OPM: Has Watchdog-man removed his limiter?

the_son_of_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently picked up OnePunch Man to see what the hype was all about. A certain character, Watchdog-man, has caught my attention. We know very little about him so far. We know he's an S class hero who defends the most dangerous city on Earth, Q-city. We also know that he has been taking out monsters faster than any other hero.

When we are first introduced to Watchdog-man we see him sitting upon a pile of recently slain monsters. In the web comic we see him effortlessly decapitating a huge monster. He seems quite powerful, more powerful than any other S class. His face, however, hints at something else entirely.

Both Caped Baldy and Watchdog-man's faces are drawn in a similar, simplistic way. I think all this evidence combined points towards one thing.

Watchdog-man has removed his limiter. I think (entering headcanon territory now) that had he and Garou been given the chance to fight each other, he would have destroyed Garou with a casual swipe of his paw. He is what Saitama is becoming, a merciless killing machine without any emotion. He's not fighting for justice anymore, he's just looking for a worthy opponent who can cure his boredom.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlphaQ

Seems like a pretry big conclusion for a side character comsidering all the S class heroes are unbelievably powerful.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see enough supporting that theory. Hopefully blast has something to do with limiters.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He's got a ridiculous design but I've got high hopes for this guy.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Magian

Was really curious to see what Watchdog Man was capable of when Garou was about to fight him but that monster just had to attack then...

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian said:

Was really curious to see what Watchdog Man was capable of when Garou was about to fight him but that monster just had to attack then...

I haven't watched the last 3 episodes but it's not much of a spoiler to say you will see what Watchdog Man is capable of.

Akhilxcx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akhilxcx

has anyone wondered where is class S rank 1 during all these monster crisis?? why is he no1 and not the watchdog man. also if watchdog man is so op why is he below tatsumaki, silverfang or atomic samurai. if he is in similar levels as saitama then he should be way above king.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Don't care about being spoiled anyway. I see, nice. For some reason I like him. No idea why lol

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian said:

@morpheus_: Don't care about being spoiled anyway. I see, nice. For some reason I like him. No idea why lol

In that case, Watchdog Man does end up fighting Garou and beats him easily.

However, Garou grows much more powerful down the line.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: lol Really? Nice, now that I would like to see.

Yeah, I know about that. And that he even changes his appearance while getting stronger or something like this.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian: You will see it soon. It was just a few panels in the manga so don't expect a lengthy showing, though. Garou does manage to copy Watchdog Man's fighting style, which he then uses in another crucial moment down the line.

His physical change is not too apparent until he becomes a "monster" - up until then his hair are splattered with blood and his clothes are fused with his body, but he's otherwise as you know him in body type and appearance. In the manga he hasn't reached that final monster stage, either.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Wasn't expecting one at all so that's something I guess lol

Is this happening because he ingested the monster cells or because of some innate ability?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian:

No, Garou refuses to consume monster cells. Even though he's not beyond literally cannibalizing monsters later.

Every being has a level of growth that they can attain - the way said growth is measured is referred to as "limiter" in the OPM-verse. On very rare occasions (Saitama) people can shatter their naturally imposed limits. And according to other theories, coming close to death repeatedly and managing to surmount it also helps in removing one's limiter. Garou has probably done, or come close to doing both.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: That's a cool idea actually. I think I've seen it, or similar concepts to it anyway, being used in other works.

See? Why read it when you can tell me about it? :p But seriously now, thanks for the information.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy scheisse. I just posted about this character about a minute ago, then saw this thread. What a coincidence.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

@morpheus_: That's a cool idea actually. I think I've seen it, or similar concepts to it anyway, being used in other works.

Yeah, they're ripping off Dragon Ball.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

Nah he just fights in an animalistic way that's hard for opponents to counter. I still think Silverfang and Tornado would beat him.

If anything, I'd say Blast may have a limiter removal.

Avatar image for psychoticwolfie
PsychoticWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who says Watchdog Man isn't equally as powerful as Saitama has no idea what they're talking about. That's not to say he is as powerful, or isn't. Just that, it doesn't match up with what we know or see. Statistically speaking, Saitama and Watchdog Man are equivalent, and really you could even consider Watchdog Man more successful. And as for the whole "Saitama is a gag character and we don't know if Watchdog Man is a gag character or not" thing, really? Do you really not think that Watchdog Man, and MANY other characters in OPM, are gag characters? Because they all are. The entire series is a gag series. But, a character is a character when it really comes down to it. Do you wonder why they haven't even so much as given Watchdog Man an episode's worth of screen time in the entire first two seasons? But they've given just enough screen time and information about his character that we're having this debate right now. And that's by design, Watchdog Man was intended for you to wonder whether or not he's as strong as, or capable of beating Saitama. And therefore, yes, he has his limiter removed. Isn't there such a thing as unspoken/implied canon?

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think not.

Avatar image for deactivated-60acd46546480
deactivated-60acd46546480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be fun but there's not enough evidence.