Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By KingOfAsh

One of many sources

No Caption Provided

"Japan’s entertainment industry is growing day by day with its countless live-action and anime adaptations. Apart from the Hollywood remakes of famous J-Horror films, a popular Japanese manga is getting the royal treatment by none other than Guillermo del Torro himself. AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

It has been recently announced that Mr. Del Torro is working with HBO to develop a live-action series adaptation of seinen manga “Monster”, a psychological and detective fiction blended with blood of horror. “Monster” is created by Naoki Urasawa and was first published in 1994 by Shogakukan in Big Comic Original and had over 18 volumes uptil the year 2001. It was even adapted into a 74-episode anime series in 2004 up to 2005 in NTV and was directed by Masayuki Kojima (Card Captor Sakura) and written by Tatsuhiko Urahata. A seperate novel, Another Monster, was illustrated by Urasawa in 2002 and followed the events after the manga and is taken from the reporter’s point of view.

The story centers on Dr. Kenzo Tenma, a brilliant physician who risks his reputation to save a 12 year old child and in doing so, unleashes a Pandora’s Box of conspiracies and horrific serial killings. See, the boy that the good doctor saves ends up to be the most evil sociopath that has ever lived and Kenzo finds himself on a worldwide search to find his patient and battle to stop a plot of mass genocide.

The idea of adapting the manga was actually slated to be released as a featured film by New Line Cinema but because “he material was too massive an undertaking for just one film. Having ‘Monster’as a series instead of a single film seems to be the more practical route to go, but it took Urasawa some time to be convinced. Reportedly, del Toro spent a lot of time wooing the author before he was convinced that his creation would be handled properly and to his satisfaction.”

Guillermo Del Torro will be working alongside writer, Steve Thompson (Doctor Who, Sherlock) with the premise and plot of Urasawa’s seinen manga and while no premiere dates have been announced, Monster will obviously be seen a must-watch and much-awaited HBO series under the directing helm of Del Torro."

I haven't read the series yet, but I am a fan of Naoki Urasawas 20th Century Boys. This shoulld be something worth looking forward to I say.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#1 BumpyBoo  Moderator

This looks freaking AWESOME!!! O_O

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KingOfAsh
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Nerx

@bumpyboo: because it is Urasawa is a genius

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@nerx:

Damn right! :) I am a big big Del Torro fan too, i think this could be great ^_^

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofash: I have read Pluto and watched 20th century boys, I haven't got to Monster yet but imma start

@bumpyboo:I have a feeling that the vibes will be 'pans labyrinth'

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

YES THIS IS AWESOME!!

Now who's gonna play Johan...who can play one of the most evil character ever made

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Love both Del Toro and Urasawa. I hope this show actually happens.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow.

O_O

It's going to be amazing.

I should also mention that James Cameron is (eventually) going to adapt Battle Angel Atila. After he's done with Avatar, which should take a while.

No Caption Provided

This too.

About time manga gets some notice from Hollywood's Elite.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guillermo Del Toro has always been a big comic book /manga person all his life. His new movie Pacific Rim pays homage to Japanese Mech and Monsters.

On the note of Battle Angel Atila, Cameron already said that he won't be working on it until 2020 at the earliest. So don't expect a film out anytime soon. I'm pretty sure by the time he has it out we would have all forgotten about it lmao.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to hear so much positive excitement for the project. Recently I've found even more news. Naoki Urasawa wants to read each script for the first HBO season of Monster before anyone has permission to begin production. Guillermo De Toro has also stated that he plans to keep the show very faithful to the original source, not adding anything to lengthen it out. He has also stated that the show will be short, as it's faithfully adapted from the manga. De Toro and Steve Thompson have already wriiten and submitted the script for the pilot episode to HBO.

In the meantime I still have to read the manga and watch the original show! But as I'm almost finished 20th Century Boys, I'll start on Monster soon. May as well read Pluto sometime too.

Loading Video...

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some more news here, and a video interview on Monster!

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers