Obomba wants you to vote, by force

• 84 results
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/18/obama-calls-mandatory-voting-us/

By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Wednesday, March 18, 2015

President Obama, whose party was trounced in last year’s midterm election due in part to poor turnout among Democrats, endorsed the idea of mandatory voting Wednesday.

“It would be transformative if everybody voted,” Mr. Obama said during a town-hall event in Cleveland. “That would counteract [campaign] money more than anything. If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country.”

Mr. Obama raised the subject during a discussion of curbing the influence of campaign donations in U.S. elections. The president said he had never discussed the idea publicly before, but said Australia and some other countries have compulsory voting.

SEE ALSO: Obama hits GOP for ‘trickle-down’ budget plan

The president didn’t commit to pushing a mandatory voting initiative at the federal level but said, “that may end up being a better strategy in the short term” than finding a solution to curbing campaign donations.

Australia is one of 11 nations worldwide with mandatory voting. Australians who fail to vote can be fined, or even jailed for repeatedly not casting a ballot.

The president repeated his frequent complaint that Democrats tend to stay home in midterm elections. Last November, Republicans regained control of the Senate and added seats to their majority in the House despite Mr. Obama’s massive fundraising efforts for his party.

SEE ALSO: Obama humiliated as top allies rush to join China’s development bank

“The people who tend not to vote are young, they’re lower income, they’re skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups,” Mr. Obama said. “And they’re the folks who are scratching and climbing to get into the middle class and they’re working hard. There’s a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls. We should want to get them into the polls.”

General election voter turnout for the 2014 midterms was 36.4 percent, the lowest in any election cycle since World War II, according to the United States Election Project.

In the presidential election year of 2012, about 58.2 percent of eligible voters went to the polls. Mr. Obama defeated Republican Mitt Romney, 51.1 percent to 47.2 percent — a margin of about 5 million votes.

But in House races nationwide last November, about 5 million more Republican voters cast ballots than Democratic voters.

The president, who raised $1.1 billion for his re-election, said the “blitzkrieg” of campaign spending is “bad for our democracy.”

“I speak as somebody who has raised a lot of money,” Mr. Obama said. “I’m very good at it. It just degrades our democracy generally.”

Referring to the Supreme Court’s “Citizens United” ruling that resulted in increased campaign spending by third-party advocacy groups, the president said it would be difficult to change the law with a Constitutional amendment.

“We have to think about what are other creative ways to reduce the influence of money,” he said. “There are other ways for us to think creatively, and we’ve got to have a better debate about how we make our democracy better and encourage more participation.”

Mr. Obama also said the process of gerrymandering is harmful to democracy.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

*Obama

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jeez i wonder if this has to do with the 2014 election

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mysticmedivh

Obomba

LOL.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cream_God
Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn that Obomba, Barrack should really do something about him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No gracias Obama. Though I agree that campaign fundraising and spending is a questionable practice in some ways.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

K.

ThanosRulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

obama want to make r nation comunist and take away our guns and undo all the stuff our founding fathers fought for. so this just icing on the cake.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not old enough to vote, but I feel like I'd be too lazy regardless. I'm quite bored by politics, and mandatory voting would be terrible.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

obama want to make r nation comunist and take away our guns and undo all the stuff our founding fathers fought for. so this just icing on the cake.

You've worked out the Master Plan!!! Communism is founded on the basic idea that everyone votes for a democratic leader...

Some countries already have compulsory voting, its not that bad you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the hell is Obomba?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm for it, the reason why I'm not involved in the voting process is because there is so much money in politics, I feel my vote doesn't mean squat.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obomba...is that a play on words OP? :)

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give us somebody worth voting for.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

OBOMBA!

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

We have mandatory voting here. It's not a big deal.

Joe_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obomba? Hahahah omg

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

While I am sure many republicans will now attack him because they will see it as an attack on 'free choice'... it would be good to remember that (unless its not possible with the screens US uses now) you should still technically be able to vote blank.

That said, considering how low turnout is for those midterm elections (it's so low I wonder if they would be considered valid internationally), which are also hugely important to how the US government works, I can understand why it would be a good idea to have mandatory voting. The House of Representative and the Senate are, after all, also supposed to reflect the entirety of the population.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rubear
No Caption Provided

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obomba ? Is that like the Skrull version of President Obama ?

