Movies horror fans should see ?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What are films all good horror fans should see ?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halloween, doweeeeh

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deadite

I'd introduce the ones that touches on certain category that they represent, and I'd also suggest slasher icons. Then there's the classic monsters. Since it's your first entry I would just introduce the ones that I considered essential.

Evil Dead trilogy - Horror Comedy found its finest habitat in Evil Dead. The powers, setup, the main character was good enough that they turned the switch off on viewers' judgement. I doubt anyone was laughing when they watch this series. It does its job perfectly.

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining - I consider it a defining Horror film. It's immune to any of the element you'd see in most other modern horror movie that relies on ghost.

A Nightmare On Elm Street series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Friday the 13th series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Halloween series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Hellraiser - Gain knowledge on Gore Horror and Pinhead is a horror icon.

John Carpenter's The Thing - Gain knowledge on creative monster design.

Stephen King's IT - Gain knowledge on creative monster design.

Flowers In the Attic - Gain knowledge on Gothic Horror.

Then there's the classic Horror movie monsters.

You can have a comfortable ride gaining knowledge on this department through Hammer films.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Trick R Treat" is one that hasn't been mentioned. Best horror movie I have seen in some time.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it is hit or miss Cabin in the woods

And the Collector for me its saw done better with a scarier antagonist

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

Alien

The Thing

Last House On The Left

Dawn Of The Dead

Day Of The Dead

Exorcist I & III

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deadite

If you're going to watch Night of the Living Dead, which is a defining zombie movie, I would suggest watching the 1990s remake version. I dislike the fact that Hollywood is making so many remakes but this is one of those rare cases where the remake helps.

If you're a zombie fan, follow @longbowhunter's suggestion with Dawn of and Day of, and include Night of the Living Dead (1990).

Here's a few more suggestions that has a zombie theme:

1. The Stuff
  2. Return of the Living Dead
  3. Night of the Comet
  4. Demons (1985)

Respectful vampire gore flicks:

1. John Carpenter's Vampires
  2. Darkness: The Vampire Version
  3. Fright Night
  4. Interview With the Vampire (This one has Romance but it doesn't overdo it.)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite: Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake is stellar. That and Return of the Living Dead were the first two zombie movies I watched. Must have been around '91 or '92. I love the Stuff too. I also have a very distinct memory of staying home sick when I was in 3rd grade, eating ice cream sandwiches and watching Night of the Comet. Great memory. If you want to see George Romero's take on vampires watch Martin. The horror movie, not the terrible 90's sitcom.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deadite

@longbowhunter said:

@deadite: Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake is stellar. That and Return of the Living Dead were the first two zombie movies I watched. Must have been around '91 or '92. I love the Stuff too. I also have a very distinct memory of staying home sick when I was in 3rd grade, eating ice cream sandwiches and watching Night of the Comet. Great memory. If you want to see George Romero's take on vampires watch Martin. The horror movie, not the terrible 90's sitcom.

I think I can totally trust you :D The 3rd Exorcist film was a film I never bothered to watch, I overlooked it completely, same with Halloween 3. Except no one told me it's bad, I just made a decision to completely ignore it. Then a DVD came under my possession, completely free. And that's how I ended up watching it.

After all these years I still think it's better than the original. And it's cool to see someone include it in their list. This is just one of those underdog films I have to not bring up because it's a really old underdog. I'm so glad to see someone on Comic Vine that knows about it.

Thanks for suggesting Martin, I'm definitely going to watch it. A good vampire film is still a scarce treat, in my opinion.

Have you ever watched a TV series Romero wrote called Tales From the Darkside? I only found a few episodes on Youtube but they're all incredibly good. Superior to Tales From the Crypt, in my opinion.

Is the original The Crazies better than the remake The Crazies?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, you are truly a brother in arms. Yes Romero's Crazies is better than the one with Timothy Oliphant. Yeah I know Tales from the Darkside quite well. It was my very favorite show growing up. Watch the episode "Seasons of Belief". I just rewatched Exorcist 3 a few weeks ago. Still terrifying. The old lady crawling on the ceiling, statue of Christ opening his eyes, nurse trying to decapitate daughter...so scary. Fun fact, it was Jeffery Dahmer's favorite movie. That should speak to how scary that movie really is. Also Halloween 3 is my favorite Halloween movie. I understand why people don't like it, but I love me some face melting Silver Shamrock masks.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deadite

@longbowhunter

Yeah, I'm beginning to think so too. :D That fun fact is a creepy fun fact, ha.

I think I enjoyed George C. Scott's acting more so in Exorcist III than in General Patton.

Coolduder said Halloween 3 had begun to grew on him after so many years. I'll watch it eventually I guess.

None of the Halloween movies I watched had good rewatchability so Halloween III might win because of that, who knows.

Have you ever seen a movie called Popcorn (1991)?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never seen Popcorn but I know what movie your talking about. Halloween 3 is absolutely worth your time. I didn't care for any of the Halloween movies other than that one. Patton is a dreadfully boring movie but Scott was excellent in Exorcist 3. You should watch him in the Changeling. Another really good movie that flies under the radar.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@deadite said:

I'd introduce the ones that touches on certain category that they represent, and I'd also suggest slasher icons. Then there's the classic monsters. Since it's your first entry I would just introduce the ones that I considered essential.

Evil Dead trilogy - Horror Comedy found its finest habitat in Evil Dead. The powers, setup, the main character was good enough that they turned the switch off on viewers' judgement. I doubt anyone was laughing when they watch this series. It does its job perfectly.

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining - I consider it a defining Horror film. It's immune to any of the element you'd see in most other modern horror movie that relies on ghost.

A Nightmare On Elm Street series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Friday the 13th series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Halloween series - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - One of the major slasher icon is in this franchise.

Hellraiser - Gain knowledge on Gore Horror and Pinhead is a horror icon.

John Carpenter's The Thing - Gain knowledge on creative monster design.

Stephen King's IT - Gain knowledge on creative monster design.

Flowers In the Attic - Gain knowledge on Gothic Horror.

Then there's the classic Horror movie monsters.

You can have a comfortable ride gaining knowledge on this department through Hammer films.

I would recommend these. Not seen Flowers in The Attic though.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

All Stephen King films

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Faculty

Trick R' Treat

Ju On: The Grudge

Shutter

Halloween

Evil Dead trilogy

The Exorcist

Paranormal Activity

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Scream

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Alive

Return of the Living Dead (1&2)

Phantasm (1-3)

Hellraiser (1&2)

The Mangler

Dr. Giggles

Killer Clowns from Outer Space

The Tingler

12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Alien

The Creeper

Jacob’s Ladder

Audition

Session 9

Dream Home

The Last House on the Left (1972)

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By DCWarFan73

I'll add my favorites from the past:

Nosferatu (1922)

Frankenstein (1931)

The Mummy (1959)

Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Black Christmas (1974)

Martin (1977)

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Silent Night Deadly Night (1985)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#17  Edited By wildvine

"Trick R Treat" is one that hasn't been mentioned. Best horror movie I have seen in some time.

I was gonna suggest this actually

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

• A Nightmare On Elmstreet 1 - 6 (7 is more like a spinoff so its optional)
  • Friday The 13th 1 - 9 (The series feels like it ended with 9, a pretty terrible movie but worth watching since its the end of the story, Jason X is optional)
  • Freddy VS Jason (This is entirely optional but I wanted to suggest watching it right after their respective series for maximum effect)
  • Halloween 1 - 7 Excluding 3 (The third movie is an entirely different story and doesnt even include Michael, its not terrible it just has nothing to do with the rest of the series. 8 sucks feel free to skip it)
  • Hellraiser 1 - 8 (Its worth noting that 1-4 and 5-8 are almost different series, but both are worth watching. Id recommend atleast watching 1,2,5,7 those are by far the best.)
  • Child's Play 1 - 5 (The first is by far the best, the others get very comical, but 1-3 should be watched atleast, Bride of Chucky (4) and Seed Of Chucky (5) is optional)
  • Phantasm 1 - 4 (There's 4 movies right? Havent watched them in a while, the entire series is worth it though.)
  • Candyman 1 - 3 (I consider the first one a MUST, its one of my alltime favorite horror movies. 2 and 3 isnt as good but if you like Candyman they are okay.)
  • Evil Dead 1 (I only really thought the first one was worth watching, but you can watch the rest if you want, it gets alot more comical for each part though)
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original from 1974 is one of the scariest movies you'll see, but please dont watch the remake or the sequals they are absolute crap)
  • The Exorcist (You have to have seen the first one, sequals and prequals are optional)
  • Jaws (The first, sequals optional)
  • Psycho (The original from 1960 is a must see)
  • Cujo (Just watch it)
  • Pet Semetary (Yes its spelled with an S, I dont know why. Really good must see movie)
  • Stephen King's IT (Clown! :( )
  • Poltergeist (Classic)
  • The Dentist 1 - 2 (You'll never wanna go to one again)
  • The Blair Witch Project (The first movie of its kind, and kinda scary if you let yourself get immersed, the second one is crap)
  • Ju-on ( Also known as The Grudge, I dont find these movies very scary but nonetheless its one of those every horror fan should have seen atleast once, Just make sure to get the Japanese original called Ju-On and not the terrible american remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar *cringe*, Watch the first, watch the rest if you liked it.)
  • The Eye 1 - 2 (Both are excellent horror movie but very different from eachother, the first one relies on more shock scares while the second tries to make you slowly more uncomfortable. Japanese movies.)
  • The Last House On The Left (Honestly I dont remember this movie super well, but its one of those everyone should have seen I think.)
  • House By The Cemetary (Really terrible dubbing on an annoying kid, but if you can look past that its probably one of the scariest movies i know)
  • The Shining (The movie with Jack Nicholson not the mini series, its a classic and has its moments.)
  • Nosferatu 1922 (The first horror movie ever made, actually not bad even though theres no dialogue, I got swept up)
  • Silence Of The Lambs (Must see classic, sequals optional)
  • Alien 1-2 (I dont consider these horror as much as I do Sci-Fi but they are amazing eitherway, I dont remember wich parts are best, but atleast watch the first two.)
  • The Omen (The first is a must see classic, the sequals arent that great.)
  • Phenomena (I had to list this because its one of my personal favorites, and in my opinion the best Argento movie, features a young Jennifer Connelly.)

