Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided

Good news/Bad news, everyone - Sauron's eye will not descend upon Moscow City. Plans to install a giant light-up version of the Dark Lord of Mordor's burning eyeball have been scuppered, thanks to complaints from the Russian Orthodox Church.

Originally, an art group named Svechenie planned to install a giant orb done up to look like the Eye of Sauron atop one of the skyscrapers in Moscow's International Business Center last night, in anticipation of The Battle of The Five Armies' release in the country. However, the plan had to be abandoned when officials from the Orthodox Church heard about the stunt, and were not to fond about such overtly evil imagery lighting up the city. Speaking to radio station Govorit Moskva, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin decried the Eye as a 'demonic symbol':

Such a symbol of triumphant evil rising above Moscow and becoming one of the tallest objects in the city…is it good or bad? I am afraid it's mostly bad. One shouldn't be surprised if something goes wrong with the city after that.

And thus, the project was shut down as quickly as it was announced. Who knows, maybe they just weren't looking forward to all the Mordor/Moscow jokes?

[Citylab]

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

"In Soviet Russia, the rings lord over you!"

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mortein

The Eye of Sauron would have been so cool, but once again religion had to ruin the fun because of superstition.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

The Eye of Sauron would have been so cool, but once again religion had to ruin the fun because of superstition.

It would have been pretty great

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

f you religion

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Argh the light! It's cursed I tell you! Cursed!

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was not what I was expecting and thus I am disappointed.
I really wanted to see pics of a Russian priest fighting Sauron.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That also would have been great

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagined bearded men in robes and young nuns wielding lightsabers fighting Sauron and his Nazgul.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By bloggerboy

Servants of imaginary gods fighting against imaginary forces of darkness. I love the symbolism and the delicious irony.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

Sorry best I could do.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Church is why we can't have nice things.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jonny_anonymous: Are you sh**ing me, Jonny?

Their Sauron is standing here right next to their Istari!!!

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aronmorales

@aronmorales said:

No Caption Provided

Sorry best I could do.

This is perfect, thank you.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By dshipp17

@mortein said:

It was a symbol of evil; why would good overcoming evil be considered ruining fun? The eye of sauron is evil superstition; so, if the country does not want the implications of a curse to hound them by listening to a church, that's actually a good thing; they probably avoid catastrophe and avoiding catastrophe is not ruined fun or superstition. This was a case of allowing the church to speak for the good of the people and not allowing a fewer minorities who were not bothered perhaps having a negative effect on the population, as a whole; this was a good call by Russia. Sounds like a good lesson to the United States, Britain, and the EU.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@mortein said:

It was a symbol of evil; why would good overcoming evil be considered ruining fun? The eye of sauron is evil superstition; so, if the country does not want the implications of a curse to hound them by listening to a church, that's actually a good thing; they probably avoid catastrophe and avoiding catastrophe is not ruined fun or superstition. This was a case of allowing the church to speak for the good of the people and not allowing a fewer minorities who were not bothered perhaps having a negative effect on the population, as a whole; this was a good call by Russia. Sounds like a good lesson to the United States, Britain, and the EU.

How can an eye be a superstition? Believing that The Eye of Sauron can have some spooky unwanted negative effects on people is a superstition, not the eye itself. And what catastrophe are they avoiding by not allowing the eye?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mortein said:

@dshipp17 said:

@mortein said:

How can an eye be a superstition? Believing that The Eye of Sauron can have some spooky unwanted negative effects on people is a superstition, not the eye itself. And what catastrophe are they avoiding by not allowing the eye?

They were probably facing the catastrophe of incurring God's wrath by allowing this evil eve to watch over their city, as if supporting the symbolism behind the eye; accepting evil as a way of life lead to instances such as Sodom and Gomorrah in the Bible; the church would have been irresponsible in the eyes of the Lord by letting Russia go through with the idea without voicing their objections. It's the message and thought behind the eye that counts; doing something likely to incur God's wrath is not a superstition; a large group of Christians should not have to concede that point to a small number of unbelievers to their peril; you may be of the opinion that it's a superstition, but the Orthodox church does not see it as a mere superstition and should not have to concede their position to a very small block of people; it's about standing behind their convictions.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not the only one...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers