• 56 results
#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

What animated show or movie do you think had the most memorable or the most shocking and saddest deaths? Mine's are:

1. Mufusa's death in The Lion King:

This was a scene that really stood out in everyone's minds when talking about the Lion King. I found this death to be really heartbreaking since most kids would relate to Simba's situation if they lost their parents.

2. Emma Frost's death in Wolverine and the X-Men:

this was probably the most shocking death I've seen come out of this cartoon (well, I think it was the only major death in this cartoon). The fact that Emma Frost tried to hold in the Phoenix Force in her diamond form to save the world and then blow up into a million pieces was definitely shocking and sad to see.

3. Bambi's mother's death in Bambi:

This moment definitely stood out for me as it was one of the first deaths of a parent in an animated movie and the one that really resided in the audience's minds.

4. Bunny's death in The Powerpuff Girls:

Bunny, who was the clone sister that the Powerpuff Girls had created in "Twisted Sister" was definitely heartbreaking since it just happened out of the blue and this was definitely the death that most fans talked about the most.

5. The Toon Shoe's death in Who Framed Roger Rabbit:

I've mentioned how Judge Doom's own death was definitely iconic, but the death of the innocent little toon shoe where it was being "dipped" was the one that really burned into fans' minds.

6. Vegeta's death during the Majin Buu saga:

I found this death to be the most heartwarming and gut wrenching out of the entire Dragonball Z series because during this moment, Vegeta started to realize that Goku only became the best warrior because he wanted to protect his family and friends from all evil and this caused Vegeta to do the same for his family and friends. So, Vegeta decided to sacrifice himself to save the world from Majin Buu.

7. Krillin's death during the Frieza Saga:

This moment was sad and iconic because Krillin's death pretty much caused Goku to transform into a Super Saiyan for the first time.

#2 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6249 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman in the new Batman Adventures

#3 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14948 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by The Stegman (25034 posts) - - Show Bio

Lelouch's death because he sacrificed himself to save the worl

Light's death, or more specifically, the moments leading up to it, him running and seeing an image of his younger, innocent self was heartbreaking.

#5 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Optimus Prime

#6 Posted by Samimista (20831 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised no one's mentioned Kamina yet. =O

#7 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

L and Light Yagami

#8 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Lelouch's death because he sacrificed himself to save the worl

Light's death, or more specifically, the moments leading up to it, him running and seeing an image of his younger, innocent self was heartbreaking.

I definitely remembered the scene where Light dies in Death Note, even though he sort of deserved it...

#9 Posted by comicace3 (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

What animated show or movie do you think had the most memorable or the most shocking and saddest deaths? Mine's are:

1. Mufusa's death in The Lion King:

This was a scene that really stood out in everyone's minds when talking about the Lion King. I found this death to be really heartbreaking since most kids would relate to Simba's situation if they lost their parents.

2. Emma Frost's death in Wolverine and the X-Men:

this was probably the most shocking death I've seen come out of this cartoon (well, I think it was the only major death in this cartoon). The fact that Emma Frost tried to hold in the Phoenix Force in her diamond form to save the world and then blow up into a million pieces was definitely shocking and sad to see.

3. Bambi's mother's death in Bambi:

This moment definitely stood out for me as it was one of the first deaths of a parent in an animated movie and the one that really resided in the audience's minds.

4. Bunny's death in The Powerpuff Girls:

Bunny, who was the clone sister that the Powerpuff Girls had created in "Twisted Sister" was definitely heartbreaking since it just happened out of the blue and this was definitely the death that most fans talked about the most.

5. The Toon Shoe's death in Who Framed Roger Rabbit:

I've mentioned how Judge Doom's own death was definitely iconic, but the death of the innocent little toon shoe where it was being "dipped" was the one that really burned into fans' minds.

6. Vegeta's death during the Majin Buu saga:

I found this death to be the most heartwarming and gut wrenching out of the entire Dragonball Z series because during this moment, Vegeta started to realize that Goku only became the best warrior because he wanted to protect his family and friends from all evil and this caused Vegeta to do the same for his family and friends. So, Vegeta decided to sacrifice himself to save the world from Majin Buu.

