Not being good at math.

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CastletonSnob

I'm worried about my future. I'm no good at math (can't even do algebra) because of a brain injury I had at birth. I guess I won't get a good job.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Can't tell if its a troll thread or..... But if its not, if math isn't your strong suit than find something else you're good at.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Believe it or not, not everything takes math. And either way, lots of people don't even use algebra. For a fact, I have never seen my mother/father be in a realistic situation where they had to do more than division, or something.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vg_addict said:

I'm worried about my future. I'm no good at math (can't even do algebra) because of a brain injury I had at birth. I guess I won't get a good job.

Ignoring the high readings on my troll detection app, I would recommend going to https://www.khanacademy.org/ if you need to improve your math skills in any way.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By nefarious

You will find a subject you are good at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need math to find a good job. However there are many things and programs that can help you improve. If you really care about your future look into them and try your hardest, and focus on a field that requires little math. You are born with certain skills but they aren't fixed, they can always improve to some degree.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

English teacher

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Believe it or not, not everything takes math.

You will find a subject you are good at.

@jayc1324 said:

You don't need math to find a good job. However there are many things and programs that can help you improve. If you really care about your future look into them and try your hardest, and focus on a field that requires little math. You are born with certain skills but they aren't fixed, they can always improve to some degree.

English teacher

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MonsterStomp

I'm pretty good at math, but I won't need it for my future job. Hell, I carry a calculator around.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthAznable

The only math I was bad at was Geometry....sigh I need to take calculus for my Veterinarian degree

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By righteous300

Believe it or not, some degrees require you to take math classes and you won't even use it in your career. I'm a bio major pre-med and I have to go up to Calculus even though in Med school the most i might have to do is simple algebra. Not saying Med school is easy, just that not everything will do with crazy math. It's just something to weed people out. At least that's what I think.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:
No Caption Provided

Well It is used in Physics, Biology and Chemistry (this is as real as you can get), also in Economy and Sociology.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's not that useful in real life, and not that required for a work, unless you want to go to work with specifically aimed projects that require it.

I thought I was good at maths until numbers suddenly became letters lol

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you can do basic addition, subtraction, division and multiplication you'll be fine.

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But there aren't any high paying majors that aren't math.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

become a doctor or a dentist. You won't need a lot of math except for some exames(at least here in Italy). Are these jobs well paid in your country? Here they're quite the best you could ask for.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What all the others said.

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CastletonSnob

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

become a doctor or a dentist. You won't need a lot of math except for some exames(at least here in Italy). Are these jobs well paid in your country? Here they're quite the best you could ask for.

I have ZERO interest in being a doctor.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KittyParker13

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

Not a good idea here in America. Becoming a doctor or dentist requires a lot of Math and Science classes.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vg_addict: You can be a lawyer, a journalist, a teacher or professor, an artist, a chef, a doctor, dentist or vet, a psychologist and a translator (learning a second language, of course) and you shouldn't have to do more than basic math to get you through.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

Not a good idea here in America. Becoming a doctor or dentist requires a lot of Math and Science classes.

oh, really? Almost not a lot of math required here, just science and some algebra for physics.

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Thewhiteronin

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

Actually, a doctor needs to be highly proficient in at least differential equations, or at least possess a good degree of knowledge in calculus. As a doctor, you'll need to calculate the half-life or elimination rate of a lot of medications. If you make a mistake, and you give your patient the wrong dosage as well as the wrong medicine, then you're done, lol. For example, during an emergency, a doctor needs to estimate how much dosage of medicine is left inside of a patient and would need to calculate the appropriate amount of medicine to add into the patient as well as calculate the half-life of the medicine.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you, AG_Addict, knowing math is going to help you get a tremendously high paying job. Math is an essential tool for psychology majors (statistics), computer science majors (that's what I'm doing), medicine, sociology majors (statistics), engineers (obviously), political science majors (statistics), and a lot more.

Study hard and you'll get there.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's why man created calculators.

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

Actually, a doctor needs to be highly proficient in at least differential equations, or at least possess a good degree of knowledge in calculus. As a doctor, you'll need to calculate the half-life or elimination rate of a lot of medications. If you make a mistake, and you give your patient the wrong dosage as well as the wrong medicine, then you're done, lol. For example, during an emergency, a doctor needs to estimate how much dosage of medicine is left inside of a patient and would need to calculate the appropriate amount of medicine to add into the patient as well as calculate the half-life of the medicine.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you, AG_Addict, knowing math is going to help you get a tremendously high paying job. Math is an essential tool for psychology majors (statistics), computer science majors (that's what I'm doing), medicine, sociology majors (statistics), engineers (obviously), political science majors (statistics), and a lot more.

But I had a brain injury at birth that makes me bad at math.

I guess I'm doomed to get a job at a fast food restaurant.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still plenty of other jobs around

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio said:

Still plenty of other jobs around

But none of them are good paying.

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thewhiteronin
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I know that feel bro.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Arrow

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

And then people say that math is not useful.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@vg_addict said:

I have ZERO interest in being a doctor.

well what do you want to do then? Are you just interested in math-related stuff? And does this brain injury only affect math or is more like a disturb that doesn't let you focus on more than a subject?

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vg_addict: Firefighters get paid greatly and the requirements aren't much, plus you'd be saving lives and squirting a machine gun like hose.

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with what @jayc1324: said. There's plenty that you can do without being too good at math, so don't hold yourself back. But if you do want to improve your skills then you always can.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Just carry a calculator. In the real world, you need to have resources, not memorization skills.

CastletonSnob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But most of the physical sciences require calculus, and so do the social sciences.

I don't want a major in English, foreign languages, history, or sociology.