• 90 results
#1 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey all, my sister is a huge Kpop fan (Pre-Psy); And she got me into it. I've noticed that it's not a huge thing on here. Some of you (I'm not gonna name any names...) don't know about the fuzzy, aegyo, corniness that is 'Kpop'. So I decided to create a thread for everyone who like/loves it, or just want to know about it (Or joke about it).

So I'll start it with...

Do you know of Kpop?

d?_?b

#2 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

I think that's Japanese?

But, I love it

d^_^b

#4 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Not a huge one but I like some Korean and Japanese.

#7 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae:

Who do you know of?

d^_^b

#8 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: I don't believe I know too much but I listen to anything really.

#9 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

I could bring you any samples of Kpop you want...Just give me search key

Are you a Dudes or Lady (I've thought you were a lady since I knew)

Or pick any of the names on this pic...

d^_^b

#10 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Lol! I'm a female. xD Those are very cool pics. =O Like how colorful they are! I might search up K-Pop songs. Tend to get that and J-Pop mixed up. 0.0

#11 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Kpop is a lot more Boyband/Girlgroup centered. From what I've seen, Jpop isn't as popular as Kpop. Jrock is by far more popular in Japan.

In Kpop, the record label create these groups. There are three main labels: S.M, Y.G, & J.Y.P. They are like the Marvel & DC of the Kpop world. S.M is the biggest of the three. Most groups get popular because they're on S.M. If I could relate it to anything...S.M is Marvel Movies and Y.G (The second biggest) is DC Movies.

S.M pops out groups almost every two years, like Marvel has made a movie every year.

• Marvel (Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Iron Man 2 > Thor > Captain America > The Avengers > Iron Man 3)
  • S.M (TVXQ/DBSK > Super Junior > Girl's Generation/SNSD > SHINee > f(x) > Exo)

Y.G is like DC; Like DC, who only had Nolan's Batman, then Superman (before Man of Steel) to compete with Marvel. Y.G only has Big Bang, then 2Ne1 to compete with S.M.

d^_^b

#12 Edited by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: You sure know a lot about this! =O Girl's Generation I actually have heard of! Is that a good band? =O Anything you'd recommend?

#13 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio

So sad to hear that K-Pop stars make absolutely no money almost. Nearly all the money they make go to the record companies :/

#14 Edited by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf: Oh wow! Really? That is such a shame. =( Didn't know that. D= Must be very tough.

#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of the genre. K-Pop is like an epidemic here in Asia, I hear and see it everywhere I'm beginning to get a little repulsed by it.

That being said, I do like the videos of the girl groups. You know....for their choreography.

#16 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: So, you live in Asia? I hear that Kpop is actually not popular in its home country. It's internationally popular.

@samimista:

Yeah, my sister and I spend a lot of time together. She's one of the many fangirls of Kpop; So, I'm into it as well...It's a guilty pleasure of mine, now.

@omgomgwtfwtf: Oh wow! Really? That is such a shame. =( Didn't know that. D= Must be very tough.

Yeah, they make little to no money. The pay varies from label to label. It's mostly because of the fact that the label pays for everything. The label trains them for three or four years before debut. Pays for the group's dorms, food, rent, transportation, ect...So the small amount of money they get is what they would have got after the label's cut and the responsibilities of adulthood.

And because of currency difference, the little bit that they make is almost nothing to us U.S natives. But the little bit they get, they use on close on stuff like that...

d^_^b

#17 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay

Yup, Southeast Asia. Korean music is all-pervasive here, but yeah, I have heard that the genre is more popular abroad than in South Korea itself.

#18 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio

All K-pop stars have to go through a rigorous boot camp for several years where they train you to become a sex icon basically. They will do whatever surgery they need and train you to dance and etc. It's pretty shitty, no offense to anyone, and whatever they get as a wage is basically too little to actually live on. Everything from their clothes, items, and housing are all payed by the record companies. Once the singers stop producing or their contract ends, they get thrown onto the streets for the new generation of pop idols. It's a sad life over there :(

Some of the talented singers actually quit their K-pop groups and become solo artists and try to make it big elsewhere (like Japan), where their singers make a lot more money.

Nearly 99% of them, however, are basically broke and live off whatever their record dealers give them.