So this is my must see list, I tried putting in the movies I could think of that every horror fan must have seen whether I actually liked them or not. One general rule if you are gonna watch horror movies is to ALWAYS make sure its uncut, the whole point of watching a horror movie is to be scared or disturbed and when someone cuts away the scariest parts it kinda defeats the purpose, and it happens alot. What I do when im gonna buy a movie is I go on IMDB and check how many minutes of runtime is on the uncut version - then make sure the site/dvd I am buying has the same listed runtime, because sometimes they dont tell you that its cut and you wont know until its to late. Also try to always watch the originals before you watch a remake, most of the time the original is better and even if its not you'll want to be able to compare.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@risingbean said:

I was gonna suggest this actually

You have good taste, ma'am.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic relief;

Encounters of the Spooky Kind

Mr. Vampire

Bio Zombie

Return of the Living Dead

Braindead/Dead Alive

Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man

Shaun of the Dead

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nightmare on Elm Street: If you like the first one, I'd suggest 3 next. 2 wasn't that good.

Friday the 13th: Start with #3 if you want Jason in the mask. The first 2 films get summed in the first few minutes.

Halloween: With the exception of the third film, it's pretty consistently good. The remakes were also good.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: I kind of prefer the remake TBO.

Night of the Living Dead: Watch the 1990 remake, it's better.

Scream: Parts 1, 2, and 4 were the best.

Saw: A great introduction to the torture horror films.

Final Destination: A fun, over the top horror film series.

Evil Dead: A campy horror series that's a lot of fun. Don't miss Army of Darkness also.

Deep Blue Sea: IMO, the best of the shark movies.

Phantasm: An often overlooked classic, and the Tall Man is kind of creepy.

Fright Night: I liked the remake more.

John Carpenter's Vampires: If you like vampires not being romantic (Twilight) or bordering on homo-erotic (Interview with a Vampire)

An American Werewolf in London: It actually won an Oscar for make up, a rare feat for a horror film.

From Dusk Till Dawn: Well written, and has a good cast.

Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland: It's fun, has tons of zombies zombies, and will make you laugh.

Psycho: A classic, psychologically intense, slasher film.

Hellraiser: Watch the first 3, the series goes to Hell after that.

World War Z: A big budget zombie movie, done fairly well.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paranormal Activity. It's horrifying how such a bad movie can be so popular.

Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stevens61310

For the individual who questioned the spelling of Pet Semetary. The "Semetary" in question is a small plot of land that is way off the beaten path. It was created decades ago by a backwards--maybe even illiterate-- town. It was never spoken of but some one had gotten the idea to put up a small wooden sign with the words "Pet Semetary" carved into the sign. Mostly to help guide others who had intentions of using the plot. Stephen King wanted to get across the idea of how out-of-the-way, backwards, superstitious, and probably uneducated the society using this plot of land is.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hitchcock is meant to be the master of suspense so maybe 'The birds'.

Though not exactly a movie, Marble Hornets is underrated due to it being a web series and it made Slenderman famous enough to get a game.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nerdork said:

Dead Alive

Return of the Living Dead (1&2)

Phantasm (1-3)

Hellraiser (1&2)

The Mangler

Dr. Giggles

Killer Clowns from Outer Space

The Tingler

12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Alien

The Creeper

Jacob’s Ladder

Audition

Session 9

Dream Home

The Last House on the Left (1972)

Only if you get the Vibration seats :D

Freddy vs Jason

Wizard of Gore

100 Feet (Strangely a very good and creepy movie by The Asylum)

Jaws

Body Bags by John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper

Creep Show 1 and 2

Tales From The Darkside The Movie (Technically Creepshow 3)

Dead Alive

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By DCWarFan73

Dead Snow

Braindead

Shock Waves

Shaun of the Dead

for you fans of good well made zombie films... not the crap made after 28 Days Later