#1 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been on my mine for awhile and it's bothering me since I saw the movie on March. In case you're not familiar with the story, I'll briefly explain it to you.The story is about a government who put kids to fight to the death and it's basically a game. The kids are forced to play in it. There was this one scene where Katniss,our protagonist was about to be killed by one of the by one of the other kids during the games.Her name was Clove.As Katniss was about to be killed by Clove, a big dude comes in and snaps Clove's neck and saves Katniss. At that moment, people at the movie theater were actually cheering and clapping for the death of one of the kids.People were actually cheering the death of kids?Does anybody see anything wrong with that?Everybody who was in the game is a victim.It kinda annoyed me and it puts me off from movie theaters for some time.

#2 Edited by VictorGrey (13465 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by JediXMan (30706 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen the movie yet, but by any chance was that kid annoying? I've seen people cheer at that on occasion. I don't, but I've seen it. Some probably just go to see kids get chopped up. I want to see it because it sounds like a rather interestingly dark tale.

#5 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: normal day in texas

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Clove wasn't a victim. She volunteered after years of training because she was coo coo ca choo.

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

Clove was a murderous, psychotic b!tch who ENJOYED the Games because it gave her a socially acceptable outlet to kill people. The viewers saw this and viewed her as a villainous human being, hence the cheer at her death, especially when it was a vengeancey death.

#8 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but by any chance was that kid annoying? I've seen people cheer at that on occasion. I don't, but I've seen it. Some probably just go to see kids get chopped up. I want to see it because it sounds like a rather interestingly dark tale.

Clove wasn't annoying but she's ruthless. @NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Clove wasn't a victim. She volunteered after years of training because she was coo coo ca choo.

You can say she had less reasons to kill because she volunteered but she's been taught her whole life that she must enter the games.

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

You can say she had less reasons to kill because she volunteered but she's been taught her whole life that she must enter the games.

It would be one thing if she entered and did what she had to do to survive, just as everybody else did. The thing that painted Clove in such a villainous lights in the books and a bit in the movie as well was that she wasn't doing this just because she had to. She enjoyed killing and took pleasure and satisfaction in it.

#10 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700:

Doesn't matter. In the end she did what she did for personal gain and cruelty and got what she deserved. For what it's worth, I was sad when the blonde chick died. But only because of how pretty she was.

#11 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing kids, even if they're demented kids, should always be sad. People don't take movies seriously but they're supposed to be like books, doorways to our psyche, to illuminate the human experience in new and inventive or creative ways. Killing kids shouldn't make people cheer. It doesn't matter if the kid's crazy. It's still sad to think she grew up in such a demented fashion, and her life had to be terminated rather than rehabilitated or at least contained. I don't think children should ever be given the death penalty; they're so impressionable, they're probably the only people that CAN change their ways.

#12 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

It would be one thing if she entered and did what she had to do to survive, just as everybody else did. The thing that painted Clove in such a villainous lights in the books and a bit in the movie as well was that she wasn't doing this just because she had to. She enjoyed killing and took pleasure and satisfaction in it.

If you were a 1st grade teacher and you ask the kids who wants to be in the hunger games.and if you get a bunch of hands raised, you should probably be thinking what have the parents been teaching them.Clove may have been painted in villainous rights but it was because the capital encouraged her to be that way.

#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

If you were a 1st grade teacher and you ask the kids who wants to be in the hunger games.and if you get a bunch of hands raised, you should probably be thinking what have the parents been teaching them.Clove may have been painted in villainous rights but it was because the capital encouraged her to be that way.

You're missing my point, I think.

The thing that put her apart from the other Careers (the kids who had been trained their whole lives for this sole purpose), aside from Cato who was even more psychotic than Clove, is the fact that she took PLEASURE from killing, she outright enjoyed it.

She was trained to survive and trained to kill, yes, but she was not trained to enjoy killing. Do you see the point that I'm trying to make here? The Capitol never encouraged her to revel in it.

#14 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

You're missing my point, I think.

The thing that put her apart from the other Careers (the kids who had been trained their whole lives for this sole purpose), aside from Cato who was even more psychotic than Clove, is the fact that she took PLEASURE from killing, she outright enjoyed it.

She was trained to survive and trained to kill, yes, but she was not trained to enjoy killing. Do you see the point that I'm trying to make here? The Capitol never encouraged her to revel in it.

All this.

The fact that they were cheering just shows the success of the film portrayal. The premise was "only ONE can survive." Who is going to side with the mean, psychotic, sociopath, brutal, rich, killer girl that doesn't show one iota of a personality asides from being said "psychopath, sociopath..." etc.

@moywar700 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@moywar700 said:

Those are 6 years olds, not older teenagers who have more developed brains and thoughts and opinions.

The concept itself is horrendous, yes, but in the context it was her or Katniss.

#15 Posted by Enemybird (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it sucked...

#16 Posted by nickthedevil (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enemybird said:

I thought it sucked...

AGREED

#17 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enemybird said:

I thought it sucked...

It's too cliche.

