Pacific rim snubbed for a Visual Effects at oscar.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

, the nominations for the 86th Academy Awards came out, and there was one huge snub that genre fans should be pissed about. Pacific Rim, the one movie with the most impressive visual effects since ILM brought dinosaurs back to life in Jurassic Park, was snubbed by not receiving a visual effects nomination. In its place is The Long Ranger. Yea.

Here are the nominees:

Achievement in visual effects

• “Gravity” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould
  • “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds
  • “Iron Man 3” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick
  • “The Lone Ranger” Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams and John Frazier“Star Trek Into Darkness” Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton

WTF..? NOT even at least man of steel is in here.. ?

Personally, the fact that The Lone Ranger took a nomination for visual effects over Pacific Rim makes me want to jaeger-smash"

I...I don't understand. Pacific Rim should be on there. Seven hells, Pacific Rim should be on there MULTIPLE TIMES, because even if you think giant robot movies aren't as fascinating as Serious Movies, you can't deny that Del Torro did a phenomenal job as a director. And where is Idris Elba's Best Supporting Actor nomination? And the MUSIC?

And as you say, at the very, minimal least, they should be up there for visual effects. Because nobody for one second believed that Johnny Dep *insert anything over the top that Depp does* but everyone believed that a giant monster was crushing the Golden Gate Bridge.

HELL. NOT EVEN COSTUME DESIGN?! When they manage to create complete characters with depth and history just by the things they gave them to wear?

Aw, this is bull, man.

Here’s the Lone Ranger reel that ILM put together. The Academy thought this was more impressive than Pacific Rim:

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

That's pretty dumb.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

gravity would have won anyways,

but MoS and Pacific Rim were snubbed - yes.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Pacific Rim should not only have been nominated, but won. Just my 2.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

The only nom. Pacific Rim deserves is one for VFX. Gravity's got the win for this in the bag, though.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: So they will just pretend mos and pacific rim didn't exists,?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@fallschirmjager: So they will just pretend mos and pacific rim didn't exists,?

I said they got snubbed. They deserved to be nominated.

I'm just saying, neither would have won.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe this.. crap. it feels like mos and pacific rim are sabotaged here.. especially pacific rim some one is trying to put the movie down.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

MoS and pacific rim should have been nominated

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chibi_cute

@the_tree said:

The only nom. Pacific Rim deserves is one for VFX. Gravity's got the win for this in the bag, though.

thats debatable.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@granitesoldier said:

I can't believe this.. crap. it feels like mos and pacific rim are sabotaged here.. especially pacific rim some one is trying to put the movie down.

Forgot about MoS, that should have been nominated as well. I feel the academy snubs monsters and superheroes, it isn't "artsy" enough for their tastes. It's how they justify what they do as important I guess.

Who knows, I'm just a lowly commoner.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Dude it's the Academy, what'd you expect :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Because of my big hate towards Pacific Rim I don't want it to win any awards. But I do agree that it deserved being nom.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By SaintWildcard

Old people are scared of Giant Robots, but they love westerns.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It might depend on how they judge these things. Lone Ranger may have gotten it because it's a mix of live-action stunts and greenscreen, while all the visual-effects stuff in Pacific Rim was all in computers, which means the panel will have been old fashioned, but no surprise there.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Gravity has it in the bag. But I feel Iron man 3 and The Lone Ranger should be replaced with Pacific Rim and MOS. It's literally meaningless to be honest. Not one film in the Dollars Trilogy was nominated for an Oscar, despite being [in my opinion] some of the best films ever made. In my opinion the Hunt has been snubbed too. I prefer Cannes. Don' dwell too much on it, you'll get pi**ed off.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Strider1992

@rogueshadow: Lone Ranger replaced with Pacific Rim definitely should have happened but MoS's visuals weren't all that great. IM 3 despite it having a very bad story was more visually realistic.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: Lone Ranger replaced with Pacific Rim definitely should have happened but MoS's visuals weren't all that great. IM 3 despite it having a very bad story was more visually realistic.

I disagree, I thought MOS' visuals were far more impressive than IM3s. Regardless, Gravity does deserve to win and is almost a sure bet.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't take the Oscars seriously, they are political BS run by a bunch of corrupt Hollywood elites. Disney must have sent bigger checks to the Academy than WB to get their movies on the nominations.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't take the Oscars seriously at all but both Pacific Rim and Man of Steel deserve a nomination way more than any of the ones that have been nominated.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was ridiculous!

I mean snub is a very serious term because you are saying that another movie deserved, and the one of them didn't. I rarely use the word snub because usually I find the movie at least a little deserving, but the lone ranger was completely undeserving! Especially with movies like mos and pacific waiting.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because gravity already has this locked up.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#22  Edited By AssertingValor

Pacific rim was wayyyyy better than TLR. Wtf

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might depend on how they judge these things. Lone Ranger may have gotten it because it's a mix of live-action stunts and greenscreen, while all the visual-effects stuff in Pacific Rim was all in computers, which means the panel will have been old fashioned, but no surprise there.

Majority of the effects in pacific rim is built in practical effects.. even the cockpit of the pilot is real..

There was a rumor 2 months ago that disney was spending cash bribing the panelists. just for the lone ranger to get an award or nomination

And it turns out to be true.. lone ranger has been nominated..

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scouts1998

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/oscars-2014-16-shameful-snubs/best-visual-effects-man-of-steel

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@chibi_cute: Well, take heart in knowing it's also been nominated for half a dozen Razzies, including worst picture and worst actor.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

The Lone Ranger? Seriously?

Pacific Rim absolutely deserved a special effects nomination, especially over that.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is why I don't take any of these award shows seriously.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What visual effects were there really in Lone Ranger? Some dude getting his heart eaten OFF SCREEN? A train crashing? Eff that. #PacificRimForLife

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh said:

What visual effects were there really in Lone Ranger? Some dude getting his heart eaten OFF SCREEN? A train crashing? Eff that. #PacificRimForLife

The crow moving on top of johhny depp's head maybe impressed the oscar panelists.. -_-

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

I think visual effects is a category that only the FX people vote on, so if they didn't give PR the nod it is probably for a good enough reason.

_Glacier_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the rare occasions I come to the Off-Topic. I read this and want to go there and shoot everyone on that effing Academy. Really? Gravity and Pacific Rim were the strongest contenders. Four freaking robots, tons of giant monsters, fights underwater, that neural connection and they lose for this sht? Like, a train crashing? I saw old movies with fcking train crashes.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: clearly they are biased.. hollywood movie awards is famously notorious for its favoritism..

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh said:

The crow moving on top of johhny depp's head maybe impressed the oscar panelists.. -_-

Loading Video...

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. I was angrier when I saw that MOS wasn't nominated for best score though...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I would have chosen Elysium over Iron Man III. I'm much more impressed when a film manages to pull off realistic effects on a much smaller budget. At this point, I've seen what Iron Man has to show. It's done well, but it didn't bring anything new to the table this year.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouts1998 said:

Agreed. I was angrier when I saw that MOS wasn't nominated for best score though...

how come they can ignore the mighty hans zimmer.?

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool said:

@scouts1998 said:

how come they can ignore the mighty hans zimmer.?

The score was pretty damn good

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@razzatazz: clearly they are biased.. hollywood movie awards is famously notorious for its favoritism..

I guess that they might be biased, but it is voted on by those considered to be at the top of their field.