Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

While Platinum Dunes works out their remake for 2015, Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films and Crystal Lake Entertainment have set a deal to produce a new hourlong dramatic series based upon the characters and settings of Friday The 13th, Deadline reports.

Sean S. Cunningham, who helmed the 1980 original, will be executive producer along with EFO Films principals Randall Emmett & George Furla, Dan Farrands, Mark Canton of Atmosphere Entertainment MM, Steve B. Harris of Diversion3 Entertainment, and Ted Fox of Fox Entertainment. Also producing is Horror Inc. president Robert Barsamian, who produced the features.

Bill Basso (Terminator) and Jordu Schell (Avatar) have been set to script “a storyline that re-imagines Jason in multiple time periods.

The original was set at a summer camp, closed because of the drowning of an unattended child. Promiscuous counselors tried to re-open the place, but they began dying. Jason actually took root as the indestructible villain in the second film, with his signature hockey goalie mask debuting in the third. “The series is contemporary, focusing on the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed.

Roy Knyrim (Gods and Monsters) of SOTA FX will coordinate the special make-up effects for the series.

Jason Voorhees is synonymous with the genre and we plan to build on this legacy with a provocative and compelling take that expands upon the storylines that have already thrilled millions worldwide,” explained Cunningham. Said Barsamian: “Expect the show to take viewers in some exciting new directions that we’re confident will not only excite existing fans of Friday The 13th but also attract new audiences to the situations and characters that inhabit the small town of Crystal Lake.

Breaking: 'Friday the 13th' TV Series Announced! -

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

...Meh?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Not feeling it?

I fail to see what they could do with a TV series. 1 24 episode season (with 1 h eps) would be equal or more story telling than the entire franchise combined. And many of them rehash the same thing lol. I fail to see the depth there.

Mediocregeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That sounds pretty cool actually.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@fallschirmjager: Well they'll just do what they are currently doing in Bates Motel and Hannibal. Show what the relationship is like between young deformed Jason and his messed up murdering mum and introduce some camp kids and also flash forward to present day Jason killing like in the movies.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Well they'll just do what they are currently doing in Bates Motel and Hannibal. Show what the relationship is like between young deformed Jason and his messed up murdering mum while they flash forward to present day Jason killing like in the movies.

I tried both of the shows and couldn't get into them frankly, so that doesn't really help lol.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager: Really? I love Hannibal!

Meh, came off cheesy to me personally with the whole "he kills someone one scene and then is cooking the next scene. I WONDER WHAT MEAT HES USING HAR HAR HAR". It wasn't as clever as I felt they wanted it to be. I realize they had to work with public censors rules but still. Would have been better on HBO (what wouldn't though? :P)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, they should actually use their resources and energy to make a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash feature film...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Eh.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really fail to see what they could do without using the same cliches or story points over and over

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogueshadow  Moderator

I can't see it translating well to screen, the most similar show I can think of it being like in tone would be Hemlock grove, which was only mediocre and won't suffer from the fact that when I see a FT13th property I want to see Jason as much as possible, if they make it about a bunch of teenagers scrabbling aroun for clues it will just feel like R rated Scooby Doo. Simultaneously, I'm going to get bored of Jason hacking teenagers to pieces pretty quickly.

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Meh, came off cheesy to me personally with the whole "he kills someone one scene and then is cooking the next scene. I WONDER WHAT MEAT HES USING HAR HAR HAR". It wasn't as clever as I felt they wanted it to be. I realize they had to work with public censors rules but still. Would have been better on HBO (what wouldn't though? :P)

I think that's an unfair critique. It can be pretty pretentious at times. Sometimes there is dialogue filled with pointless symbolism that when you step back from it you end up thinking, 'huh, that literally means nothing, It's not gone over my head, it really just means nothing.'

The cooking food gags is inescapable, he is Hannibal the Cannibal, I don't think Fuller took much intellectual pride from it. And visually those scenes were delightful, not a word I use much, but they were.

In some ways it's really top tier, acting, visually, incredible sound work, tension, and when the dialogue is good it's great. I'd recommend bearing with it for a while if you didn't like the first few episodes, you might find yourself hooked.

I don't feel it lacks much for not being on HBO, swearing and sex wouldn't feel right for the show and in terms of quality, Fuller's doing a great job.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i like the original Friday the 13th series with the horror Anthology theme for each episode.

They should Bring Back Tales From the Krypt.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Which is why they make it about young Jason and his mum and teenagers and old Jason all at the same time.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: Which is why they make it about young Jason and his mum and teenagers and old Jason all at the same time.

That would be even worse.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: How? Not to much mindless killing, not to much teenage scooby do.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: How? Not to much mindless killing, not to much teenage scooby do.

I can only speak for my personal preference, but I think it is probably true of the vast majority. When I think Jason, I think brutal killer, I don't really want to know about his childhood demons, bullied and drowning is enough for me. I just want to see Jason killing people in a scary manner, not really interested all that much in his pathology. And if they did that will get old by episode 3 for me. If that appeals to you, awesome, I'm not saying it's bad.

