Our fate, is it final or do we make our own?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Trodorne

I bring this up as those I work with is given this question.

We are all set to die it is written and it is our fate. But if given the chance to change your fate to the way you want it, how would you prefer to die?

Me by nature I often yearn for an honourable death in combat, same as my ancestors. Though I am not a direct line to my viking heritage I am still part of that line. Accepting ones mortality and embracing life is always grand and glorious, but with my life being extinguished through the pure art of survival in combat I could not see any better way. I would not go out looking for a fight but hey if I find myself in Grizzly country with nothing more but a stick and my BEAR hands. I am going to fight the bastard.

Having that choice of your end is a rare gift for some. so just out of conversation and imagination how would you prefer to go id you were given the chance?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

I hate the thought of my life being a predetermined path, so I choose to believe I make my own way. I make my own success, I make my own mistakes, and I guide my own path.

So to answer your question, I may one day choose to sacrifice my life for another, or to do something stupid and get myself killed, but I think my choices will lead me to my death bed not fate.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By minigunman123

I'd like to die saving someone's life.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By minigunman123

@Blood1991 said:

I hate the thought of my life being a predetermined path, so I choose to believe I make my own way. I make my own success, I make my own mistakes, and I guide my own path.

So to answer your question, I may one day choose to sacrifice my life for another, or to do something stupid and get myself killed, but I think my choices will lead me to my death bed not fate.

I agree that the emotionless, purposeless concept of a mindless "fate" is a horrible and baffling one, but I also think that other people have a say in whether we live or die. For example, what if someone decides to shoot the next person he sees, and woe be unto you, he sees you next? You don't exactly have control over that. How could you? You couldn't have known beforehand that he was going to snap at that precise moment.

Essentially, I'm saying I don't believe in fate, I believe in consequences and reason. Things happen, they aren't all within our grasp or control, and we're often caught in the middle; the thing we should do is make the best of it. I'm also a Christian, so I think God has a plan for everyone, but we are not forced to go by that plan. He might even have multiple plans for one person, all of which lead to a prosperous life. I don't think almost any protestants would actually say that God pre-determines our life and forces us to do his bidding, though. The Bible is pretty clear, that he doesn't do that, and that's where sin comes from; our desire to turn away from his plans. As well, his plans are often not "do this exact thing", but "don't do these things", and we have some freedom within his plan; or, a lot of freedom.

I believe everyone has a purpose, and other people have purposes which conflict with our purposes, whether any of us know our individual purposes or not, or whether we go about them one way or another. Our time of death can be our choosing, or not. It's not certain yet, to us.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blood1991

@minigunman123 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I agree that the emotionless, purposeless concept of a mindless "fate" is a horrible and baffling one, but I also think that other people have a say in whether we live or die. For example, what if someone decides to shoot the next person he sees, and woe be unto you, he sees you next? You don't exactly have control over that. How could you? You couldn't have known beforehand that he was going to snap at that precise moment.

Essentially, I'm saying I don't believe in fate, I believe in consequences and reason. Things happen, they aren't all within our grasp or control, and we're often caught in the middle; the thing we should do is make the best of it. I'm also a Christian, so I think God has a plan for everyone, but we are not forced to go by that plan. He might even have multiple plans for one person, all of which lead to a prosperous life. I don't think almost any protestants would actually say that God pre-determines our life and forces us to do his bidding, though. The Bible is pretty clear, that he doesn't do that, and that's where sin comes from; our desire to turn away from his plans. As well, his plans are often not "do this exact thing", but "don't do these things", and we have some freedom within his plan; or, a lot of freedom.

I believe everyone has a purpose, and other people have purposes which conflict with our purposes, whether any of us know our individual purposes or not, or whether we go about them one way or another. Our time of death can be our choosing, or not. It's not certain yet, to us.

