My Flower Garden (Week 1)

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By ccraft

So I decided I wanted to do a blog about my garden that I'm trying to get started, not only to share with you how to start your very own, but to also document the progress of the flowers for myself. I could use this in future to avoid the same problems that I might face. I will be going through step by step of how I got to week one, if you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. If you have any question, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Step 1: Buying the right supplies

So I started my garden inside (see pictures below), which is a good way to start a flower garden. Especially around the beginning of spring time. I do enjoy having them inside, because I can check on them anytime I feel like it.

Supplies: JIFFY Seed Starter Greenhouse (x50); JIFFY Organic Seed Starter Mix; Flower Seeds of your choosing. Cost: approximately $15, it will cost more depending on how many seeds you buy.

1 bag of the Jiffy starter mix will be enough for approximately 2-3 Jiffy Greenhouses.

Step 2: Research

Full grown African Daisies
Full grown African Daisies

Before planting your seeds into the Jiffy Seed Starter Greenhouse, you'll need to know exactly how to plant the seeds, which means you'll need to do some research. The people at Lowe's Garden Center have been very helpful to me, so try asking them for some assistance. But some things you'll need to look up for yourself. Example: The African Daisy seeds need to be on top of the soil to germinate.Germination means the time period for the seed to turn into a seedling.Germination depends on the seed you have, for the African Daisies it takes between 7-15 days to germinate. If you look at my images below you will see what a African Daisy looks like just after 7 days.

Step 3: Patience, then Maintenance!

No Caption Provided

You need to be patient, just because you haven't seen the seeds start growing, doesn't mean they will never grow. I had the same doubts too, for a few days I only had 7 or 10 seed pots actually have seedlings growing in them, the other 40 seed pots had no signs of seed growth. I put various different seeds in my Jiffy Greenhouse, and those different seeds required more time to germinate. Now at day 7, most of the 50 pots have seedlings growing in each pot.

Maintenance, I recommend putting 2-3 seeds in each each pot to ensure you get the most out your seeds. This way, when you have a few empty pots with dead seeds in them, you can transplant your seeding into that pot. You only need one seedling in one pot, so once you don't need to transplant any more seedlings, go ahead and start plucking seedlings out of the pots until only one remains in each pot.

Be sure to always keep the soil damp with water, this may mean watering them a few times a day. If soil is dry, it needs water. Remember not to over water them.

My Flower Garden: Week One

Fully Grown Marigolds
Fully Grown Marigolds

I didn't organize my seedlings properly so I had to make a complicated list of where I planted the seeds and what I planted. It is a good idea to label your seeds so you'll know which is which. And to organize them so it won't be such a hassle once you have to remove them to plant outside or to plant in a pot. I did a better job at organizing my seeds in my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Greenhouse.

I planted Black Eyed Susan Vines, African Daisies, Marigolds, Shanta Daisies, Chinese Forget-Me-Nots, and Lupines. The images below are in order of this list.

Expect a second blog on week 2 of my flowers on April 8th

200 pots in all! :O
200 pots in all! :O

I started 3 more Greenhouses on March31st, expect a blog on week one of these three Greenhouses on April 7th

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By amazing_webhead

good luck!

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hope it works out fine.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noice

*ccraft rushes to check who replied to his blog but when he finds what is inside he is severely disappointed, its only tnt :(*

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

Noice

*ccraft rushes to check who replied to his blog but when he finds what is inside he is severely disappointed, its only tnt :(*

Loading Video...

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hope it would turn out pretty. ^^

SClint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SClint

Wow your garden will look awesome with such beautiful flowers. I am looking for some housing flowering plants as we had turn the excess space in our backyard into a grannyflatsolutions granny flats. And as I am a flower lover need some ideas on housing plant.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's to hoping it looks pretty!

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH GOD

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: @kingvenus: @mfundroid: @theblondegod: @ryagan: Thanks for commenting and wishing me luck on my gardening.

@sclint said:

Wow your garden will look awesome with such beautiful flowers. I am looking for some housing flowering plants as we had turn the excess space in our backyard into a grannyflatsolutions granny flats. And as I am a flower lover need some ideas on housing plant.

I've been wanting to have some indoor plants too, and theirs a bunch to choose from. I personally like to google search images of "indoor plants living room" to find some examples. There's even some air purifying plants you can put in your house. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ccraft: Why make a blog about it?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex: You apparently didn't read it, because I listed why right in the first paragraph! You can never trust a Frenchmen...

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: I indeed saw a few excuses but no real answer!

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am very impressed, cc. I hope you keep us updated.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wish you success.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ccraft: Hmm nice to know that things have started off well for you

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Well I'm having to adjust my seedling every day, they keep growing slanted. I push them back up right. Any ideas why the seedlings are growing slanted? I think it's because it's near the window and just growing toward the sun.

@nefarious: Thanks, I hope it turns out well.

@ms-lola: Thanks Lola, and I will! Today a few of my sunflower have become seedlings! I was so happy when I saw it! :)

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ccraft said:

@impurestcheese: Well I'm having to adjust my seedling every day, they keep growing slanted. I push them back up right. Any ideas why the seedlings are growing slanted? I think it's because it's near the window and just growing toward the sun.

@nefarious: Thanks, I hope it turns out well.

@ms-lola: Thanks Lola, and I will! Today a few of my sunflower have become seedlings! I was so happy when I saw it! :)

Your welcome.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#24 BumpyBoo  Moderator

This is lovely! Good luck :)

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WarBlade539

GOOD LUCK!!!!

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

@thenaughtytitan said:

Noice

Loading Video...

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a reminder, on April 8th there's a new blog coming out.

The seedlings are so BIG now, the true leaves are just now starting to sprout. I can't wait.

@flazam: Thanks Flazam :D :D

@bumpyboo said:

This is lovely! Good luck :)

Thank you! :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'm feeling good about it :D

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Yus! Plants are awesome. I've only planted vegetables and fruits myself. I have a Papaya tree, a Mango tree and a Lemon tree to my name. ^.^

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ccraft

@WarBlade539: Wow that's awesome, the Lemon tree is so pretty, I don't eat lemons but I wish I had one lol. I wish I had an apple tree or banana one, I love Bananas :D Plants are awesome. Do you grow any flowers?

Do you grow them in a greenhouse or outside?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@WarBlade539: Wow that's awesome, the Lemon tree is so pretty, I don't eat lemons but I wish I had one lol. I wish I had an apple tree or banana one, I love Bananas :D Plants are awesome. Do you grow any flowers?

Do you grow them in a greenhouse or outside?

They really are.
I don't but my mum has a flower-garden. Gardening her hobby. I grew the trees in the vegetable garden, on the backyard of parents' house. It was a long time ago when I little haha.
Oooh yes! Bananas are badass lol.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By TheDandyMan

Any advancements with the garden?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: Sadly no. The one's in those pictures became too leggy because they didn't get enough sun. So they grew tall and flopped over a few days after week 2. So I decided to start over. 5/15 will be 1 month for my new flowers I have growing. I have about 21 healthy flowers growing in my room, I actually have them outside trying to harden them off so I can plant them in the ground. Hopefully by the 15th of May. I should make a new blog with the progress I've made.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@ccraft: Plants can be pretty hard to grow, well done on not just giving up after the first lot though.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ccraft

@thedandyman: If this batch fails to grow I will probably wait and take a few classes on gardening before attempting it again. But for some odd reason my African Daisies always flop over... perhaps those need more sun than the others. See I bought 2 growing lights and I keep them on above the plants when the sun comes up and when it gets dark I turn them off.

Here's a few pictures I took a few days ago.