Piracy Is Good

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for wildbobbycarter
Wildbobbycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wildbobbycarter

Unless you gets caught my friends pirated over 900 movies, 800 cds, 50 comics, and 700 novels. 

You don't haver to pay for anything and you're all set.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

Piracy is good, unless of course it's your property that is being pirated/stolen.

Think about this.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula
@PowerHerc said:

Piracy is good, unless of course it's your property that is being pirated/stolen.

Think about this.

Piracy is frustrating for artists. yes. But at the same time if someone is willing to risk Jail time to see or listen to your hard work, it's also a pretty big compliment. 

So it has the negative aspects of losing money.
but
the positive aspects, of getting widespread, and letting you know people want it.

like everything in life, it's not all evil nor is it all good. every single thing has ups and downs.

If you are a musician or a film maker or writer and you are complaining because someone is watching, reading or listening to your art. you are an fraud. If you truly care about the art form you are in then you don't really care about payment for it. what you care about is that it's out there being appreciated, being loved. Yes making money for doing something you enjoy is nice, but if it's your only driving factor, then guess what... your piece of art probably sucks and isn't worth money anyway, because you put no love into it you solely did it to pay your bills.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Caligula

I am neither Pro nor Anti Piracy. it is what it is.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By B'Town

Seriously. Piracy sucks.

Also, this thread has already been made. Old news & repeated topic my friend.

*shakes head walks out*

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_
@Caligula Why are loving doing something and wanting to be able to do it to pay your bills mutually exclusive? Isn't that pretty much everybodys dream?
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Caligula
@The Dark Huntress said:
@Caligula Why are loving doing something and wanting to be able to do it to pay your bills mutually exclusive? Isn't that pretty much everybodys dream?
it's not.

But if you are so concerned with the money that you alienate fans, say the way Metallica did there is obviously a problem. 

if you start a band, or movie, or book, or painting or anything that you love to do, with the intention of making money, the product turns out lack-luster. your first and foremost goal should be to have fun with it, and hoping others do as well.
SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmoothJammin

I take pleasure in buying my luxuries and knowing that I've earned them. Cutting corners is why the system is so broken

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Caligula

I'm one of the stone age guys that still buys CD's, hell I'm the dork that also buys Vinyls.

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Yep, but if you get caught you will be in this situation: 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

@Caligula said:

@PowerHerc said:

Think about this.

Piracy is frustrating for artists. yes. But at the same time if someone is willing to risk Jail time to see or listen to your hard work, it's also a pretty big compliment. So it has the negative aspects of losing money. but the positive aspects, of getting widespread, and letting you know people want it. like everything in life, it's not all evil nor is it all good. every single thing has ups and downs. If you are a musician or a film maker or writer and you are complaining because someone is watching, reading or listening to your art. you are an fraud. If you truly care about the art form you are in then you don't really care about payment for it. what you care about is that it's out there being appreciated, being loved. Yes making money for doing something you enjoy is nice, but if it's your only driving factor, then guess what... your piece of art probably sucks and isn't worth money anyway, because you put no love into it you solely did it to pay your bills.

Well, since you put it that way; Take anything of mine that you want! I'm flattered you like it. I'm even more flattered that you're willing to risk jail time. Wow! What a compliment!

-Sarcasm-

I'm not talking about good and evil, here. I'm talking about right and wrong. Taking something that isn't yours without paying/earning/compensating for it is wrong. This is a basic tenet of civilization. Rationalize and justify all you want, piracy is wrong and I bet you wouldn't want your stuff stolen, either.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Piracy is good? Is this why you made that 'FBI should be disbanded' thread?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Caligula
@PowerHerc said:

@Caligula said:

@PowerHerc said:

Think about this.

Piracy is frustrating for artists. yes. But at the same time if someone is willing to risk Jail time to see or listen to your hard work, it's also a pretty big compliment. So it has the negative aspects of losing money. but the positive aspects, of getting widespread, and letting you know people want it. like everything in life, it's not all evil nor is it all good. every single thing has ups and downs. If you are a musician or a film maker or writer and you are complaining because someone is watching, reading or listening to your art. you are an fraud. If you truly care about the art form you are in then you don't really care about payment for it. what you care about is that it's out there being appreciated, being loved. Yes making money for doing something you enjoy is nice, but if it's your only driving factor, then guess what... your piece of art probably sucks and isn't worth money anyway, because you put no love into it you solely did it to pay your bills.