#18 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio

Were they cheering for Cloves' death, or the fact Katniss escaped almost certain death?

#19 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

There's much more to the story than just watching kids kill each other. The entire Hunger Games trilogy revolves around how horrific and inhumane the Games are, and how the children in the games are just helpless pawns forced to do the bidding of a corrupt and sadistic government.

#20 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

If you look at it in the context of the film/books and you realize that the story itself is about a killing game/sport in the future and there are sides to choose from people are naturally going to look at it in that way. not to mention the people who follow the story have built a relationship with the characters and I'm sure through the books and movie the character who died had become a evil and unliked character (kid or not, villains are villiains)

I think maybe you are looking to deeply into this but I can see how it could be seen as awkward (the cheering).

#21 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@(((Prodigy))) said:

There's much more to the story than just watching kids kill each other. The entire Hunger Games trilogy revolves around how horrific and inhumane the Games are, and how the children in the games are just helpless pawns forced to do the bidding of a corrupt and sadistic government.

So.................pretty much reality, except the kids are grown in reality. XD

#22 Posted by CaptainDoeo (789 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: What? I agree on stories being gateways to our psyche and what not, but are you saying that death isn't a tool for a story? Clove's death was used as a sort of "you get what you deserve" symbol. The writer didn't chose children because she got pleasure from writing about children killing each other, it was a giant symbol. (Of lots of things.) Death, is a part of many stories. You should open any element to a story. Morality has it's place in real life, not in a good book, movie, internet, etc etc.

@moywar700: You still have to see what she means, whether or not her mental health problems were caused by a group of people or not..They were still there. She was one of the antagonist. The crowd wasn't cheering because she was a young girl that died, they were cheering because she was a dead antagonist.

#23 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaptainDoeo: Morality, in my opinion, has a place everywhere, or else it's selective and thus null and void. It's like the law. It's not selective, it's there, and it applies (unless corrupt officials come into play, then we're all screwed).

Granted I agree death is a common thing in books and movies, I don't think child death should be applauded though, no matter what. It IS different from adults dying, and the entire theme of the movie/books of the hunger games involves children dying, which can be a powerful message, but not one we should cheer at, one we should be contemplative about.

#24 Posted by xmenfallen (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

FOR ME i think its normal that people react that way.. its a movie and Katniss the protagonist is about to get killed by Clove the antagonist .. so people are going to side for Katniss cuz she is the protagonist.. and people want her to win... think of it this way where the killer in a movie is about to kill the main character then another character shots the killer.. then the whole audience applause and cheer

BY THE WAY BIG FAN OF THE BOOKS AND FILMS

#25 Posted by The Stegman (24640 posts) - - Show Bio

I know i cheered when she was killed, being a ruthless killer, I could deal with, being a sociopath, no problem..but she was just so damn smug about it. That was just uncalled for.

#26 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have killed each other in the end. I went to see the film and frankly, I should have just set fire to the fourteen bucks it cost for us to see it at the theater...

#27 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of scaring me just thinking about it actually...

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid writing, stupid premise.

#29 Posted by _Blade_Master_ (108 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: That's not the point, People cheered because they were in suspense and something good happened. That's the grand scheme of it all.

#30 Posted by Strider92 (16607 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: I haven't seen it so I can't really judge but was this kid a complete and utter son of a b****? That might be why.

For example I don't know if you've seen Game Of Thrones but theres a kid in that called Joffery and he deserves to be killed off in the worst way possible and I would never normally say that about a child character.

#31 Posted by CaptainDoeo (789 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: If you refer to my other reply to...I don't even remember her username and I'm far to lazy to go look at it, but in that reply I explained "The crowd wasn't cheering because she was a dead child, they were cheering because she was dead antagonist. Anyway, I understand what you're saying.

#32 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

For example I don't know if you've seen Game Of Thrones but there's a kid in that called Joffery and he deserves to be killed off in the worst way possible and I would never normally say that about a child character.

Read A Storm of Swords, mate... You gonna like it! ;)

#33 Posted by Inverno (13246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@moywar700: I haven't seen it so I can't really judge but was this kid a complete and utter son of a b****? That might be why.

For example I don't know if you've seen Game Of Thrones but theres a kid in that called Joffery and he deserves to be killed off in the worst way possible and I would never normally say that about a child character.

Joffrey is a complete monster that deserves to die a very slow, painful death for every atrocity he commited. OTOH the Tributes fight to the death for their survival, some are mentally unhinged yes but they were forced to be like this by the Capitol, its not their fault.

#34 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a good life lesson. Life is a cold, uncaring experience, and is something that can be arbitrarily taken from you without notice or apparent reason. Youth is no defense against this, and neither is skill.

#35 Posted by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you not cheer at things like this

#36 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker said:

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS BANGING!!!!!!!! I NEED A NAME!!!!!!!!

#37 Posted by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@slacker the hacker said:

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS BANGING!!!!!!!! I NEED A NAME!!!!!!!!

Baccano! English Dub

#38 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Battle Royale