I am an Atheist so I disagree on some aspects. When that man decided he was going to shoot the next person he saw it was his decision and the person who was in his way lead themselves to that point, and have a choice in how they react. There is a chance they could save themselves, or that man could miss. I like to think of it as a crowded Mall. We are all headed somewhere and we bump, and pass alot of people on our way there and sometimes something along the way is incredibly impacting, or we see something that redirects our course. This is chance, how our different directions, and beginnings intertwine, or how choices eventually accumulate. I also disagree with the idea we are born with purpose I believe purpose is something we have to find on our own, and this search is grueling and some people never find purpose.

When it comes to religion I simply state my beliefs as this, "some people find faith in god, I found hope in chance."

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By minigunman123

@Blood1991 said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Blood1991 said:

I am an Atheist so I disagree on some aspects. When that man decided he was going to shoot the next person he saw it was his decision and the person who was in his way lead themselves to that point, and have a choice in how they react. There is a chance they could save themselves, or that man could miss. I like to think of it as a crowded Mall. We are all headed somewhere and we bump, and pass alot of people on our way there and sometimes something along the way is incredibly impacting, or we see something that redirects our course. This is chance, how our different directions, and beginnings intertwine, or how choices eventually accumulate. I also disagree with the idea we are born with purpose I believe purpose is something we have to find on our own, and this search is grueling and some people never find purpose.

When it comes to religion I simply state my beliefs as this, "some people find faith in god, I found hope in chance."

Well, I'm fine with you not believing in God, but putting your faith specifically in chance seems a bit odd... What if, by chance, someone decides to firebomb your house tonight? Chance can be a real b*tch. I'm just curious what led you to find either "faith" or "hope" in chance, it seems a bit odd to me, as I've never considered it for myself.

Also, from a purely scientific standpoint, everything relevant to humans isn't chance, but rather a series of consequences that connect like an infinite number of loops and chains, so complicated that we merely consider it random, but everything humans do has a reason, even if we're insane. If someone's insane, there's a reason they're insane; there's also a reason for them doing something, some misperception or chemical imbalance or horribly distorted thought that makes them do crazy, seemingly unpredictable things, spurred on by something that happened, whether it's internal or external; and one could go further to say that everything starts as an external force, that changes and sets in motion who we are and what we do from then on, with other external forces or experiences further evolving our thoughts and actions. This is even supported by Newton's first law, which states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and direction unless an external force is applied; this means that somewhere along the way, something started the universe, and from then on, while virtually everything could theoretically be predictable, it's just too complicated to keep track of by any means we have available.

In other words, faith-wise, I'm still curious what led you to your interest in the concept of chance and luck, but scientifically, I'm wondering if perhaps we (the human race as a whole) should all consider more carefully how we act and react, since it causes other events that would be in part due to us, not just random acts of humanity without a cause.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blood1991

@minigunman123 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Blood1991 said:

Well, I'm fine with you not believing in God, but putting your faith specifically in chance seems a bit odd... What if, by chance, someone decides to firebomb your house tonight? Chance can be a real b*tch. I'm just curious what led you to find either "faith" or "hope" in chance, it seems a bit odd to me, as I've never considered it for myself.

Also, from a purely scientific standpoint, everything relevant to humans isn't chance, but rather a series of consequences that connect like an infinite number of loops and chains, so complicated that we merely consider it random, but everything humans do has a reason, even if we're insane. If someone's insane, there's a reason they're insane; there's also a reason for them doing something, some misperception or chemical imbalance or horribly distorted thought that makes them do crazy, seemingly unpredictable things, spurred on by something that happened, whether it's internal or external; and one could go further to say that everything starts as an external force, that changes and sets in motion who we are and what we do from then on, with other external forces or experiences further evolving our thoughts and actions. This is even supported by Newton's first law, which states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and direction unless an external force is applied; this means that somewhere along the way, something started the universe, and from then on, while virtually everything could theoretically be predictable, it's just too complicated to keep track of by any means we have available.

In other words, faith-wise, I'm still curious what led you to your interest in the concept of chance and luck, but scientifically, I'm wondering if perhaps we (the human race as a whole) should all consider more carefully how we act and react, since it causes other events that would be in part due to us, not just random acts of humanity without a cause.

