Posted by Paracelsus (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps we should be grateful for small mercies- in all the media frenzy over the shooting dead of two Manchester police officers( made all the more intense by the fact that they were both women), there were no call for the return of the death penalty for the most part(abolished since 1965 in the UK) and little serious calls for our "bobbies on the beat" to be routinely armed like their American counterparts-neither would have saved their lives and anyway reinstating the gallows is a non-starter-it would mean withdrawing from not just the European Union( and European Convention On Human Rights) but from numerous UN human rights agreements- and to what avail?( the only other European state that executes is Belarus-hardly the sort of society I think we could or should emulate). "Cop-killings"(like those of children by strangers pace the "Moors Murderers" and Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in 2002)are indeed extraordinarily rare occurrences; their number has barely risen by apercentage point since 1970-only the "nutters" of the underworld or maybe terrorists go in for it, most "thinking villains" see no valid reason for it;it's easier and less attention grabbing to bribe a police officer than kill him or her.

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

#1 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

So is it true that British police ride bicycles and are armed with nothing more than mace and batons?

#2 Posted by Paracelsus (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes they use both of the above but they either go around on foot or in "panda cars".

Terry

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun said:

So is it true that British police ride bicycles and are armed with nothing more than mace and batons?

In some areas where it is necessary they are slightly better equipped but none have fire-arms (apart from Scotland apparently).

On topic this is disgusting. The fact that it was a trap makes it sound a bit like a gang initiation - kill a cop or two to join them.

#4 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

The way that this has been glorified sickens me, and I will never understand the distaste and hatred that so many hold against the Police Force...

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard people talk about allowing police officers to carry guns after this.Which doesn't make sense,I mean we would be hearing about things like this much more often if they did.

Guns would be legalized which wouldn't help matters.

#6 Posted by Death Certificate (5408 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I heard people talk about allowing police officers to carry guns after this.Which doesn't make sense,I mean we would be hearing about things like this much more often if they did.

Who the hell is dumb enough to legalize guns in the UK? Places like London or Manchester would get worst

#7 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't. Legalize. Guns.

Imagine sharing the largest unpatrolled border with a country that does.

At least your country is surrounded by water.

#8 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Who the hell is dumb enough to legalize guns in the UK? Places like London or Manchester would get worst

Exactly my point but I've heard people suggest the idea.

@lykopis said:

Don't. Legalize. Guns.

Imagine sharing the largest unpatrolled border with a country that does.

At least your country is surrounded by water.

Yeah I mean America has a huge gun problem,knives are a big enough problem over here as it is.