My thoughts on Phantom Pain

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Edited By Samimista

Cause you all know it was just a matter of time. ;) For those who don't know, I like to consider myself to be a major gamer and an avid Metal Gear Solid fan. I even sometimes use the alias SeleniumSnake online so that speaks for itself.

Last night was Spike TV's Video Game Awards hosted by Samuel L. Jackson. I don't really watch their awards show as I'm more into E3 but, I decided to tune in to see Tomb Raider and Metal Gear footage.

However, I honestly did not think Phantom Pain was a Metal Gear Solid game. I do admit though, for the first few seconds of the trailer I did think it was Rising since one of Rising's live action (I know Phantom Pain wasn't live action but at first it looked like it to me) trailers takes place with doctors. Once the mechanical arm was shown, I brushed this thought off and did believe it was entirely a new game. I didn't really pay attention to much was going on last night with the trailer.

Kind of funny though, I wasn't able to stay up late last night due to family events but, kept hoping and hoping I would see Metal Gear footage. Whether it to be Ground Zeroes or Rising. This morning before plans kicked in, I searched online in hopes to see a trailer or two. Sure be it, I saw multiple articles stating that Phantom Pain is most likely Metal Gear Solid V.

My mind was blown. Hideo raped it without my consent. But seriously, if you are a fan of the series, you know Hideo is a clever troll. In a good way though. Hideo Kojima and Tetsuya Nomura are the only two people I consider as major influences and inspirations in my life thanks to their stories. I would of never guessed that son of a gun would of pulled this off. Sure, he made us believe Solid Snake was going to be the only playable character in Metal Gear Solid 2 along a bunch of things but, taking the time to hoodwink everyone by creating a fake company and etc? Now that's what I call an entertainer who knows how to keep people guessing.

He even had this plot out for almost a year prior to last night:

The big question; is this really Metal Gear Sold V or Ground Zeroes?

It's very clear the main character is Big Boss. No way is it Solid. He has the mullet, bandage around eye, Naked Snake wore a similar outfit to the character in a campfire scene with Eva in Snake Eater, and the main character runs exactly like Big Boss in Peace Walker. Hideo however did mention he isn't done with David's (Solid Snake) story but I say that means a remake of Metal Gear 1 & 2 or a baby Solid and Liquid will be in Ground Zeroes. Moving back on topic...

It is very hard to make anything out of the trailer really. Phantom Pain however is real:

"Phantom Eye Syndrome: Phantom pain in the eye and visual hallucinations after the removal of an eye." My question here is, does this syndrome happen right away after an eye is removed or can it be at anytime? That's another big hint it's Big Boss.

Other question; what's up with the hand? I'm unsure but found this:

"Big Boss lost his right eye, right ear, and his limbs after his battle with Snake in the original Metal Gear, and became the first test subject of Madnar’s Snatcher Project, in which his limbs and injured organs were replaced with state of the art prosthetics, supposedly under the supervision of an unidentified despot in the Eastern Bloc.”

The doctor in the beginning resembles Kio Marv from one of the older Metal Gear games:

I found an interesting comment on the trailer; "If you look at the elevator at 0:52, you will see the lit up "G" representing that they are on the ground floor. Next to it is the following numbers 1-3. The "G" is where a zero would be."

There's quite a few theories circulating when this game takes place. I think it's quite obvious that it is Metal Gear related. Hideo himself even attended the awards show and the people in his studio wore Phantom Pain shirts. The graphics also look like they were run on FOX Engine that Ground Zeroes is using.

I've been watching the trailer quite a bit today to catch everything that other people have notice. Such as the flower petals from the fight with The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3, her horse possibly in it, The Fury in flames (people say Volgin, I can see that with the body type but I say it's The Fury), and for a second we got a glimpse of Psycho Mantis's gas mask.

I don't know if it's just me but I found it really depressing with John (Big Boss) crawling in agony. He clearly is vulnerable. There's been rumors the bandage guy following him is possibly Frank Jaegar. If that's the case, that's just awesome. Grey Fox is my favorite character of the series and deserves more attention than what he gets.

I might post more on this but just wanted to share my current thoughts with you guys and gals since I love Metal Gear Solid and really look up to Hideo so much. Here's to hoping we'll get more information soon as this will be my death trying to figure everything out. Overall, I did get my wish that Metal Gear Solid did in fact appear at VGA but didn't even realize it til this morning. Funny how that works out.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Great blog, I wish I could type a longer reply, but my word limit is restricted. Trailer was trippy. I do hope Grey Fox has a part in the story. Naomi too sorta, but yeah.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

Not a massive fan of the series (mostly due to not having played one). But I've always been interested in it. I personally think it'll be MGSV. Maybe because part of me is foolish enough to believe Kojima when he says that GZ is a prologue to MGSV. Regardless, good blog.