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ridiculous.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

reminds me of that South Park episode, the one with the "giant douche vs turd sandwich" ordeal

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Who's Obomba? Is he related to Barraco Barner?

No Caption Provided

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: xD

Should have voted for barraco barner

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad idea

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#31  Edited By BatWatch

Nothing helps the nation make better decisions more than forcing everyone too lazy to vote on their own to vote. Those who spend zero time considering politics always make the most informed political decisions.

Seriously guys, mandatory voting is supposed to combat the corporate money flooding Washington? That money goes largely to the ads that flood the airwaves every two years, and do you know who those ads influence? The stupid vote. People who actually have well thought out ideologies and carefully considered principles are not swayed by smear campaigns and thirty second political promises, but the idiots who don't know the difference in an Elephant and a Donkey are.

Mandating voting would be a boon to every politician who wants a large group of gullible voters to manipulate. If you are too lazy and disinterested to vote, then we don't need your vote.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never heard of this Obomba.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cave_Duck

@batwatch:

Stupid people need political representation too...

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't live in the US ehehehehe.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't live in the US ehehehehe.

lucky you... :S

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it came to a vote it would never pass. Republicans know that when people turn out to vote in large numbers it's bad news for them. Hell, just look at how hard they try to keep minorities and the poor from voting. Now, imagine that x10.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BatWatch

@willpayton:

If you believe the people too lazy and disinterested in civic responsibility to vote on their own would vote for Democrats if given a vote or die command, that would not fill me with great pride in the Democrat Party.

The Democrats - "Where the stupid and lazy find a political home...when someone forces them to be responsible!" Good slogan.

Keep in mind that I do not think Democrats are stupid and lazy in general. I'm just following your assertion that stupid and lazy people like Democrats.

@cave_duck:

Ha! Stupid people have plenty of representatives in Washington.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will mean only one thing: no Republican president ever.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men" - Plato

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

Nothing helps the nation make better decisions more than forcing everyone too lazy to vote on their own to vote. Those who spend zero time considering politics always make the most informed political decisions.

Seriously guys, mandatory voting is supposed to combat the corporate money flooding Washington? That money goes largely to the ads that flood the airwaves every two years, and do you know who those ads influence? The stupid vote. People who actually have well thought out ideologies and carefully considered principles are not swayed by smear campaigns and thirty second political promises, but the idiots who don't know the difference in an Elephant and a Donkey are.

Mandating voting would be a boon to every politician who wants a large group of gullible voters to manipulate. If you are too lazy and disinterested to vote, then we don't need your vote.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 vance_astro  Moderator

Leave me alone, Obama...

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Superguy1591

When did he say he wanted to force people to vote?

I'm tired of this guy

Man, everytime I read one of his threads my IQ drops.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

@willpayton:

If you believe the people too lazy and disinterested in civic responsibility to vote on their own would vote for Democrats if given a vote or die command, that would not fill me with great pride in the Democrat Party.

The Democrats - "Where the stupid and lazy find a political home...when someone forces them to be responsible!" Good slogan.

Keep in mind that I do not think Democrats are stupid and lazy in general. I'm just following your assertion that stupid and lazy people like Democrats.

@cave_duck:

I never said the words "stupid" or "lazy" or even implied it. I said "minorities" and "poor". The fact that you read what I wrote and understand "stupid" and "lazy" says something about you and your mentality, not about Democrats.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#49  Edited By dngn4774

@johnfrank120 said:

"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men" - Plato

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary" -James Madison, Federalist No. 51

@superguy1591 He didn't. You could also tell in the first half of the first sentence that the source was biased and the writer probably exaggerated all claims to their most polarizing effect to entertain his readers.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

@willpayton:

@cave_duck:

I never said the words "stupid" or "lazy" or even implied it. I said "minorities" and "poor". The fact that you read what I wrote and understand "stupid" and "lazy" says something about you and your mentality, not about Democrats.

What you said was that if voting were mandated, it would benefit the Democrat party. Those who don't vote now are either too lazy or too politically stupid to vote on their own initiative. Those are the people you claim will rally to your side.

You also made a comment about how Republicans are trying to suppress minorities and the poor, an inaccurate statement I was not addressing.