That being said, I'll probably still watch it, unless it's really bad.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a HUGE Friday The 13th fan there is no way I wont be watching this when it airs, BUT I also don't know how I feel about if, since its on t.v I feel like its going to be watered down and more tv appropriate (less violence and less breasts) I also don't want it to mess with/contradict things that have been established in the movies already.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a second I thought this was referring to a remake of the original Friday The 13th TV show which was Warehouse 13's predecessor lol.

Ehh, I think I'll wait to see how this show does. Not a HUGE Jason fan but I am a BIG horror fan so kind of 50/50 for me. Wish they did a show like this for Michael Myers and Chucky honestly....give more insight to their pasts. One thing I liked alot about Zombie's first Halloween 1 and the last Chucky movie. Curse.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: Same guys that are making the movies are making the tv show

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check it out. Not expecting it to be good or make it though.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolfrazer

Ahhh....hmmm, I'm not really sure what to think. I'm a BIG F13TH fan and think Jason is great...but a TV series? Ehh...i'll remain open minded about it, maybe look in on a few episodes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I think that's an unfair critique. It can be pretty pretentious at times. Sometimes there is dialogue filled with pointless symbolism that when you step back from it you end up thinking, 'huh, that literally means nothing, It's not gone over my head, it really just means nothing.'

The cooking food gags is inescapable, he is Hannibal the Cannibal, I don't think Fuller took much intellectual pride from it. And visually those scenes were delightful, not a word I use much, but they were.

In some ways it's really top tier, acting, visually, incredible sound work, tension, and when the dialogue is good it's great. I'd recommend bearing with it for a while if you didn't like the first few episodes, you might find yourself hooked.

I don't feel it lacks much for not being on HBO, swearing and sex wouldn't feel right for the show and in terms of quality, Fuller's doing a great job.

Honestly, I'm about to stop watching Hannibal, the show is getting more and more annoying. Season 1 went on waaaay too long with the "Is Will crazy or not?" plotline, we know he's not, we don't need an entire season blue balling us about it. Season two is slightly better, yet I'm annoyed at how Hannibal hasn't been caught yet. The only reason he's not behind bars is because people continously (and inexplicably) lie about his innocence. We have Chilton who wouldn't come clean until it was way too late just because..why? He's interested in Hannibal and his methods? We had Gideon who refused to admit he went to Hannibal's house for...God knows why. Add to it, unnecesarily "profound" imagery (which seems like overly flamboyant "Dexter" kills) and dialogue that's not nearly as clever or poetic as the show wants it to seem...The only reason I'm still watching is because it was teased that Crawford eventually confronts him, which may lead to a Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs adaptation. But for right now, the show is mediocre to me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

Anyway, on topic, I suppose I could be down for this, at least, the Jason fan inside of me will be. There is a tv show about the horror movie "From Dusk Til Dawn" out right now, and it's really cool imo, so, this could be good too.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: Same guys that are making the movies are making the tv show

Lol yes I know but im still worried its going to be watered down or censored since its gonna be on tv but since sean seems heavily involved it shouldn't mess with the story too much.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolfrazer

@blade_r: Depending on what channel it airs, it won't have to be censored or watered down.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds interesting. I know there was news of this months back, nice to see more info on the project and that it actually seems to be happening I guess.

I will take it over another remake any day of the week. I shall wait and see how this turns out.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By wildvine

I am screaming inside. On one hand I'm as pessimistic as anyone about how it will play and what continuity it will wreck up. On the other hand I am excited in spite of myself.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I hear it's in continuity with the new reboot film they are currently making

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Voorhees was to be not part the show till season 2 and not to be in zombie form till season 3 as the show will center around ms.Voorhees.

#jk

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

I would like to see a film in which Jason goes up against Michael Myers. lol

Yeah that would rock, but even better a fighting game(official one) from NRS, that would rock!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@wildvine: @mrdecepticonleader: @the_stegman: @wolfrazer: @risingbean: @vaeternus: @blade_r: @cloakx14: @rogueshadow: @mediocregeist: @fallschirmjager:

Bloody Disgusting literally exploded yesterday with the news of a new “Friday the 13th” television series. In fact, it appears that you guys would rather see the Voorhees family on the small screen these days…

Speaking of the Voorhees family, after the story broke, producer Daniel Farrands, who helped conceive the series with Geoff Garrett, responded to fan criticism over the alleged “storyline that re-imagines Jason in multiple time periods.”

We will be exploring the origins of the Voorhees family,” Farrands told F13Franchise, “namely Pamela and Jason Voorhees, but doing so in flashbacks to past events that will be running concurrently with present day storylines.

There is absolutely no time traveling of any kind,” he clarifies. Not that he should have to, because the press release in no way implies there would be time travel (come on, guys).

According to the announcement, the series is mostly contemporary, focusing on the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed.

Paramount and Platinum Dunes are currently in talks with David Bruckner to helm the Friday the 13th reboot for a 2015 theatrical release.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeeeeesh. Reading the article now. Very excited.

I lost interest on Bates Motel after the first 5 or 6 episodes, really hoping this one can grab me.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm...looking into the family origin hm?...Could be an interesting take.