My friend said the most interesting thing today...

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

Edited By Gold Dust Boi

A friend of mine who often sits and watches me type away for hours on this site asked me what I was up to.  I told her I was blogging about a good place to start reading X-men and giving all the ways that House of M branched out into the Marvel U stories.  I also told her about people who message me on here asking for help with the site and all the wiki writing I try to do.  She read some of my blogs and reviews and says to me: "Danny, you know so damn much about these comic books there has to be SOMETHING you can do to turn this into a career because theres nothing you are more passionate about then this"

I started thinking that she totally had a point...but what?? I am not an artist and barely much of a writer, I just know a lot of information...I wondered how I might parlay any of that into a career...

Mostly just musing here... :)

Avatar image for greenlantern555
GreenLantern555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreenLantern555

You can make a career out of reviewing. Basically reading comics and getting paid for it.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do you mean you don't like Writing? 

But you could always with with customers New ones especially in a Comic Shop. You know give them Info on new series of characters' 

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ARMIV

Hmmmm...there's totally something right up your alley, but I just can't think of it at the moment...

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
@GreenLantern555 said:
You can make a career out of reviewing. Basically reading comics and getting paid for it.
I would do that totally...if there was a career to be made out of blogging and reviewing I'll find it!!  

Hmmm...the Perez Hilton of comics has a nice ring to it :) 

@The Umbra Sorcerer: Yeah I do that at my local store...the guys that work there are thrilled when they don't have to sit and explain things LOL
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Shadow_Thief
@Gold Dust Boi: This is going to come off as me being a buzzkill, but you do bring up an interesting cautionary note: "...the guys that work there are thrilled when they don't have to sit and explain things." The thing you have to watch out for when turning your passion into your career is that the thing that you love so much will suddenly become your job. I loved movies my entire life, but after five years of working in a video store (watching movies, organizing movies, talking with customers and coworkers about movies), it got to the point where the last thing I wanted to do in my free time was watch a movie; it felt like I was bringing my work home with me. I'm not saying don't do it; doing something you enjoy for a living will always trump doing something you hate, but just be aware of the fact that it may change how you feel about it.
sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sj_esposito

You should understand that reviewing comics on the web is a viable career. Ask Tony or Sara; they make a living off of this stuff (or at least I think they do). The internet, and especially the comics world, is a hard place to make a living, but it can be done. 

I know you said that you don't like writing much, but you might want to take a few classes or writing workshops. You may learn to like the creativity. 

There's also the prospect of making a career out of editing, but that requires a lot of studying and there's no guarantee that you'll work in comics. 

And lastly, there's the business side of the industry. Marvel, DC, Image -- they all need accountants, marketing people, maybe even 'librarians', etc.. 

Good luck!

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
@sEsposito7 said:
You should understand that reviewing comics on the web is a viable career. Ask Tony or Sara; they make a living off of this stuff (or at least I think they do). The internet, and especially the comics world, is a hard place to make a living, but it can be done.  I know you said that you don't like writing much, but you might want to take a few classes or writing workshops. You may learn to like the creativity.  There's also the prospect of making a career out of editing, but that requires a lot of studying and there's no guarantee that you'll work in comics.  And lastly, there's the business side of the industry. Marvel, DC, Image -- they all need accountants, marketing people, maybe even 'librarians', etc..  Good luck!
No no no its not that I don't like writing, "not much of a writer" meaning I dont think I'm that great...I like writing as long as I have something to say and write about.
Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

script writer?

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By -Eclipse-
@sEsposito7 said:
  And lastly, there's the business side of the industry. Marvel, DC, Image -- they all need accountants, marketing people, maybe even 'librarians', etc..  Good luck!

This.
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Play trivia games?

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Gold Dust Boi said:
A friend of mine who often sits and watches me type away for hours on this site asked me what I was up to.  I told her I was blogging about a good place to start reading X-men and giving all the ways that House of M branched out into the Marvel U stories.  I also told her about people who message me on here asking for help with the site and all the wiki writing I try to do.  She read some of my blogs and reviews and says to me: "Danny, you know so damn much about these comic books there has to be SOMETHING you can do to turn this into a career because theres nothing you are more passionate about then this"  I started thinking that she totally had a point...but what?? I am not an artist and barely much of a writer, I just know a lot of information...I wondered how I might parlay any of that into a career...  Mostly just musing here... :)
Had a friend who worked at Wizard Magazine. Try to get your foot in the door at a review site or Industry magazine.