• 82 results
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By pooty

@veshark: The only suggestion I can give is to pray and believe that God can help you find a honest church

That is exactly what I do. I ask him to "put me wherever YOU want me to be".

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Veshark

@pooty said:

@veshark: The only suggestion I can give is to pray and believe that God can help you find a honest church

That is exactly what I do. I ask him to "put me wherever YOU want me to be".

Wish you all the best. God bless.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@veshark said:

Hebrews 10:25

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

The Bible tells us that unity and companionship are big parts of Christianity, we are all members of the body of Christ. I don't think it makes you 'bad' or that you're barred from heaven though. But church is a big part of your spiritual growth, to receive both instruction and fellowship, and excluding it might cause you to eventually backslide.

Yes.

Why are Christian churches taking up so much space in the country if you don't even have to attend??

They are needed.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are Christian churches taking up so much space in the country if you don't even have to attend??

Supply and demand.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@cezar_thescribe:

They are needed.

For? I understand some churches do a lot for homeless and people in need but that has nothing to do with worship.

@pooty said:

@pokeysteve said:

Supply and demand.

Where I live there is a church every mile and a half or so. Not all Christian but still.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe:

They are needed.

For? I understand some churches do a lot for homeless and people in need but that has nothing to do with worship.

@pooty said:

@pokeysteve said:

Supply and demand.

Where I live there is a church every mile and a half or so. Not all Christian but still.

A church is no different then a gamestop or mcdonalds. if there is a demand for them, they will be built.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe:

They are needed.

Helping people is part of the Bible. There's more than just sitting in a building.

@pooty said:

A church is no different then a gamestop or mcdonalds. if there is a demand for them, they will be built.

A church is much different than a store.

Some are not built out of "demand."

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By pooty

@cezar_thescribe: a church and store are the same in an economic way. that is why I said supply and demand. who builds a church when there is no demand for one? that makes no sense

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@cezar_thescribe: a church and store are the same in an economic way. that is why I said supply and demand. who builds a church when there is no demand for one? that makes no sense

Not really. I am not talking about 501c3 "churches." Also, you forgot about house churches.

It would make sense if you knew anything about the Bible.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: I'll learn about the bible when you learn Economics 101. you don't build something unless someone wants it built.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@cezar_thescribe: I'll learn about the bible when you learn Economics 101. you don't build something unless someone wants it built.

I know them.

Maybe, God wants them built. ;)

Faith and business are not the same thing.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highlander_615 said:

@akbogert said:

I'd like to point out that some people are very much derailing this thread -- a thread which pretty explicitly was meant for professing Christians to discuss their beliefs on church attendance, not for atheists to discuss things they are disgusted by about the church generally.

Of course OP raised the question of tithing (though I'd presume the intent was still to get doctrinal opinions from believers, not open up to external criticism), so I guess that's @jnr6lil's call.

Oh yeah, you can always count that whenever a religious thread is posted, some hardcore atheists will come here to bash the subject. When they are called out, they act benevolent saying "no, no I didn't derail this thread at all. But I still think that anyone who believes in a higher power is a blight to this world that doesn't deserve to exist. Bye."

That is why we can't have nice things;

Wow talk about making false accusations and putting words in my mouth. That is utterly pathetic but what is also even more so is the fact you cannot even address me head on. All I mentioned was that churches are still tax exempt that is all I mentioned nothing else.

@akbogert said:

@lykopis: @highlander_615: @mrdecepticonleader: In an effort to curb this -- and prevent my own post from derailing the topic (into a discussion about derailment), I'd just like to prematurely say what's done is done but it'd be cool if we could all try to stay on point and if you don't (as has been suggested) have anything to contribute to OP's topic, then kindly contribute nothing at all.

I'm presuming due to the lack of response that my response to @pooty regarding the Sabbath was satisfactory and/or the topic has been covered to pooty's content; I think also that Veshark's response regarding Jesus and the temple is spot-on.

@akbogert said:

@lykopis: @highlander_615: @mrdecepticonleader: In an effort to curb this -- and prevent my own post from derailing the topic (into a discussion about derailment), I'd just like to prematurely say what's done is done but it'd be cool if we could all try to stay on point and if you don't (as has been suggested) have anything to contribute to OP's topic, then kindly contribute nothing at all.

