#2 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Aliens!!!!

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

That's some kind of arrogance to call it 'New Earth'. Earth-like is one thing, but 'New Earth'? It's like we already own it. I bet the aliens won't like us calling it 'New Earth'.

#4 Edited by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet they got some laser cannon pointed at all of us right now. I hope they aren't hostile and arrogant.

#5 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"That's some kind of arrogance to call it 'New Earth'. Earth-like is one thing, but 'New Earth'? It's like we already own it. I bet the aliens won't like us calling it 'New Earth'."

Yeah, I'd much prefer to call it New Texas.

#6 Posted by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"That's some kind of arrogance to call it 'New Earth'. Earth-like is one thing, but 'New Earth'? It's like we already own it. I bet the aliens won't like us calling it 'New Earth'."

Are they calling it "New-Earth" or "New Earth-Like"? I haven't read the whole article yet.

#7 Edited by CanadianWolverine (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Do micro-bacteria in the ocean get ticked if we call it something? Its very odd that any kind of extra-terrestrial life form would have anything even remotely in common with us that our use of communicating an vaguely identified planet would get their ire up.

Let me know when we succeed in carrying on a conversation with other life forms on our own planet, then I might start to think we have a chance at even attempting to conceive of inter stellar diplomacy. At this time, the best we could hope for is that we don't find each other fit for consumption or feel threatened in any other way by each other, if life on this planet is any example to go by.

#8 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

DEADPOOL says:

"Buckshot says:

Are they calling it "New-Earth" or "New Earth-Like"? I haven't read the whole article yet."

They said it a couple times. I think once was in a picture about how the night sky would look.

CanadianWolverine says:

"Do micro-bacteria in the ocean get ticked if we call it something? Its very odd that any kind of extra terrestrial life form would have anything even remotely in common with us that our use of communicating an vaguely identified planet would get their ire up.Let me know when we succeed in carrying on a conversation with other life forms on our own planet, then I might start to think we have a chance at even attempting to conceive of inter stellar diplomacy. At this time, the best we could hope for is that we don't find each other fit for consumption or feel threatened in any other way by each other, if life on this planet is any example to go by."

Wasn't serious.

#9 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

CanadianWolverine says:

"Do micro-bacteria in the ocean get ticked if we call it something? Its very odd that any kind of extra terrestrial life form would have anything even remotely in common with us that our use of communicating an vaguely identified planet would get their ire up.Let me know when we succeed in carrying on a conversation with other life forms on our own planet, then I might start to think we have a chance at even attempting to conceive of inter stellar diplomacy. At this time, the best we could hope for is that we don't find each other fit for consumption or feel threatened in any other way by each other, if life on this planet is any example to go by."

As long as they don't taste like chicken or beef, they're probably safe.

#10 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

If they taste like shrimp it's over. Genocide as soon as I land on the planet.

#11 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"If they taste like shrimp it's over. Genocide as soon as I land on the planet."

Nope. If it's ever lived in water, I consider it inedible.

#12 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Prurience Man says:

"Buckshot says:
"If they taste like shrimp it's over. Genocide as soon as I land on the planet."

Nope. If it's ever lived in water, I consider it inedible."

Blasphemy!

#13 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

NiteFly says:

"Prurience Man says:
"Buckshot says:

Blasphemy!"

You eat it then.

#14 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao. Fish is gooood! I love shrimp also.

#15 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

:D Warning, resident astrophysicist about to go all technical on ya.

Essentially what the article is saying is that this new planet has a mass large enough to maintain an atmosphere substantial enough to protect the surface while orbitting within the star's habitable zone. The HZ (habitable zone) is the band around a star within which water is liquid. The article refers to it as the Goldilocks Zone but that's total crap. I've been a planetary scientist, it's a habitable zone. So in essence all the article is telling us is that there's a possibility that this planet can support life. It's a huge step in the right direction.

The main problem that no one seems to have addressed in the laymans article is that the star it's orbitting is a red dwarf. Red dwarfs, as you can guess by the name, are small. They are the next step up from gas giant planets so they're not quite massive enough to sustain full nuclear fusion. They can only burn hydrogen, which means they're not very hot and they won't last very long. As a comparison, our star is a blue dwarf. It's quite a bit larger than the red dwarf stars and big enough to sustain helium burning. That means it's more than hot enough to support a planet with life on it and also that it's going to last long enough for several evolutionary cycles of said life forms.

So, in my opinion, this is a really exciting discovery. I actually know the leader of the team in Geneva, Stephen Udry, and I can only imagine how thrilled he is to be right where the truly frontier work is being carried out. Sorry if I bored you guys, I tend to get excitable about planetary science.

#16 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

Prurience Man says:

"Buckshot says:

"P-Man, I like your thinking," says the one allergic to seafood.

#17 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

Prurience Man says:

"Buckshot says:
Yeah, I'd much prefer to call it New Texas."

Heh heh, have you never heard that song 'Planet Texas'?

#18 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

DEADPOOL says:

"http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/planet2504_800x323.jpg "

I claim this planet in the name of Mars!

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

here we go, for people who love imagining cool new worlds... pretty much everyone into sci-fi, fantasy and comics :D

M

#20 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

But if the planet's atmosphere is too thick, the starlight won't penetrate deep enough to see...

Oh, nice pic, Methos. Cheers.

#21 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

-from "The Onion"

Earth-like Planet DiscoveredThursday, May 3, 2007

Earth-like Planet Discovered

Scientists have discovered an Earth-like planet orbiting a red dwarf star 20 light-years away. What do you think?

Randy Kirkland,

Cantor

"If it's Earth-like, then it's probably near destruction and of no use to us."

Eirc Steinway,

Social Worker

"How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?"

Melody Thorsen,

Tour Guide

"Did scientists find any tall, single men on that Earth? I've pretty much exhausted my possibilities here."

More American Voices

#22 Edited by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Satyrquaze says:

"Eirc Steinway,Social Worker"How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?"

LMAO! I'd say the second.

#23 Edited by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the one I most agreed with too.

#24 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Hagane Enna says:

"Prurience Man says:
"Buckshot says:
Yeah, I'd much prefer to call it New Texas."

Heh heh, have you never heard that song 'Planet Texas'?"

I have this massively huge coffee mug that says "Planet Texas" on it. I love it. It holds nearly an entire pot of coffee.

#25 Posted by NeonPheonix (650 posts) - - Show Bio

Do micro-bacteria in the ocean get ticked if we call it something? Its very odd that any kind of extra-terrestrial life form would have anything even remotely in common with us that our use of communicating an vaguely identified planet would get their ire up.

Let me know when we succeed in carrying on a conversation with other life forms on our own planet, then I might start to think we have a chance at even attempting to conceive of inter stellar diplomacy. At this time, the best we could hope for is that we don't find each other fit for consumption or feel threatened in any other way by each other, if life on this planet is any example to go by.

What makes anyone think that aliens would even speak English? or any human language? or have any purpose besides making a good Sci-Fi story than to meet us?

#26 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5947 posts) - - Show Bio