• 190 results
#1 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been a lot of family photos and words used to describe him and what he was wearing. We all are aware of the fact that he was wearing a "hoodie". No matter what he was wearing, it is wrong to profile someone, and act upon assumptions. But even when I thought of the word "hoodie", I associate an entire look with that word. But this isn't what I was expecting. *Warning* the photo is slightly graphic.

So that's the "hoodie" guy? I was expecting an extremely baggy black or gray hoodie, maybe along with baggie jeans. But this? That's more like a sweatshirt. Oh and notice the skinny jeans which are folded at the ankles, along with the nice looking shoes tied and tucked in....

My point is, why did Zimmerman find THIS guy suspicious? That's the first thing i'll be thinking if I was a juror and was showed this picture (which they were). It's one thing to say, okay he was wearing baggy jeans, a baggie hoodie, and out late. Maybe he was up to something. Even though that's horrible as well and even though police instructions told him NOT to pursue this person. But this is me being extremely charitable. If he had on those things, that's one thing. But having on a somewhat fitted blue sweatshirt, with light brown skinny jeans (khakis?) folded at the ankles, along with nice white shoes is something ENTIRELY different. He's dressing better than I do half of the time.

So my question to you is, why did George Zimmerman find this well dressed man suspicious? My follow up question to that is: If Trayvon were white, but had on the same exact outfit, would Zimmerman have found him to be suspicious? Would he have even gave him a second glance if he saw that his skin were white? Food for thought.

What truly saddens me about this is, based on how he looks, what happened to Trayvon could've happened to ANY african american child that night. And it's unsettling that the man who is responsible for this was found to be not guilty. That's sad, and extremely depressing. And i'm afraid that a precedent has been set for any monster who would love to follow in Zimmerman's footsteps. At the moment, if you are a black, 17 year old, sophomore/ junior, high school kid in America, you are not safe. You are never safe.

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Another post making this issue about race. Sigh...

#3 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

As it should be. Ignorance is inexcusable. This issue definitely was about race.

#4 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

As it should be. Ignorance is inexcusable. This issue definitely was about race.

Except it wasn't.

#5 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@novi_homines said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Except it wasn't.

You are Blind and or Ignorant. It still is a race issue.

#6 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@novi_homines said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Except it wasn't.

Really? Interesting. So please then, explain to me why zimmerman found trayvon to be suspicious in the first place.

#7 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism is STILL AN ISSUE people. The quicker we come to this conclusion, the faster we can progress and move forward. Sweeping it under the rug and implying its not is only making things worse.

#8 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

That picture is really, really inappropriate. -_-

#9 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@novi_homines said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Except it wasn't.

Really? Interesting. So please then, explain to me why zimmerman found trayvon to be suspicious in the first place.

Are you telling me you have no clue about this case? You trolling son?

#10 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:
@novi_homines said:

@bogey said:

@novi_homines said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Except it wasn't.

I'm telling you that you saying that it's not about race, is completely blasphemous.

#11 Edited by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:
@novi_homines said:

@bogey said:

@novi_homines said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Except it wasn't.

I'm telling you that you saying that it's not about race, is completely blasphemous.

So the racism in Zimmerman's heart compelled him to help a homeless black man who was attacked by a white police officer and volunteer his time to tutor black children?

#12 Edited by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Edited by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

I must agree.

#16 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: The prosecution brought up no evidence of this being race involved. It's just your opinion, which you have no evidence to support.

#17 Posted by pooty (11156 posts) - - Show Bio

When blacks only care about injustice done to other blacks, that is racism also. Didn't see even one black person marching for Kasey Anthony daughter.

#18 Posted by Juke (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Why am I here..

#19 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at dumb ass negroes talking about this, yet don't give a damn whenever they destroy their own. And you expect the white man to respect your ass? You don't love yourself!!!!!

Spoken like a true Caucasian, well done sir, you're a true credit to your race.

#20 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people just don't know how to move on. It's over, he's not guilty. Deal with it.