I'm presuming due to the lack of response that my response to @pooty regarding the Sabbath was satisfactory and/or the topic has been covered to pooty's content; I think also that Veshark's response regarding Jesus and the temple is spot-on.

I posted what I posted and that is that. I would have happily not posted in this thread again and I have actually said no more on the matter and will continue to do so.

@veshark said:
@mrdecepticonleader said:

@akbogert said:

I'd like to point out that some people are very much derailing this thread -- a thread which pretty explicitly was meant for professing Christians to discuss their beliefs on church attendance, not for atheists to discuss things they are disgusted by about the church generally.

Of course OP raised the question of tithing (though I'd presume the intent was still to get doctrinal opinions from believers, not open up to external criticism), so I guess that's @jnr6lil's call.

My intentions are not derail this thread.I just thought that since people where talking about church that I would point that out. Since I have nothing to contribute regarding actually going to church and whatnot.

I only raised the point and @lykopis agreed with me. We have hardly derailed this thread and its not my intention to either.

With all due respect, this is not the thread for that. You're welcome to express your opinion, granted, but you could at least be courteous enough to not put them on a thread about church, and if you have nothing to contribute to the topic, then just leave it be.

I'm not saying you derailed the thread, but your comment is borderline flame bait.

No it wasn't and that was certainly not my intention, just thought I would bring that up if people are upset or offended that I said that then that is on them.

If there is no other discussion to be had here I will bow out of this thread.

Oh please. I find every comment here pointing out what mrdecepticon said as off-topic and flame-baiting just as ridiculous as claiming it's prejudicial and hate-mongering. Didn't like it? Too bad. He mentioned churches are tax-exempt, I agreed pointing out all religious buildings are and the unfairness of it and while not specific to the OP's question, it's about church. Shall we go through every topic in these forums with a fine-tooth comb and complain about posts which may be off-topic to a thread?

Don't like the post? Ignore it. If you find it irrelevant, or even stupid, ignore it. Crying sour grapes does nothing but reveal your own issues and put out a false attempt of making a statement which rings hollow since it's not universally applied throughout the off-topic forums. Also, accusing people of hate-mongering and prejudice is not going to be left unchallenged.

Give me a break.

Oh -- and knock yourself out responding to me as it will be ignored by me. You know, because of I am capable of that.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

I know them.

You don't build a church(building) with faith. Religion is a multi billion dollar industry. Churches can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to build. You need money, property, maintenance, bills, building supplies etc just like any other business. Would there be a Christian church on every corner in a Muslim nation? No. Because there is no demand for christian churches in Muslim nations. Supply and demand has nothing to do with faith, but it has a lot to do with building churches.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

@pooty said:

I know them.

You don't build a church(building) with faith. Religion is a multi billion dollar industry. Churches can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to build. You need money, property, maintenance, bills, building supplies etc just like any other business. Would there be a Christian church on every corner in a Muslim nation? No. Because there is no demand for christian churches in Muslim nations. Supply and demand has nothing to do with faith, but it has a lot to do with building churches.

You're showing your ignorance. False faith is a multi-billion dollar industry. Some people are in house churches that costs next to nothing.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: ARE YOU SERIOUS or just going full retard? Even real Christians buy real churches that cost money to make. Even the temple in Jesus time took donations. Even a house church needs money to function. Those house churches wouldn't be needed if NOBODY WANTED TO GO. What do you not understand? A mega church or even the smallest house church would not exist if there was no DEMAND for one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@pooty said:

@veshark: The Church still celebrates X-mas and Easter which are known pagan holidays. Some churches are accepting homosexuality.

The "churches" accepting sodomites are false.

Christmas, Easter, and so forth are fine.

Colossians 2:16 (KJV)

16: Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Romans 14: 5-7 (KJV)

5: One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6: He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7: For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: Christmas, Easter, and so forth are fine.

False. xmas and easter are pagan holidays that worship false gods and idols. The xmas tree, the star on top of the tree, the bunny, the eggs all were rituals used to worship false gods. They are bringing pagan rituals into the house of God. that is unacceptable

1 Cor 10:7

1 John 10:21

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@highlander_615 said:

@akbogert said:

Oh yeah, you can always count that whenever a religious thread is posted, some hardcore atheists will come here to bash the subject. When they are called out, they act benevolent saying "no, no I didn't derail this thread at all. But I still think that anyone who believes in a higher power is a blight to this world that doesn't deserve to exist. Bye."