Here's an article detailing the life of a k-pop star and how it's actually pretty sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13760064

http://www.businessinsider.com/economist-korean-pop-export-2012-8

#19 Edited by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Dragon is funny his makeup is lulzy at best

#20 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

Cool, like the Philippians, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, Lao, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan

Yeah, Kpop has a following in Korea. But it is big in Singapore, Some of Japan, Some of China, Europe, U.S,

@samimista said:

All K-pop stars have to go through a rigorous boot camp for several years where they train you to become a sex icon basically. They will do whatever surgery they need and train you to dance and etc. It's pretty shitty, no offense to anyone, and whatever they get as a wage is basically too little to actually live on. Everything from their clothes, items, and housing are all payed by the record companies. Once the singers stop producing or their contract ends, they get thrown onto the streets for the new generation of pop idols. It's a sad life over there :(

That is somewhat right...and especially on S.M, were a group is only a stair step in the company's timeline. Once a new group came, the previous group died. DBSK/TVXQ started the line. Once Super Junior came, DBSK/TVXQ went out. Once SHINee came Super Junior went out. Now that Exo is here, SHINee is most likely on their way out.

d^_^b

#21 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Nessy3 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

In Kpop, the record label create these groups. There are three main labels: S.M, Y.G, & J.Y.P. They are like the Marvel & DC of the Kpop world.

Ah, now I understand

#23 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@nessy3:

Yeah, that's how one get through to people of the Vine.

You couldn't guess how many times that has worked.

d^_^b

#24 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Some of the talented singers actually quit their K-pop groups and become solo artists and try to make it big elsewhere (like Japan), where their singers make a lot more money.

Nearly 99% of them, however, are basically broke and live off whatever their record dealers give them.

Here's an article detailing the life of a k-pop star and how it's actually pretty sad:

It's heartbreaking. The BBC released a documentary this weekend, following 9Muses (I think that's the name of the girl band) and it's awful. :/

#25 Edited by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

BoA ♥

I used to listen to it a lot in middle school back when I hung out in an all asian clique, lmao. Now... not so much. Would love to get back into it though. Need more pop music to listen to.

#26 Posted by russellmania77 (15758 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what k pop is

#27 Edited by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: Korean Pop

Infinite - The Chaser (2012)

SHINee - Hello (2010)

Girl's Day - Expectation (2013)

@lykopis:

Yeah, it's sad...for the ones in the business long enough, and are talented, they'll be able to find work in the industry. Writers, Radio Host, TV Host, Choreographers, Solo Careers (Rare, but could happen), ect...

@ragdollpurps: What did you listen to?

d^_^b

#28 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Hehe! Nothing wrong with liking K-Pop. xD Do you listen to any J-Pop though? That's pretty catchy too. =O

@samimista said:

That really is sad. Especially since people do go through it to pursue their dreams despite how cruel it is. Especially since they have to put a facade on and pretend to be someone they're not. =(

#29 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yeah, but it's not the 'manliest' music to listen to...

Super Junior - U (2006)

d^_^b

#30 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Exo - Growl (Chinese Ver.) (2013)

Exo - Growl (Korean Ver.) (2013)

d^_^b

#31 Edited by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate K-pop. This video has 1,727,636,989 views most of the people who watched it don't understand what he is saying or recognize that he is Kim Jong-Un in disguise..

A song like this with meaning only has 11,945,266. I'm not saying that isn't a lot of views it's just that compared to a song that I originally mistakened as condom style it has less views.

This song also has a great meaning but only has 226,380.

#32 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: The guy with the pink hair is kinda cute. xD Do you listen to any Japanese rock bands? =O I like The Gazette.

#33 Posted by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: The guy with the pink hair is kinda cute. xD Do you listen to any Japanese rock bands? =O I like The Gazette.

Japanese rock?

#34 Edited by KodaChan (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I do!! I'm Japanese and I enjoy tons of k-pop

#35 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Japanese rock?

Gackt's one of the biggest Japanese rockstars. He's been quite the inspiration for Nomura's character designs actually. =O

#36 Posted by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy said:

@samimista said:

Japanese rock?

Gackt's one of the biggest Japanese rockstars. He's been quite the inspiration for Nomura's character designs actually. =O

I'm not familiar with this Nomura guy. I prefer american/british rock most the time does this Gackt guy sound like anyone I might no or like.