7. Krillin's death during the Frieza Saga:

This moment was sad and iconic because Krillin's death pretty much caused Goku to transform into a Super Saiyan for the first time.

That list sounds about right to me. Lets not forget the death of android 16 during the cell saga. That really pissed gohan off.

#10 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Omigod, people!

Grave of the Fireflies

Setsuko...and just.....**tears up**

#11 Edited by Pyrogram (40922 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by Samimista (20831 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I didn't know you were an anime fan. =O I saw that movie for the first time during the summer. The beginning always sends shivers down my spine when; Seita's ghost starts narrating on how he died.

#13 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Optimus Prime. As a kid...wow, didn't see that one coming.

The Land Before Time is another one, with the death of Littlefoot's mom at the start.

Another one that comes to mind is the near-death of the toys at Toy Story 3, that was a pretty heavy moment.

#14 Posted by judasnixon (6651 posts) - - Show Bio

When the old dude's wife died in UP, I cried like a little girl.... My girlfriend at the time thought it was the funniest thing seeing a guy covered with tattoos crying at a kids movie.....

#15 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:

You must see it. YOU MUST.

@samimista said:

@lykopis: I didn't know you were an anime fan. =O I saw that movie for the first time during the summer. The beginning always sends shivers down my spine when; Seita's ghost starts narrating on how he died.

OMG -- I know, right? It's based on a photograph -- just the saddest thing and yeah. Kinda crying a bit now. It really affected me.

@judasnixon said:

When the old dude's wife died in UP, I cried like a little girl.... My girlfriend at the time thought it was the funniest thing seeing a guy covered with tattoos crying at a kids movie.....

This. Is. Freaking. Adorable. Triple "awwws" for you. :)

#16 Posted by Pyrogram (40922 posts) - - Show Bio

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#17 Posted by The Stegman (25034 posts) - - Show Bio

Me too, I'm not gonna lie, that was so sad.

#18 Posted by God_Spawn (38105 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes on the Vegeta one. Chris Sabat killed it.

On one less known, but definitely one of the most memorable IMO was Emrick from the Thundercats 2011 series. That was one of the most memorable and beautifully done deaths in any animated series IMO.

Longer version. Which shows Emrick's birth and death.

Short version. Ignore the subtitles, the video is in English.

And just as a back up. I know these 2 know it well.

@blood1991 @ragdollpurps

#19 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I didn't see him actually die, Joker in Mask of the Phantasm. The laugh was insane.

#20 Posted by God_Spawn (38105 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and I liked Abel Nightroad's in Trinity Blood. Not necessarily memorable but done extremely well.

#21 Posted by God_Spawn (38105 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: That episode.... I was not expecting at all. In thirty minutes it showed how short and beautiful life is.

On a side note

Spike Spiegal.

#23 Posted by Violens (543 posts) - - Show Bio

tessai's death in Ninja Scroll

#24 Posted by JediXMan (30937 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh* You guys should have expected this of me:

Death of Euphemia (and all of the events that led to it)

Death of Shirley:

Finally, the Death of Lelouch:

#25 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by blur99 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the most memorable one ever. The thread crumbles at the sight of this. People here are too young for this likely.

OPTIMUS falls...

#27 Posted by judasnixon (6651 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

(go to 3:08 to see actual event)

Omnimon's death.

I know he comes back, but there is something haunting about seeing him motionless and armless.

#29 Edited by cattlebattle (12986 posts) - - Show Bio

F**king Charlotte in Charlottes Web........

Honorable mentions to the Robot in Iron Giant. "S-Superman" T___T , and that episode of Futurama where the main characters (forgot his name) doggy dies...

#30 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

Dinobot from Beast Wars

#31 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone ever watch the original version of Sailor Moon? Not the English dubb. The Scouts DIED when they went to confront Queen Beryl

Not going to lie it was pretty traumatizing.

#32 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Another memorable animated death I wanted to mentioned was Judge Doom's own death in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. What was so ironic about that death was that he was killed by the very thing he created...THE DIP!!!

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17716 posts) - - Show Bio

THEM FEELZ! I absolutely adore UP, my favourite Pixar film. You win the internet and my follow! :)

#35 Posted by Reincarnated_Justice (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Mufasa's death was extremely haunting to me.

#36 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Mufasa's death was extremely haunting to me.

