• 55 results
Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Did anybody notice that the recently released film "Noah" was banned by several Middle East countries(Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait) not so much because its director(and at least one of its cast members, Darren Aronofsky and Jennifer Connelly respectively) are Jewish(although this hardly helped the film's prospects anyway) but because it was allegedly blasphemous in depicting Noah who in Islam is considered to be a prophet.

Myview is that if Muslim/Arab countries wish to ban this film or any other on allegedly "blasphemous" grounds then that is their sovereign prerogative but attempting to prohibit its showing in predominantly "infidel" societies where Muslims make up a minority(Britain, France, USA) is WAY out of line!

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

I thought that was because the movie flat out stated that the people from the Middle East had descended from Cain and had ruined the world or something along those lines. I haven't seen the movie yet mind you, that is what people told me about it so I am not sure.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine008

I sense.... A religious debate in the mist.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Meh... I don't live there. I can still watch it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. If you don't like something in a country of freedom, then that's too bad. Don't push your views on others. If you're that desperate then go back to your country.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inverno: My guess would be that since drawing the faces of prophets is forbidden in the religion of Islam (and Noah was a prophet). They probably felt it was blasphemous to do so and not okay to view it. They were probably like "We don't know what Prophet Noah looked like but he DEFINITELY didn't look like the guy from a beautiful mind"

That's just my guess

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

*sigh*

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Darling_Luna
No Caption Provided

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Bible movies usually get banned in the Middle East so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their choice

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

SANTA MARIA! Not everything with religion in it has to end in a debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprised.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AllStarSuperman

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Bible movies usually get banned in the Middle East so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintWildcard

If they don't want to accept Jesus Christ as the one true savior that's their problem

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Transformers1024

Oh god....

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By consolemaster001

@saint_wildcard: No the problem is that you don't accept Allah as God and Muhammad is his prophet.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001: Jesus walked on water and kicked it with hookers and lepers. Dude was a G

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about...enjoy the movie as a movie...I mean, if they are that insecure with their belief that one movie makes them that angry, then maybe they should just stop being idiots.

Anyways, I really liked the movie. Thought it was great.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inverno: My guess would be that since drawing the faces of prophets is forbidden in the religion of Islam (and Noah was a prophet). They probably felt it was blasphemous to do so and not okay to view it. They were probably like "We don't know what Prophet Noah looked like but he DEFINITELY didn't look like the guy from a beautiful mind"

That's just my guess

That is understandable... Even if that wasn't the case, I believe the depiction of Cainites being Middle-Eastern would have (rightfully) raised the same amount of controversy :\

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Aiden Cross

Personally i feel religion should be seperate from state. If they want to call upon their followers not to see the movie, that's fine. When they try to outright ban the movie (even for atheists or people who are simply interested in seeing it) that's wrong.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have a right to ban any film they want in their country. If they find it offensive, why object? Its not affecting any of us.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aquaman01

@rbt said:

They have a right to ban any film they want in their country. If they find it offensive, why object? Its not affecting any of us.

So, what about the people who, you know, actually live there and want to see it? You are wrongly assuming that everyone who lives there are against it. And why does it not affecting the people in America means we shouldn't object? Should we not care if people aren't given their full human rights just because they live far away?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It SHOULD be banned everywhere for being a sh!tty movie.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#26 frozen  Moderator

I agree. If you don't like something in a country of freedom, then that's too bad. Don't push your views on others. If you're that desperate then go back to your country.

That's a nasty term.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to get off topic but I just can't imagine the movie itself. The world doesn't have enough water. How will they explain the incest? And the poop? I just don't get it.

Anyways, it's the Middle east I thought they always did this kind of stuff. Just sayin'.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not to get off topic but I just can't imagine the movie itself. The world doesn't have enough water. How will they explain the incest? And the poop? I just don't get it.

Anyways, it's the Middle east I thought they always did this kind of stuff. Just sayin'.