#21 Edited by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a topic that is going to stay heated for quite awhile.

#22 Posted by Nefarious (20364 posts) - - Show Bio

George Zimmerman is not a racist.

#23 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

The attention this petty case is receiving and how it somehow involves racism is ridiculous.

#25 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja: I'm black, and I question, if you're white, whether or not you are a liberal white guilter who aids the average negro his quest for victimhood.

#26 Posted by Dud317 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Well I wouldn't call him racist, jointron33 is just entitled to his honest opinion.

@cyberninja: I'm black, and I question, if you're white, whether or not you are a liberal white guilter who aids the average negro his quest for victimhood.

Riiiiiiiight, if you say so Uncle Ruckus.

#28 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Pyrogram (38459 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is race being brought into it?

#30 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I must agree.

I will take it down.

#31 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

Thanks -- I really appreciate it. I just -- I mean, I didn't have to hit the spoiler tag but I if that were my brother, son, friend, it would be devastating to me. I get your point about why, but yeah, it was kind of heartbreaking. :(

#32 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@novi_homines:

Thanks -- I really appreciate it. I just -- I mean, I didn't have to hit the spoiler tag but I if that were my brother, son, friend, it would be devastating to me. I get your point about why, but yeah, it was kind of heartbreaking. :(

I know. It was. Alot of people make up images about how he might've looked that night, but its more profound to actually see him there, at the scene. One of the reasons why I thought it was necessary for people to see it.

#33 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

My country tis of thee.

#34 Edited by Dernman (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

What people are saying in these threads.

1 Against the verdict: This is racism. You're Blind and or Ignorant because you don't agree.

For the verdict: This is not racism. You're Delusional and Ignorant because you don't agree.

2 One person does say something racist

Another person responds against and actually thinks what he said isn't just as stupid.

3 You know what forget it. This is a fools trap.

#35 Posted by nick_hero22 (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@novi_homines: The prosecution brought up no evidence of this being race involved. It's just your opinion, which you have no evidence to support.

#36 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue is not as black and white as people think it to be....

#38 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

He did look pretty clean cut and as for the "hoodie", there was nothing in its design which lent to the impression it was bulky and identity-hiding. To me, Trayvon in no way looked like someone who could appear menacing -- if anything, based on what I have seen of Zimmerman, the older gentleman appears much more huskier and stronger.

So yeah, seeing the image did serve a purpose - from his shoes to sweater, there was nothing to suggest he was thug-like in appearance. Actually, he looks like a young kid. Heartbreaking.

#39 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24869 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

#40 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@novi_homines:

He did look pretty clean cut and as for the "hoodie", there was nothing in its design which lent to the impression it was bulky and identity-hiding. To me, Trayvon in no way looked like someone who could appear menacing -- if anything, based on what I have seen of Zimmerman, the older gentleman appears much more huskier and stronger.

So yeah, seeing the image did serve a purpose - from his shoes to sweater, there was nothing to suggest he was thug-like in appearance. Actually, he looks like a young kid. Heartbreaking.

Thank you.

#41 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

As an outsider looking in it seems your Justice System is well F*cK*d.

#42 Posted by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

When blacks only care about injustice done to other blacks, that is racism also. Didn't see even one black person marching for Kasey Anthony daughter.

Isn't the mom in jail?

#43 Edited by WillPayton (9455 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been a lot of family photos and words used to describe him and what he was wearing. We all are aware of the fact that he was wearing a "hoodie". No matter what he was wearing, it is wrong to profile someone, and act upon assumptions. But even when I thought of the word "hoodie", I associate an entire look with that word. But this isn't what I was expecting. *Warning* the photo is slightly graphic.

So that's the "hoodie" guy? I was expecting an extremely baggy black or gray hoodie, maybe along with baggie jeans. But this? That's more like a sweatshirt. Oh and notice the skinny jeans which are folded at the ankles, along with the nice looking shoes tied and tucked in....

