My X-Men: DoFP Top 5 **SPOILERS! Beware!**

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By RobotMonster

I loved X-Men: Days of Future Past, though claims arising that it is "the best comic book movie ever" are a little short-sighted. Yes, it certainly has a huge ensemble cast and successfully ties together six other films, and it was commercially successful, but there have been other movies that weren't sequels that were as successful with smaller budgets and less well-known casts. BUT! This is not about poo-poo mouthing the movie! Here are the top five things I loved about it.

5. Hugh Jackman has now played a character in a comic book movie franchise longer than any other actor. Jackman's Wolverine has appeared in seven films, and eight if you count the deleted scene in Fantastic Four when Reed Richards shape-shifts into Logan. Patrick Stewart and Robert Downey, Jr. are close behind, but Jackman takes the lead.

4. Speaking of Patrick Stewart, I was concerned that I wasn't going to be able to take Patrick Stewart seriously as Professor X anymore after hearing him voice CIA DIrector Avery Bullock on American Dad, but happily, this was not the case. Stewart is a remarkably versatile actor, who can pull off sci-fi drama, comedy, and classical drama with equal prowess.

3. I was concerned that Quicksilver was going to be a bust, but the sequences featuring the character were so much fun to watch, and I loved the soundtrack. I'd point out, though, that there were no Walkman's in 1973. Peeps were rocking vinyl and 8-tracks back then.

2. When Stan Lee initially envisioned the X-Men, it was a vehicle for discussing civil rights issues with a younger audience. Professor X is MLK to Magneto's Malcolm X. While that dynamic is still viable throughout this movie, I also liked that their relationship has the additional element of romantic tension with Mystique. Comic purists hate it, but since the films have ignored the Rogue-Nightcrawler-Mystique triangle and the shape-shifter's past with Sabretooth, this was a nice way to make her a more well-rounded character. Also, Jennifer Lawrence is much more likeable to me in this role than as Katniss in The Hunger Games franchise.

1. Finally, the Star Trek-esque reboot of the franchise. F*** you, X3; you never happened. The post credit scene indicates more movies to come, but with history having been rewritten, audiences will be in totally new territory. SWEET. Exploring the unknown is more exciting to me than stomping over familiar ground. =)

Mozel

Rob.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Fallschirmjager

DoFP is a movie with terrific story telling on top of all the other stuff.That's why people think its great.

There really is nothing wrong with the film whatsoever imo. Any complaint you could make is minor.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The unique thing about the romantic tension with Mystique between the Professor and Magneto is that it's not really romantic. Sure Magneto may've been sexually attracted to Mystique but his main desire for her is her ability, while with the Professor he just wants his "sister" back.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@robotmonster:

Nice catch with the Walkman. The fan girl in me wanted to claim that because of his tendency to steal, he might have grabbed a test one off of somewhere, but that wouldn't explain the tape in it. Or would it? I am already rearranging it in my mind to make sense, haha.

I enjoyed reading your blog and I am so with you on the eradication of X-Men 3. Praise be to whatever you might believe in.

@jnr6lil said:

The unique thing about the romantic tension with Mystique between the Professor and Magneto is that it's not really romantic. Sure Magneto may've been sexually attracted to Mystique but his main desire for her is her ability, while with the Professor he just wants his "sister" back.

I agree. Which is what made the scene with Mystique pointing the plastic gun at the men who were in the "safe" room so poignant. Charles finally stopped telling her what to do and proved his belief in her.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@fallschirmjager: The two or three complaints I do have are minor (JFK the mutant, Pietro's Walkman).

@hislolita: Thank you. I believe in the Shield.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Didn't even think about the thing with the Walkman. Nice catch.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fallschirmjager: It's Xmen, that alone is enough not to see it.

Nah, glad people like it. I may hate the Xmen, but this is good for all hero films when one does well.

captinduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@fallschirmjager: It's Xmen, that alone is enough not to see it.

Nah, glad people like it. I may hate the Xmen, but this is good for all hero films when one does well.

frist class and wolverine was better than x3 so i thought this would be the best but i was let down it like all the movies at one time even the bad ones

DoFP is a movie with terrific story telling on top of all the other stuff.That's why people think its great.

There really is nothing wrong with the film whatsoever imo. Any complaint you could make is minor.

Loading Video...

about that wolverine ass?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that Stan Lee didn't have a cameo scene...