Also, found this earlier. The guy makes some decent points.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was so Naked Snake in the trailer

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Inverno

Nicely written my friend :)

Yeah, from what it looks like its probably a spin-off set in the MGS universe.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Samimista

@SC: Aw thank you. ^___^

@_Zombie_: If you ever have any questions on the series feel free to let me know. The games are in a timeline so it can be tricky to understand. The two original Metal Gears are very hard (HD Collection has it to where you can change the modes) and back then the saving was a bit weird. I would read up on the two originals then play, Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, and then the 4th. Rising was originally non canon but now it's canon as far as I know. That takes place after the 4th.

@slacker the hacker: Totally agree my friend. One of my buddies on here also pointed out that the main character has the facial markings Big Boss has in Ground Zeroes. Really am curious how this will play out though.

@CaioTrubat: Aw thank you. =D I dunno about a spin-off but that is a possibility. I mean we don't know much of what it's even about so who knows. Guess this also puts a twist on the, "From FOX, two phantoms were born." quote.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By TheGoldenOne
I saw the trailer but i didn't even know it was a Metal gear game O_o
Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Samimista

@TheGoldenOne said:

I saw the trailer but i didn't even know it was a Metal gear game O_o

If it makes you feel better I honestly didn't think of anything until the morning after the VGAs. Never would of thought Hideo would of pulled this off.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By renamed040924
Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Samimista

@nickzambuto said:

Turns out Joakim Mogren actually exists...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joakim_Mogren

Gasp! *insert camera close up towards my face* He's a blonde surfer dude! Oh noes! I can't even tell who he really is. It's just like how I can't figure out why this cardboard box keeps moving everytime I walk.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By renamed040924

@Samimista said:

@nickzambuto said:

Turns out Joakim Mogren actually exists...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joakim_Mogren

Gasp! *insert camera close up towards my face* He's a blonde surfer dude! Oh noes! I can't even tell who he really is. It's just like how I can't figure out why this cardboard box keeps moving everytime I walk.

Don't worry about it. It's

*puts sunglasses on*

...Just a box.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Samimista

@nickzambuto

Oh my gosh....I just realized who Joakim is...He's Owen Wilson! I mean look at that hair. It's totally Owen Wilson.

EDIT: I wrote on that dude's Twitter. Joakim in the site you linked me too. Let's see if he'll answer!

BigRed125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigRed125

If this is indeed a MGS game, my bet is on it having to do with the Les Enfants Terriblés project. Aparently Big Boss went into a comatose state during battle and his body was recovered by the United States government. He remained in a coma from 1970 to 1972.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Samimista

@BigRed125 said:

If this is indeed a MGS game, my bet is on it having to do with the Les Enfants Terriblés project. Aparently Big Boss went into a comatose state during battle and his body was recovered by the United States government. He remained in a coma from 1970 to 1972.

Yeah I read about that last night. That would also explain if Grey Fox truly is the bandaged man following John. Plus, it makes sense with the doctor who most likely is Kio Marv from the original Metal Gear games.

BigRed125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BigRed125

I actually just did a bit more research into this and even that seems a bit unlikely now. Honestly, I'm completely confused with where this story would take place. I'll need to correct myself on the 1970 to 1972 bit. Turns out it happened during 1972, with Big Boss waking up a few months later. Its looking more likely of it taking place between Metal Gear 1 and 2 due to Big Boss's age and the unaccounted two years between the aftermath of the Outer Heaven Uprising and the Mercenary Wars that lead to the liberation of the Zanzibar Province. If that's the case, then I will also theorize that the bandaged man is either Grey Fox or Psycho Mantis.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Samimista

@BigRed125 said:

I actually just did a bit more research into this and even that seems a bit unlikely now. Honestly, I'm completely confused with where this story would take place. I'll need to correct myself on the 1970 to 1972 bit. Turns out it happened during 1972, with Big Boss waking up a few months later. Its looking more likely of it taking place between Metal Gear 1 and 2 due to Big Boss's age and the unaccounted two years between the aftermath of the Outer Heaven Uprising and the Mercenary Wars that lead to the liberation of the Zanzibar Province. If that's the case, then I will also theorize that the bandaged man is either Grey Fox or Psycho Mantis.

