Need some gym tips

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm trying to build a bigger physique. I favour my arms, shoulders and chest the most.

Question: I've been working my chest out my hardest for a month and I'm not getting the look I want. What can I do to get that nice curved look?

Additional notes: This is my everyday chest workout.

• I press 85kgs on the chest press (Like a horizontal bench press). I do 3 sets of 12 (30 second - 45 second breaks)
  • I do 50kgs on the butterfly cable pull. Same sets/reps as above
  • I do 3 sets of 15 for unassisted dips more for triceps but it does work out the chest.

Every time I exit the gym I feel like I can do more.

Any tips?

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

higher weight lower reps for more mass and eat properly- do the above when you want to get cut up and lean, adjusting your diet to optimize for fat burn

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Some professionals eat like 6-7000 a day, well at least that's what heard from the Olympics thing.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nobodies gonna say it..... "Do you even lift??"

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MyNameWasDeleted

not a bro there joe, but calorie counting alone wont get it done... you have to eat CLEAN (unless you want the issue of a harsh diet)

found this for you, see if it helps

Loading Video...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. You should increase the weight you are using. If you want your chest to grow, you'll need to use a weight that significantly challenges your chest. If you can do 10+ reps with a chest exercise, you are probably not using enough weight and need to increase it. 2. You need to try some more chest exercises. The more exercises you do, the more your chest will grow. Try incline dumbbell and barbell chest press, decline dumbbell and barbell chest press, and other exercises you can find on the Internet. 3. Eat lots of protein. Use a calculator online to figure out how much protein you need for your bodyweight. No matter how hard you work your chest, if you don't get enough protein, your chest won't grow. 4. Work your legs, if you get a big upper body, and still have small legs, you'll look weird and unproportional.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Everyday chest workout" I hope you don't workout everyday.

Tip: Drink milk before sleep specifically on the days you workout. Drink milk when you wakeup.

Godspawn's eventually gonna come in this thread. If you see this Godspawn, answer me this: What should I do to get an Adonis Belt and how often?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

You need to mix up the workouts. When your body plateaus, do some other things for a week or two (with minor focus on the area for maintenance) and then blast it again. Its about shocking the system. They did it to us in training all the time.

Unfortunately that's really all the advice I have, we go for lean muscle over size, and balance speed with strength. The only weights I even lift are leg presses. Hope the above helps though.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@monsterstomp:

So I'm trying to build a bigger physique. I favour my arms, shoulders and chest the most.

Question: I've been working my chest out my hardest for a month and I'm not getting the look I want. What can I do to get that nice curved look?

Additional notes: This is my everyday chest workout.

• I press 85kgs on the chest press (Like a horizontal bench press). I do 3 sets of 12 (30 second - 45 second breaks)
  • I do 50kgs on the butterfly cable pull. Same sets/reps as above
  • I do 3 sets of 15 for unassisted dips more for triceps but it does work out the chest.

Every time I exit the gym I feel like I can do more.

Any tips?

1. You better not be doing chest every day. Once a week is plenty, but if you must, add in a 2nd day at least 2 days later, but focus on volume training, so short rest breaks and a rep range of 15-20 for about 3-4 sets.

2. If you want to work overall chest development, add in an incline press whether it be a dumbbell or barbell, and add in decline. Decline pressing is probably the best mass gainer for the chest. Most people think it only works the underside of the pecs, but it works the whole thing. Dorian Yates would back me up on this and since he is a 6-7 time Mr. Olympia, I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing.

3. Someone said on here, the more chest exercises you do, the more your chest will grow. Not necessarily true. A lot of chest routines will have a bout 3-5 exercises in total. Going back to Mr. Yates for example, he has only 3 exercises on chest and that is the decline bench, incline dumbbell press, and flat bench fly. And that is all he does and all he trains for in his Blood and Guts program and that was easily one of the best body building routines I have ever had the pleasure of doing.

