On a scale from 1-10, how important is grammar in debates?

• 78 results
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

The question is simple, how important do you think grammar is in debates?

Personally, I think it's a 10.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By swordmasterD

Only important if you make a big spelling error or get words mixed up, other than that I just need to know what you're saying

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Very important. Sounding incompetent really doesn't help you no matter how strong your points are.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

10, Y wuld u even try too debate with grammar that ain't rite? It makes there argument look more stupider.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

10, without a doubt. If you can't spell I'm not listening to anything your saying.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7.5 because it is important, but not as important as the actual debate.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By SaintWildcard

I see a lot of 10's, this is why I don't debate.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By russellmania77

As long as the point is clear 1

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#10  Edited By tomlikesfries

As long as the point is clear 1

Not exactly, you can't make a clear point if you can't place commas correctly. Having good grammar even helps you in voting. It's much more tiring and annoying having to read through a debate in which people can't spell properly or use commas and dots.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

I'd say I depends on context and whether you are debating with one person and how understanding they are. How well they can understand you. Maybe some other situation where people are observing. So on. In a lot of disagreements, even people with perfect grammar, can and will misunderstand each other, sometimes on purpose to attempt to weaken a persons stance or sometimes unintentionally, because they really didn't grasp a persons argument or point. In contrast, you can have two debaters who understand that the other may have good arguments and points, and whom both are pretty sincere and intellectually honest and both can overlook grammar errors, and they could both communicate and understand each other flawlessly.

So depends. Some peoples debate style is hardcore gangster. As in I am gonna take you to school fool, and push it. Push it real good, cause ^%&^ the ^&%^%, King Kong ain't got %^$% on me rawr some ^%&%^% go end up in body bags. Some peoples debate style is more like reggae. Hey, pass the dutchie to the left hand side, no need to Stir it Up friend, Time Will Tell, No More Trouble, lets have Easy Debating. Which is to say, some people prefer scoring any sort of points when you can, and if that means demonstrating an opponent may lack competence in one thing? Well... where as others just want a kinder, gentler, more understanding debate focusing on subject matter/topic.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

10, Y wuld u even try too debate with grammar that ain't rite? It makes there argument look more stupider.

LOL.

Funny part about this is, I saw post that are worse then this in the Battle- forum >__<

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AweSam

supermans beet batmans becuz he heetvisons unless btmans has kriptonit becuz it makes supermans week,

Hmm... As long as I'm not putting any effort into reading the argument, but I'll usually take the person less seriously if they have poor grammar.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Being certified Dyslexic, I tend not to be bugged by it to much.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1, IMO. If someone brings facts, I don't really care if they say "your" instead of "you're."

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

I'd say I depends on context and whether you are debating with one person and how understanding they are. How well they can understand you. Maybe some other situation where people are observing. So on. In a lot of disagreements, even people with perfect grammar, can and will misunderstand each other, sometimes on purpose to attempt to weaken a persons stance or sometimes unintentionally, because they really didn't grasp a persons argument or point. In contrast, you can have two debaters who understand that the other may have good arguments and points, and whom both are pretty sincere and intellectually honest and both can overlook grammar errors, and they could both communicate and understand each other flawlessly.

So depends. Some peoples debate style is hardcore gangster. As in I am gonna take you to school fool, and push it. Push it real good, cause ^%&^ the ^&%^%, King Kong ain't got %^$% on me rawr some ^%&%^% go end up in body bags. Some peoples debate style is more like reggae. Hey, pass the dutchie to the left hand side, no need to Stir it Up friend, Time Will Tell, No More Trouble, lets have Easy Debating. Which is to say, some people prefer scoring any sort of points when you can, and if that means demonstrating an opponent may lack competence in one thing? Well... where as others just want a kinder, gentler, more understanding debate focusing on subject matter/topic.

This is kinda why I love you ;P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

8, maybe 8.5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as its understandable it doesnt matter how good your grammar is. No one has perfect grammar anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question is simple, how important do you think grammar is in debates?

Personally, I think it's a 10.

Important, since I have to understand what the hell you are talking about in order to give you a proper reply. Which is funny since people who don't know English always are the first to try to debate.

9, since no one is perfect.

