NYPD cop puts a man in a chokehold. Man dies.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@The_Deathstroker: Why are you getting so worked up? You're reminding me of my self. :3

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@force_echo: I saw that earlier, doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. I'd like to see you try to live in a world without police officers. I really would. Then I'd get to see you, and all your smart@ss friends take that back. People like you make me sick, and sad that I live in this world. I won't respond to your next post, so don't expect a rebuttal. @jezer: I told you to tell me what you are in my second response..... I never said it had to be one of the two

So because your group provides a valuable service it should be left unquestioned and unchallenged? Good to know. Sorry that I make you sick for daring to criticize a group.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303  Edited By Jezer

@cable_extreme said:

@jezer: your argument is based on the premise of uncertainty. If you can bring me the more in depth code of conduct, then I will have no problem saying they acted agaisn't policy (if it explains that a coratid restraint or cutting blood flow from and too the brain etc..) or something to that effect, however, so far I am convinced it does not.

What you have so far is assumptions. Assumptions about how they might know more than they give to the public, there might be rules and regulations that the public somehow doesn't have access to, and that the commissioner is god and whatever he says is what I should think. (Meant as a joke, but somewhat true)

I have a hard time accepting your argument because there is still no policy that is clearly broken, which is why I support their action.

Eh, actually...my argument is based on the premise of certainty that the NYPD Commissioner is familiar with the department he is a commissioner of. More familiar than you. That is certain lol

my argument is essentially that nothing relevant that you know invalidated the statements of the Commissioner speaking on behalf of the NYPD to the press. You have no reason to disagree with him; For the reasons we've argued back and forth and you've ultimately fallen to saying "well I dont know the policy, so I dont know if what he says is true". Lol, I don't need to prove he knows what he's talking about, it's a safe assumption since he is of the position and authority to know what he's talking about.

Ultimately, you're asserting uncertainty of his statements. I'm asserting he is more likely to be correct than you. Your job was to somehow shed doubt on him. I'm asserting that you have no knowledge/position/authority to disagree with him and nothing you've said sheds doubt on him(now that I've refuted everything you've brought forth). I'm correct.

Let me correct you again, you meant to say "I have a hard time accepting your argument because I don't know if there is a policy that is clearly broken"---You can't assert that there is "no policy clearly broken" from a base of ignorance/not knowing the policy well enough.... ('-' )

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's a /thread

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jezer: So you're one 'em "f*ck the police" guys, eh? That's the only reason I can think of for why you won't just flat out tell me what you are.

Loading Video...

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By MonsterStomp
cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#308  Edited By cameron83

@The_Deathstroker said:

@force_echo: I saw that earlier, doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. I'd like to see you try to live in a world without police officers. I really would. Then I'd get to see you, and all your smart@ss friends take that back. People like you make me sick, and sad that I live in this world. I won't respond to your next post, so don't expect a rebuttal. @jezer: I told you to tell me what you are in my second response..... I never said it had to be one of the two

While I don't at all agree with the people or the phrase "f*ck the police" or the generalizations behind it,that doesn't mean that it's unreasonable for people (especially a certain group,depending on who we're talking about,but usually the ones that are targets of abuse by the specific cops in question) to have some sort of uneasiness around them. It's not like every cop is the Knight in Armor that some people make them out to be,there are far too many acts of police brutality and power abuse. At the same time,that shouldn't apply to all cops,and I can't even say most.

So while a world without police officers or some sort of law enforcement would be far worse,it doesn't really change the fact that many officers might as well make it such that that world exists since they abuse their power (many times with impunity).

Basically,I don't think a person should generalize all of them (so I can't really say all are "good"/"bad" by my standards),but at the same time,a person shouldn't be naive. (not really grouping you in either category,just explaining that a person questioning those in power isn't really outrageous,especially when many of them could care less about the responsibilities of being a cop)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91

@force_echo said:

@cable_extreme said:

@force_echo: you read him his Miranda rights when being placed in a car, not while you are arresting, and the guy died in case you didn't see...

And he was resisting, at 1:17 the video skips to him being arrested, hard to say he wasn't told he was being arrested, part of the video was edited out.

Do you know literally anything about the law? I think you've watched far too much Cops lol. There's nothing significant about putting a criminal in the back of a police car that requires the reading of Miranda Rights. There is nothing anywhere that says "Miranda Rights are read when placing a criminal into a police car". Miranda Rights are read when you arrest someone, placing a suspect in the back of a police car is a completely irrelevant event. But I guess if a cop doesn't have a police car nearby the suspect is just not read his rights. "Sorry Dude, we would love for you to know what your rights are, but there isn't a cop car nearby, we can't do it." Utterly ridiculous. I really hope you're not considering going into law or law enforcement.

He was not resisting. The only time he was resisting arrest was when the cops already tackled him for resisting arrest. That's not the way the law works. You don't get to shoot someone for possession of a firearm, and then shoot them again for possession of a firearm when they actually fire back at you.

A cop only has to read you your Miranda rights when in Custodial custody and being questioned to the specifics of a crime. If I place you under arrest and ask where you live? I don't have to read them since that is a question anyone can ask and is public knowledge to acquire. If I arrest you and ask where were you on the night of Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 at 1930 hours? Then I would have to read you your Miranda rights since that is a very specific question.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: The picture represents an idiot.

The cops did something illegal and they killed him. You are not supposed to attack a man like that. There is nothing inbetween, only the two extremes. The cops deserve no mercy or consideration. If they had intended to hurt the poor fellow, they wouldn't have piled on top of him while the other cop choked him out. If you guys didn't believe in police brutality, then why would mke excuses for them? You make stabs at my analytical skills, but I was replying to someone else with my questions on why he believed that the cops were righteous.

Of course that wasn't their first intention, but what they did is still wrong and they ultimately did kill the man unrighteously. The cops went overboard for no reason and they didn't have enough sense to back off when it was obvious that the guy wasn't especially strong or really trying too hard even resist. The cop put him in a chokehold and obviously had him restrained ( by the way, the chokehold wasn't even necessary), but why did they need a bunch of extra officers to get on top of him and contribute to what led to his death? They were trying to kill him, or at least hurt him ( making an example out of him). It should have been obvious to the cops that he wasn't a threat and didn't need to be dogpiled on. Hell, the guy stil had him in a chokehold whilst on the ground. The other cops had him down, he could have at least let go of the man who was getting strangled. They made a purposeely poor descision and deserve no mercy if they get into legal trouble for what they have done. Their actions properly showed what their intention was.

Hell, a bunch of white cops going overboard on a big black male for no reason does not surprise me and I should probably assume that they had negative motives fromt he start. I know what type of people they are and I would not be surprised if they targeted him.

The cops actually only violated policy. They did not break the law, in fact the suspect did, hence why the cops where placing him under arrest and in the struggle he lost his life due to his health conditions. You use the word attack loosely here, the NYPD were attempting to control him while placing him under arrest. If they were attacking him, they would of been throwing punches, elbows, batons, etc.

Back off? Yeah I'll remember that when I'm placing someone under arrest. When they ask why I didn't arrest that man who killed someone, I'll respond, " well he told me to back off." You have any idea how ludicrous that sounds?

Why did they need that many officers there? Idk but I'm willing to bet it is because of his 31 previous times for being arrested for drug possession, assault, selling untaxed cigarettes. And the size of him, a man of that size I'd rather have more officers there than have to resort to a taser or some more lethal object, since he was resisting. Power can come from numbers.

Trying to kill him? How do you know? I know cops don't wake up and go, " I feel like killing people today!" They would never pass the psych evaluation.

Everyone is a threat until you have searched them for weapons and are in the back of a patrol car.

The cop let go of the choke hold when they went to the ground, when the other officers arrive, you see his arm loosening up.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

f$ck da police!

Seriously though, they need way more accountability and regulation before they do any good. Especially the racist bastards in Montreal ^.^

I wish things like this article could still surprise me.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By cameron83

@raiiyn said:

f$ck da police!

Seriously though, they need way more accountability and regulation before they do any good. Especially the racist bastards in Montreal ^.^

I wish things like this article could still surprise me.

You have no idea how much I agree with this statement. And it's honestly sad

*continues watching Community bloopers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#316 SC  Moderator

@generator2000: Looks like you put a fair bit of effort into your post, so its a shame that you resorted to swearing at another user. Thus your post will be deleted. Extremely inappropriate and unwanted behavior as well. If you can't remain civil with other users, then don't address other users. Will keep a thread from becoming too hostile and prevent yourself from being warned or banned. You will have a temporary three day ban, when you return to CV remember to exercise more patience and civility please. Thank you.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: it's actually not that bad in here. but it is true that pretty much every time a white guy does something bad tp a black guy everyone loses their mind.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: but really no one would care if it was a white guy that was killed

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By cameron83

@hylian said:

@jaken7: it's actually not that bad in here. but it is true that pretty much every time a white guy does something bad tp a black guy everyone loses their mind.

-________-

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

Regardless, your comment was extremely ignorant and out of line.

And no one even mentioned race in regards to this subject. You're the one that brought it up! You're fueling the very thing you claim to be condemning.The dude just happened to be black. So what? It would be an outrageous abuse of power and perpetuation of excessive force if it was done to a man of any color.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@hylian said:

And no one even mentioned race in regards to this subject. You're the one that brought it up! You're fueling the very thing you claim to be condemning.The dude just happened to be black. So what? It would be an outrageous abuse of power and perpetuation of excessive force if it was done to a man of any color.

It's odd that most times I hear the "if it were a white guy" or any "What If...." scenario regarding things like this that race usually isn't brought up first or even discussed.

And I don't think that his comment is even true,and it really ignores the actual matter at hand

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By magnablue

@jaken7 said:

@hylian said:

It's odd that most times I hear the "if it were a white guy" or any "What If...." scenario regarding things like this that race usually isn't brought up first or even discussed.

And I don't think that his comment is even true,and it really ignores the actual matter at hand

but it is true

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@cameron83: but really no one would care if it was a white guy that was killed

That's the most bullsh*t thing I've ever heard.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By cameron83

@hylian said:

@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

@hylian said:

but it is true

Oh yeah,and it's also true that straight cisgender white men are targeted more for their gender in attacks than transgender people.

#truestory

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: To be fair, there is a precedent there. One of the largest and most destructive riots in history was caused by a black man being beaten by white police officers, and said police officers being acquitted of all charges. If Rodney King had been white, there would just be the usual outrage against police brutality. But because Rodney King was black (which is why he was beaten in the first place, so the same situation with a white man is highly improbable), it sparked a race debate in this country. That's a good thing though. It wasn't too long ago where innocent black men were being lynched, and no one gave a damn. The fact that we as a nation care now is a sign of progress. And that's what @hylian refuses to understand. There is a reason why it's a big deal when a white person does something bad to a black person, and isn't as big of a deal when a white person does something bad to another white person. He/she isn't taking historical context into consideration.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@cameron83: To be fair, there is a precedent there. One of the largest and most destructive riots in history was caused by a black man being beaten by white police officers, and said police officers being acquitted of all charges. If Rodney King had been white, there would just be the usual outrage against police brutality. But because Rodney King was black (which is why he was beaten in the first place, so the same situation with a white man is highly improbable), it sparked a race debate in this country. That's a good thing though. It wasn't too long ago where innocent black men were being lynched, and no one gave a damn. The fact that we as a nation care now is a sign of progress. And that's what @hylian refuses to understand. There is a reason why it's a big deal when a white person does something bad to a black person, and isn't as big of a deal when a white person does something bad to another white person. He/she isn't taking historical context into consideration.

I'm not saying that such bias doesn't happen,but acting as if black people have such special treatment and white people are the most unrepresented,oppressed,and persecuted race and that no one cares about them compared to minorities is just asinine to me.

Honestly,I can't say I like it when one race is put before another in ANY scenario.

I cannot even say that every single time a white guy dies that no one cares,but suddenly everyone cares when a black guy dies. Couldn't a person say the inverse or vice versa?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

I'm not saying that such bias doesn't happen,but acting as if black people have such special treatment and white people are the most unrepresented,oppressed,and persecuted race and that no one cares about them compared to minorities is just asinine to me.

Honestly,I can't say I like it when one race is put before another in ANY scenario.

I cannot even say that every single time a white guy dies that no one cares,but suddenly everyone cares when a black guy dies. Couldn't a person say the inverse or vice versa?

Oh I completely agree.

Just clarifying things a bit.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By cameron83

@jaken7 said:

@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

Oh I completely agree.

Oh,okay :)

Just sharing my thoughts on the matter,because I see those comments so many times on Youtube that it just makes me depressed thinking about it XD

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generator2000: the stuff you link, the videos are irrelevant to this specific scenario.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: it is usually procedure to read them their rights when they are being taken in, not in the process of arresting them. And he basically died unfortunately before being they were able to read it to him. Did you see them asking him inappropriate questions that they would have had to read his Miranda rights first? No, I didn't.

Also he did resist arrest, yelling don't touch me pulling away, and since the video was edited to arrest (with more officers at the scene than before) how can you be sure they didn't inform him he was being arrested? It is proper to do so, and it seemed as if he knew what was happening, especially after being arrested 31 times before for drug and assault related charges.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 Lunacyde  Moderator

@buttersdaman000 said:

Damn, if I had it my way, every cop involved in that mans death would be in jail for manslaughter.

Good point.

I can agree with involuntary manslaughter.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 Lunacyde  Moderator

@generator2000 said:

@lunacyde: The picture represents an idiot.

The cops did something illegal and they killed him. You are not supposed to attack a man like that. There is nothing inbetween, only the two extremes. The cops deserve no mercy or consideration. If they had intended to hurt the poor fellow, they wouldn't have piled on top of him while the other cop choked him out. If you guys didn't believe in police brutality, then why would mke excuses for them? You make stabs at my analytical skills, but I was replying to someone else with my questions on why he believed that the cops were righteous.

Of course that wasn't their first intention, but what they did is still wrong and they ultimately did kill the man unrighteously. The cops went overboard for no reason and they didn't have enough sense to back off when it was obvious that the guy wasn't especially strong or really trying too hard even resist. The cop put him in a chokehold and obviously had him restrained ( by the way, the chokehold wasn't even necessary), but why did they need a bunch of extra officers to get on top of him and contribute to what led to his death? They were trying to kill him, or at least hurt him ( making an example out of him). It should have been obvious to the cops that he wasn't a threat and didn't need to be dogpiled on. Hell, the guy stil had him in a chokehold whilst on the ground. The other cops had him down, he could have at least let go of the man who was getting strangled. They made a purposeely poor descision and deserve no mercy if they get into legal trouble for what they have done. Their actions properly showed what their intention was.

Hell, a bunch of white cops going overboard on a big black male for no reason does not surprise me and I should probably assume that they had negative motives fromt he start. I know what type of people they are and I would not be surprised if they targeted him.

The cops actually only violated policy. They did not break the law, in fact the suspect did, hence why the cops where placing him under arrest and in the struggle he lost his life due to his health conditions. You use the word attack loosely here, the NYPD were attempting to control him while placing him under arrest. If they were attacking him, they would of been throwing punches, elbows, batons, etc.

Back off? Yeah I'll remember that when I'm placing someone under arrest. When they ask why I didn't arrest that man who killed someone, I'll respond, " well he told me to back off." You have any idea how ludicrous that sounds?

Why did they need that many officers there? Idk but I'm willing to bet it is because of his 31 previous times for being arrested for drug possession, assault, selling untaxed cigarettes. And the size of him, a man of that size I'd rather have more officers there than have to resort to a taser or some more lethal object, since he was resisting. Power can come from numbers.

Trying to kill him? How do you know? I know cops don't wake up and go, " I feel like killing people today!" They would never pass the psych evaluation.

Everyone is a threat until you have searched them for weapons and are in the back of a patrol car.

The cop let go of the choke hold when they went to the ground, when the other officers arrive, you see his arm loosening up.

This is correct. However most police are trained to read the Miranda Right's while cuffing the arrestee so that anything that the arrestee divulges after that point, whether directly questioned by the police or not will be admissible in court.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer: ......lol yes I did.

Nah. You said "are you this or this?" Giving me two options. I said I'm neither. You said "so you're this then? Otherwise I dont know why you won't flat out tell me what you are" seemingly ignoring the fact I said I was neither and seemingly ignoring the idea that I could be something other than one of the two.

I don't fall in either camp and care enough to decide "what I am" in general. My only goal in this thread was to thoroughly refute the most foolish point of view I could stumble upon lol

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By magnablue
@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

Oh I completely agree.

Just sharing my thoughts on the matter,because I see those comments so many times on Youtube that it just makes me depressed thinking about it XD

I agree that in the past segregation did happen and black people were treated horribly. but now everyone has equal rights so now i really don't think that we should favor one race then another. I aslo think that depending on what happen's people should get pissed and start riots. but I think that the media over reacts when black people are treated badly. I think that there should be no discrimination and se whould focus on every major crime that happens. I think that we should look at everyone as if we all have the same skin color. we should judge people by their actions, not what they look like.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:
@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

@cameron83 said:

@jaken7 said:

Oh I completely agree.

I agree that in the past segregation did happen and black people were treated horribly. but now everyone has equal rights so now i really don't think that we should favor one race then another. I aslo think that depending on what happen's people should get pissed and start riots. but I think that the media over reacts when black people are treated badly. I think that there should be no discrimination and se whould focus on every major crime that happens. I think that we should look at everyone as if we all have the same skin color. we should judge people by their actions, not what they look like.

No. Not everyone has equal rights.

You don't think that there should be any discrimination? Good,so do I,man.

I don't think that there should really BE more importance of one race or another in terms of how serious something is taken,but a lot of the times with many people there is (with blacks,whites,asians,etc).

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*P.S.S I'm not defending police brutality or thi guy I'm just stating not all police are bad..just look at Robocop

Robocop wouldn't aprove of this.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By Jezer

Whenever I read/hear someone say that we should act like race doesn't exist or see everyone as having the same skin color, I immediately think of this image

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did anybody actually read the article. There was aggression on both sides. I'm not defending the cops and saying what they did was right but this sin't as black and white as it seems.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@xlr87t3 said:

@thecheesestabber said:

*P.S.S I'm not defending police brutality or thi guy I'm just stating not all police are bad..just look at Robocop

Robocop wouldn't aprove of this.

No he would not. Nor would he approve of Robocop 3 but it still happened

In short, lets build Robocop on kickstarter

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer: Yeah. Read my posts. In my first post I asked you to clarify, I never said you had to say one of the two options I gave you. In my second post I said (direct quote), "That's the only reason I can think of for why you won't just flat out tell me what you are." Once again, I never said "which of the two options," I'm asking what you are, what's your stance besides "thoroughly refuting the most foolish point of view"?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#343  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@The_Deathstroker:

Then I'd get to see you, and all your smart@ss friends take that back. People like you make me sick, and sad that I live in this world. I won't respond to your next post, so don't expect a rebuttal.

...dude are you serious? There is no need to get worked up over this.

Edit: Also, I agree in this casef*ck the police.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer said:

Whenever I read/hear someone say that we should act like race doesn't exist or see everyone as having the same skin color, I immediately think of this image

Damn.....that's deep.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean yeah I killed him... but I got suspended... so we're even...

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

I mean yeah I killed him... but I got suspended... so we're even...

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@The_Deathstroker: Meh. Whatevs dude, I just find getting worked up like this to be completely asinine.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: I agree. That would be true for most other people. I'm just not part of most people in this case.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer: Yeah. Read my posts. In my first post I asked you to clarify, I never said you had to say one of the two options I gave you. In my second post I said (direct quote), "That's the only reason I can think of for why you won't just flat out tell me what you are." Once again, I never said "which of the two options," I'm asking what you are, what's your stance besides "thoroughly refuting the most foolish point of view"?

Eh, I don't know why people try argue obvious things with me....

@jezer: I'm either too tired or too lazy to read because I'm not sure if you're one of 'em "f*ck the police" fellows or just someone that thinks this was too far.

Care to clarify?

When you say "I don't know if you're A or just B", the part where you say "or just" indicates one is trying to speculate something and giving options by process of elimination. The "just" after the or narrows that proceeding option to the final option. Examples: I don't know if he's insane or just a mad genius. I don't know if he's lying or just doesn't know what he's talking about. The "or just" implies a sort of final explanation/option.

If there were more options, a person would say "I don't know if you're A or B". There would be no "just" after the "or".

My response is that it can't be simplified like that(A or just B).

Your response is...

@jezer: So you're one 'em "f*ck the police" guys, eh? That's the only reason I can think of for why you won't just flat out tell me what you are.

...to ignore me saying it can't be simplified, and say that if I don't tell you, the only option that makes sense is one of those two options. Further seemingly implying that there are no other options.

Anyways, to answer you, I don't care enough to make a "stance" beyond everything I've already said.