Native Americans In American Culture

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mr. Smiths

I decided to make a thread of this since its Chris Columbus day. You know interesting fact, Chris Columbus and his men use to hunt indians down for sport. Killing them, raping them and feasting on their bodies. And it got me thinking, why have Indians always been considered the bad guys in history of this country? Remember the old western films were the cowboys would hunt the indians and beat them cause they were the bad guys. It just that I never understood why indians got so much flack and were considered enemies. Maybe someone on this site could enlighten me on that.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I don't get it, either. Columbus wasn't even the first European to "discover" America, and he went to his grave thinking he'd reached the East Indies.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Columbus was a dick.

/thread

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheGoldenOne
He feasted on their bodies?! O_o Wow...
Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

From what I learnt in History, the Indians were the good guys.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By cyberninja
@Mr. Smiths said:

why have Indians always been considered the bad guys in history of this country?

Sadly history depends on who controls the narrative, because history is always written by the winners. 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Whoops? In my country the indians were always the good guys... well, to be fair, it was the indians who were Mohicans that were the heroes. Things got confusing though cause the bad native Americans had mohawks, sorta. Also did not help that Magua was played by Sagat, the guy from Street Fighter. That was a really bad movie though. So maybe thats... 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

We never supported Columbus day in my family for 2 reasons, 1. Because Europeans discovered America in the same since as a thief discovers your car stereo and 2. because Columbus was a bum who only found the western hemisphere out of pure dumb luck

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Mr. Smiths said:

I decided to make a thread of this since its Chris Columbus day. You know interesting fact, Chris Columbus and his men use to hunt indians down for sport. Killing them, raping them and feasting on their bodies. And it got me thinking, why have Indians always been considered the bad guys in history of this country? Remember the old western films were the cowboys would hunt the indians and beat them cause they were the bad guys. It just that I never understood why indians got so much flack and were considered enemies. Maybe someone on this site could enlighten me on that.

Maybe it's because Americans are not educated in Native American culture.

For example: they are not Indians. They're only called that because Columbus got lost. 

@joshmightbe said:

We never supported Columbus day in my family for 2 reasons, 1. Because Europeans discovered America in the same since as a thief discovers your car stereo and 2. because Columbus was a bum who only found the western hemisphere out of pure dumb luck

Hear, hear! Now how about Leif Ericson day? It's a lot more appropriate.
Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr. Smiths

@comicdude23 said:

They were but this country made them as bad guys like for example how in alot of western films the indians are the villians and the cowboys are the good guys.

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By fbdarkangel
No Caption Provided
Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr. Smiths

@fbdarkangel said:

No Caption Provided

Thats terrible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fbdarkangel: THAT IS TERRIBLE. FAIL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr. Smiths said:

@comicdude23 said:

They were but this country made them as bad guys like for example how in alot of western films the indians are the villians and the cowboys are the good guys.

If you watch Western-films from the 50s, then yeah, but the recent ones (1980s perhaps - Now) they are okay with portrayl.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shadow_Thief
No Caption Provided
Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr. Smiths

@comicdude23 said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@comicdude23 said:

If you watch Western-films from the 50s, then yeah, but the recent ones (1980s perhaps - Now) they are okay with portrayl.

Yeah they been getting better thank god.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Kairan1979

I don't not about USA, but I grew up on the movies with Gojko Mitic, like The Sons of Great Mother Bear, where Indians were heroes.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr. Smiths

@Kairan1979 said:

I don't not about USA, but I grew up on the movies with Gojko Mitic, like The Sons of Great Mother Bear, where Indians were heroes.

I'm growing up with indians as the heroes too. But back in the 50s they were the villians in western films.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssejllenrad

You guys still call them Indians? Man talk about progress! Nyehehehe!

Seriously, that's just how more powerful cultures portray their defeated enemies. Persia was demonized by the hellenistic dynasties, Carthage had its reputation raped by Rome, Europeans made a villain out of Native Americans. It's human nature. Every victorious side claims "We defeated them savages! We are heroes!"

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@ssejllenrad: I don't call them Indians because they aren't from India

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SilverGalford

I decided to make a thread of this since its Chris Columbus day. You know interesting fact, Chris Columbus and his men use to hunt indians down for sport. Killing them, raping them and feasting on their bodies

what the hell? is this true? what a maniac

And it got me thinking, why have Indians always been considered the bad guys in history of this country?

just two words : power and business.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

@SilverGalford: Apparently stubbornly trying to keep people from stealing your land and not just allowing the army to kill you makes you a bad guy to some people

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SilverGalford

@fbdarkangel said:

No Caption Provided

this is not good.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr. Smiths

@joshmightbe said:

@SilverGalford: Apparently stubbornly trying to keep people from stealing your land and not just allowing the army to kill you makes you a bad guy to some people

Yeah thats just stupid.

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you people please quit using the term Indians, we are not from India, we are from the United States. So please just say Native American.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Primmaster64

Indians are cool. Barely see anything from them in todays culture.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Trodorne
@fbdarkangel said:
No Caption Provided
That picture is hilarious.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By King_Saturn
@Trodorne said:
@fbdarkangel said:
No Caption Provided
That picture is hilarious.
yes it is
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Mercy_
We flipped our finger to the King of England. Stole our country from the Indians. With God on our side and guns in our hands, we took it for our own. A nation dedicated to liberty, justice and equality. Does it look that way to you? It doesn't look that way to me. The sickest joke I know.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Mercy_

@DeadpoolvIronFist said:

Can you people please quit using the term Indians, we are not from India, we are from the United States. So please just say Native American.

I know veryyyyyyyyyyyy few who actually use the term Indian anymore. The quote that I just put had it, but it's not written by me.

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:

@DeadpoolvIronFist said:

I know veryyyyyyyyyyyy few who actually use the term Indian anymore. The quote that I just put had it, but it's not written by me.

I understood that. I was just stating that I've seen quite a few different people use the term on the site.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#32  Edited By Trodorne
@SilverGalford said:

just two words : power and business.

technically 3 words

The term Indians was used by chris because he thought he landed in the east indies. which was not the case. so right from the get go history has them by the wrong name. This should have been a sign things were going to get worse for the rest of the inhabitants of North America at the that time. Even Canada itself, the name means village. Bad interpretation from one of the members of the expedition to make good relations with the locals thought that Ka'na'da meant Nation in which they all lived. 

But lets look at things like this. The natives were lied too, tricked into trading for land which there was no ownership and forced further into the interior where they often fought amongst other tribes as well as the pioneers who kept moving deeper into there territory. Oh and later on they push further west and start giving small pox and other diseases to the locals. Sitting Bull tried to fight for the freedoms of his people and he put his trust in the canadian government even had some friends but canada was forced to send sitting bull back to america which he was later murdered. later on many of the so called "Good Christians" at the time wanted to intergrate the "Heathen" tribes into "Normal, Civilized" society. Many of the children who were raised in these places of worship were often beaten,raped and humiliated up till the days of the almost mid 20th century. 

The closest thing Ive seen in pop culture that uses a mix of some of the styles and traditions of most of the first nations is World of Warcraft, those who don't know would be the race called the Tauren. One of my favorite races in the game and they are part of the horde. but thats a story for another time.
Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Kairan1979

I meant no offence. That's how we call them in our country (and I thinkt the politically correct monstrosities like "Afro-American" or "Native American" are horrible).