#1 Posted by Death Certificate (5408 posts) - - Show Bio
PETA slams Mario over use of a fur suit
By Ben Silverman
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals might be barking up the wrong mushroom.
On Monday, the controversial organization issued a press release attacking iconic Nintendo mascot Mario for wearing a 'Tanooki' suit in his latest adventure, the Nintendo 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, which hit shelves on Sunday.
"Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," PETA says.
The raccoon-like suit, which grants Mario the ability to glide across the screen, has been a part of the franchise since first appearing as a power-up in 1988's Super Mario Bros. 3. In the new game, Mario acquires the suit not by doing something lousy to a Tanooki, but by snagging a Super Leaf.
Still, PETA insists this encourages animal abuse.
"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."
To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned a crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)
It's just the latest in a long line of PETA game complaints. In 2008 they went after Cooking Mama for not being a vegetarian, while just last year they parodied challenging downloadable platform hit Super Meat Boy for starring a piece of raw meat.
Nintendo has yet to comment, though we're pretty sure it will sound like a hand slapping a forehead.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...211025773.html

LOL

#2 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11944 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a great idea for PETA.

They should start helping animals.

And not complaining about a fur suit that is made of polygons.

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147037 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah because the first thing all kids want after playing that game is a fur.

#4 Posted by TheBatman586 (6302 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by King Saturn (225101 posts) - - Show Bio
PETA is Flat Garbage
#6 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time I read this kind of news I find myself syphatizing with people like Cain.

It's the boon and the curse of the digital age, everyone is entiteld to share his/hers opinion, unfortunatly lots of people mistake thi for the opportunity to clog up other human beings with bullshit.

As we all know, PETA has a list of past complains that is probably longer than the Route 66, some are understandable, others legitimate and then there's this. I mean, after such an article the next logical step is sueing any company who produces full-body animal pajamas. After all kids might decide that wearing animal is fun.

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

PETA is stupid.

#8 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:

Yeah because the first thing all kids want after playing that game is a fur.

This.
#9 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13122 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheSheepHerder said:

Yup.
#10 Posted by Samimista (21019 posts) - - Show Bio

This is dumb.

#11 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (26883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

This is dumb.

Really

#12 Posted by ARMIV2 (8847 posts) - - Show Bio

Where were they when this happened?

PETA is f--king useless.

#13 Posted by MrDirector786 (43644 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSheepHerder said:

#14 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1838 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

PETA is stupid.

#15 Posted by SuperTide (15578 posts) - - Show Bio

I think PETA means well but they take it way too far sometimes. I mean killing pigs for meat is like the Holocaust.Or eating a deer you've killed is the same as eating a person.They make it hard to take them seriously.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, well now.....this is the dumbest thing I've heard today

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh....wait. this wasn't serious......LOL, we've all been had

#18 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

80% of the animals thta PETA claims have saved, actually they have "send them to sleep".

PETA pays for terrorist groups to attack people, Mario have never killed anyone becuase in his universe like in the Marvel and DC there is jusch thing as death, if you notice it explains why everybody dies in aone game and you see them in the next one.

Mario need to jump in the head of every PETA members.

#19 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: true, but the ALF is like terrorist minor leagues at best.

Whether this is a true or not I've seen PETA step out for idiotic things before, like when they wanted to rename the Tenderloin district in San Francisco.

#20 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom: When they have said that medecine should stop being tested in animal, but one of his founder members have a cow heart inside of her chest.

I mean the founder of Greenpeace decide to leave Greenpeace, and always says that PETA and Greenpeace are a bunch of ecofacist.

#21 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: I'm all for protecting the Earth and animals, but some groups take it to far.

#22 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19639 posts) - - Show Bio

PETA is a joke.

#23 Posted by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

In related news: In a board room Nintendo executives to tip back whine bottles in silent

thanks for the free media advertising PETA has graciously given their Mario 3D video game,

enough that it actually receives more air time then the actual paid for ads. So on behalf of

Nintendo, the fans and players, Mario, and everyone buying a Tanooki suit for their toddler

this Christmas, thank you PETA! ;)

#25 Posted by MrDirector786 (43644 posts) - - Show Bio