#37 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy:

Well, that's just like any pop music. Their songs (and groups) that have meaning, as well as the average bubblegum pop songs. K pop is just leaking with the latter. But many have deeper songs. (Don't that sound so familiar?)

Brown Eyed Girls - Cleansing Cream (2011?)

@samimista:

That's Luhan

Yeah, I listen to some Jrock. But, because my little sister it my window into all of these genres, I know what she knows. So, I know 'Visual Kei' (Which is kind of weird)

Kiryu

Paradise

Danger Gang

1 Ok Rock (Not Vsual Kei)

If you want a Krock group, their is 'TRAX'. In their beginning years, they were a cool Nu Metal/Alternative band. Then their label changed them into a Pop Rock band.

TRAX - Paradox (2006)

d^_^b

#38 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Paradise is awesome! G-Dragon I've started to listen to. And on the side note I didn't receive notification on these two mentions. 0.0 Sorry for the late reply then. =O

@thespideyguy: He's the character designer of Final Fantasy and creator of Kingdom Hearts. I don't listen to too much Japanese rock but it can be catchy. =O

#39 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yea, me neither

Do you listen to his rap, or pop songs?

d?_?b

#40 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yea, me neither

Do you listen to his rap, or pop songs?

d?_?b

I'm terribly sorry for the overdue reply! xD Never got a notification of this. =O I prefer his pop songs since they're very catchy. ^__^ Was actually dancing to Heartbreaker around 130 AM this morning. xD Lollipop by BigBang is catchy too! 0.0 Have you listened to Butterfly? That's one of his soothing songs.

Gaho is absolutely adorable. 0.0 I was watching videos of him last night. =O I think by now he's real big though? So cute as a puppy. Didn't know G Dragon is a fan of SpongeBob. xD

#41 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yeah, Heartbreaker is one of my favorite songs by him.

I first heard Butterfly in a fan video about him and Gaho. Ever since, I associate that song with Gaho

I'm a big fan of Big Bang

Big Bang - Beautiful Hangover (2010)

Big Bang - Tell Me Goodbye (2010)

Big Bang - Long Song (2011)

d^_^b

#42 Edited by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Hehe! xD I wish I had a dog like Gaho. He's so cute with his wrinkles! 0.0 Maybe we'll steal him! =O

Ooh! 8D Thank you I will give those a listen. So addicted to Heartbreaker right now. xD G Dragon kinda reminds me of Prompto with his outfits and personality. =O

#43 Edited by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yeah, he does remind me of Prompto...

G Dragon is very talented. Singing, Rapping, Writing, Producing, Modeling (?, if one considers that a talent). I think he's worth all 8Mil that he is...

d^_^b

#44 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yeah, he does remind me of Prompto...

G Dragon is very talented. Singing, Rapping, Writing, Producing, Modeling (?, if one considers that a talent). I think he's worth all 8Mil that he is...

d^_^b

I read that he's been in the music industry since he was like 8? 0.0 What a long time. I wonder if he ever feels lonely though with how many people know him. =( He seems like a real nice guy. I saw a video of him and BigBang responding to fanmail online and G was upset that he got none. xD

He certainly is a great model too! =D I wish he'd be more natural. Must be a lot to keep up with hair dye and makeup. 0.0

#45 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Yeah, he started in the early YG Family.

I heard his hair was messed up once from all the dyeing.

d^_^b

#46 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: Aw. I hope it's nothing serious. D= I know the chemicals may of been a bit harsh. D'aw! Gaho is adorable. <3

He always looks so tired Gaho. xD

#47 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

What's your thoughts on Kpop in the U.S's mainstream

d^_^b

#48 Posted by Samimista (20932 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay: I'd love if more K-Pop bands would tour here. =O Though that might take a toll on em. 0.0 It seems Gangnam Style was a big craze a year ago here though.

#49 Edited by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, Some do tour here, they'll go to either LA or NY. They don't do much here because our currency is so much higher then theirs. I heard that JYP (The third biggest label in K pop) sent themselves into dept after trying to push the 'Wonder Girls' in America.

d^_^b

#50 Posted by superstay (10451 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista:

Here's something that'll make you happy. Usually, a kpop idol can easily stay in the industry in the background. A lot of ex-idols still work as writers, choreographers, publishers, or owners/creators or their own labels...

d^_^b