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BloodyNights

6-7 for me. As long as it's understandable I don't really care if a word, or two is misspelled. But if I can't read your post, or it's difficult to read it. I probably won't take you very seriously. Especially if it's littered through out your post. But I'm not so grammar nazi that if I see just small things out of place that I'll discredit them. I could care less if someone spells something as your, instead of you're, or vice versa. All I care about is that you don't look like a second grader when you make your post.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on whether it's a casual or formal debate. It also depends on other things like what the forum is, what you're debating, etc. But, generally it does matter to some degree. Even if the impression is subconscious, good grammar shows that you're educated and that you care about the way you come across. These types of things can lend credibility to what you're saying, since obviously in a debate there's a lot that goes unproven and taken as assumptions. For example, if I'm making claims about my expertise or some facts that I'm throwing out without proof, if I come across as illiterate then you're going to doubt what I say, but if I write well and seem intelligent then I'll have more credibility.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the internet SCREW GRAMMAR MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. 1.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good grammar makes people take you more seriously, but it isn't essential.

Avatar image for darklordargeist
DarkLordArgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its easy for a sentence to be misconstrued by just misplacing punctuation.

EX.

“Most of the time, travelers worry about their luggage.”

“Most of the time travelers worry about their luggage”

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ostyo

@sc: Oh sure...say that after you post such beautifully written comment like dat.

I hate you! *cries*

Avatar image for darklordargeist
DarkLordArgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DarkLordArgeist

@ostyo said:

Have you voted for me yet?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kyrees

as long as i can understand the essence of that argument, it's not that important to me.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Dis s**t is 10 and i liek ghrammer.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5. It depends on whether or not I could understand it and how much it annoyed me trying to make sense of it. For instance, I hate when people use text message language in their posts. I generally consider them to be more on the childish side and not someone mature enough to debate with.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very important. Not just in debates but in written conversations in general.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's just one word then it's not a big deal. If it's several and to the point were it's so bad that your unable to understand what they're trying to say then you have a problem. But I'll say a 4.7

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If it's just one word then it's not a big deal. If it's several and to the point were it's so bad that your unable to understand what they're trying to say then you have a problem. But I'll say a 4.7

Can u underztand dunky landguage.

BTW, have you seen the Donkey?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarhas: errr sometimes but not all the times.

Think she either quite the site after the update or she's taking a break. If you notice her post count number i don't think she's coming back. She left on a very cryptic post count number that I don't think she will want to add on to.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all about formatting & making the debate fun & easy to read for voters. I often don't vote if I'm having difficulty following the debate & can't decipher what they're trying to say.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 or 6

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

8. While it is theoretically not the most important aspect, it can make or break a debate. I have won debates with inferior feats but superior grammar.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eisenfauste

7.7 throughout regular debates, in CaV it needs to be a 9 or above for people to take you seriously enough. The only thing that gets me is when people either use their phones and button mash, or keyboard mash and mix up words left and right, it really ticks me off.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

7 - 8, editing and proofreading isn't frowned upon though.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomlikesfries: yes but you understood my point with out comas or periods right?

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

@tomlikesfries: yes but you understood my point with out comas or periods right?

Yes lol. It's not like I'd give it a 10, grammar is still not as important as your actual case. I'd say it's a 7.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nerdork

8.5 - 10. People that cannot articulately convey their message in a debate setting, probably have a fairly low level comprehension anyway. That only ever leads to miscommunication and misrepresentation. Often enough, i have found myself in the battle forum, arguing with another...but, we were arguing the same point. It was their use of grammar and spelling, and misuse of adjectives that made it impossible to tell they were agreeeing with me.

Xo10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 it isn't the most important thing but you don't want to sound illiterate

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I generally don't take people seriously if they are incapable of articulating themselves in a proficient manner; this goes for debates as well as general conversation. If they are too lazy to capitalize "I" or they don't know what a comma is, I usually can't be bothered to reply.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nerdork

@jedixman said:

I generally don't take people seriously if they are incapable of articulating themselves in a proficient manner; this goes for debates as well as general conversation. If they are too lazy to capitalize "I" or they don't know what a comma is, I usually can't be bothered to reply.

I must admit, I dont always capitalize the "I". Its not that I'm too lazy. Sometimes I am writing to fast, or too much, and simply post before checking. Though, grammar and punctuation is very important to me.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49 JediXMan  Moderator
@nerdork said:

@jedixman said:

I must admit, I dont always capitalize the "I". Its not that I'm too lazy. Sometimes I am writing to fast, or too much, and simply post before checking. Though, grammar and punctuation is very important to me.

I understand occasional typos. It's just the more obscene, distracting errors that irritate me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Ide sey at leest a nyne.