4. Your rep range for optimal muscle growth should be about 6-8 reps. You can even get away with that 9-12, but if you're focusing on just size gain rather than size+ power, 9-12 is your focus. Mike Westerdal is a guy that praises the ranges and he is creator of critical bench and has come up with a program to add about 50 pounds on your bench in about 10 weeks and he has been a pro trainer for years. I'm pretty sure he has a good grasp on the subject.

5. Everyone keeps talking about protein, and that is very important. About 1.5 grams per pound of lean mass would be sufficient for bulking. What they are also forgetting is eating carbs. Protein repairs the muscle, but the need of carbs is important for size. A 4000 calorie diet is definitely sufficient for bulking. 50-60% of your diet needs to be carbs anyway. A trick I learned to help pack on some muscle was eat a simple carb after your chest work out. Your body burns up the energy you have so something simple carby (sugary) helps restore your body's glycogen stores (energy) and since you are done with a workout, your body is in a state where insulin is being produced and it stores the carbs in the muscles rather than fat. So eat a candy bar or what I do is I have my shake and I fill a coffee cup with ice cream and eat it.

6. Do legs. By doing legs, you help gain proportion. On top of that, you add on size and strength quicker due to gravity pulling some excess growth hormone that your body naturally produces into the legs. By doing legs, you help that circulates and feeds the muscles better.

7. 7-8 hours of sleep minimum. I'd suggest more like 9-10, but that is usually the recommended amount.

8. Think about it. Seriously, focus on the fact you want a bigger chest. This helps the mind create a body image and in turn does something called the placebo effect which helps get you bigger faster.

9. Patience. You won't get bigger pecs over night. Body building and size gaining is a process. Don't get discouraged, just keep your head up and it will happen.

8. (Optional) Give this a shot only after you get more experienced in your training and your basics down, though. If you must, you can take a zinc supplement (keep it about 15-25 mg so you don't get zinc poisoning) and that lowers the body's ability to produce estrogen, vitamin D3 (helps free testosterone bonds in the body so more is there to repair tissue), and fish oil supplement. These together help raise your body's OWN natural testosterone levels, which in turn helps promote muscle growth and repair tissue faster. So you're not doing steroids or anything. Take this either when you wake up or before bed and I believe you do this daily (I do it daily and haven't had any issues). But if you don't feel safe doing it daily, about 3 days should suffice.

Any other questions, any links to the work outs or workout programs I mentioned ( like Blood and Guts or Westerdal's stuff) feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks a lot guys I'll need to re-adjust my routine quite a bit now lol.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Strider1992

If its the look your going for than its all diet. Its surprising how much is to do with what you eat and how little is actually exercise. My advice would be just to look into what you're eating. I've seen people who have never set foot in a Gym in their life but look great because of just doing a little weight training at home and eating the right stuff.

Diet>>Exercise

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MonsterStomp

@strider92: That's not exactly going to make my pecks look sexier is it? Or am I underrating the diet?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@monsterstomp: Wait...first of all, you have to define your body type structure. You must find if you're an ectomorph, a mesomorph or an endomorph. It's really important for you to know your body type. When you will be able to tell me your body type (be sure about it though), I will be able to give you some serious advice. For example, an ectomorph has more ST muscle fibers (slow titch) than a mesomorph and that makes it a liiiittle bit more difficult for ectomorphs to respond to weight training. Nevertheless, there are routines for ectomorphs that can really help them to bulk up (muscular hypertrophy etc etc). Tell me something, do you find it difficult to gain any weight either muscle or fat? When I say difficult, I mean eating a lot (perhaps a lot of crappy food too) and not getting any weight? Or is it the opposite? Really, if you manage to define your body type, you can create a much better routine for yourself. I'm not saying it's everything, I'm saying it's really really important. ;)

Ratatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ratatat

go on a bulk

lift heavy

high sets low reps

strict form

that's about it without making it too complicated

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Don't try to go beyond your limits. That is just being cocky.