Well, since you put it that way; Take anything of mine that you want! I'm flattered you like it. I'm even more flattered that you're willing to risk jail time. Wow! What a compliment!

-Sarcasm-

I'm not talking about good and evil, here. I'm talking about right and wrong. Taking something that isn't yours without paying/earning/compensating for it is wrong. This is a basic tenet of civilization. Rationalize and justify all you want, piracy is wrong and I bet you wouldn't want your stuff stolen, either.

I agree with you. That's why I don't pirate anything, because I wouldn't want it done to me. I'm a golden rule kind of guy. But I'm simply saying that it's not a one sided issue. There are positives and negatives on both sides of the Pro and Anti Piracy movements. And both sides have valid propositions.
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Green Skin

Piracy is good for the individual,but bad for the industry.   Lets face it money makes the world go round, and if the comic/'movie/ etc doesn't do well in sales then there is a good chance that the title will be cancelled or the movie won't get a sequel.

Don't be a lazy ass, if you want something get a job and pay for it like everyone else.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caligula
@Green Skin said:
Piracy is good for the individual,but bad for the industry.   Lets face it money makes the world go round, and if the comic/'movie/ etc doesn't do well in sales then there is a good chance that the title will be cancelled or the movie won't get a sequel.  Don't be a lazy ass, if you want something get a job and pay for it like everyone else.
or more artists could do like radiohead, and let fans pay what the feel the product is worth. Of course some will say it's worth nothing and take it for free, but others will pay, and some will even pay more than necessary being a supporter of the band.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By B'Town

@Green Skin said:

Piracy is good for the individual,but bad for the industry. Lets face it money makes the world go round, and if the comic/'movie/ etc doesn't do well in sales then there is a good chance that the title will be cancelled or the movie won't get a sequel. Don't be a lazy ass, if you want something get a job and pay for it like everyone else.

I'm now following you based solely on this comment. :D QFT

edit to add: I have also been UNfollowing everyone who supports piracy ever since Babs article. I don't want thieves for friends.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By danhimself

I'm still hoping that I'll get to see a time when the people of earth unite and get rid of monetary value and do things just for the sake of bettering mankind....like on Star Trek :)

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Green Skin
@B'Town said:

@Green Skin said:

Piracy is good for the individual,but bad for the industry. Lets face it money makes the world go round, and if the comic/'movie/ etc doesn't do well in sales then there is a good chance that the title will be cancelled or the movie won't get a sequel. Don't be a lazy ass, if you want something get a job and pay for it like everyone else.

I'm now following you based solely on this comment. :D QFT

edit to add: I have also been UNfollowing everyone who supports piracy ever since Babs article. I don't want thieves for friends.

Awesome!  Glad you agree.

@Caligula said:
@Green Skin said:
Piracy is good for the individual,but bad for the industry.   Lets face it money makes the world go round, and if the comic/'movie/ etc doesn't do well in sales then there is a good chance that the title will be cancelled or the movie won't get a sequel.  Don't be a lazy ass, if you want something get a job and pay for it like everyone else.
or more artists could do like radiohead, and let fans pay what the feel the product is worth. Of course some will say it's worth nothing and take it for free, but others will pay, and some will even pay more than necessary being a supporter of the band.
That's one way to do it, but notice that they didn't repeat that with the album that came after.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By B'Town

@Caligula said:

@Green Skin said:

It would be nice if your employer payed you what he/she thinks you're worth, see if that pays your rent. Hahaha.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Caligula
@danhimself said:

I'm still hoping that I'll get to see a time when the people of earth unite and get rid of monetary value and do things just for the sake of bettering mankind....like on Star Trek :)

I'm with you.  

@Caligula

said:
@Green Skin said:
That's one way to do it, but notice that they didn't repeat that with the album that came after.
True. But I wonder if it was they or the studio that decided not to.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Caligula
@B'Town said:

@Caligula said:

@Green Skin said:

It would be nice if your employer payed you what he/she thinks you're worth, see if that pays your rent. Hahaha.

I work as bouncer in a bar, and am payed 14 dollars an hour. I just started the job back in March at 9 dollars an hour. I never asked for a raise, she just gave the raises to me. There have been considerably less fights and less cops called since I began bouncing. so obviously she thinks im worth paying that much.

(not trying to toot my own horn, like a butthole).

I think you would only have to worry if you don't do a good job. But I see your point.
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

seriously?
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points