#1 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

So recently I have been coming up with amazing ideas for an epic SciFi-Fantasy story, but I have so many ideas that I'm not sure whether to make it all one big world or make it it's own thing. Every time I come up with an idea for instance, I always think, ok, so how do I include this in my story, but then I realize that it might be better off on it's own. So I know this is vague but what is better in your opinion? A grand-sized epic or multiple, still awesome, but perhaps more genuine stories. I would release my ideas online but I am afraid someone might steal my ideas. =P

#2 Posted by JediXMan (30178 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's what I do when I have this dilemma:

Write something. Just write a draft and keep expanding on it. If at any point you feel like adding certain elements would feel extremely forced, then put those other ideas away in notes until you have a chance to use them.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Here's what I do when I have this dilemma:

Write something. Just write a draft and keep expanding on it. If at any point you feel like adding certain elements would feel extremely forced, then put those other ideas away in notes until you have a chance to use them.

Pretty good advice.

#4 Posted by Inverno (13139 posts) - - Show Bio

I know how that feels. I am writing and drawing a heroic fantasy comic book, and I am having a lot of difficult in the world-building aspect than setting up the story.

#5 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins said:

So recently I have been coming up with amazing ideas for an epic SciFi-Fantasy story, but I have so many ideas that I'm not sure whether to make it all one big world or make it it's own thing. Every time I come up with an idea for instance, I always think, ok, so how do I include this in my story, but then I realize that it might be better off on it's own. So I know this is vague but what is better in your opinion? A grand-sized epic or multiple, still awesome, but perhaps more genuine stories. I would release my ideas online but I am afraid someone might steal my ideas. =P

There are a number of ways you can do this, but it really depends on what you want:

1. Mix: Take the ideas you cherish most and include those. Of course you will have to find a logical way to include them in the story, this may mean rebooting characters or even resorting to cliche's. But it won't matter if your writing/punctuation/characters are good enough to be interesting.

2. Make the story based on what characters would do only, essentially letting them decide their fates. There may be some things that are out of their control that you plan to happen. But for the most part things happen because of choices. This is less forced than option one and more unique, but you REALLY have to know your characters inside and out. Everything is PREDICTABLE if you know know enough about said subject. How do you think we know how to get to the moon even though it's moving? That goes for all the other planets.

#6 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I think I have the right things together now, thanks and .

I think I'm going to focus on the characters more so I can build around it and make the story flow more naturally

thanks =)