My point is, why did Zimmerman find THIS guy suspicious? That's the first thing i'll be thinking if I was a juror and was showed this picture (which they were). It's one thing to say, okay he was wearing baggy jeans, a baggie hoodie, and out late. Maybe he was up to something. Even though that's horrible as well and even though police instructions told him NOT to pursue this person. But this is me being extremely charitable. If he had on those things, that's one thing. But having on a somewhat fitted blue sweatshirt, with light brown skinny jeans (khakis?) folded at the ankles, along with nice white shoes is something ENTIRELY different. He's dressing better than I do half of the time.

So my question to you is, why did George Zimmerman find this well dressed man suspicious? My follow up question to that is: If Trayvon were white, but had on the same exact outfit, would Zimmerman have found him to be suspicious? Would he have even gave him a second glance if he saw that his skin were white? Food for thought.

What truly saddens me about this is, based on how he looks, what happened to Trayvon could've happened to ANY african american child that night. And it's unsettling that the man who is responsible for this was found to be not guilty. That's sad, and extremely depressing. And i'm afraid that a precedent has been set for any monster who would love to follow in Zimmerman's footsteps. At the moment, if you are a black, 17 year old, sophomore/ junior, high school kid in America, you are not safe. You are never safe.

This case has nothing to do with race, only the media hype and people like you make it about race.

He was wearing pants and a hoodie... how is that "well dressed"? Also, why would someone being well dressed matter as to whether they're suspicious or not? Zimmerman said that it was the actions of Martin and the context that made him suspicious.

How exactly can you look at a dead body and tell if that person was threatening someone else or not? Do you have special mental, psychic, or time travel powers that allow you to see into the past? I have seen plenty of dead people, wearing suits, that dont look threatening at all. Many of them were mob members, hitmen, drug dealers, etc.

#44 Posted by WillPayton (9455 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@novi_homines:

Thank you.

Should we all start posting photos of dead people and play the "Guess what they did by looking at their clothing" game?

You didnt think through this thread before you started it, did you?

Posting photos or videos showing graphic images of dead people is grounds for the thread to get locked.

#45 Posted by pooty (11156 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

Isn't the mom in jail?

No. she was found not guilty and is chilling somewhere. She hasn't said a thing about trying to find the real killer of her daughter.

#46 Edited by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone who's saying its not about race ever been negatively racially profiled?

This is an honest question.

To be fair, no one actually knows if it was definitively about race. We simply say it was because in American society it is more likely than not. Since most people are simply regurgitating what others have said, I hope someone already posted this somewhere on comicvine: (The show What Would You Do)

http://www.upworthy.com/know-anyone-that-thinks-racial-profiling-is-exaggerated-watch-this-and-tell-me-when-your-jaw-drops-2?g=2

Obviously this isn't a representative sample of everywhere in the US, but lets be real, this is the race-related perceptual reality, both conscious and subconscious, that no one wants to admit.

#47 Posted by TheThe (1733 posts) - - Show Bio

The picture is inappropriate, but considering the "hoodie" and the "look"/"attitude" of Trayvon Martin were a big part of the history, it's not a big surprise that they showed how he was dressed.

#48 Posted by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio

@nefarious said:

George Zimmerman is not a racist.

His tweets prove you wrong.

#49 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer said:

Has anyone who's saying its not about race ever been negatively racially profiled?

This is an honest question.

To be fair, no one actually knows if it was definitively about race. We simply say it was because in American society it is more likely than not. Since most people are simply regurgitating what others have said, I hope someone already posted this somewhere on comicvine: (The show What Would You Do)

http://www.upworthy.com/know-anyone-that-thinks-racial-profiling-is-exaggerated-watch-this-and-tell-me-when-your-jaw-drops-2?g=2

Obviously this isn't a representative sample of everywhere in the US, but lets be real, this is the race-related perceptual reality, both conscious and subconscious, that no one wants to admit.

That's a very scary.... and valid point.