Me too, especially with Simba seeing the whole thing. This was definitely one of the deaths that really affected me.

#37 Posted by MrDirector786 (43607 posts) - - Show Bio

And Depthcharge from Beast Wars.

@mrdirector786 Slag :P.

I remember that. It was too bad he died. But to me his death wasn't as sad as Dinobot's.

Optimus' death was memorable at first, but he's died so many times that in more recent years I feel it's kind of lost its luster. Hopefully, they will keep him from dying for another few years.

#38 Posted by ImmortalOne (3495 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally West's death in the Young Justice finale deserves a mention.

#39 Edited by YoungJustice (6877 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally's Weath wasn't memorable at all, lol.

And Krillin just can't catch a break, I feel bad for him, he's died about 50 times.

#40 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone ever watch the original version of Sailor Moon? Not the English dubb. The Scouts DIED when they went to confront Queen Beryl

Not going to lie it was pretty traumatizing.

Oh yeah! I remembered that episode! It was so sad that all the Sailor Scouts died like that...

#41 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9970 posts) - - Show Bio

Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bepop

Fire Fist Ace/Whitebeard from One Piece

Kamina from TTGL

Light from Deathnote

#42 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

OP is spot on, Mufasa's death was so memorable because it was a what if death, Like what if Simba never ran off, it all could've been prevented.

#43 Edited by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: It is kind of the brother's fault for them dying.

@buttersdaman000: and Spike doesn't die :P

No -- he is just a kid himself and his "aunt" left them with nothing - the nuances in the story is the equivalent of her literally kicking them out. It was subtle but vicious in it's intent to cut loose her obligation to the children of her husband's sister. She had no biological ties to the children -- there was no love there, only resentment. Things were extremely difficult after the war -- this story was indicative of many situations of children and young people dying from having nothing -- starving and dying from malnutrition and disease.

There was really nothing the brother could do - that was the heartbreak. He had no where to go -- nothing to help take care of his little sister or himself. It was a futile, drawn own death for the both of them. The only blessing was that she died before him. It would have been much worse had it been the other way around. At least she got a proper burial.

I am curious though. What could he have done?

#45 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5130 posts) - - Show Bio

Optimus Prime

#46 Edited by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I don't remember the Aunt kicking them out (of course I haven't seen it in a year and the movie didn't really stick with me). I remember her being an all around b***h but still providing food and shelter. He shouldn't have encouraged them to leave because I remember the doctor saying all the little girl needed was food. He should have swallowed his pride and accepted the Aunts treatment. At least that way they would have survived.

#47 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18399 posts) - - Show Bio

Optimus Prime

Presume you are talking about the G1 death scene?

Some of my other picks

Starscreams death

Dinobots death.I wont bore people with my thoughts just click the video and watch it for yourself.A truly fitting end to a truly great character.

I also second Depth Charges And Rampages deaths too.

Very surprised no one has mentioned this one either.

That is it for now,just a few.

#48 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I don't remember the Aunt kicking them out (of course I haven't seen it in a year and the movie didn't really stick with me). I remember her being an all around b***h but still providing food and shelter. He shouldn't have encouraged them to leave because I remember the doctor saying all the little girl needed was food. He should have swallowed his pride and accepted the Aunts treatment. At least that way they would have survived.

I am going to agree with you. Even though this "aunt" forced him to sell his mother's kimonos for rice to feed the all of them, including her own family - staying put might have prevented their deaths. I remember the doctor telling him his sister needed food but the doctor offered nothing outside of that - I think the sense of responsibility of this fourteen year old boy was a big part in them dying but then again, (unless you are Japanese and know the mindset of the culture at the time) we have no way of knowing.

But yeah -- had that been me, I would have made my way back to this relative despite her horrid behaviour and begged for her to take us back in.

Sad.

#49 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Seymour from the ending of Futurama (S04E07, I believe).

I mean, I thought it was supposed to be a funny show. But then, they come out with this? Definitely fits under the "memorable" category, though. It even got nominated for an Emmy.

#50 Posted by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortalone: I cried like a baby when Wally died. Dick , Kaldur and Wally formed the team.... DEM FEELS! Also Barbra Gordon in Batman: TAS.