#1 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

It's no secret that people with... particular, passionate interests in certain activities have had, in the past, difficulty being accepted in life. As readers of comics, players of video or tabletop games, readers of fantasy or science fiction literature, we've been dubbed "geeks" or "nerds". Even being especially intelligent or adept in certain fields of education have been sufficient to earn the title, and the stigma that it brings.

But, in this most recent generation, things are starting to change. "Geek culture" is becoming more and more popular. Hollywood is taking our beloved superheroes and turning them into blockbusters. And you don't have to be a dweeb to play video games. Even "cool" comics, like Sandman, are totally acceptable in today's culture.

So we're rising to power, using our skills and passion and intellect to rise up the ranks and expand in number almost exponentially. Also, a few very special anthems have been written for us -- which do you most closely associate with, and think should be the face of geek culture?

Felicia Day/The Guild -- "I'm the One That's Cool"

I Fight Dragons -- "The Geeks will Inherit the Earth"

Jonathan Coulton -- "The Future Soon"

#3 Posted by Irishlad (572 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Geeks Will Inherit the Earth although the others are awesome as well

#4 Posted by wildvine (8918 posts) - - Show Bio

The future soon, all the way. : )

#5 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it should be Real World by Matchbox 20.

Story of my life.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Irishlad said:

I voted Geeks Will Inherit the Earth although the others are awesome as well

same because I'v actually heard it before

#7 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#8 Posted by Sorceror_Swift (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Geeks will inherit the Earth.

#9 Posted by andrewtheking (960 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@andrewtheking said:

#11 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

Burmp.

#12 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't it be Nerds will inherit the Earth? Geeks are just socially vulnerable in general, that doesn't make them all smart.

#13 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dracade102: The line between the two terms is so thin now, there's no point even searching for it. For all intents and purposes, geek and nerd have become synonymous.