Lol, that's why I hope that won't happen. Hope is simply a desire for a specific outcome. I hope I get a great job, but there is a chance I won't However, I can increase the probability of this outcome by getting a good education, and working hard. It has nothing to do with faith, which is reserved for myself and people I trust, though looking back at my post I can see the confusion. I tend to romanticize I apologize :p. I also don't believe in luck, so I think we may have different definitions of chance.

As for your explanation I agree for the most part, but I link these concepts with chance. For every action there is an equal or greater reaction, thus choices impact not only us, but the people around, us and vice versa . These are external factors in our lives. I don't have to know someone or even be around someone for them to unknowingly impact my life in some way. So back to that man who chose to firebomb my house, I unknowingly was a victim, but there was always a chance of that happening, to me or anyone, but knowing my surroundings I know it isn't probable. Chance is in my opinion simply the probability of an occurrence, but this can be interpreted in many different ways. Our choices, and Biology affect our internal thoughts, but even then there is still a probability of something Internal causing someone to snap. Take family lineage for example, if heart disease is common in your family then you are at risk, this is out of your control, but you can control the probability of this happening with exercise, and a healthy diet.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By deadpoolrules

@minigunman123 said:

I'd like to die saving someone's life.

This would be awesome,but I would prefer dying saving loads of people :)

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By kuonphobos

I will live forever. I have decided.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Trodorne

@kuonphobos said:

You would live forever knowing that everyone else around you ages and dies?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nickzambuto

I'd like to die during a threesome on my hundreth birthday.

...I mean I wanna die an honorable death by saving someone's life.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lykopis

Interesting question.

I would like to live as long as I can, doing as much as I can in what I hope to achieve and then die naturally in my sleep, alone. I hope to not leave anyone behind to mourn my death and as for the people I've encountered in my life -- I aim to disappear so they are free to imagine me safe and happy somewhere.

If anyone sheds a tear over me, I failed.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd like to live til my 80s or 90s

But if I had to die early I would like to go out saving a life or die in a blaze of glory.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@nickzambuto said:

I'd like to die during a threesome on my hundreth birthday.

...I mean I wanna die an honorable death by saving someone's life.

THIS!! XD

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dont really know to be honest.I would just like to die peacefully and I would like to live my life the best way I can.

I would hate to suffer from something such as dementia or some other degenerative illness,I saw a loved suffer from it and it was terrible.As I value my own mind and the ability to think and be aware of thoughts and my surroundings,without that I wouldn't be living anymore.I also hate the idea of going into a care home.I would just prefer to die peacefully in my sleep.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pooty

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I dont really know to be honest.I would just like to die peacefully and I would like to live my life the best way I can.

I would hate to suffer from something such as dementia or some other degenerative illness,I saw a loved suffer from it and it was terrible.As I value my own mind and the ability to think and be aware of thoughts and my surroundings,without that I wouldn't be living anymore.I also hate the idea of going into a care home.I would just prefer to die peacefully in my sleep.

as far as preventing dementia and mental illness are concerned: READING IS KEY!! Never stop reading!! Do crossword puzzles. Reading the Newspaper. Word Jumbles. Research shows that READING reduces the chance of dementia and mental illness by as much as 70%. so keep those comic books

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pooty said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

as far as preventing dementia and mental illness are concerned: READING IS KEY!! Never stop reading!! Do crossword puzzles. Reading the Newspaper. Word Jumbles. Research shows that READING reduces the chance of dementia and mental illness by as much as 70%. so keep those comic books

Thanks I read alot.

Also I heard a while ago something about drinking tea or coffee helps reduce the chances.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#18  Edited By TheCannon

@Blood1991 said:

This 100%.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By jobiwankenobi

I think we have some sort of pre-determined fate but we can shape how it comes about.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kuonphobos

@Trodorne said:

@kuonphobos said:

You would live forever knowing that everyone else around you ages and dies?

Yes. That is why I fight against birth control and all attempts to slow down the population boom. =)

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Trodorne

@kuonphobos: Yes cause that is what we need now is more people....

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kuonphobos

@Trodorne: I don't know if "we" will but "I" certainly will as I contuinue on, and on, and on.....because that is my fate as I have determined it.....

=)