cinderella girl. "
yep.
#31 Posted by tensor (4631 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: ponty pool what the hell is that yeah i have seen the rest but ponty pool that is the funniest movie name i heard in a while is it good by the way
#32 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19633 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Renee Zellweger

#33 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@tensor said:

" @Caligula: ponty pool what the hell is that yeah i have seen the rest but ponty pool that is the funniest movie name i heard in a while is it good by the way "

Ponty Pool takes place over the course of one night in one location, that location being a Radio Station. Where it's a Talk Radio Show, and the host is talking with residents of the town that seem to be under the attack of some kind of creatures or zombies. but you don't see much until the very end. most of it is built on suspense of listening to these frightened callers. very Orsen Wells-ish.  

It is Very Good.

@Mr. Mercury said:

" I liked the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Renee Zellweger "

that would be TCM4 or more commonly known as TCM: Next Generation. Matthew Mcconaughey was also in it.

Personally of all of the Texas sequels my favorite is 2. with Bill Moseley (Devil's Rejects) as Chop Top.
#34 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said: 

" Personally of all of the Texas sequels my favorite is 2. with Bill Moseley (Devil's Rejects) as Chop Top. "

The way he scratches his brainpan with that coat hanger will linger in my memory forever.    
#35 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Caligula said: 

" Personally of all of the Texas sequels my favorite is 2. with Bill Moseley (Devil's Rejects) as Chop Top. "

The way he scratches his brainpan with that coat hanger will linger in my memory forever.     "
yeah that, and his totally quote-able lines.
#36 Posted by King Saturn (224426 posts) - - Show Bio
1980's Horror Films were the Best IMO...
#37 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

This one goes out to all the Ash fans!! 

#38 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool said:
"

This one goes out to all the Ash fans!! 

"
Sam Raimi loves him some Bruce.
#39 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" 1980's Horror Films were the Best IMO... "
Not true Hitchcock wasnt making movies then.All of his were amazing especially for the time period
#40 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:
" @King Saturn said:
Not true Hitchcock wasnt making movies then.All of his were amazing especially for the time period "
im actually not a Hitchcock fan. Don't get me wrong i respect his works and they were brilliant for their era, but he just isn't my cup of tea
#41 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @Sherlock said:
" @King Saturn said:
Not true Hitchcock wasnt making movies then.All of his were amazing especially for the time period "
im actually not a Hitchcock fan. Don't get me wrong i respect his works and they were brilliant for their era, but he just isn't my cup of tea "
A lot of people now a days arent into them so i dont hold it against you im just very into the classics
#42 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:
" @Caligula said:
" @Sherlock said:
" @King Saturn said:
im actually not a Hitchcock fan. Don't get me wrong i respect his works and they were brilliant for their era, but he just isn't my cup of tea "
A lot of people now a days arent into them so i dont hold it against you im just very into the classics "
ah it's not that im not into the classics. im just more of a Universal Monsters guy, (i.e. Wolfman, Frankenstein, Dracula,... ect) Most of the ones with Boris Karloff, also really into the ones featuring Vincent Price.
#43 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw i see Hitchcock never had monsters in any of his lol 

I was very into the Dracula with Bela Lugosi i thought that was quite good

#44 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock said:
" Aw i see Hitchcock never had monsters in any of his lol   I was very into the Dracula with Bela Lugosi i thought that was quite good "
yeah Bela was amazing, i love anything he was in.
#45 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @Sherlock said:
" Aw i see Hitchcock never had monsters in any of his lol   I was very into the Dracula with Bela Lugosi i thought that was quite good "
yeah Bela was amazing, i love anything he was in. "
True dat!
This is a little off topic but did you see the Abbot and Cotello movie with Bela Lugosi as Dracula and Lon Chaney as the wolfman?
#46 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock: no. i haven't, but i did see Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein.
#47 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone hear about The Cabin in the Woods? It sounds intresting.

#48 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool said:
" Anyone hear about The Cabin in the Woods? It sounds intresting. "
yeah, i've been following it on UHM for a while.
#49 Posted by Sherlock (7273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @Sherlock: no. i haven't, but i did see Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein. "
Thats the one =)@Mr. Dead Pool said:
" Anyone hear about The Cabin in the Woods? It sounds intresting. "
No what is it?
#50 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sherlock:
It's a new take on the "cabin in the woods" formula. Old horror movie clichés with new twists.