That is why we can't have nice things;

Wow talk about making false accusations and putting words in my mouth. That is utterly pathetic but what is also even more so is the fact you cannot even address me head on. All I mentioned was that churches are still tax exempt that is all I mentioned nothing else.

@akbogert said:

@akbogert said:

I posted what I posted and that is that. I would have happily not posted in this thread again and I have actually said no more on the matter and will continue to do so.

@veshark said:

@akbogert said:

My intentions are not derail this thread.I just thought that since people where talking about church that I would point that out. Since I have nothing to contribute regarding actually going to church and whatnot.

I only raised the point and @lykopis agreed with me. We have hardly derailed this thread and its not my intention to either.

With all due respect, this is not the thread for that. You're welcome to express your opinion, granted, but you could at least be courteous enough to not put them on a thread about church, and if you have nothing to contribute to the topic, then just leave it be.

I'm not saying you derailed the thread, but your comment is borderline flame bait.

No it wasn't and that was certainly not my intention, just thought I would bring that up if people are upset or offended that I said that then that is on them.

If there is no other discussion to be had here I will bow out of this thread.

Oh please. I find every comment here pointing out what mrdecepticon said as off-topic and flame-baiting just as ridiculous as claiming it's prejudicial and hate-mongering. Didn't like it? Too bad. He mentioned churches are tax-exempt, I agreed pointing out all religious buildings are and the unfairness of it and while not specific to the OP's question, it's about church. Shall we go through every topic in these forums with a fine-tooth comb and complain about posts which may be off-topic to a thread?

Don't like the post? Ignore it. If you find it irrelevant, or even stupid, ignore it. Crying sour grapes does nothing but reveal your own issues and put out a false attempt of making a statement which rings hollow since it's not universally applied throughout the off-topic forums. Also, accusing people of hate-mongering and prejudice is not going to be left unchallenged.

Give me a break.

Oh -- and knock yourself out responding to me as it will be ignored by me. You know, because of I am capable of that.

Don't see how it's unfair churches are tax-exempt, when they're for a person's own development.

Ruminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Ruminatus

No, not really. Though I myself am nowhere near a perfect example, so there's that. But I don't think so. Let me think back on why.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

you worship God in your love for the Other and your everyday actions.

going to church is good because most are great reflective and spiritual places where one can find himself/herself and encounter peace or solve problems of the mind.

but it shouldn't be mandatory in any way.

God is love, so, just be love people. quite simple. no need to go to a specific place every specific day to hear specific words, specially since they usually change from church to church and immensely change from protestant, to catholic to orthodox institutions.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis I was trying to defuse the situation to prevent it from escalating to another flame war - you need to relax. I wasn't saying that you two were going off-topic, or even that it was directly flame bait (note my use of the word 'borderline'), but a comment like that just threatens to incite conflict. Cool the rant.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

No, correct.

Reread the verses I gave you.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#73  Edited By RazzaTazz

@lykopis said:
Shall we go through every topic in these forums with a fine-tooth comb and complain about posts which may be off-topic to a thread?

QFT

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Church has nothing to do with going to Heaven or being a Bad Christian... it's just a Institution that is used to create more meat puppets.

THANK YOU!!!!

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By laflux

@lykopis said:
Shall we go through every topic in these forums with a fine-tooth comb and complain about posts which may be off-topic to a thread?

QFT

Razz is only saying that because it means that she has less work to do as a moderator >.>

LAZY

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@pooty said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

@pooty said:

No, correct.

Reread the verses I gave you.

Read the origins of xmas/easter.

Listen to me and preachers who know more than you. ;)

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The JAMES MODLISH preaching and teaching page Go to and click... What is Christmas really about?

Colossians 2:16 (KJV)

16: Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Romans 14: 5-7 (KJV)

5: One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6: He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7: For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself

SergeStorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#80  Edited By SergeStorms

I go to church but I am now a Christian so there is not a cause and effect there. I am UU. But, I have read a lot of books and articles on religion and one thing I do know is that the various Christian denominations agree on very little. It is kind of cute. So addressing a question to Christians as a whole is not going to get you an answer.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By CainPanell

Going to a church makes you about as close to god as standing in a garage makes you a car.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jealousy is a sin also?