• 52 results
#1 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

Off-Topic Forum

As most of us know, the Off-Topic Forum is suppose to be a place for everybody to chill down, or talk about matters other than comic books. This is a place for almost anything else other than comics, and, as the title suggests, Off-Topic threads. But, what classifies as an appropriate Off-Topic thread, and an inappropriate Off-Topic thread? The answer is tricky and can sometimes even confuse non-newcomers, and this is what this guide is for.

Information

Appropriate Off-Topic threads are usually games, news, or rating systems for other Viners. They usually contain little to no inappropriate information that would offend anyone, or may contain some mature content, but is made clear in the title. However, make sure that the thread is not too obscene, and remember, all general rules still apply to every thread, in any Forum Board. A good reminder, is the Big 6.

1. Will this offend anyone of any race, age group, religon, or any parents/guardians?
  2. Is this too violent, or contain too much sexual content?
  3. Is there any excessive language in my thread?
  4. Is this the right forum to post this in?
  5. Has this thread been made before?
  6. Will Viners actually take this topic seriously, or will it go out of hand?

What to do to an Inappropriate Off-Topic Thread

1. Simply flag it and exit the thread. Do not comment on it or you will technically be bumping it. Avoid any type of needless attention towards the thread.
  2. If you cannot flag it, then PM a mod about it and give them the link to the thread you tried to flag, or at least give them the name of it.
  3. If all else fails and the thread is still gaining attention and not being dealt with for a long period of time, keep ignoring it, but whatever you do, do not post in it.

Types of Appropriate Off-Topic Threads

Games

This Movie or That Movie »

The person to post the last comment wins: Round 2 »

Who is the avatar above you? »

Ranking Systems

Rate the importance of the user above you »

Rate the Background Image of the User above you. »

Rate the Avatar above you »

Questions

What are you listening to? »

The Worst Character You Saw In Comics »

How Are You Feeling Right Now ( With An Image ) »

Ask [username]

Ask majestic99 »

Ask ReVamp! »

Ask Wildvine (Blog post) »

[topic] Thread

The Gaming Thread »

Derp Face Thread »

The Creepy Thread »

Others

Most Epic Last Stands..... »

Doctor Who Pond Life - Season 7 prequel »

My Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Review- 360 Edition! (Blog post) »

Types of Inappropriate Off-Topic Threads

Duplicate/Already Done Threads

If they were made on accident then they are excused.

Viners, Do You Watch Red vs Blue? »

Why did you join Comic Vine? »

Which debaters do you think are keeping the battles forum alive? »

Offensive Threads

Imagine racist Southerners in Brooklyn »

off my mind: superman in bed (Blog post) »

Why are Non-Whites exacting veneance »

Unnecessary Threads

Did Michael Jackson only sell because he was black or white? »

RE: Is Anyone Black And Not Attracted To Black Women? (Blog post) »

How is Batman and Spiderman Superhuman? »

Troll Threads

Is superman real? »

Awesome (Blog post) »

Robert Hanssen »

Wrong Forum Threads

Pre-Crisis Superman vs. Princess Celestia (Blog post) »

Why doesnt my flag button work? »

Ultimate Match Up »

#2 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Nice Emile avatar :D

#3 Edited by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Wait. I thought only mods make these threads? Did a mod ask you to do this or something?

Wait. What???? Why are my threads bad?

Edit: I just saw. It was a reply to mine.

Double edit: No, my Brooklyn thread is there. I understand though. Don't know how it's offensive.

#4 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Nice Emile avatar :D

Thanks lol.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Wait. I thought only mods make these threads? Did a mod ask you to do this or something?

Wait. What???? Why are my threads bad?

Edit: I just saw. It was a reply to mine.

You have to get it approved but I PM'ed the mods and they generally accepted it. Now they have to approve to sticky it or not.

I got another one : Bumping : When To Do It And When To Not (NEW USERS MUST READ!!!) »

"Be water my friend"

#5 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

So are we still allowed to talk politics and religion?

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by AssertingValor (5382 posts) - - Show Bio

Usefull

#8 Posted by JediXMan (29628 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh...

#9 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

You're becoming one of them.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"This is one step for mods and and a giant leap for YNCG"

#10 Posted by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang you made another one?

#11 Edited by Frenemy (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: You should ask a mod to anchor this :3

#12 Posted by joewell (6259 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

bump

i added some one

#13 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

bump

i added some one

Who?

"Be water my friend"

#14 Posted by YoungJustice (6682 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'm making one of these.............

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

Yeah I'm making one of these.............

Good luck and stay gold.

"Be water my friend"

#16 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so glad there's finally updated rules. Particularly for this section of the site that was desperately needed to become more strict and tight on security.

#17 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe now people will cut down on rhetorical question threads.

#18 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

This is probably the best new Off-Topic thread I've seen in a while.

#19 Posted by superstay (9649 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek:

YAY my thread is featured in a top thread(sorry I don't know what they call these threads that sit at the top of a forum). d^_^b

#20 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

How long does it take for you to become a mod?

#21 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit, your topic was not that bad...

No, no, no, I didn't mean that

#22 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: No! You have another one? You're becoming a mod, and I'll be forced to think you're less awesome.

#23 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Congrats on getting this anchored.

#24 Posted by MrDirector786 (43411 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

How long does it take for you to become a mod?

Time doesn't matter. Static and Vance were probably among the first people to join this site and they only became mods like a year ago (maybe a little less than that actually). Mercy_, Morpheus_, and Razzatazz joined after them and have also become mods. In fact, Morph became a mod before any of the others I just listed and he joined like a year after me.