Humanity is incest either by science or religion, so it makes no difference.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is hardly surprising really. Much, much worse things happen than banning a movie in some of the Islamic states.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

No. I wasn't questioning how science could explain the incest. I know that the majority of this movies audience is against incest, yet support the idea of this movie. So, i was questioning how they will explain incest with their current moral "barometer."

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MakkyD

@marvel_boy2241: Really? Since most religious European nobles promoted incest "to keep the royal blood". Also, some modern societies that claim to be religious are well known for their incest habits (I won't say it in case it cause flamage, but you might be able to guess.)

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

a lot of christains and catholics said this movie is terrible even for them. they stated it didnt follow the accurate story of noah. i dont follow a religion but if anyone does a movie about something involving history dont change the f*cking story to throw in a today type twist.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By aquaman01

@maccyd said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

No Caption Provided

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By marvel_boy2241

@maccyd said:

@marvel_boy2241: Really? Since most religious European nobles promoted incest "to keep the royal blood". Also, some modern societies that claim to be religious are well known for their incest habits (I won't say it in case it cause flamage, but you might be able to guess.)

But remember, i said the majority of people viewing this and most likely even supporting this movie will not be supporters of incest. So i just don't get how they will like this movie and then hate incest.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

LOL. It's that bad?

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

LOL. It's that bad?

apparently so. many church leaders tore it apart in the media

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MakkyD

@tazzmission: They tore apart Golden Compass as well and that wasn't so bad. Are they tearing it apart due to the 300 style inaccuracies or is it critically bad?

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By aquaman01

@erik said:

LOL. It's that bad?

Depends. Does a movie have to stay 100% accurate to your belief system? If it does, then that person probably wouldn't like this.

Through an unbiased view, it is still mixed, but people are much more open to the movie. Not saying people will like it, just that more people who are unbiased are more likely to enjoy it than biased ones.

@maccyd said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

No. I wasn't questioning how science could explain the incest. I know that the majority of this movies audience is against incest, yet support the idea of this movie. So, i was questioning how they will explain incest with their current moral "barometer."

? It is fact that there was and still is incest. Whether one thinks it is moral shouldn't affect their opinion... Besides, it literally doesn't dwell in the incest part really. So, no one can really get upset with the incest part.

Also,

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@tazzmission: To be honest, I kinda expected that from some Church leaders. This wouldn't be the first time they have thrown fits over a biblical movie not staying true to it's source meterial.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MakkyD

Question: What is with the recent trend for biblical films? They used to be pretty rare, now it seems there is 3 blockbuster biblical films this year alone?

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i feel religion should be seperate from state. If they want to call upon their followers not to see the movie, that's fine. When they try to outright ban the movie (even for atheists or people who are simply interested in seeing it) that's wrong.

This, completely this.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to see an "avengers style" bible movie.

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Not sure but Noah as a movie itself was pretty bad and boring however I'm really looking forward to Exodus.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By Erik

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@erik said:

LOL. It's that bad?

apparently so. many church leaders tore it apart in the media

As an atheist that loves to see religious folks squirm over edgy depictions of their biblical characters, I couldn't find a redeeming factor in this movie and I think Emma Watson is sexy. Obviously some people will love it but if you saw some other recent, edgy mythical movie, you pretty much already saw this one.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its the middle east. everything is banned when it comes to christian propaganda.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

So, what about the people who, you know, actually live there and want to see it? You are wrongly assuming that everyone who lives there are against it. And why does it not affecting the people in America means we shouldn't object? Should we not care if people aren't given their full human rights just because they live far away?

Going to watch in theater is not the only way to do so. They do release DVD.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with what you are saying. Using that line of reasoning, you would have a serious problem with this ad campaign imposing their hypocritical, idealized views in China. Cultural Imperialism, since they actually listened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164353/Horrific-images-dogs-killed-cooked-served-meal-sick-Chinese-tradition.html

Avatar image for freddys-coming-for-you
Freddys-coming-for-you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atleast its not banned over here... As far as the other countries go, these are all there problems not mine.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a Jew/Christian movie, with a Jewish character. Absolutely nothing to do with Muslims and their feelings.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: I haven't seen the movie but apparently most people complaining didn't know what they were talking about.