I'm confused as well. Been a fan of the series since 2008 and played each 3 - 4 times yet Hideo managed to confuse us all. Also, didn't we see Psycho Mantis? At least that's what everyone claims towards the end.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By renamed040924

Next to the UK flag. I'm almost positive the map is a map of Cyprus.

But the map is cropped like this...

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Samimista

@nickzambuto: I've read about the UK flag but didn't of the map. Really interesting. Isn't Sokolov from the UK? Maybe we'll get a mention of him.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By YoungJustice

Never heard of this..

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Samimista

@YoungJustice: Have you heard of VGAs that Spike TV has? It was on Friday night I think. The first trailer they showed was of Phantom Pain and someone from NeoGAF posted this theory that circulated on the internet of Phantom Pain being a Metal Gear Solid game. Really an accurate theory too.

I forgot to show everyone this but Zambuto previously posted a link to a fake account (as a joke) of Joakim Mogren which is an anagram for Kojima and the 'ogre' in Mogren could mean his Project OGRE. Anyways, two days ago, I was Twittering this fake account just for the laughs cause it was an awesome idea. I dunno if it's up now but the owner of the fake Joakim Mogren account did an interview with the popular gaming news site Kotaku.

Here's a screenshot of the reply I got back from the dude:

No Caption Provided

Lol! Felt like a stalker as it took me so many replies to get him to answer. It was worth it though since it's unlikely I'll get another. He even added me on Steam.

PlasticBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PlasticBag

@Samimista: Wow you did beat me to it! Sorry if I seemed to copy your post! Without spoiling though what game did Snake and Big Boss fight in that left him so injured??

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Samimista

@PlasticBag: Oh don't worry about it! Everyone should post their thoughts on the game. That's what the community is about. Sharing thoughts. =) Besides, I kinda took the quotes from other sources so it's all good. xD

Honestly, I never beat the original Metal Gear games (Never went that far in maybe like 10 minutes due to difficulty) so I can't really answer but, I think it was in the original Metal Gear. I won't spoil anything but if I had to guess, this takes place between Metal Gear 1 and 2.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Samimista: Honestly when I first seen he was missing a hand I instantly thought of Ocelot after Fox takes it from him also I don't think the bandaged guy is Fox as it looks like he's shot and killed towards the end

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Samimista

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Samimista: Honestly when I first seen he was missing a hand I instantly thought of Ocelot after Fox takes it from him also I don't think the bandaged guy is Fox as it looks like he's shot and killed towards the end

But wasn't it Ocelot's other hand that's Liquid's? I'll have to rewatch the trailer but I think the mechanical hand was on the opposite arm than the one on Ocelot's? I thought it was another guy that got shot but it could of been the bandaged guy. Lots of theories are up in the air. Just hoping soon we get more footage so we can make more out of this.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By renamed040924

@Samimista said:

@nickzambuto: I've read about the UK flag but didn't of the map. Really interesting. Isn't Sokolov from the UK? Maybe we'll get a mention of him.

Sokolov is Russian! The entire plot of MGS3 revolved around him defecting!

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By renamed040924

@PlasticBag said:

@Samimista: Wow you did beat me to it! Sorry if I seemed to copy your post! Without spoiling though what game did Snake and Big Boss fight in that left him so injured??

The original Metal Gear way back on the MSX/NES. Then once again in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake which came out a few years later.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Samimista

@nickzambuto said:

@PlasticBag said:

The original Metal Gear way back on the MSX/NES. Then once again in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake which came out a few years later.

Yeah this is what I thought.

@nickzambuto said:

@Samimista said:

Sokolov is Russian! The entire plot of MGS3 revolved around him defecting!

That's right. My bad.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Samimista said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

But wasn't it Ocelot's other hand that's Liquid's? I'll have to rewatch the trailer but I think the mechanical hand was on the opposite arm than the one on Ocelot's? I thought it was another guy that got shot but it could of been the bandaged guy. Lots of theories are up in the air. Just hoping soon we get more footage so we can make more out of this.

maybe, it's been a while so I'm not sure what arm it was. Ether way, what ever this game turns out to be it still looks great

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Samimista

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Samimista said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

maybe, it's been a while so I'm not sure what arm it was. Ether way, what ever this game turns out to be it still looks great

Lol! I always get confused with the arm as well. Completely agree. Interesting to how Hideo pulled this off. Has he made any official statements yet on the theories circulating online?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lykopis

Uhm -- where the hell was I that I didn't see this earlier....especially since I lost my mind missing out on the VGA's and hmmm....

(cool reading it now though -- off to read your following blogs)

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Hehe! I'll probably be keeping up with Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes on here. xD

Lykos? Lykos? LYKOOOOS!