• 123 results
Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll Original Star Wars Trilogy vs The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (229 votes)

Lord of the Rings 44%
Star Wars 45%
See Results 11%
 • 
reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

LotR is infinitely better in every way. Better acting, deeper story, and richer lore. People will obviously dispute the lore part - citing all the extra fluff that has nothing to do with George Lucas, but when solely comparing the trilogies on their own, it's easy to see which threesome offers more meat. Furthermore, LotR is the trilogy of my generation. I experienced it myself. It's not some packaged nostalgia passed on to me by an earlier generation. Case in point, many of today's Star Wars fans found the magic from other mediums (novels, video games, cartoons, etc.) before worshiping the original trilogy.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Not deeply into any of the two, but I always have enjoyed Star Wars more. Science fiction in general has always captured my interest greater than any fantasy series. I'd take Halo and Star Wars over Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones any day.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Star Wars. It just managed to captivate my imagination and interest so much more.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Star Wars, I find LotR boring every time I try to watch it...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Ugh, why do you guys have to consistently pit my favourite things against each other...

Despite my adoration for Tolkien's books, universe and the fantastic films, I'm handing this one to Star Wars. Those films immersed me so much into sci-fi that I can't even describe my feelings when first watching them. Although, the same could be said for LOTR and fantasy :P

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Star Wars, I find LotR boring every time I try to watch it...

star wars, cause ive actually watched it and didnt quit half way through and never look back....

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Star Wars

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

The Star Wars originals AND prequels are better than Lord of the Rings. That's not to say LOTR is bad, it's just the SW saga is amazing.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy Star Wars. Lotr just walk for 3 hours

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find Star Wars to be more entertaining.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Star Wars, no question.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lotr. No contest.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By DecoyElite

I preferred LOTR but I didn't see the Star Wars films when they first came out so I did lose something by doing so due to most of the story being spoiled.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#16 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Definitely the original Star Wars trilogy.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love both to death, but as far as the movies go, Star Wars. LOTR books are great, and the movies are good adaptions, but you can tell they're adaptions to better books.

Star Wars is made specifically for film, and it shows; it still excites me to watch any of the Original Trilogy. I'd have to be in a mood to watch just one LOTR movie.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR of course can't believe this was actually asked.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Star Wars for me. While I did think that the lord of the rings was cool, sic-fi has always interested me more than fantasy has. I prefer Fallout, mass effect and dead space to games like Elder scrolls, world of warcraft and runescape. I prefer star trek to game of thrones etc. etc.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Star Wars, even though they were a bit before my time(Return of the Jedi came out five years before I was born). Don't get me wrong Lord of the Rings was awesome too, just pressed to choose it has to be Star Wars.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Fallschirmjager

be warned, there is profanity in the video :3

Loading Video...

Xaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LotR is infinitely better in every way. Better acting, deeper story, and richer lore. People will obviously dispute the lore part - citing all the extra fluff that has nothing to do with George Lucas, but when solely comparing the trilogies on their own, it's easy to see which threesome offers more meat. Furthermore, LotR is the trilogy of my generation. I experienced it myself. It's not some packaged nostalgia passed on to me by an earlier generation. Case in point, many of today's Star Wars fans found the magic from other mediums (novels, video games, cartoons, etc.) before worshiping the original trilogy.

I agree I like the lord of the rings

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

be warned, there is profanity in the video :3

Loading Video...

This video explains why I like Star Wars more. It seems that whenever someone argues against Star Wars, they try to bring up the prequels to discredit it, unable to point out any major flaws with the Original Trilogy. Randal on the other hand was spot on with the LOTR criticism, all three movies was just people walking from one place to the next with a few little skirmishes in between.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaeternus

LOTR is not just people walking around...clearly the guy has no idea of what LOTR is in that video lol. First of all, different people from various parts of Middle Earth are doing something, then meeting ultimately to form the Fellowship...second movie has more action in it then every SW movie put together as did the third(so did he just fall asleep during the battle of healms deep, and middle earth? lol) that guy in the video is such a flawed fanboy it's ridiculous...

@xaa said:

@reignmaker said:

I agree I like the lord of the rings

This tenfold. Not even close, LOTR is just far more epic, better story and hardly boring.

I wasn't impressed with SW until the last part literally and I hate series that take 30+ years to explain simple things. Look at Hobbit post LOTR for example, what 10 years they waited? That's long enough...better then 30+ lol, the prequels to SW sucked and were bombarded with CGI, where as LOTR had far less, better acting and actual hundreds of extras dressed up...All that aside, SW happwned to spawn one of the Lamest characters of all time, Jar-Jar Binks. Nuff said lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@vaeternus: You're entire post is criticising the prequels, we are talking about the original trilogy.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaeternus

@the_stegman said:

@vaeternus: You're entire post is criticising the prequels, we are talking about the original trilogy.

Not my entire post lol, I'm know of the original trilogy 4, 5 and 6. Check out my initial post read my first sentence I said I didn't really have much interest until the last part(movie 6) The other issues I addressed the prequels in general, besides others mentioned the prequels as well...

I liked SW 6 the most (well that and the 3rd movie) of the SW saga, I just enjoy LOTR more.

LOTR and SW have always had two entirely different fanbases.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#28  Edited By Lvenger

It's a tough one but I just have to go with Lord of the Rings. I find myself immersed more in the characters, the lore and the story more than Star Wars. The one nitpick I can make of the original trilogy is that the characters are written to fit certain archetypes whereas there's a bit more depth and scale to the characters in LOTR. But it's very close. Both LOTR and the original SW trilogy are in my top 10 favourite films of all time.

Krazy_Carmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for LOTR but i have to admit i feel like its an unfair vote in ways were SW episode 4 5 6 were film in a time era were the obvious of course special effect not being there but the acting its self it just different style, flow of the movie, editing, just visually LOTR was more interesting..although im a big SW fan dont get me wrong just LOTR provides the entertinment of my generation oppose to those in the 1970's generation

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It's a tough one but I just have to go with Lord of the Rings. I find myself immersed more in the characters, the lore and the story more than Star Wars. The one nitpick I can make of the original trilogy is that the characters are written to fit certain archetypes whereas there's a bit more depth and scale to the characters in LOTR. But it's very close. Both LOTR and the original SW trilogy are in my top 10 favourite films of all time.

I feel the same way, I like how fleshed out the LOTR characters are. As far as movie success, overall worldwide LOTR The Return of the King gained more money then any SW movie. Both the 6th SW film and 3rd LOTR both won 11 academy awards(which is VERY impressive as well as very rare)

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Star Wars is easily better then LOTR.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for LOTR but i have to admit i feel like its an unfair vote in ways were SW episode 4 5 6 were film in a time era were the obvious of course special effect not being there but the acting its self it just different style, flow of the movie, editing, just visually LOTR was more interesting..although im a big SW fan dont get me wrong just LOTR provides the entertinment of my generation oppose to those in the 1970's generation

I agree, I'm sure SW will win since this is a very pro SW site(reason why I say this is SW vs. insert here) SW always wins the poll but that doesn't mean it's necessarily better. I totally hear ya on the generation gig, I feel the same way. I remember seeing SW when I was young, like this is alright not bad but just being blown away by LOTR especially the second and third film.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I always find it funny how most of the love of star wars comes from material George Lucas had no part in. The prequels were great but compared to the LoTR trilogy, they're lacking. But.....lightsabres are cool af lol

Oh, however, if the star wars series were in the hand of a better director/writer/creator, I think it couldve been better than LoTR. The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker should've been handled better.....

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@vaeternus said:

@lvenger said:

I feel the same way, I like how fleshed out the LOTR characters are. As far as movie success, overall worldwide LOTR The Return of the King gained more money then any SW movie. Both the 6th SW film and 3rd LOTR both won 11 academy awards(which is VERY impressive as well as very rare)

really? I think sw was nominated for 11, and won 6?

rotk was nominated for 11 and won 11?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like LOTR more

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Original Star Wars movies were great. All 3 of them.

With LotR trilogy..... Fellowship was great, Two Towers was okay, and Return of the King was crap.

Star Wars wins without a doubt.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: youre probably right, i thought a sw won 11. I think titanic did.

Lol@ lotr 3 being crap uhh, no..that movie had.more action i it then all old sw movies combined.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1:

Lol@ lotr 3 being crap uhh, no..that movie had.more action i it then all old sw movies combined.

Agreed. Honestly I thought the first LOTR movie was terribly campy. RotK was the best of the 3 - imo

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I enjoyed both but I like Star Wars more, not that its neccessarily better but the world drew me in so much more. And the Lotr series wasnst as good as the books.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think living up to the books would be a hard challenge for any director but Peter Jackson did as great and close a job as anyone can do honestly in the business right now. 11 Academy awards? Kind of hard to top that...

@vaeternus said:

@princearagorn1:

Agreed. Honestly I thought the first LOTR movie was terribly campy. RotK was the best of the 3 - imo

Yep, I mean it's honestly hard for me to hate any of the LOTR but namely the third movie was just epic, has the number, popularity and awards to also back it up. SW always seemed more dull to me in comparison.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#43  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

Yeah it speaks a great deal of the quality and impact of these popular culture films have had generally. They're popular amongst people who are fans of the fantasy/sci fi genre and those that aren't too big on them. That's a big advantage of these two films.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I haven't watched the original trilogy for a lot of time and I don't quite remember what was happening and stuff like that but I remember that I liked the original Star Wars a lot and way more than Lord of the Rings.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@vaeternus said:

@lvenger said:

Yeah it speaks a great deal of the quality and impact of these popular culture films have had generally. They're popular amongst people who are fans of the fantasy/sci fi genre and those that aren't too big on them. That's a big advantage of these two films.

Yeah totally, I mean not that I hated the SW6 ending battles but compared to LOTR 3's battles they are rather dull in comparison.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#46  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Sorry, but I'm a fan of both. In my opinion, Star Wars and Halo are strong examples of great science fiction, and Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are strong examples of epic fantasy. Personally I'm loyal to Star Wars, but the thing is I'm too optimistic.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By PowerHerc

Original Star Wars.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Something i love is how people fail to notice LOTR did that much money based on the fact tickets were terribly more expensive, even when in tickets sell Star Wars Episode 4 wold over 178 million tickets, 102 millions tickests more That The Avengers, yeah one movie of Star Wars alone stomps several franchises.

Lotr biggest tickets sell, 61 million tickets, all the original trilogy sold more that 90 million tickets.

So Bo officce number lies terribly, tickets sell numbers tell you another story, the story of how Star Wars is the biggest movie franchise of all time.

Compare many elements that are explain with the fact, there is 30 years diference, many thing got better with years, fights is the best example, stunts another, how thing look also.

Without Star Wars Lotr would had never be made as a movies and the Blockbuster Era would had never start, Jaws and Star Wars killed New Hollywood era and changed how to make movies forever, it had a bigger impact.

Star Wars had a bigger impact, people could talk all the want, but their argument is based in the fact how the movie looks.

Besides LOTR isnt aging as well as Star Wars.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers