Nottingham teenager pays £450 for a photo of an Xbox One

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A TEENAGER has been left fuming after mistakenly buying a photo of an in-demand computer console online.

Peter Clatworthy thought he had paid £450 for an XBox One console on eBay, but actually received a picture of one in the post.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

He has now contested the purchase with eBay, which has investigated and stated he should get a full refund from the seller.

Mr Clatworthy said: "I've had to make a joke out of it because I was that angry. At least we've now got something to laugh about in the years to come.

"I always buy stuff on eBay and this had never happened before."

Mr Clatworthy made the purchase on November 28, paying £450 plus £8 packaging.

Despite the listing stating it was a photo of an XBox One Day One edition console, Mr Clatworthy said he'd expected to receive the console as it was listed in the video games and consoles category on eBay.

He said: "It said 'photo' and I was in two minds, but I looked at the description and the fact it was in the right category made me think it was genuine.

"I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal.

"It's obvious now I've been conned out of my money."

Mr Clatworthy received the photo in the post on Monday, saying: "They'd written on the back of it 'thank you for your purchase'. I was fuming."

The XBox One was released in the UK on November 22, with a special Day One edition reserved for those who picked the machine up on its first day of sale.

Since then, there have been reports of people buying empty XBox One packaging via eBay, and paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege.

When the Post searched for 'XBox One Day One edition consoles' on the website yesterday, a number of genuine consoles were up for sale.

There was, however, one lot of 'XBox One Day One edition retail packaging' which received 80 bids and sold for £7,200.

Mr Clatworthy was informed by eBay yesterday that, as he paid via PayPal, he can expect to receive a full refund from the seller, who has until Monday to pay up.

A spokesman for eBay, the online marketplace, said: "We don't allow listings which mislead, and will take action against this seller.

"Customers can shop with confidence on eBay as we guarantee you will get your item or your money back. Mr Clatworthy is covered by the eBay money-back guarantee and we will be contacting him to put things right."

Tessa Coates, Trading Standards Officer at Notts County Council, said: "We are not aware of an eBay scam of this nature.

"However, we would encourage all eBay buyers to pay for their goods using PayPal to give them extra protection.

"PayPal states that if the item doesn't match the seller's description or gets lost in the post then it will give the buyer their money back."

She added: "Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you're getting a good deal, know who you're dealing with and protect your personal and financial information."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warning-student-pays-pound-450-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also £450 is about $734.67

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By IrishX

Brilliant con..... say exactly what your selling.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's....

I don't even know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I will become rich from selling photos on ebay! This is my destiniy!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that sucks.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By consolemaster001

If the seller SAID it was a photo then sorry m8 you deserved it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

"Well it says it's a photo... but it's probably not a photo... right? 'Cause I mean, that would be silly."

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@joygirl said:

"Well it says it's a photo... but it's probably not a photo... right? 'Cause I mean, that would be silly."

It's an honest mistake. The seller obviously confused the prices of the actual xbox with its copy/paste counterpart. Now some poor soul is probably fumin' over his mint-condition xbox for 10p. Oh the inhumanity.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

19 and he has a kid? Wow he got it out of the way early I guess.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TotalBalance

As unfortunate as it is that some people find it alright to pull off these joke 'picture of an item' sales, it is still their right to sell whatever it is they are selling as long as they clearly state what it is they are selling. Given that it quite specifically said it was a picture and not the genuine article it is not the sellers fault, especially considering the purchaser actually even read the description stating it was just a picture. As unfortunate a situation as this is, we can't be coming to the rescue every time a fool gets themselves into a knot because they are incapable of processing logical information.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SheenLantern

More likely he's an inbred chav.

@joygirl said:

QFT. He wasn't mislead, he wasn't conned. it said perfectly well what he was paying for and he ignored it.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dm225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Dm225

He's nineteen with a FOUR year old kid.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dm225 said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

He's nineteen with a FOUR year old kid.

He got that out of the way early ha ha.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That sucks

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By dernman

I ...uh...sigh....

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Hehe! xD Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!