Need some opinions regarding Engineering

.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By .Ajax.

I'm currently enrolled in my first year of Engineering Technology. I can't seem to decide which discipline I want to go into however, so some help is appreciated! My biggest interest is petroleum, followed by telecommunications and chemical processing. If anybody can provide feedback and job demand as well as salary scale that would be absolutely fantastic!

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Petroleum and chemical processing is going to take off for the next few years in the US, due primarily to the shale boom and renewed interest in alternative energies. Telecommunications is also going to start making a big comeback as Google and Apple come head to head, and the smartphone market continues to grow.

.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By .Ajax.

@Illuminatus said:

Petroleum and chemical processing is going to take off for the next few years in the US, due primarily to the shale boom and renewed interest in alternative energies. Telecommunications is also going to start making a big comeback as Google and Apple come head to head, and the smartphone market continues to grow.

Would you have any idea about payscales?

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@.Ajax. said:

@Illuminatus said:

Would you have any idea about payscales?

Not a clue. Companies are going to offer different payscales, and the direction of the market(s) will certainly impact this. 

You're from the US, yes?
.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By .Ajax.

@Illuminatus

Canada actually. Although petroleum has my greatest interest, it also seems to have the highest pay from the very little I can find. My biggest problem is that is just seems much to specific.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@.Ajax.: Canada? Dude, the petroleum industry in Canada is massive.
.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By .Ajax.

@Illuminatus said:

@.Ajax.: Canada? Dude, the petroleum industry in Canada is massive.

The petroleum industry in Alberta* is massive hahaha.

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheDude123

Neither petroleum nor telecommunications nor chemical processing as focuses will help much in creating a suit of powered armor....

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@.Ajax.: Alberta isn't so bad.
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF

I would say telecommunications or chemical bc those will be the two that either advance or at least stick around the longest. I would think telecommunications would be the most highly in demand during your job career life span.

While i don't see petroleum disappearing or slowing down any time soon, i don't think it will ramp up any more than it is

For pay scales, check out payscales.com

.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By .Ajax.

@Illuminatus

I know, I was just making a joke that many of us Canadians say! I have a lot of relatives of there doing stuff. The petroleum industry is supposed to take off in Saskatchewan soon as well and in my home province of Newfoundland, a new oil rig is scheduled to begin operation the year I finish my program.