#25 Posted by SilverGalford (3260 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Will this offend anyone of any race or religion?

probably not many threads , but the viners will do

#26 Edited by Raiiyn (3449 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why this is a "must-read" or why we need to promote inappropriate threads? Why are we advertising things that have been offensive? It's like a neon sign "hey, everyone, READ THIS!" And why are we making race, religion or people taking things seriously such a huge no, no? Does that mean the religion thread should be locked or deleted? Cause umm that has been around for ages. And there have been numerous threads where people have been able to discuss things such as politics or religion like mature human beings. If these were actual rules, many FREQUENTED threads wouldn't be around. And your choices of appropriate or inappropriate... very much hypocritical. Also, I don't understand why you are qualified to make these rules. Or why something this ridiculous is pinned.

Also... why single out new users? Old users break real rules too. Way to segregate!

This thread wreaks of tyranny!

Edit:

And if anything, this should be re-pinned: http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/fadetoblackbolt/is-your-thread-worth-making-a-guideline-for-new-threads/87-81696/

Much more relevant.

#28 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (9956 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frenemy said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: You should ask a mod to anchor this :3

Why do you hurt me so, Frenny?

*cry*

#29 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raiiyn said:

I don't understand why this is a "must-read" or why we need to promote inappropriate threads? Why are we advertising things that have been offensive? It's like a neon sign "hey, everyone, READ THIS!" And why are we making religion or people taking things seriously such a huge no, no? Does that mean the religion thread should be locked or deleted? Cause umm that has been around for ages. And there have been numerous threads where people have been able to discuss things such as politics or religion like mature human beings. If these were actual rules, many FREQUENTED threads wouldn't be around. And your choices of appropriate or inappropriate... very much hypocritical. Also, I don't understand why you are qualified to make these rules. Or why you think it's your job to try and get as popular as possible without actually contributing much to comic vine, since we all know these rules haven't helped anything at all. Or why something this ridiculous is pinned.

Also... why single out new users? Old users break real rules too. Way to segregate!

Edit:

And if anything, this should be re-pinned: http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/fadetoblackbolt/is-your-thread-worth-making-a-guideline-for-new-threads/87-81696/

Much more relevant.

Actually, I do personally not think this thread actually serves much purpose, because of a few points you actually mentioned. I bolded them. I also added one in there because it's pretty much why I left vinersaurs.

Despite the fact I think your post was sarcasm, these are my honest feelings.

#30 Posted by Raiiyn (3449 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Raiiyn said:

I don't understand why this is a "must-read" or why we need to promote inappropriate threads? Why are we advertising things that have been offensive? It's like a neon sign "hey, everyone, READ THIS!" And why are we making religion or people taking things seriously such a huge no, no? Does that mean the religion thread should be locked or deleted? Cause umm that has been around for ages. And there have been numerous threads where people have been able to discuss things such as politics or religion like mature human beings. If these were actual rules, many FREQUENTED threads wouldn't be around. And your choices of appropriate or inappropriate... very much hypocritical. Also, I don't understand why you are qualified to make these rules. Or why you think it's your job to try and get as popular as possible without actually contributing much to comic vine, since we all know these rules haven't helped anything at all. Or why something this ridiculous is pinned.

Edit:

Much more relevant.

Actually, I do personally not think this thread actually serves much purpose, because of a few points you actually mentioned. I bolded them. I also added one in there because it's pretty much why I left vinersaurs.

Despite the fact I think your post was sarcasm, these are my honest feelings.

Not really all that sarcastic. I stand by what I said. Plus, Static already made an entire thread (http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/site-rules-and-faqs/669033/#1) devoted to site rules that new users should read. You know.. Rules from a MOD. Which actually make sense and aren't opinionated or hypocritical.

This thread is pointless.

#31 Posted by Frenemy (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@CozyDaPrynce: lol it's not my fault you made an unnecessary thread :P

#32 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like a grammatical error "Do not comment on it or you technically be bumping it." :]

#33 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

Looks like a grammatical error "Do not comment on it or you technically be bumping it." :]

Thanks for that fix :)

#34 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek:

You're welcome. :]

#35 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: So would it be okay to tell an appropriate childhood story about myself?

#36 Posted by russellmania77 (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

ya i messed up a few times. i shall try not to do so again

#37 Posted by tasir (303 posts) - - Show Bio

is nudity allowed as long as its not to graphic

#38 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@tasir said:

is nudity allowed as long as its not to graphic

Nudity in any form is not allowed on any of the public forum boards on Comic Vine.

#39 Posted by JeffThePunisher (4 posts) - - Show Bio

cool tricks. thanks for posting.

#40 Posted by addikhabbo (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#41 Posted by KingOfAsh (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

What about uploading pictures that have swearwords in them? For example...

#42 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Knightsofdarkness (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is viners? I'm new here

#44 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness: Viner is another word for the users on this website. Since the site is called Comic Vine, their users are dubbed Viners. Also, regarding the post limit, you can post freely around 25 or so posts.

#45 Posted by SSdeadlyvirus (29 posts) - - Show Bio

cool i'll remember to the best of my ability. and there's no "introduction" thread?

#46 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (1392 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, but can we make introduction threads?

#47 Posted by Stealth_Warrior (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha!Gonna bump this thread.

#48 Posted by Stealth_Warrior (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha!Gonna bump this thread.

#49 Posted by The_Deathstroker (5526 posts) - - Show Bio